Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Kick stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 05:12 PM
Thumper1279

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kick stand

I'm looking for a good kickstand should I pick one that would go on the back wheel area or one that is more center in the bike like near the pedals ? I've seen both before but never used kick stands before I also was looking at a 2 post kickstand but don't want to spend that much I'd like to be around 10 15 at most if it's possible and it needs to be good for my 19 inch Fran 29er bike
Any suggestions

Also does anyone here use bell or showing helmets question I was at the bike shop today looking at helmets but just can't afford the 50 and up prices they have there so then I when's to walmart and tried a few on that would be around 24 dollars each and found one bell anda swing that fit good

Did find a bottle holder at the local shop that would hold my daily water bottle that it fit in so picking that up when I take it in for a check up to make sure I put it together right
I already talked to the shop they said 44 for a basic tune up or if they look and see it's all good then it would just be like 8 dollars. For each component that might need to be set or adjusted right
Like the brakes and the gearing
Also plan on getting a bigger seat from the local shop
Old 04-02-14, 05:42 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Old 04-02-14, 05:44 PM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is it my spelling or no paragraphs that's got you .?
Old 04-02-14, 07:01 PM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumper- A benefit of hanging out here to read and ask questions is that communication skills improve over time. Most of us can stand some skill polishing, and someone is always willing to point out our errors. Welcome to the editing room.

I've only used the single post kickstand style that mounts just aft of the bottom bracket. If you need a kickstand, this type works very well. Lots of cyclists don't use a kickstand, but thats up to each individual.

Your Walmart helmet should work fine if it fits well. Keep the chin strap from drooping when you're riding.

An $8 bike shop check up to see if your bike needs adjustments sounds like a fair deal.

Good luck. Ride safely.
Old 04-02-14, 07:31 PM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you My issue is that sometime i forget to use spell check but i do have legitimate issues with punctuation but sometimes i forget to try and fix it when im in a hurry .

when you say just after the bottom bracket are you talking about the ones that is down under near the medals ?
or are you talking about bracket near the back wheel ? im confused about that
Old 04-02-14, 09:30 PM
gtrdave

Bikes: Cannondale F29, Cannondale Trail 29 ss, Cannondale CAAD8, Specialized P1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where the arms attached to the pedals meet the frame. That's called a bottom bracket (where the round bearings are located) and it's typical for kickstands to be mounted right behind there.
Your local bike shop should have a kickstand available cheap or free because most people on mountain bikes do not use them due to 1) weight and 2) they could drop down while jumping/turning and 3) the pedal arm can smack into them if they become loose. Most bikes ship with one, but rarely are they installed, so they may have one lying around for you to use.
Old 04-02-14, 10:35 PM
SwampDude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here ya go, Thumper. This short UTube video shows how to install a kickstand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTZCRqTstaE
Old 04-02-14, 10:49 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Why would anyone put a kickstand on mountain bike?
Old 04-02-14, 10:57 PM
SwampDude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Why would anyone put a kickstand on mountain bike?
Maybe Thumper plans to put smooth tires on that puppy and cruise around town. I know some folks who cruise on a mountain bike because they like the fat tire stability. Just guessing.
Old 04-02-14, 11:01 PM
rebel1916

Than post the question in the commuter forum, where it makes sense, rather than the MTB forum which is filled with rad bro/brahs like myself who wouldn't pee on a kickstand if it was on fire.
Old 04-03-14, 07:01 AM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry excuse me my apologys for not being cool like you
Old 04-03-14, 07:02 AM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not going to worry about a kickstand Thsnks for the help and all
Old 04-03-14, 07:06 AM
rebel1916

^^^^^Good plan brah!
Old 04-03-14, 07:07 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
It's nothing about being cool but you posted this on an MTB forum, kickstands don't belong on MTB's end of story.

If you had posted on say the commuter forum., then you would have got more positive replies.
Old 04-03-14, 07:12 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
It's nothing about being cool but you posted this on an MTB forum, kickstands don't belong on MTB's end of story.

If you had posted on say the commuter forum., then you would have got more positive replies.
yes... the kickstand positive negative ratio does vary on the different forums :-)
Old 04-03-14, 07:47 AM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks
the thing is if I was going to use and abuse in mountain and rocks I'd get something other than a hard tail I'm going to be doing some off road but not as much with this now if I had one I was going to use for heavy riding full suspension then I'd not do this
Old 04-03-14, 07:49 AM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by Thumper1279
Ok thanks
the thing is if I was going to use and abuse in mountain and rocks I'd get something other than a hard tail I'm going to be doing some off road but not as much with this now if I had one I was going to use for heavy riding full suspension then I'd not do this
I ride a hardtail in mountain and rocks.
Old 04-03-14, 07:55 AM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
I ride a hardtail in mountain and rocks.
i didn't mean for it to be a bad statement about not using a hard tail at all offroad like that
should have been more clear for me i wouldn't because im 300 pounds and from experience when i was even heavier the rear end would taco and id be out a frame
so for me being heavy like i am i wouldn't
sorry for the conffusion
Old 04-03-14, 08:14 AM
gtrdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumper1279
i didn't mean for it to be a bad statement about not using a hard tail at all offroad like that
should have been more clear for me i wouldn't because im 300 pounds and from experience when i was even heavier the rear end would taco and id be out a frame
so for me being heavy like i am i wouldn't
sorry for the conffusion
I've got a buddy who is well over 300 and he rides a Niner hardtail on all of the same trails that I ride. Granted, he doesn't bomb down trails at the same speed as some of us, but he carries more weight and the frame and components have all held up well.
You definitely don't want to buy "race" components (i.e., light weight parts made for 150lbs guys) nor a race frame, but a good quality hardtail should have no problem holding up to you IF your technique is good (i.e., not sitting down all the time, esp. downhill)
Old 04-03-14, 08:37 AM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrdave
I've got a buddy who is well over 300 and he rides a Niner hardtail on all of the same trails that I ride. Granted, he doesn't bomb down trails at the same speed as some of us, but he carries more weight and the frame and components have all held up well.
You definitely don't want to buy "race" components (i.e., light weight parts made for 150lbs guys) nor a race frame, but a good quality hardtail should have no problem holding up to you IF your technique is good (i.e., not sitting down all the time, esp. downhill)
ok cool thanks
i was specificaly looking for a good strong sturdy but light weight frame
the bike i got the frame is a material called DP780 i researched it a bit and found out ill give it a try and see how it works out
once it comes i need to look at the fork now will the company that made the fork but on the fork anywhere since its comming from a bike company not just the fork company ? i mean its branded with Alton the brand of the bike but i didn't see in pictures anywhere that is said who makes the fork
is there any way i can tell when looking where it would say that ?
Old 04-03-14, 08:46 AM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a link to the bike you bought?
Old 04-03-14, 08:58 AM
gtrdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did a little research on Alton and watched their promo video on DP780 steel and I'm just a little suspect of their claims. Also, their bikes seem to be equipped on the low-end of the spectrum. Not Wal-Mart low-end, but Shimano Altus/Acera derailleurs on their high-end 29er makes me suspicious of what kind of no-name suspension fork and other questionable components are part of the package.
But if it works for you, cool.

I'll be interested to read a review once the bike arrives and you've had time to ride it a few times.
Old 04-03-14, 09:06 AM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrdave
I just did a little research on Alton and watched their promo video on DP780 steel and I'm just a little suspect of their claims. Also, their bikes seem to be equipped on the low-end of the spectrum. Not Wal-Mart low-end, but Shimano Altus/Acera derailleurs on their high-end 29er makes me suspicious of what kind of no-name suspension fork and other questionable components are part of the package.
But if it works for you, cool.

I'll be interested to read a review once the bike arrives and you've had time to ride it a few times.

i for sure will wright a review i got it because the frame comes with a 2 year warranty and the other parts all have 1 year warranty
i wanted Shimano i know that its lower end shimano but its still quality stuff
and not going to be cheap like walmart or target items

and i can always upgrade at a later time
I was wondering thought can i upgrade the spring in the front fork to be a better quality and resistance for me or ist he only way to upgrade that by replacing the fork itself with better quality like Rock Shok ?
Old 04-03-14, 09:07 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Everyone has to start somewhere. The kick stand question has been asked before. You got off easy. Stick around we have lots to share. A mountain bike is the best bike in the world for any comparable price point. The whole world is your trail system, kick it hard bro!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-03-14, 09:10 AM
Thumper1279

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncfisherman
Do you have a link to the bike you bought?
here is the link
Corsa DP-X9 29er Men?s 29" 24-Speed Mountain Bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.