Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 06:24 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Long climb yesterday to visit the sequoias, see the ferns and wildflowers. Yes, there are ferns and wildflowers in California in August ... at 6500 feet. Tough day, over 100 degrees, had to scrounge water out of a couple of cold swift-running streams. Certain death from dehydration vs. possible death from Giardia .... Hmmm ... I'll take the Giardia behind door #2 , Bob.

Sore as hell today, glad I took pics, but not sure the ride was such a good idea, especially the 9:00 am start time and general lack of planning.

Location was Balch Park Road, in the Southern Sierra Nevada mountains.

I'm using my steel bike next time, no more 6 hour rides on CF race bikes.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 08-05-19 at 06:45 AM.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-05-19, 07:04 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Well it wasn't today it was Sat the 3rd my wife & I rode the Tour de Big Bear 70 mile route. Once again the weather was perfect, we had no mechanicals or flats overall a beautiful weekend in the mountains.
10th anniversary tour I think we've done the last 5.
West
BTW Lemond 1985 those are beautiful pics our scenery was almost as nice but a bit more people!
Old 08-05-19, 08:01 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I also rode Tour de Big Bear 109 miler this weekend. I can't say enough good things about this ride. This is a century done right! Great food, SAG stops, plentiful ice, water, energy drinks, roving SAG vehicles all over the course and great weather.

Likes For tunavic:
Old 08-05-19, 09:45 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
a little 50-miler after dropping off the car in mission valley for servicing. hit la mesa, bonita, chula vista, coronado and took the ferry
to dtown san diego, then rolled through balboa park and normal heights before descending back to the car and mission valley. low/mid-80's
and the wind was a little stronger along the silver strand south of coronado. humidity not as bad as last week. nice day. had i started earlier,
ride woulda been 65-70 miles.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-06-19, 07:23 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Wow you guys are better man (& lady) than I am Gunga Din the climb back to Onyx from the Scout camp looks brutal! We were too busy huffing & puffing to take pics! Wife & I second all your positives the ride sold out again this year too.
West
Old 08-06-19, 06:24 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

took the 7:48am coaster train from old town-san diego to oceanside. had ambitions of heading east and doing couser canyon, lilac rd and maybe del dios or questhaven/harmony grove
but as soon as i stepped off the train, it was readily apparent that the legs were dogmeat. opted to peruse and cruise the coast highway towards san diego at my slowest pace ever.
did give the last fourth of the torrey pines grade (outside) a decent effort but otherwise, this ride was mailed in. made it to sd, then added on the usual miles/places/streets.
66 miles with approximately 65 of those cheap miles. felt better later on but by then, i was in whatever mode. light overcast along the coast kept it coolish until the end of the rose canyon bike path
south of ucsd/along the 5 fwy, then the humidity and the heat kicked in. wasn't all that happy at the time with the overcast but in retrospect, it was pleasant.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-06-19 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-07-19, 03:44 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
This was last Saturday with Comrade Jimmy and Greg: the scenic route from Carlsbad to downtown SD, then took the train back. My first ride on the new Stuttgart Merckx (stiff SLX frame + 36-spoke wheels + wooden tires + FNR at the Velodrome the night before + crit bars + bumpy stretches = Pain.) At least the weather was lovely and the company, even better.)

Likes For calamarichris:
Old 08-08-19, 04:23 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Left the West Fork parking lot about 0630 and made our way up Hwy 39. I had my 29'er and my brother chose his Emonda. Falling Spring is still producing clean cool water and we stopped twice for a fresh bottle of spring water.

Once we passed the gate near Crystal Lake, we enjoyed the scenery and a relatively clear closed road with only a few gravel or rock strewn sections. We did not see a soul on the closed section.

This was our first attempt at Dawson Saddle. Again, Hwy 2 had good fresh pavement and little traffic. Pressed onto to our turnaround point.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3930435599

Here is the obligatory pic at Dawson Saddle.

Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-08-19, 04:32 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Outlaws! That's quite a climb, definitely an H.C. I did not know there were any paved roads in California that went that high.

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/73.Hwy%2039-Dawson's%20Saddle
Old 08-08-19, 04:58 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Good timing too! We were descending Hwy 39 about 2 miles south of the gate when two CHP motorcycle units passed us coming up.
Old 08-08-19, 09:52 PM
Alphabet

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Finest 2.3 - 2022 Domane AL 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I finally signed up after reading so many useful posts. This morning I rode 33 miles from Chula Vista up Harbor through Barrio Logan to downtown, Old Town to the San Diego River trail(south side) to Ob then up Catalina to Point Loma ave down to Shelter Island and back through downtown. I never go past Balboa Park, mostly Chula Vista and Coronado. The cars on PCH right before Old Town were kinda too close and too fast for me so I’m gonna look for another route next time. Reading the posts here makes me want to go farther now!
Likes For Alphabet:
Old 08-09-19, 02:03 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Alphabet
I finally signed up after reading so many useful posts. This morning I rode 33 miles from Chula Vista up Harbor through Barrio Logan to downtown, Old Town to the San Diego River trail(south side) to Ob then up Catalina to Point Loma ave down to Shelter Island and back through downtown. I never go past Balboa Park, mostly Chula Vista and Coronado. The cars on PCH right before Old Town were kinda too close and too fast for me so I’m gonna look for another route next time. Reading the posts here makes me want to go farther now!
there is a more circuitous way heading north on pacific hwy just after heading underneath the 5 fwy. take the flat frontage rd that forks right vs climbing up the ramp to the left. it takes you to
an east side frontage rd alongside pacific hwy, cross over washington st, then a right on noell st and cross hancock (one way) st, going under the 5 fwy,
then a left onto san diego ave which drops you off in old town after a half mile. simple to reconnect with pacific hwy once past rosecrans/taylor and make a right/head north towards the bike path entry,
mission bay and fiesta island. there are some really old school, horrible railroad tracks to negotiate crossing over washington st heading north on the pacific hwy frontage rd so beware. also,
some really bad pavement northbound on san diego ave just after crossing old town ave (light) just as you're gently descending into old town. this negates the fast traffic but ups the ante on the bad pavement/railroad tracks. apples/oranges.

if you hated riding the fast part of pacific hwy, i definitely don't recommend india street from laurel street north to washington st. fast traffic, a tunnel, a tough offramp to negotiate
after a stiff little rise, no bike lane and possibly the worst half mile stretch of pavement on a major street in san diego county (altho 30th st has stepped up its game in two separate stretches
and midway along with ingraham and harbor from cesar chavez south to the rr crossing have sucked for too long). some cool places to grab lunch at the end of that stretch but there's no guarantee
you'll make it to said lunch.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-09-19 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 10:52 AM
Alphabet

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
there is a more circuitous way heading north on pacific hwy just after heading underneath the 5 fwy. take the flat frontage rd that forks right vs climbing up the ramp to the left. it takes you to
an east side frontage rd alongside pacific hwy, cross over washington st, then a right on noell st and cross hancock (one way) st, going under the 5 fwy,
then a left onto san diego ave which drops you off in old town after a half mile. simple to reconnect with pacific hwy once past rosecrans/taylor and make a right/head north towards the bike path entry,
mission bay and fiesta island. there are some really old school, horrible railroad tracks to negotiate crossing over washington st heading north on the pacific hwy frontage rd so beware. also,
some really bad pavement northbound on san diego ave just after crossing old town ave (light) just as you're gently descending into old town. this negates the fast traffic but ups the ante on the bad pavement/railroad tracks. apples/oranges.

if you hated riding the fast part of pacific hwy, i definitely don't recommend india street from laurel street north to washington st. fast traffic, a tunnel, a tough offramp to negotiate
after a stiff little rise, no bike lane and possibly the worst half mile stretch of pavement on a major street in san diego county (altho 30th st has stepped up its game in two separate stretches
and midway along with ingraham and harbor from cesar chavez south to the rr crossing have sucked for too long). some cool places to grab lunch at the end of that stretch but there's no guarantee
you'll make it to said lunch.
Ty ooga-booga, I will try that route next time. And I dislike Harbor dr. heading north to barrio logan very much starting at 32nd. For my next ride I think I will head to kensington to try the path along the 15.
Old 08-10-19, 03:06 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Alphabet
Ty ooga-booga, I will try that route next time. And I dislike Harbor dr. heading north to barrio logan very much starting at 32nd. For my next ride I think I will head to kensington to try the path along the 15.

believe it or not, harbor is actually better now than it used to be. still has a long ways to go before it can be categorized as "nice."

the bike path paralleling the 15 fwy from mission valley to kensington is nice but not super handy. more convenient heading south/uphill vs north /downhill.
it's roughly a mile west to texas street/qualcomm way (or whatever it's called these days) at the base or a half mile east to the edge of fairmont dr. before
getting involved in the dangerous imbroglio that is the fairmont/8 fwy interface, regardless of a northern or southern approach.

when you make it up to the kensington area, you may actually enjoy cycling the flattish, low traffic, low speed streets north of adams ave. more than the bike path alongside
the 15 fwy. lots of streets in that neighborhood with some curves, nice homes and gardens. if you want to expand this kind of ride, you can do so by adding the normal heights
neighborhood to the west and the talmadge neighborhood (north of monroe ave.) to the east. south of adams ave, there is more traffic. just by riding the streets along the edges
closest to mission valley to the north, you can construct a nice ride adding an additional 10 miles in those three neighborhoods east of texas st., west of 54th/collwood st, and north
of adams ave. plenty of solid places along adams ave. to grab grog or grub and there are 3 bike shops in the normal heights area on adams ave. if you run into a cycling "issue."
i call it the mission valley rim ride and if you add the university heights area (north of madison ave.) immediately west of normal heights and go all the way to collwood/54th ave near
sdsu, you can stretch it out to a flattish 25 mile ride with a little less than half of it being in kensington north of adams ave.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-10-19 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-11-19, 04:11 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Back to Sequoia country again today. This time I took Bear Creek Road, 16 miles at 6.3% average gradient, but the steepest 1/4 mile is 17.75% and the steepest 1/2 mile is 13.5%. 33rd toughest climb in the US, according to PJAMM Cycling:

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/89.Bear%20Creek%20Road

"LOGS, LOGS, LOGS."

Nice cool breezy day in the mtns today, I found myself standing in the sun often when I stopped, rather than in the shade like I usually do during summer. Fall is coming. I love riding my 80's Univega when temps are in the 80's too.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 08-11-19 at 05:00 PM.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-12-19, 09:27 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

This would be an epic climb for an Eroica-type event, since the gradients and finishing altitude (6500 feet) are much like a "typical" HC climb in the Tour de France or Giro.

Several sections of 18% grade, just to keep it "heroic". The condition of the roads, as well as the grades are very reminiscent of the roads near Cambria, but the altitude is much higher.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 08-13-19, 11:58 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Finally starting to get some miles in. Rode from El Dorado Park (East Long Beach) down the SGRT to PCH and then to the mouth of the SART. 35 miles total. I'm hoping to be able to complete my 50 loop within a couple of weeks. I got started really late this summer.
Old 08-13-19, 09:23 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

40+ metro san diego miles on monday and 50+ metro san diego miles on tuesday. not exactly a week of adventure.
Old 08-13-19, 10:01 PM
Alphabet

About 30 miles this morning. Up harbor drive, took a right on 28th st and took national ave to downtown up 5th through balboa park. I went down Texas for the first time, took a right on Camino del rio south to the 15 bike path(that was a long way up, but I made it). Made a right on Adams through normal heights, my first apt was here in the early 2000’s, I bought many used books and music back then. Down 30th to market, back to 28th(rough streets) to get back to harbor. Nice morning. (Thnx for the tips Ooga-Booga)

Last edited by Alphabet; 08-13-19 at 10:03 PM. Reason: forgot a detail
Old 08-13-19, 10:06 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^yah, 30th (recently) and 28th (forever) streets pretty beat up and definitely in need of repaving. it's just over a mile to ascend the 15 fwy bike path.
Old 08-14-19, 07:22 PM
CAT7RDR

Left the equestrian center at 0600 to beat the heat up South GMR, down North GMR, then worked our way over East Rd then the forest road to Cogswell Dam along the West Fork of the San Gabriel River. Saw about a dozen riders out this morning.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3950869096
Old 08-15-19, 08:30 AM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Took the new Niner gravel bike out for some dusty gravel along the Santa Ana River near my home in Eastvale. No rock garden trials riding yet, need to break in the new bike!

Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 08-17-19, 03:55 PM
CAT7RDR

Finally made it up to the Mt Baldy Ski Lifts sign this morning. Perfect riding day sunny, light breeze, light traffic on GMR-GRR and plenty of cyclists making the summit. Really a collegial encouraging atmosphere to ride in among the cyclists.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3961150154

LASD Search and Rescue was out in force on GRR near Cow Saddle. I imagine they are looking for Amanda Custer a young woman presumably murdered then dumped by her boyfriend in this area.

Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-18-19, 03:27 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

solana beach to encinitas and back along pch for a grand total of just under ten miles. riding partner's very newish chain broke and it was too early
to wait around for any of the nearby bike shops to open for a repair. ended up giving the partner a tow back to solana beach and giving up the riding
ghost for the day. an absolute ton of riders out on a saturday morn along the coastal highway.
Old 08-20-19, 06:21 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

took the train up to union station/dtown la and started the first of three smallish rides. one was about 5 miles from union station to silverlake. hitched a ride with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe and did the little tujunga canyon/camp 9 climb for
ride #2. what a joy. a little warm but noticeably devoid of traffic for a majority of those 30 miles up and back. unexpectedly good visibility considering it got up to 90 degrees. dedicated water fountain at camp nine was the real star in my book tho.

https://strava.app.link/kPN1a4qTjZ

got dropped off in silverlake and racked up some bonus flat junk miles in the heat. only real revelation was heading east on alondra for a few miles and finding it in really good shape for an east/west corridor through orange county to/from either the la river path or the sgrt. didn’t have a bike lane but it may as well have given it was pretty wide.

https://strava.app.link/gU7neDxTjZ

about 80 miles all told. trained it back to sd from anaheim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.