Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bringing your bicycle inside... Frowned upon?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-23, 10:16 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts

If you were out riding your cycle bicycle (not to be assumed all are equal in this case) & were to go visit a relative or friend, would you be expected to not bring your bicycle inside the living space aka dwelling? If yes, would it be allowed somewhere within a closed access area (garage, basement, mudroom) that is out of any weather & not visible to the public?

For those that are frowned upon (rejected) to bringing in there cycle bicycle & have a dog, are you openly welcome to bring your pet indoors with you to those relatives & friends place of residence?
If you are allowed to bring in the animal, but not the cycle bicycle, why is it?
Is it because it was never discussed? Are they allergic to the object & not the animal? I'm not talking about bringing in a touring bicycle loaded down ready for the campsite or a kids huffy caked with mud, grease & baseball cards in the spokes, or a recumbent with the massive "high" viz pole that might catch a ceiling fan or utility line.

I think the former question isn't something often discussed amongst friends & family & should be vetted before it may pose any "uncomfortable" moments.
Old 05-15-23, 10:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If you were out riding your cycle bicycle (not to be assumed all are equal in this case) & were to go visit a relative or friend, would you be expected to not bring your bicycle inside the living space aka dwelling? If yes, would it be allowed somewhere within a closed access area (garage, basement, mudroom) that is out of any weather & not visible to the public?

For those that are frowned upon (rejected) to bringing in there cycle bicycle & have a dog, are you openly welcome to bring your pet indoors with you to those relatives & friends place of residence?
If you are allowed to bring in the animal, but not the cycle bicycle, why is it?
Is it because it was never discussed? Are they allergic to the object & not the animal? I'm not talking about bringing in a touring bicycle loaded down ready for the campsite or a kids huffy caked with mud, grease & baseball cards in the spokes, or a recumbent with the massive "high" viz pole that might catch a ceiling fan or utility line.

I think the former question isn't something often discussed amongst friends & family & should be vetted before it may pose any "uncomfortable" moments.
The jury's divided on that according to the Inside Hot Car thread.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-15-23, 10:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
This doesn't seem hypothetical.

Why don't you just tell us about the specific argument you're having with someone, and we'll tell you what we think...?
Old 05-15-23, 10:46 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
This question seems very "situation-specific." Generally, people don't expect their guests to bring outdoor sporting equipment into the house with them. Not bikes, not skiis, not your skateboard, your hang-glider or your luge. Now, if the host is an enthusiast of the sport, that's obviously a different set of expectations. Dogs - I do not expect non-dog owners to welcome my dogs in their house. If I want to do that, I ask specifically in advance and really clarify that they genuinely want to extend that invitation - because the unexpected does happen. Most, but not all, of my friends' pets are welcome, but not for all events. Back to the bike question: my approach would be more like, "hey, I'd love to come in - but is there a secure place for me to put the bike?"
Old 05-15-23, 10:49 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Koyote
This doesn't seem hypothetical.

Why don't you just tell us about the specific argument you're having with someone, and we'll tell you what we think...?
You're assumption is not accurate.
I've not have any confrontations with another person. I find that being respectful to a point tends to not foster such confrontation.

Would you let others that visit you, bring in there cycle bicycle? If yes, do those that ride one clearly know they are allowed to do such?
Old 05-15-23, 10:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
You're assumption is not accurate.
I've not have any confrontations with another person. I find that being respectful to a point tends to not foster such confrontation.

Would you let others that visit you, bring in there cycle bicycle? If yes, do those that ride one clearly know they are allowed to do such?
Then your original post is too long, too complicated, and involves too many qualifiers for anyone to answer easily and definitively.

The answer depends on the friend/relative/acquaintance, on the bike/dog in question, on the situation.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-15-23, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Situations can vary quite a bit. If your hypothetical is in an apartment building, then I'd be uncomfortable with it anywhere but inside the apartment with me. If they lived in the typical single-family residence around here, then I'd be okay leaving it on the porch or sidewalk to the door. Unless I was going to be away or overnight from that location.

I wouldn't care if it was frowned upon unless my friend verbally lets me know. Otherwise, many of us routinely frown upon the things even our best of friends do, but we put up with it... because we're friends! And especially we do that if they are family.
Old 05-15-23, 10:58 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
This question seems very "situation-specific." Generally, people don't expect their guests to bring outdoor sporting equipment into the house with them. Not bikes, not skiis, not your skateboard, your hang-glider or your luge. Now, if the host is an enthusiast of the sport, that's obviously a different set of expectations. Dogs - I do not expect non-dog owners to welcome my dogs in their house. If I want to do that, I ask specifically in advance and really clarify that they genuinely want to extend that invitation - because the unexpected does happen. Most, but not all, of my friends' pets are welcome, but not for all events. Back to the bike question: my approach would be more like, "hey, I'd love to come in - but is there a secure place for me to put the bike?"
I am understanding of that logic. With me being me, if you have your canoe with you & I know it's something you value with high regard, I'll be sure to inform you where it can be accommodated for secure storage. I'll try to make the effort to be first to open that line of communication as I know how awkward it can be to initiate it from the other side.

Could you imagine being someone not having any kids & your relative stops by with there baby. "um, yeah, that'll have to stay on the porch... thanks for understanding!"
Old 05-15-23, 11:02 AM
Troul 

Then your original post is too long, too complicated, and involves too many qualifiers for anyone to answer easily and definitively.

The answer depends on the friend/relative/acquaintance, on the bike/dog in question, on the situation.
you're assuming I'm asking of others to answer for someone elses response to the question when I'm asking a rather direct question if it applies to someone that is relative to the question.

Not everyone has a dog nor does everyone have a cycle bicycle. Some have cats, recumbents, E-bikes, & trikes.

If it doesn't apply, need not to reply.
Old 05-15-23, 11:11 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Situations can vary quite a bit. If your hypothetical is in an apartment building, then I'd be uncomfortable with it anywhere but inside the apartment with me. If they lived in the typical single-family residence around here, then I'd be okay leaving it on the porch or sidewalk to the door. Unless I was going to be away or overnight from that location.

I wouldn't care if it was frowned upon unless my friend verbally lets me know. Otherwise, many of us routinely frown upon the things even our best of friends do, but we put up with it... because we're friends! And especially we do that if they are family.
I may not always be firing on all cylinders when thinking about such things that resemble the OP, however, I'm generally conscious about what my friends are into for hobbies. I honestly dont frown upon any of there choice hobbies, sometimes I like to know more about it while not trying to invade any privacy if that's a thing.
I "tolerate" family to a point, but if they have a wild animal or something, that isn't going to be tolerated at all. 2 way street.
Old 05-15-23, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10441 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
I recently asked one of my sisters, who lives in the house where we grew up and which still serves as a "gathering place" for the family, if I could ship a bike to keep there, so if I come for a visit I can ride. She said, "Sure, there's room in the White Garage".

The thing is, the White Garage is generally not locked, easily accessible from the outside, etc. I had been thinking maybe somewhere in the rather large house.

People who don't ride, or who don't ride bikes that cost North of $1000, don't see bikes the same as those of us who do.

Also worth noting here - most commercial landlords don't want bicycles inside the building, either. Our new landlord has "secure bicycle storage" - a fenced area in the parking garage with a padlock on the gate and bike racks you can lock your bike to. Okay for commuter bikes, but I'm damned if I'm going to put one of my road bikes in there. So it's the trunk for me!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-15-23, 11:20 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by genejockey
I recently asked one of my sisters, who lives in the house where we grew up and which still serves as a "gathering place" for the family, if I could ship a bike to keep there, so if I come for a visit I can ride. She said, "Sure, there's room in the White Garage".

The thing is, the White Garage is generally not locked, easily accessible from the outside, etc. I had been thinking maybe somewhere in the rather large house.

People who don't ride, or who don't ride bikes that cost North of $1000, don't see bikes the same as those of us who do.

Also worth noting here - most commercial landlords don't want bicycles inside the building, either. Our new landlord has "secure bicycle storage" - a fenced area in the parking garage with a padlock on the gate and bike racks you can lock your bike to. Okay for commuter bikes, but I'm damned if I'm going to put one of my road bikes in there. So it's the trunk for me!
Wonder if the insurance they carry, covers tenants in the event of a bicycle being damaged or stolen? If it does, what is the capped value? Required documentation?

If a landlord can afford to legally cover a tenants $1K+ bicycle, & provides storage that is out of the elements, then I can reason a lease agreement to not allow it being stored inside the dwelling.
Old 05-15-23, 11:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10441 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Wonder if the insurance they carry, covers tenants in the event of a bicycle being damaged or stolen? If it does, what is the capped value? Required documentation?

If a landlord can afford to legally cover a tenants $1K+ bicycle, & provides storage that is out of the elements, then I can reason a lease agreement to not allow it being stored inside the dwelling.
They accept no liability for bikes parked in the cage, nor cars in the parking garage. The usual "Don't leave valuables!" thing.

The place is only 2 miles from my house, though, so I think I'll probably commute by bike some days, but not on anything nice. I have a 29 year old Cannondale Hybrid I can refurb for commuting - which is why I originally bought it, BITD.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-15-23, 11:33 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I am not street parking my luge.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-15-23, 11:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
For me, it comes down to this...If I'm not allowed to put my bike in a place where I feel it will be secure, I'm not hanging around. I will come by another time without a bike.

Likewise with my dogs. I'm not going to bring them along for a visit to someone else's house unless I know if it's okay for the dogs to be in their house, or in a secure yard.
Old 05-15-23, 11:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I may not always be firing on all cylinders when thinking about such things that resemble the OP, however, I'm generally conscious about what my friends are into for hobbies. I honestly dont frown upon any of there choice hobbies, sometimes I like to know more about it while not trying to invade any privacy if that's a thing.
I "tolerate" family to a point, but if they have a wild animal or something, that isn't going to be tolerated at all. 2 way street.
So now we are including wild animals and only considering friends that have the same hobbies?

Still, for me it depends on whether this is a apartment building type setting or a single-family residential type place in a suburban environment.

Smile... I'm just jousting with you in a friendly way.
Old 05-15-23, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts

+1.

Whatever happened to simply asking? “When I stop by, is it ok if I bring….?” I always let people bring their bikes into my small house. Dogs? Probably not, because my giant cat might kick its butt.

There isn’t always an app for all life situations.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-15-23, 12:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There isn’t always an app for all life situations.
There actually is:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ifart-...pp/id293760823

Also available for Google phones:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-15-23, 12:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
People can be weird about bikes. Some people are understanding and accommodating, others think of them as toys that cost $100 and just get you to your friend’s house down the street. They might not be aware of the cost and commitment. Some people are worried about the tires tracking in dirt or the drivetrain dropping grease/oil. If I were to stay at someone’s place and wanted to bring my bike, I would make a point to ask “Do you have some place safe for me to store my bike?” I would also listen for any hint of hesitation and make sure they know it’s not a big deal if they can’t accommodate it. The only exception I can think of is when I’m staying with a fellow cyclist. Imagine a cabin with 4 bikes leaning against the walls, or a garage with the classic car moved to the street to accommodate the whole team’s stable for the weekend.

Could you imagine being someone not having any kids & your relative stops by with there baby. "um, yeah, that'll have to stay on the porch... thanks for understanding!"
As funny as that sounds, my aunt had no children and married a lawyer. Any time we visited as young children, they moved the fancy and dangerous stuff and locked certain doors, and my parents were cautious with us and where we ate. Hosting people with different lifestyles does take some logic and planning.

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-15-23 at 01:16 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 05-15-23, 12:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Not sure how the baby analogizes to the bike, but I seem to recall not being able to take my toddlers to some people's homes because stairs or something made the place impossible to baby-proof, and the visit would just be too nerve-racking for all concerned.

As far as the bike goes, this differs from other "sports equipment" in that it is the transportation I used to get to the home. I think this is definitely analogous to asking someone where I can park my car when visiting. Alas, there are places I don't visit because there literally is no place to park or safely secure a bike.

This is a completely situation-specific kind of question.

If I'm credit card camping, I do make a point of checking whether there's somewhere to secure my bike at the hotel or AirBnB when I reserve.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-15-23, 12:25 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
If they don't have room for the bike, they don't have room for me.

But they always have room for the bike. ​​​​​
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-15-23, 12:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I park the bike I ride in my home because a home without a bike inside isn't quite right, IMO.

I'd never bring one in to someone else's home without asking but when I ride to a friend's home, I bring a lock up bike and lock it up outside.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-15-23, 12:39 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Only if the chain is waxed and the dog is muzzled.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-15-23, 12:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
My take? Each person's home is is or her castle. It isn't up to me what is allowed inside. (In establishing that "castle", that person will have to deal with a landlord or neighborhood restrictions or mortgage company, etc. None of that is my business.) Honoring the rules of that castle is my obligation just like I expect others to honor mine. Calling ahead and asking about bike parking just isn't that hard. Don't have a bike you can safely park outside there? Well, we make our choices and get to live with them.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-15-23, 01:25 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
My house, my rules

If you stop by my place bring the bike in lets talk
Likes For Germany_chris:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.