Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Too Many Irresponsible Cagers

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Too Many Irresponsible Cagers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 09:46 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
No cyclist 'controls' multi-ton road vehicles piloted by human beings with varying degrees of aptitude and anger management skills. What you are experiencing is the bell curve of social order and civility. Do not confuse the average persons reluctance to murder a total stranger in cold blood with your 'control' over their basic nature. That way lies hubris. Oh the hubris. You yourself said you 'can't totally eliminate close passes'. Actually, you can't eliminate ANY of them! So just be thankful that 90% of drivers have no wish to buzz you, because, if they did ... they would. And that would really suck, wouldn't it?
If I'm in the lane and drivers actively and safely avoid me, that's the definition of control.

I care not "why" controlling a lane works, only that it does.

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You are partly correct. FYI...here are my "rules" for "controlling" a traffic lane.

1. I have to be moving at or near 20 mph to even consider controlling a lane.

2. The posted speed limit must be AT MOST 35 mph. Unless...

3. I am descending a mountain pass DOING the speed limit or exceeding it. Then I will act like I am on a motorcycle.

Otherwise, I stay far right. If I get buzzed, that's my problem. Perhaps I should reconsider the route or my choice of transportation. In my opinion, controlling a traffic lane under any other circumstances is rude, selfish, and dangerous for everybody concerned including innocent motorists traveling in the opposite direction.

So yes, I have controlled many lanes in my time under some very strict parameters. Mostly in the city grid where everybody is moving at 25 mph or less.
I agree with #1 . When controlling a lane, I always ramp up my speed. Both out of consideration for others and for my safety. Notice consideration came first. As long as they see me, and I'm keeping tabs on them, I'm safe no matter my speed.

#2 & 3. There is no way for me to get to work only using 30-35 mph roads. Not my fault. Sometimes the lane on 45-55 mph roads is just not safe to share. I understand this would send others to grab their car keys and I'm fine with that. Yet after 13+ years issue free I'm convinced that their fear is misguided.

The only reason more cyclists don't get hit from behind while hogging a travel lane is because most motorists do not want to damage their vehicles or be delayed by hitting us. Otherwise, I believe many drivers would be perfectly happy to steamroll me.
I disagree, but again, who cares why controlling a lane works. As long as drivers are taking me into account and treating me safely, and I'm prepared for the extreme few who don't, that's what matters.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 08-25-19 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 07:00 PM
NeilBurt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
3 foot rule.

I'm riding home from work, guy blows by me, missing me by inches. In a couple lights, where I turn left to get on the bike trail, ride up alongside him, banged my fist as hard as I could on his blacked out SUV's window, yelling at him asking why he was trying to kill me. Well, he was some kind of body builder just getting home from the gym who tried to get out of his vehicle presumably to kick my butt, but got caught up in his seatbelt, the left turn arrow came on for me me, so I took off down the bike trail. So be careful telling people about that law, you might run into some resistance.
Old 08-26-19, 10:26 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
If I'm in the lane and drivers actively and safely avoid me, that's the definition of control.

I care not "why" controlling a lane works, only that it does.
Right. In other words, you got nothin'. About what I figured ...
Old 08-27-19, 08:32 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Right. In other words, you got nothin'. About what I figured ...
What???

If you are referring to the fact that I admit I don’t know what motorists are thinking when they treat me safely on the road, then yes, I got nothin’. I can’t read their minds. The hubris is thinking that one can… Even from the “safety” of their indoor spin bike.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-27-19, 10:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
What???

If you are referring to the fact that I admit I don’t know what motorists are thinking when they treat me safely on the road, then yes, I got nothin’. I can’t read their minds. The hubris is thinking that one can… Even from the “safety” of their indoor spin bike.
Basically, you and I have about the same strategy, which is, as I understand it, stay as far out of the blind spots as you possibly can so that someone has to really want to hit you to do so. I'm pretty clear that neither of us is contemplating putting ourselves out there in the middle of a 45-55 mph lane under anything approaching normal circumstances.

I knew a guy who was killed sitting at an indoor bar when a car came crashing through the store front. The driver actually meant to do that. No strategy is effective against the truly homicidal.
Old 08-28-19, 06:29 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Selfish and rude ..

How come taking the lane can ever be selfish and rude ?
Dangerous? Maybe .. but selfish and rude ? can anyone elaborate that ?
Old 08-29-19, 07:41 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Most of the time when I take the lane, they are on roads and streets with another lane for cars to move into to pass me safely. I also take the lane on really congested and slow moving traffic where cars can't go any faster than me anyways.
Those times I don't take the lane and cycle on the right side, cars just skim by too closely. I find that's dangerous and they happen on smaller streets, the kind where cyclists recommend to use to avoid heavy traffic.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-30-19, 06:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Close passes by motorists are part of the program for all road cyclists. If you can't tolerate close passes, then you will always be unhappy cycling around motorists. Close passes are completely out of our control. Carefully choosing how we live our lives and what chances we are willing to take is 100% within our control. The only solution to cure close passes by motorists is to stay off the roads.

If someone continues to makes a choice and it often causes them misery, who's fault is that?
I'm not sure what this has to do with the words in my quote.

Using roads, whether on a bike, motorcycle or in a car is at least partly out of your control since there are others around you that have control of what happens.
While the only way to cure close passes is to not ride on roads, there are ways to reduce the frequency so the risk is significantly mitigated.

Its unrealistic to expect no close passes ever- close passes happen between cars too. It's just part of using roads.
Old 08-30-19, 06:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
You are partly correct. FYI...here are my "rules" for "controlling" a traffic lane.

1. I have to be moving at or near 20 mph to even consider controlling a lane.

2. The posted speed limit must be AT MOST 35 mph. Unless...

3. I am descending a mountain pass DOING the speed limit or exceeding it. Then I will act like I am on a motorcycle.

Otherwise, I stay far right. If I get buzzed, that's my problem. Perhaps I should reconsider the route or my choice of transportation. In my opinion, controlling a traffic lane under any other circumstances is rude, selfish, and dangerous for everybody concerned including innocent motorists traveling in the opposite direction.

So yes, I have controlled many lanes in my time under some very strict parameters. Mostly in the city grid where everybody is moving at 25 mph or less.

The only reason more cyclists don't get hit from behind while hogging a travel lane is because most motorists do not want to damage their vehicles or be delayed by hitting us. Otherwise, I believe many drivers would be perfectly happy to steamroll me.
You finally offer up some actual content and much of it ends up being a repeat of what I have said multiple times now, and you ignored.
Classic Joey.

As for your last paragraph, that's just bitterness and hopelessness showing thru. To claim most motorists dont hit and 'steamroll' other human beings is only due to not wanting to damage their car or be delayed is absurd. You truly are too skewed to offer up any opinion that should be considered by others.

It's no wonder you stopped cycling- such an outlook in life would stop most from cycling.
I hope your electric longboard routes offer greater safety.
Old 08-30-19, 07:53 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I hope your electric longboard routes offer greater safety.
I do not own any motorized vehicles of any sort. Just FYI.
Old 08-30-19, 07:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
...close passes happen between cars too. It's just part of using roads.
The exoskeleton makes all the difference.
Old 08-30-19, 08:37 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Today I suffered a trifecta of gasholishness on the short, 5 mile, commute home: exchanged one horned salutes with the stereo-typical steroidial pickup driver that couldn't be arsed to use an empty passing lane OR the ability to count to three; nearly get taken out, in a crosswalk (state law be damned), by a selfish bimbette that ignored every bit of her humanity, the airzound, and my life, to fly to the next, closeby, stop sign; then the jalopie driver that comes second to the stop and then tries to slide by me as I navigate past 4 lanes of cross traffic (yelled that one down) all on a bicycle priority road. Clown made an ok pass in the next section of road, but almost took out an on coming car!

Crossing the perimeter mup bridge, with a non-bicyclic horror scene below: two totally burned out cars from yet another grim gasaholic incident....

Fortunately the rest was peaceful....