Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Something you need to understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Something you need to understand

Old 08-05-19, 01:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by literal trope
Why do you care how fast or how hard strangers on the internet ride?

Why do you assume that those strangers miss things because they ride at a different pace than you do?

Why do you assume that those strangers finish their rides at home and that they don't have anything else to do but watch TV?
Besides which TV is actually pretty great these days. OP probably thinks there's still only 3 channels to watch.

I ride fast and cover a lot of ground. Consequently, I see a lot, and I can also slow down if I want to take a better look. Why anyone but me would care about that, I don't know, but it appears to be the subject of this thread.
Old 08-05-19, 01:24 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I'm curious what OP thinks you can see at 12 mph that you can't see at 20.
Old 08-05-19, 01:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ksryder
The dog's teeth as he catches you.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-05-19, 01:40 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In the old days people would have a live and let live mentality. Well, all those people are dead now. LOL
Do what I do and like it!
Old 08-05-19, 01:40 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
never understood the point of these threads. do what you want, no one cares.
Oh no. Here everybody cares. And, some absolutely know how you should ride.
Old 08-05-19, 01:42 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by jack002
In the old days people would have a live and let live mentality. Well, all those people are dead now. LOL
Do what I do and like it!
Yes. Human history is full of examples of tolerance for opposing viewpoints.

Likes For ksryder:
Old 08-05-19, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
IKR. That's a total B.S. position. During faster club rides I am usually the one pointing out stuff like wildlife both on the ground and in the sky.
Old 08-05-19, 01:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
And, some absolutely know how you should ride.
The OP being the PRIME example.
Old 08-05-19, 01:44 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't think speed has much to do with how long a ride lasts..
Unless you stop, I believe it does.
Old 08-05-19, 01:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
IIRC, in a previous version of this thread, OP explained that he posted this regularly as a service to new forum members. Maybe the mods could make this a sticky if deemed useful? If not, maybe the OP could get over it. Or we can have all this fun again periodically until the kids take the keyboard way.
Old 08-05-19, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Until you have mastered the art of riding slow while riding fast, you are merely on the bike, not of the bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-05-19, 02:16 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I'd like to start a thread like this in a driving forum about how I like to drive at the speed limit. However, I would expect to get flamed for blocking traffic because nobody else is driving at the speed limit.
Old 08-05-19, 02:45 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
He works for a copier company. He's not military or first responder.
Tim, I agree that there's a moral blind spot in many companies regarding respect for the human. That said, if you sign on for a job knowing the requirements, then my view is you're honor-bound to fulfill em as best you can. So if the copier company hires you with the proviso "You'll be on call 24/7", you kind of know the rules beforehand. And a copier or a fax machine in a hospital admissions department may indeed be mission critical. That said, I think that there's Fair Labor Standards payment and overtime requirements that kick in if they demand your availability under some conditions.

I recall a friend of mine, let's call him Roy, having a discussion with the boss (call him Bob).
Bob: Roy, We're gonna need to send you to Saudi Arabia for the XYZ project for the next six months.
Roy: Bob, I don't believe I care to go to Saudi Arabia.
Bob (becoming excited): Roy, you may not have a choice!
Roy (in his very relaxed, unhurried, calm voice): Bob, I always have a choice.
That ended the conversation.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 08-05-19, 02:46 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I'd like to start a thread like this in a driving forum about how I like to drive at the speed limit. However, I would expect to get flamed for blocking traffic because nobody else is driving at the speed limit.
Yeah, I've already seen that exact discussion between drivers, where the ones who said that they drive the speed limit on highways were being flamed and told by drivers who drive faster that they're the ones who cause accidents, due to being "slower" than everyone else who's driving faster (even though studies about car accidents have shown the opposite).
Old 08-05-19, 03:23 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
Well, I only wave back at folks on real bikes.
People on real bikes don't wave.
Old 08-05-19, 03:43 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I guess there are a lot of fake bikes out there. How do I tell the difference? I also ride a trike and can tell you that a lot of riders in full kit and riding a regular DF bike wave. Maybe it is the fact that I ride frequently and probably see the same riders over and over. Sure there are a few with their noses pointed downward who probably don't see anything but the road ahead. Doesn't bother me.
Old 08-05-19, 04:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Yes. Human history is full of examples of tolerance for opposing viewpoints.

Win.
Old 08-05-19, 04:23 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Tim, I agree that there's a moral blind spot in many companies regarding respect for the human. That said, if you sign on for a job knowing the requirements, then my view is you're honor-bound to fulfill em as best you can. So if the copier company hires you with the proviso "You'll be on call 24/7", you kind of know the rules beforehand. And a copier or a fax machine in a hospital admissions department may indeed be mission critical. That said, I think that there's Fair Labor Standards payment and overtime requirements that kick in if they demand your availability under some conditions.
Indeed, if it's stated up front, then it will attract people who want that kind of work. I have a friend who was a senior nuclear power plant operator, and the times when he was on call were part of his job description.

If a hospital admissions department could be brought down by a single point equipment failure of something that's widely known to be unreliable, I'd be investigating more than just the job requirements of the repair tech.
Old 08-05-19, 05:30 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
On a bent you get a better view of the bumpers
Old 08-05-19, 05:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz

I recall a friend of mine, let's call him Roy, having a discussion with the boss (call him Bob).
Bob: Roy, We're gonna need to send you to Saudi Arabia for the XYZ project for the next six months.
Roy: Bob, I don't believe I care to go to Saudi Arabia.
Bob (becoming excited): Roy, you may not have a choice!
Roy (in his very relaxed, unhurried, calm voice): Bob, I always have a choice.
That ended the conversation.
I agree with this 100%. Your post is lucid and well written. Agreeing to 24x7 is different from being told you must take 24x7 after the fact. I should have been clearer. Sorry about that to all.

And your point about the environment being healthcare is well taken. Thank you for that.

I took the OP's post as bitterness toward 24x7 but he later clarified.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-05-19, 06:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Bikeforums has proven over and over again that random strangers get butt hurt and bent out of shape, because of irrelevant things like somebody else's speed, diet, frame material, pedal type, valve stem covers, colour of their socks, chain lube, handlebars type and all manner of other irrelevant stuff.
Old 08-05-19, 07:18 PM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
There are lots of aspects of cycling that don’t align with mine. To all those riders, I cheer you on. What a sad way to spend one’s retirement years, trolling those that harmlessly see the world differently.
Old 08-05-19, 07:18 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
TimothyH, I should emphasize our points of agreement. I do think that a lot of management reacts to their boss's mandates by decreeing work schedules without regard to what is feasible in 40 hour (or 50 or even 60) hour week. I don't think that's ethical, moral, or fair. Didn't want my agreement to sound like I was taking issue with your main premise: we agree!

Once worked seven 12s for several weeks, on a construction site in Germany. Interesting and tolerable when your 22. Would not be now. We were working to hand over a 300 million dollar portion of a vinyl chloride monomer plant to the client, and every day we didn't do it, we paid interest. And this was during the Jimmy Carter stagflation, 20% interest period. So, after working these insane hours we were successful and the pressure was off for a few days. Everybody let loose. I'm kind of personally conservative from a moral and ethical viewpoint. So I had a few extra glasses of wine. Some of the instrument techs ended up blowing nearly a thousand bucks over the weekend. I'm sitting in the bar, and they each walk in with one or two gals of negotiable virtue under their arm(s) and a bottle of champagne in each hand. Ah, memories.

Interesting that this came up. A person I'm very familiar with just told me that their management set a standard for how many new projects they had to initiate each week. I told them that it wasn't possible - the number of hours of work would subsume the hours in the week. So I'm doing an approximation of Monte Carlo simulation to help them show their management that the requirements they are insisting on are impossible.
Old 08-05-19, 09:10 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Hey OP.
Why do you think I need to ‘understand’ some random and obviously selfish thoughts that popped into your head?
Old 08-05-19, 09:50 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Sometimes a person on a bike might wanna go fast. Sometimes they might wanna tool around the neighborhood at 8mph. I don't understand people who go out and do 400k rides, but I also don't think they're doing it "wrong."

People who obsess over speed aren't doing it wrong, either. Frankly, unless you're using your bike to batter other, unsuspecting riders into the bushes, none of us are doing it wrong. It's riding bikes. It's a thing kids do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.