Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

High-end summer jersey brands?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

High-end summer jersey brands?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 09:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
In theory, this makes sense. In practice, a base layer can still evaporate sweat thru a thin summer jersey, easily. I wear a compression, under armour, base layer with a Castelli Climbers jersey. When I take off the jersey, I can feel it's moist all over, especially in the sweaty areas. I never need to unzip for it to breathe. Modern synthetic fabrics are truly amazing (expensive).
OTOH, when I take off my Pactimo jersey, I can feel it's dry all over. Skin is dry, too. That's on a hot day, immediately after getting off the bike. Your jersey is wet because your UA is wet, too. I've tried a UA. Everyone is different. I did a multi-thousand foot pass climb last week, 93°. Never felt hot. Voler sunsleeves and the light yellow-green Pactimo, absolutely skin tight. I normally wear a medium, but use a small for hot rides so it's skin tight. Jersey has to touch the skin to wick. Pockets in a small are not so good, though. Fairly dry air here, which helps evaporation a lot.
Old 08-06-19, 09:51 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm looking for some high quality summer jerseys and would welcome suggestions on what brands to look at.
Ones which fit. Summer jerseys need to touch your skin to wick, and thermal ones need to be close to prevent air movement inside.

Start with the manufacturers' size charts including chest, waist (natural not pants, measured around your smallest circumference), and length measurements. Note the different fits which may go beyond club and race fit. Adjust based on experience.
Old 08-06-19, 10:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
They don't have to be always be expensive. In my experience, the biggest different from one to the other is the cut and stitching...sometimes. Otherwise, the fabric is virtually identical.
Your experience is incomplete.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-06-19, 10:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
OTOH, when I take off my Pactimo jersey, I can feel it's dry all over. Skin is dry, too. That's on a hot day, immediately after getting off the bike. Your jersey is wet because your UA is wet, too. I've tried a UA. Everyone is different. I did a multi-thousand foot pass climb last week, 93°. Never felt hot. Voler sunsleeves and the light yellow-green Pactimo, absolutely skin tight. I normally wear a medium, but use a small for hot rides so it's skin tight. Jersey has to touch the skin to wick. Pockets in a small are not so good, though. Fairly dry air here, which helps evaporation a lot.
Yeah but the air is crazy dry lately. I swam at Kachess Lake Sunday, put my base layer on as soon as I got out of the water, and it was dry in two minutes. I have to chase my cat around with humidifiers.
Old 08-06-19, 12:45 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I likely sweat a lot more than the average Joe. I'm also cycling in 85-90°F, sunny, dry conditions. If I continue to wear my base layer/jersey post-ride, it takes ~5-10 mins for it to dry up. Sometimes I have to wait for my base layer to dry up before I can remove it, otherwise, it's stuck to my body.
Old 08-06-19, 05:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Maybe only because of the sale price (~$35), ordered a De Marchi Leggera.. supposed to be decent cloth, but mixed reviews on the zipper. We'll see. How can it fail, when it's marketed as made with "gradient knit microfiber ceramic polyester.."?

Old 08-06-19, 06:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe only because of the sale price (~$35), ordered a De Marchi Leggera.. supposed to be decent cloth, but mixed reviews on the zipper. We'll see. How can it fail, when it's marketed as made with "gradient knit microfiber ceramic polyester.."?
I own two.

Feel and fit are as good as anything out there. They are very luxurious and have some nice touches like raglan sleeves, zipper garages and a zippered security pocket. Fit for me is perfect, not painted on but never flappy or baggy - super comfy like a favorite shirt. The fabric has a sheen so it looks elegant but understated at the same time due to lack of logos.

You will love it but they are not what I would consider an ultralight summer jersey, at least not here in the deep south. They are more of a midweight, not my choice for the hottest days as they tend to dry out slower than some jerseys.

I've not had problems with the zippers and mine have held up to many washings.

$35 is a great price. Where did you get it?

-Tim-
Old 08-06-19, 06:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I've got a couple Velocio jerseys I've used the past two summers, with and without a base layer (I'm not really convinced that base layers do anything.)

Kansas summers are very hot and extremely humid. Not as humid as the south, Tim, but still pretty oppressive. I have no complaints with the Velocio jerseys.
The Velocio polka dot jersey is sexy.

It takes some testicles to offer financing on cycling jerseys.

-Tim-
Old 08-06-19, 07:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I own two.

Feel and fit are as good as anything out there. They are very luxurious and have some nice touches like raglan sleeves, zipper garages and a zippered security pocket. Fit for me is perfect, not painted on but never flappy or baggy - super comfy like a favorite shirt. The fabric has a sheen so it looks elegant but understated at the same time due to lack of logos.

You will love it but they are not what I would consider an ultralight summer jersey, at least not here in the deep south. They are more of a midweight, not my choice for the hottest days as they tend to dry out slower than some jerseys.

I've not had problems with the zippers and mine have held up to many washings.

$35 is a great price. Where did you get it?

-Tim-
Got it at wiggle.. not much left in normal sizes I don't think. And this was with some kinda 'new customer' 20% off thing. Thanks for the review. At least the color and design are pretty inoffensive even if it isn't terribly lightweight and summery.
Old 08-13-19, 05:53 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Anyone familiar with the Canari brand?

They have a really big selection but I don't know about the quality.
Old 08-14-19, 04:18 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Canari were like entry level the last time I checked.
Old 08-15-19, 07:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
So I just got my La Passione jeryseys in yesterday. Folks, they are the BOMB!...so much so I placed another order last night. Sale is still going on so I would jump if you are in the market.
Old 08-15-19, 08:07 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Recently discovered https://www.six2.biz/en/prodotto/cli...-clima-jersey/ One of the better summer jerseys I have worn.
Old 07-05-21, 09:13 AM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
So I just got my La Passione jeryseys in yesterday. Folks, they are the BOMB!...so much so I placed another order last night. Sale is still going on so I would jump if you are in the market.
I realize this is an old thread, but how’s the sizing? Read elsewhere to size up one size, like I would for Castelli…
Old 07-05-21, 01:18 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Summer jerseys I like:
Ornot House Jersey
Rapha Pro Team
La Passione PSN

I just bought a Black Bibs x Starlight special edition jersey. Haven't worn it yet but it looks awesome for $70.
Old 07-05-21, 03:14 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
For the hottest days, my preferred jersey is an older Bellwether lightweight jersey that has a mesh synthetic material in the center of the back and along the sides. It vents nicely and feels light. I have no idea what the current equivalent model is. Not as well known as some other brands but good quality in my experience - I've been using that jersey, and their shorts, for years.
Old 07-08-21, 05:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,996 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
dhb is Wiggle's house brand and IMO is competitive with other high end brand jerseys and bibs. I like their Aeron and Blok lines and recently purchased a Blok kit which fits very well (race cut) and is very well made.

wiggle.com dhb

The last dhb kit I wore lasted about a year and a half worth of riding. Maybe 70 rides, 200ish hours on the bike. The shorts wore out but the jersey was still good for another year or so. This is 10-15% longer than other kits I've tried from Performance, Louis Garneau and Pearl Izumi.
I have a pair of DHB Aeron bibs (2020 spec) and I’m not impressed with them at all. By far my least comfortable bibs and the materials feel cheap and nasty. I know this is a jersey thread, but these bibs certainly put me off buying any further DHB clothing.

Le Col jerseys are not bad and reasonably priced if you get their huge Strava discounts.
Old 07-09-21, 10:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Many of the popular boutique brands have been listed in this extensive thread. I saw a mention that's a few years old and figured it's worth repeating- Donkey Label.
https://donkeylabel.com/collections/mens-jerseys

Mix of designs. Some basic, some quiet patterns, some loud patterns.
$70 for the cross jersey is a steal.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-10-21, 11:08 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
My favorite jerseys are made by Chapeau. Well made, great fitting, simple classic colors, and reasonably priced.
Old 07-11-21, 02:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Many of the popular boutique brands have been listed in this extensive thread. I saw a mention that's a few years old and figured it's worth repeating- Donkey Label.
https://donkeylabel.com/collections/mens-jerseys

Mix of designs. Some basic, some quiet patterns, some loud patterns.
$70 for the cross jersey is a steal.
They're local to me and the owner seems pretty cool. I'd love to pick up the DoubleCross, but one of the guys that I occasionally ride with has the bibs/jersey and heaven forbid we should both show up to a group ride wearing the same thing.

I'd really like one of the merino LS jerseys.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-15-21, 09:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Forgot to mention- Sigr.
They have 3 levels- explorer, signature, and pro.

I have a signature jersey that is lightweight and nicely made. The pockets are tight vs loose and floppy. The sides have subtle mesh panels. There is a silicone strip around the jersey base hem. The sleeves are unhemmed and have light grip patterning to help stay in place.
There is a small zipper key pocket too.
I am 6'5 and 210# right now. A 2xl is just right for fit and there is no room to paunch. They make some options up to 5x and each level of jersey is cut differently.

$95 for the signature series.