Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Thorn Sherpa advice

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Thorn Sherpa advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 09:45 AM
scp0271
Pantamito

Bikes: Thorn Sherpa/Brompton Classic L /Cannondale MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thorn Sherpa advice

Hi, I'm new here. Has anyone got a link or some advise about the following, please?
my Sherpa' birthday is next month and I'm planning on mounting a kickstand. I've been traveling fully loaded, front and back for medium/long distances over the last few months. I could do with one. But. Would a central stand compromise the frame or a side stand not be strong enough? Help.
Thanks.
Old 03-05-10, 09:57 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You can mount an ESGE double legged kickstand on your Sherpa, you can mount a rear chainstay mounted single legged kickstand or you could use a Clickstand which is not permanently mounted to your bike. I have used all three and they all work with some pros and cons. You certainly can use all three without damaging your Sherpa, but the ESGE stand in particular has the potential to damage the frame if you don't protect it during the install or if you crank down the mounting bolt like crazy.

EGSE:
- I find is both convenient and very stable
- can be deployed in a second and retracted just as fast
- I've had no issues with a fully loaded touring bike supported by this stand even in soft conditions
- when not in use it's tucked out of the way
- you do need to take care when installing it, but protecting your frame is not hard [3 mins with some tape or old inner tube]
- you'd have to really go nuts tightening down the mounting bolt to do some damage, but for sure some people don't pay attention and have done it
- heaviest of these options

Single legged kickstand:
- easy to deploy
- light
- cheap
- I don't find it as stable as the other options, but it does work
- I find them quite ugly

Clickstand:
- custom made for your bike
- takes a bit of time to deploy and some free hands
- you have to pull it out and put it away for each use
- very light
- don't have to use it or have it on your bike for each ride
- quite stable when used properly with a brake lever activated by a rubber band
- you can lose it or have it stolen easily

I had a Thorn Sherpa myself - nice bike!

If you think you'll want to use your stand a lot - like for errand runs and general use I'd go with the ESGE stand. It's way more convenient than the Clickstand for frequent use and it's always there on your bike ready to go.

If you only need a stand occasionally like on a tour the Clickstand is a nice option that you can leave at home when not needed.
Old 03-05-10, 03:53 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Sherpa with a Click-stand.

I agree in that it wouldn't be great for a lot of frequent stops but for tours where you need to stop and there is nothing to lean your bike against, it's great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike parts 034.jpg (102.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-05-10, 04:37 PM
eric von zipper

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a single leg kickstand. I've had the rear panniers loaded but haven't had it fully loaded. It was stable enough. I think having something to lock the brake levers down should help with it fully loaded (at least I think). Don't have any pics fully loaded, but here's one naked with the kickstand down. I'll load it up this weekend and test it out.

Old 03-08-10, 01:06 PM
scp0271
Pantamito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow,
thanks a mill guys! That definitely answered the question. I bow to you! What about rearview mirrors...so far I have done without, but on my last trip I hit a f.....g pot hole whilst looking back and almost crashed. Any advise based on your experience?

Thanks again.

Here's my donkey:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bresk.jpg (101.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-08-10, 01:21 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scp0271
Wow,
thanks a mill guys! That definitely answered the question. I bow to you! What about rearview mirrors...so far I have done without, but on my last trip I hit a f.....g pot hole whilst looking back and almost crashed. Any advise based on your experience?

Thanks again.

Here's my donkey:

I used this mirror on my Sherpa and use it currently on my LHT and my road bike. Installs/removes super easy. Will survive a reasonable crash/fall. I haven't found one I like better for drop bars.
Old 03-08-10, 05:07 PM
scp0271
Pantamito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worthy of worship!
Thanks

Last edited by scp0271; 03-08-10 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-09-10, 12:51 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Here's my donkey:
Lovely! I'm saving my pennies for a Thorn.

Where was that picture taken? It looks like Holland with all those bikes in the background.
Old 03-09-10, 05:16 AM
scp0271
Pantamito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I tried the sherpa on the dunes of Holland. I went to the Zeeland. Beautiful area, especially on a sunny day. The country is so good for cycling! I see you're from Seville. I am planning my first long trip from the UK to Gibilterra next year. Any advice/experience?
Old 03-09-10, 07:23 AM
Brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had about 4 different kick stands on my Thorn Nomad

The first 3 were conventional ones that are mounted forward of the back wheel. All three bent/broke/moved within a matter of days, and they did not keep the bike up fully loaded.

The 4th stand I bought was one that mounts on the rear triangle and so is almost level with the rear axel.
No only does the bike stand up fully loaded, the final stand was fitted nearly 10 years ago, gets kicked up and down a dozen times a day and is still working.

The solution to the locking the front wheel so that it stay parallel to the fmae is the smallest bungee cord you can find, something under 6" is good, and simply bungee the whell to the frame.

The solution to locking the brakes is a 1" tube cut from an old inner tube, you keep it on your handelbars, and you loop it over the brakes when you stop, the rear brake is then locked on
Old 03-09-10, 07:32 AM
finnyfinfinbar

Bikes: Specialized hardrock but want a tourer.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi scp0271,

How does the Thorn rate against other bikes in it's class (kona, cannondale, giant etc) when considering a bike for traveling the world over many years?

Great thread, I'm new too and learning more from other peoples questions than my own. I'm that new I don't even know what to ask!!!!

Daz.
Old 03-10-10, 07:41 AM
scp0271
Pantamito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finnyfinfinbar
Hi scp0271,

How does the Thorn rate against other bikes in it's class (kona, cannondale, giant etc) when considering a bike for traveling the world over many years?

Great thread, I'm new too and learning more from other peoples questions than my own. I'm that new I don't even know what to ask!!!!

Daz.
@Daz

I've got very little experience at Touring the world. At the momet I am touring England and a little of Europe when I can. Mainly Over long week ends or 1 week trip. So far I have been to France Belgium and Holland because of the time I haven't got. However I am planning a trip to Spain or Italy to happen within the next 15 months . I did a lot of reading and surfing the web before I bought the Sherpa. I used to ride a Trek XO1, cyclocross, around the city and sometimes, change the tyres, and ride it down to the coast. That's how I got into touring. I was enjoying more and more the leisure/touristy side of cycling more than the speed and time trials. Thorn to my opinion is a very good make. First of all I have actually spoken to who has built my bike, wheels included. Whilst the other options like Cannondale and Kona etc I had to rely on a pre assembled piece of metal,, packed and ready to be delivered. The all process from research to final decision has been more "organic" then a simple click and collect. Second I liked the idea of the smaller tyres. It sounded right and now I can say that it also feels right. Third I do not own a car, so I needed a strong bike, one that I could use every day but also ride to the other end of the world. And I am a very happy customer. The bike is a donkey. Strong and most of all stable. Nothing bad to say about it at all. Great make and great rides. I really wouldn't know about the other brands you mention.

@Ekdog

Thanks for the info about Spain! If it's not too much bother...what's the best maker of maps for cycling in Spain, one that has bike routes on it (like OS in the UK). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for all the other advise.
Old 03-10-10, 12:28 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
@scp0271,

Hope this isn't a thread hijack, but ... another cyclist here seriously considering the Sherpa as an all-around, do-everything bike.
Quick question: given your experience, would you think a Sherpa (with a fairly light initial build) makes/would make a good, quickish-commuting/light touring bike for now, adaptable later to longer-distance loaded touring (its clear intended use) once time/work/finances allow?
Cheers
Old 03-10-10, 02:18 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you don't mind me answering but when I don't tour, I mount some 26x1.25 Pasela TGs and the bike rolls really well. I have owned a 520 and LHT and I would consider the Sherpa to the quickest of the three unloaded. 520 would be in 2nd and the LHT a distant 3rd in case you are wondering.
Old 03-10-10, 02:30 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by aroundoz
I hope you don't mind me answering but when I don't tour, I mount some 26x1.25 Pasela TGs and the bike rolls really well. I have owned a 520 and LHT and I would consider the Sherpa to the quickest of the three unloaded. 520 would be in 2nd and the LHT a distant 3rd in case you are wondering.
Not at all -- quite the contrary Just directed my question initially to the OP out of courtesy. Your comments are precisely what I was looking for -- some input from people who use the bike this way. Especially helpful because you've a real basis for comparison.
As you might have gathered, my intended use for the bike would be the other way round initially: primarily set up with a light build/wheels for commuting, day rides, light shortish touring (but with those added capabilities down the road). As it happens, I use the Pasela TGs as well -- love 'em in either the 1.5 or 1.75.
Thanks again
Old 03-10-10, 04:26 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vik

I used this mirror on my Sherpa and use it currently on my LHT and my road bike. Installs/removes super easy. Will survive a reasonable crash/fall. I haven't found one I like better for drop bars.
Wow, I totally have that same mirror mounted the other way. Nice picture.

Love the donkey... it's free, all those other poor bikes are imprisoned.
Old 03-11-10, 06:43 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
@Ekdog Thanks for the info about Spain! If it's not too much bother...what's the best maker of maps for cycling in Spain, one that has bike routes on it (like OS in the UK). Any help is appreciated.
I'm afraid I can't offer you much advice about touring in Spain as most of the touring I've done up to now has been over in Portugal. I've never heard of good cycling maps for this country. If anyone knows of any, please let us know. I rely on my GPS, which is okay, but it often sends me onto heavily travelled roads that I'd rather have avoided.

If you pass through Seville, be sure to look me up so we can have a cerveza.
Old 03-11-10, 11:37 AM
scp0271
Pantamito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I'm afraid I can't offer you much advice about touring in Spain as most of the touring I've done up to now has been over in Portugal. I've never heard of good cycling maps for this country. If anyone knows of any, please let us know. I rely on my GPS, which is okay, but it often sends me onto heavily travelled roads that I'd rather have avoided.

If you pass through Seville, be sure to look me up so we can have a cerveza.

...will do, thank you. Or you could join me in the south of seville! Thanks anyway.

@badger1
It really depends what type of commuting. The Sherpa is a little on the heavy side. It's ON THE GROUND when you ride it. At least with my set-up. I mount Panaracer Pasela 1,75, and world tour specs. I don't and wouldn't drive it around the city on a daily basis. It would be a waste and not as agile as a hybrid or single speed (if you've got the quads for that!). To me, it's my Range Rover. I prefer a Brompton for zipping around town. It's much lighter, floating around traffic and jumping on the occasional tube. I ride the Sherpa for p_leasure. But if your commuting involves long rides...maybe...I'm pretty sure Thorn give you the chance of trying the bike out.
In culo alla balena.
Old 03-11-10, 12:10 PM
Brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Thorn Nomad as my main commuting bike, it may not be the fastest, but it's comfortable, will carry anything, and is far more capable than most at putting up with the rigours of a daily commute, potholes, salted roads, grime, excessive acceleration and braking etc
Old 03-11-10, 12:35 PM
badger1

@scp0271 and Brains,

Thanks much; all replies are helpful! Unfortunately, I'm in Canada so Thorn's 'return it' policy doesn't come into play, practically speaking -- I'd have to buy blind, hence the questions.

I suppose what I'm looking for is something that could be built up 'light enough' to more or less work as well as what I use now, but with the added capability of more extended touring down the road.

I'm a 'one bike' sort of person; current 'all purpose' rig is a pretty light-build hardtail mtb (suspension, discs, 'commuting' weight of about 24 lbs or so) using Paselas (1.5 folding). I use it for everything, including shortish (for now) tours (frame fortunately has rack mounts); looking for something a little 'simpler' and perhaps just a little stronger. Should have bought a Thorn xtc frame when they were available -- I think that probably was even closer to what I'm looking for. Oh well!
Cheers
Old 03-11-10, 12:49 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Quick question: given your experience, would you think a Sherpa (with a fairly light initial build) makes/would make a good, quickish-commuting/light touring bike for now, adaptable later to longer-distance loaded touring (its clear intended use) once time/work/finances allow?
Cheers

I've owned a Thorn Sherpa and have a Nomad at the moment. The Sherpa frame isn't uber heavy in the grand scheme of things. If you had a light-ish wheel set and performance tires you could build it up for commuting, swap in some fatter rubber for light touring and then some heavier wheels as you wanted to carry more weight and handle rougher terrain.
Old 03-11-10, 03:17 PM
scp0271
Pantamito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=badger1;10511819]@scp0271 and Brains,

Thanks much; all replies are helpful! Unfortunately, I'm in Canada so Thorn's 'return it' policy doesn't come into play, practically speaking -- I'd have to buy blind, hence the questions.

...sorry did not think about location. Anyway thanks for the advise to all.
Old 03-11-10, 04:34 PM
finnyfinfinbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scp0271,

Thanks for starting this thread as I have come to learn of the Thorn range and am liking what I see. I have some more reading up to do but I am seriously considering the Sherpa. They have an ex-display model on ebay £1109, thoughts...anyone?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THORN-SHERPA-S...item51910d2c10

Best,

Daz.
Old 03-11-10, 04:51 PM
eric von zipper

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finnyfinfinbar
scp0271,

Thanks for starting this thread as I have come to learn of the Thorn range and am liking what I see. I have some more reading up to do but I am seriously considering the Sherpa. They have an ex-display model on ebay £1109, thoughts...anyone?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THORN-SHERPA-S...item51910d2c10

Best,

Daz.
I didn't keep track of how much money I spent to build mine, but it was probably close, or more likely more, to what they are selling it for. The only thing I would say is to make sure the frame is the right size for you, Thorn makes a variety. I emailed back and forth with the folks at SJS Cycles to determine what was best for me. It worked out. I absolutely love mine
Old 03-11-10, 05:03 PM
finnyfinfinbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Eric,

I hadn't realized, I thought it was a case of raising or lowering the saddle post for the correct fit! I'm 5'10" with an inside leg of 31-32" - standard bloke size I'm hoping!

Daz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.