Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Modern vs Retro detailed review

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Modern vs Retro detailed review

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-19, 02:03 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by co_rouleur
and also comes out pretty easily without the need to rotate the rear derailleur out of the way
This has more to do with the particular derailleur and how the drivetrain was set up than the dropout type.

I'm surprised that it would be a bother in your case, though. The Campagnolo straight-parallelogram derailleur is a design with many faults, but it usually makes the rotate-backwards operation crisp and easy.

Perhaps you can shed more light on why design a bike with these inward facing horizontal drop-outs? What are the benefits?
Versatility.

Since the wheel fore-aft is adjustable, they make it easy to run a fixed-gear setup, or a singe-speed without needing a tensioner.
They also make it easy to install a claw for derailleur mounting. This is useful for two reasons. One, derailleur hangers used to be an integral part of the dropout, so they weren't easy to replace when damaged. Two, derailleur hangers didn't used to be standardized like they are today, and a claw was an easy way to get around compatibility problems between frame and derailleur.

4. Yeah the plastic tubes under the BB make for quieter, smoother shifts but I don't like the look of the either. I started with thin clear gear liners, but the cables were grabbing and pulling the liner along with the cable, so wasn't sure how to fix that. I didn't want to run liner all the way from the shifters to the rear derailleur. So, maybe my liner just wasn't the right stuff. The diameter of the tubing I used is large enough so that the metal cable guides keep it locked in place. Can you recommend where to buy or a brand of liner that will stay in place?
There's nothing sacrilegious about running raw cable on those things, they're intended get scuffed. Worrying about the paint there is like worrying that the texturing on a car's steering wheel will get smoothed out from your hands touching it.

Run the cable bare. If it makes funny noises, hit the spot with lube.

6. Yes I can understand your comments in regards to aesthetics of modern stems vs quill stems. The main negative I mentioned about quill stems was that it is much more difficult to remove the stem (from the steerer) at least my stem anyway, which is a 3ttt that features a round wedge nut that is pulled up into the centre of the stem when you tighten the bolt, thereby forcing the sidewall of the stem into the steerer tube to hold it tightly in place. The only way I can think of how to remove it is to loosen the top bolt a little, then gently tap the head of the bolt down to force the wedge slightly out from inside the stem and repeat this process until either the wedge is totally pressed out of the stem (and falls down into the steerer tube - and you have to retrieve it) or press it out just far enough to allow the stem to slide out of the steerer and not scrape all the black paint off the stem when you pull it out. Would be great if you know a better method or a trick to this? I find modern stems much easier to remove, simply loosen a few bolts and the whole thing just slides off.
I don't have any experience with 3TTT stems, but that sounds totally bonkers. Loosening the expander bolt releases the tension between the wedge and the bottom of the stem, releasing the expansion connection between stem and steerer and allowing you to remove the stem. Normally this only takes a few seconds, and does not require unscrewing the bolt until the wedge falls off.

The only time a quill stem should be difficult to remove from a steerer is if considerable corrosion has occurred since the last time the stem was secured in place. If the stem has been properly greased and the inside of the steerer is in good shape, this usually takes a very long time to get problematic... like, if you're removing the stem once a year to clean and re-grease it, you should be plenty good.
Old 08-15-19, 05:09 AM
co_rouleur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
This has more to do with the particular derailleur and how the drivetrain was set up than the dropout type.

I'm surprised that it would be a bother in your case, though. The Campagnolo straight-parallelogram derailleur is a design with many faults, but it usually makes the rotate-backwards operation crisp and easy.

Versatility.

Since the wheel fore-aft is adjustable, they make it easy to run a fixed-gear setup, or a singe-speed without needing a tensioner.
They also make it easy to install a claw for derailleur mounting. This is useful for two reasons. One, derailleur hangers used to be an integral part of the dropout, so they weren't easy to replace when damaged. Two, derailleur hangers didn't used to be standardized like they are today, and a claw was an easy way to get around compatibility problems between frame and derailleur.

There's nothing sacrilegious about running raw cable on those things, they're intended get scuffed. Worrying about the paint there is like worrying that the texturing on a car's steering wheel will get smoothed out from your hands touching it.

Run the cable bare. If it makes funny noises, hit the spot with lube.

I don't have any experience with 3TTT stems, but that sounds totally bonkers. Loosening the expander bolt releases the tension between the wedge and the bottom of the stem, releasing the expansion connection between stem and steerer and allowing you to remove the stem. Normally this only takes a few seconds, and does not require unscrewing the bolt until the wedge falls off.

The only time a quill stem should be difficult to remove from a steerer is if considerable corrosion has occurred since the last time the stem was secured in place. If the stem has been properly greased and the inside of the steerer is in good shape, this usually takes a very long time to get problematic... like, if you're removing the stem once a year to clean and re-grease it, you should be plenty good.
Thanks for your replies.

Makes perfect sense. I've never owned a fixed gear or single speed bike, hence my knowledge is lacking in that area. So much to learn

Yeah my rear derailleur cable was making some pretty bad noises without lube on the underside of that steel frame. The paint is already scuffed as this bike was used so that isnt much of an issue, but the shift feels nicer with the ugly plastic cable liner fitted. (which is luckily hidden from view).

Yeah I think this is a poor design. When you loosen the bolt, it just comes out of the stem, the wedge is still sucked-up inside the stem. I'll try to upload a pic for you.
Old 08-15-19, 05:19 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts

Yeah I think this is a poor design. When you loosen the bolt, it just comes out of the stem, the wedge is still sucked-up inside the stem. I'll try to upload a pic for you.
You shouldn’t losen the bolt until it detaches. You losen it a turn or two and then strike it hard with a rubber mallet. If it’s an allen bolt you leave the key in and strike the key. This releases the tension on the wedge or the expander and the stem can be pulled out in one piece.

It‘s a way superior design to the ahead system since it gives you the possibility to do all kind of stem related work without touching the headset adjustment.
Old 08-15-19, 05:20 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Not a great photo, but this is the design of the stem. The wedge nut is pulled up into the inside of the stem so as you would expect, when you loosen the bolt, the wedge remains in place?
Old 08-15-19, 05:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Thank you. That was well written and informative. On the subject of tubulars, I've never wanted the hassles of them. And, now that I'm riding the lighter, smoother and faster Mavic USTs, there's no need for them. I recently bought a CAAD 12 w/105 mid-compact gearing. My cassette is 11-30 and at age 73 my weight/power is not what it used to be. So, the idea of climbing in a 36X25 is impressive to me.
Old 08-15-19, 06:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Hi, thanks for your considered reply and interesting perspective. I'm hoping you can help with some of my questions below also. My thoughts as to your points;

1. Yes I only experienced horizontal drop-outs for the first time when building this bike. Not having your years of experience, I found the whole design fiddly and still don't really understand why the rear dropouts would be designed in this fashion. The modern design gives you (theoretically) perfect rear wheel alignment with no effort, the rear wheel pretty much drops in and also comes out pretty easily without the need to rotate the rear derailleur out of the way and the QR doesn't require as much clamping force as the chain is not able to pull the wheel out of alignment. Perhaps you can shed more light on why design a bike with these inward facing horizontal drop-outs? What are the benefits? I've read people say you can alter the handling of the bike by moving the wheel in and out a bit, but this would also have some effect on the chain wrap around the cogs and shifting I would suspect.

2. The Continental GP4000sII tyres are specified as a 330 tpi, the Veloflex Master 23's are specified as 320 tpi so not sure if the Veloflex are really more supple? During my research (for tan sidewall tyres) I read about the Veloflex and their open tubular concept, that was why I bought them and really like them. As for using lower air pressure in the Veloflex tyres, I must say I was opting on the side of caution as I haven't been using the tyres for very long. I have been using Continentals for years and know that they are still safe to use with much the lower pressures than 90psi. However for the purpose of a comparison, I tried to follow the manufacturer recommendations regarding tyre pressures. Also, I thought 100psi wasn't that all that high for 23mm tyres, I thought everyone used to ride with higher air pressures 'back in the day' to reduce rolling resistance? It's only in recent times that studies have revealed that lower pressure & wider tyres reduce rolling resistance.
Horizontal dropouts- in addition to the already mentioned ability to run single speed without tensioner and your stated theory of the ability to effectively adjust chainstay length which gives you different handling, a very real benefit to horizontal dropouts was to account for builder error. It wasnt some epidemic or anything, but horizontal dropouts gave the builder a wider tolerance with regards to how aligned the frame was. If the rear triangle was slightly off in one direction or the other, that could be accounted for when setting the tire in the dropouts.

Tires- Continental GP tires arent 330tpi. They are 3 layers of 110tpi. Conti chooses to advertise that as 330tpi to make it seem like a higher number(and it works, clearly).

Wheel slipping in dropout- this doesnt happen with an internal cam QR skewer, which is the only style of QR that should be used with horizontal dropouts. The internal cam QR has a significantly stronger grip on dropouts than an external cam, so it doesnt let the wheel move at all. You can smash cranks creating absurd amounts of torque and not make the wheel shift.
The only benefit of external cam QR skewers is weight. And using the stock external QR skewers on most bikes will save you maybe 40g compared to Shimano Ultegra internal cam QR skewers. There just isnt a realized benefit for external cam.
Old 08-15-19, 07:21 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts

Not a great photo, but this is the design of the stem. The wedge nut is pulled up into the inside of the stem so as you would expect, when you loosen the bolt, the wedge remains in place?
Yes it remains in place after losening of the bolt. That's why You have to strike the bolt.

Your stem is expander style. There is also wedge style. Comparison:

Old 08-15-19, 08:11 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
OP: A perusal of the BF sub-forum Classic & Vintage may prove enlightening on a wide variety of topics related to the history, operation and maintenance of a now C&V machine.

-Bandera
Old 08-15-19, 10:19 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Sorry, but I like the looks of the modern R5 over the 1984 Master. Not that the vintage bike looks bad, (I must be getting old when something from my teen years is now called "vintage") but I just like the looks of the modern bike better.

Now if it were a choice between a 1955 Schwinn kid's bike compared to a modern Schwinn kid's bike, the vintage one would win every time. The modern one just wouldn't have the personality the old one has.
Old 08-16-19, 03:15 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Sorry, but I like the looks of the modern R5 over the 1984 Master. Not that the vintage bike looks bad, (I must be getting old when something from my teen years is now called "vintage") but I just like the looks of the modern bike better.

Now if it were a choice between a 1955 Schwinn kid's bike compared to a modern Schwinn kid's bike, the vintage one would win every time. The modern one just wouldn't have the personality the old one has.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm happy whichever you like best as they are both mine..haha..nice that you like at least one of them..
Having said that I didn't really buy the Cervelo for it's appearance. It's got a classic frame design, but the matt grey paint work is a bit plain for me. Great to ride though.
There would have been a time not that many years ago that I wouldn't have cared for a retro bike, but it has really grown on me for some reason?

I call the Colnago a vintage bike, but I think the correct term is classic or semi-classic or something like that.
I just call them vintage cause they aren't modern.
Old 08-16-19, 03:35 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
Yes it remains in place after losening of the bolt. That's why You have to strike the bolt.

Your stem is expander style. There is also wedge style. Comparison:

Thanks for your further explanation and image. This is the process I use to remove the stem (only had to do it once so far).
I guess the whole discussion changed to the stem because I said in my article that it was more difficult to remove than a modern stem, which I still believe it is.

Modern stem: Loosen 3 bolts and simply slide off vs Retro stem: loosen 1 bolt and strike the bolt with a mallet one or more times until you are sure the wedge is properly released.
In addition my stem has a nice black finish, I have to be careful not to knock the stem down into the steerer and scratch the paint that is visible above the headset.

Luckily it rarely needs moving, only for a service re-grease and that's about it.
Having said all that, I do have a nice rubber mallet that isn't required for the Cervelo, so it's a good opportunity to get some use out of it!

Before anyone says; What about knocking out the press fit BB? Please note that I have a bearing extractor tool for that. Right tool for the right job makes things so much easier.
Old 08-16-19, 03:43 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Horizontal dropouts- in addition to the already mentioned ability to run single speed without tensioner and your stated theory of the ability to effectively adjust chainstay length which gives you different handling, a very real benefit to horizontal dropouts was to account for builder error. It wasnt some epidemic or anything, but horizontal dropouts gave the builder a wider tolerance with regards to how aligned the frame was. If the rear triangle was slightly off in one direction or the other, that could be accounted for when setting the tire in the dropouts.

Tires- Continental GP tires arent 330tpi. They are 3 layers of 110tpi. Conti chooses to advertise that as 330tpi to make it seem like a higher number(and it works, clearly).

Wheel slipping in dropout- this doesnt happen with an internal cam QR skewer, which is the only style of QR that should be used with horizontal dropouts. The internal cam QR has a significantly stronger grip on dropouts than an external cam, so it doesnt let the wheel move at all. You can smash cranks creating absurd amounts of torque and not make the wheel shift.
The only benefit of external cam QR skewers is weight. And using the stock external QR skewers on most bikes will save you maybe 40g compared to Shimano Ultegra internal cam QR skewers. There just isnt a realized benefit for external cam.
Hi, thanks for all your comments.
1. I suspected that frame alignment may have been part of the reason for the adjustability in the rear drop-outs.
2. Certainly didnt know the Conti tyres 3 layers of 110tpi, where did you find that information?
Regardless they are still a fantastic tyre. Just got a set of the GP 5000 which are no doubt 1000 times better than the GP4000's?
3. I have tried to keep the Colnago reasonably period correct, so I'm using the original 70's-80's Campagnolo skewers and just tighten the hell out of them which seems to work.
All the old pro's from that era would generate a lot more watts that I can and I assume the equipment worked fine for them?
Old 08-16-19, 03:52 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
You shouldn’t losen the bolt until it detaches. You losen it a turn or two and then strike it hard with a rubber mallet. If it’s an allen bolt you leave the key in and strike the key. This releases the tension on the wedge or the expander and the stem can be pulled out in one piece.

It‘s a way superior design to the ahead system since it gives you the possibility to do all kind of stem related work without touching the headset adjustment.
I understand where you are coming from and yes, if you adjust the stem of a modern bike, the headset becomes loose, but it is so quick and easy to re-tension. One little bolt, just tighten it until there's no slack, it's literally the quickest process.
Thankfully, once you've got your bike fit right, you never really need to adjust any stems or headsets, except for a clean and regrease on occasion.

Where I waste all my time is getting the stem and bars aligned with the front wheel and this is the same no matter which type of stem you use. Yes I am fussy with this part.
Old 08-16-19, 03:54 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Thank you. That was well written and informative. On the subject of tubulars, I've never wanted the hassles of them. And, now that I'm riding the lighter, smoother and faster Mavic USTs, there's no need for them. I recently bought a CAAD 12 w/105 mid-compact gearing. My cassette is 11-30 and at age 73 my weight/power is not what it used to be. So, the idea of climbing in a 36X25 is impressive to me.
Thanks for your comments. At 73 it is great to hear you are out and active. Mind you 36x25 used to be 39x23 a few years ago and probably 36x28 with the next bike. Is gravity changing with global warming?
Old 08-16-19, 04:00 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Good write up. I enjoyed it.

Pretty much mirrors my experiences with older and newer bikes. Like 'em both. Both have quirks and advantages. If I had to choose only one I'd probably stick with the steel bike and downtube shifters, but that's only because it's what I started with umpteen years ago and it's familiar.

And I do get comments on my steel bike, although it's just a Centurion Ironman, the Everyman of affordable road bikes. In most group rides at least one person will chatter about the Ironman they started with years ago. Maybe the distribution network was more extensive here in the 1980s.

The '93 Trek 5900, meh. Nobody comments on it. Great, functional early-ish carbon bike, lightweight and fun to ride, feels pretty much like riding a lighter weight version of a diamond frame steel bike. But cosmetically it's in that nether region era before carbon bikes were designed without slavish adherence to old school standards. Those 1990s carbon bikes just looked like diamond frame steel bikes with odd looking fat tubes. I'm not even sure it's a monocoque, I think it may just be cosmetically designed to resemble one over conventionally joined tubes.

Some newer carbon bikes are works of art in their own right. None that I can afford.
Thanks for your comments. It is funny how some bikes just grab people's attention and others just fly under the radar unnoticed. I've owned the Cervelo for 5 years and the only people that comment have the same bike..haha
Luckily we buy bikes that make us happy and the ride more enjoyable, so it is a very individual thing.

In terms of modern bikes. I must say I really like Valverde's Canyon in white with the world champ stripes on the inside of the forks. Love to have one, but I'm not a World Champ - I guess we can all aspire to something
Old 08-16-19, 06:37 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Thanks for your comments. At 73 it is great to hear you are out and active. Mind you 36x25 used to be 39x23 a few years ago and probably 36x28 with the next bike. Is gravity changing with global warming?
I still have a 2005 Masi Gran Criterium S with Dura Ace 53x39. It's not my climbing bike. FWIW the pic shows it with an Ultegra compact but I changed it back when I recently bought a CAAD 12 w/mid-copact. My Guru (steel) still has a SRAM Red compact.
Old 08-16-19, 07:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Hi, thanks for all your comments.
1. I suspected that frame alignment may have been part of the reason for the adjustability in the rear drop-outs.
2. Certainly didnt know the Conti tyres 3 layers of 110tpi, where did you find that information?
Regardless they are still a fantastic tyre. Just got a set of the GP 5000 which are no doubt 1000 times better than the GP4000's?
3. I have tried to keep the Colnago reasonably period correct, so I'm using the original 70's-80's Campagnolo skewers and just tighten the hell out of them which seems to work.
All the old pro's from that era would generate a lot more watts that I can and I assume the equipment worked fine for them?
Conti claims 3 layers on their site and it's all over the internet, just need to know how to interpret.
https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...-prix-4-season
The 3/330 is what 3 layers equaling 330 means.

Old Campy QRs are great for your need.
Old 08-16-19, 12:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Funny that some folks don't comment on Cervelo. It's one of those contemporary carbon bikes that does get my attention. They nailed the minimalist lines and graphics, subdued elegance.

The only new-ish carbon bike I've ridden was a Tarmac. Felt incredible, like and extension of my body. But most Specialized and Trek carbon bikes look like generic race rockets to me. Maybe it's the cosmetics, not the lines.

I suspect most fellow cyclists don't comment on new-ish bikes out of respect or a preference to not seem confrontational. Even roadies are aware of that annoying roadie cliche personality type, which thankfully isn't the majority. But there's always that one guy who has to make everyone else grit his teeth, nod and smile and try to ignore.

But almost everyone has a bit of C&V in them, so it's safe to chatter about older bikes we see on group rides. Or anything a little out of the ordinary. During Thursday evening's ride I noticed a fellow on a titanium bike so I bent his ear for awhile about that since a ti bike is on my someday list.

But I rarely ask about someone else's carbon bike. Too expensive for one thing, which I think some folks are actually embarrassed about, like they have to justify to us why they have a $3-$5k bike for their 18 mph average speed. That never occurs to me and folks should enjoy their hobby any way they like. I didn't even plan to buy a carbon bike but snagged the old '93 Trek 5900 for a very good price from a friend, and it's been fun to ride. Feels a lot like my Ironman, but 5-7 lbs lighter. Not quite as comfy (mostly due to the deeper bar drop -- I'm more of a French fit kinda guy, maybe an Eddy fit on the Trek 5900), but nice on hilly rides since I'm not a strong climber.
Old 08-17-19, 02:53 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Guys, I have just added another section to this article as I hadn't included my opinions of modern Press Fit vs Threaded Bottom Brackets. That should spice things up a bit more. Cheers.
Old 08-17-19, 03:14 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Funny that some folks don't comment on Cervelo. It's one of those contemporary carbon bikes that does get my attention. They nailed the minimalist lines and graphics, subdued elegance.

The only new-ish carbon bike I've ridden was a Tarmac. Felt incredible, like and extension of my body. But most Specialized and Trek carbon bikes look like generic race rockets to me. Maybe it's the cosmetics, not the lines.

I suspect most fellow cyclists don't comment on new-ish bikes out of respect or a preference to not seem confrontational. Even roadies are aware of that annoying roadie cliche personality type, which thankfully isn't the majority. But there's always that one guy who has to make everyone else grit his teeth, nod and smile and try to ignore.

But almost everyone has a bit of C&V in them, so it's safe to chatter about older bikes we see on group rides. Or anything a little out of the ordinary. During Thursday evening's ride I noticed a fellow on a titanium bike so I bent his ear for awhile about that since a ti bike is on my someday list.

But I rarely ask about someone else's carbon bike. Too expensive for one thing, which I think some folks are actually embarrassed about, like they have to justify to us why they have a $3-$5k bike for their 18 mph average speed. That never occurs to me and folks should enjoy their hobby any way they like. I didn't even plan to buy a carbon bike but snagged the old '93 Trek 5900 for a very good price from a friend, and it's been fun to ride. Feels a lot like my Ironman, but 5-7 lbs lighter. Not quite as comfy (mostly due to the deeper bar drop -- I'm more of a French fit kinda guy, maybe an Eddy fit on the Trek 5900), but nice on hilly rides since I'm not a strong climber.
Thanks for your comments. It's always interesting to hear what everything thinks about the appearance of various bikes. I've had a fondness for Cervelo since they joined the pro ranks as Cervelo Test Team way back. I think they arrived in the industry with a fresh engineering perspective and kind of revolutionised the industry with aero frame designs, particularly for road frames. Sure they weren't the first company producing aero frames, but their aero road designs pushed the bicycle industry in a completely new direction. Obviously, not a big deal for everyone and I don't own their S series frame, but I like the fact that they were innovating with carbon layups, asymmetric bottom bracket designs, thin rear stays etc.

Having said all that, my next bike will most likely be a different brand with disc brakes and maybe even electric shifting. I look for a chance to experience and learn to maintain something new. Plus I will always have the steel bike to remember the good old days. Bikes are my absolute passion so I don't mind spending money on them. The Cervelo R5 has just reached 40,000kms and still rides like new. I am definitely getting my money's worth out of it.
Old 08-17-19, 03:23 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Conti claims 3 layers on their site and it's all over the internet, just need to know how to interpret.
https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...-prix-4-season
The 3/330 is what 3 layers equaling 330 means.

Old Campy QRs are great for your need.
Thanks for your post. Great to learn new things. The Conti GP4000sii were definitely stiffer than the Veloflex Master out of the box. The Veloflex tyres felt paper thin. When I first felt the Veloflex I was worried they would puncture really easily, but luckily they have been good so far. As for the Conti's. I got about 7000kms from my last set without a flat tyre and on my replacement set of Conti's, I got my first flat tyre at 4000kms. For a light race tyre they are really durable. I usually replace them at about 8000kms.
Old 08-17-19, 03:29 AM
co_rouleur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can see with the 2005 Masi Gran Criterium S they were really experimenting with the tube shapes. Are they some kind of vibration dampeners in the seat stays and chain stays? Also interesting how the seat stays link up with the seat tube.
Old 09-03-19, 12:48 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Modern stem: Loosen 3 bolts and simply slide off vs Retro stem: loosen 1 bolt and strike the bolt with a mallet one or more times until you are sure the wedge is properly released.
Okay so, I figured I'd bump this to address this issue. I just came into possession of my first-ever bike with a conical-expanding quill stem, so I understand the issue now. The expander cone is prone to getting stuck within the stem, so I need to hammer it out every time I adjust it. This is a fairly annoying design compared with the wedge expanders I'm used to. With a wedge, as long as everything hasn't corroded in place, the expander releases when the bolt is loosened.

This is what I'm used to:

Last edited by HTupolev; 09-03-19 at 12:59 AM.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-03-19, 05:59 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
You missed an 'advantage' to the friction levers: while in a group getting ready for the 'run' quickly reach out to your main opponent's levers and push 'em down... then giddyup! LOL
Old 09-03-19, 06:25 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have just written up a big article discussing the differences between riding a 21st century modern road bike and riding a retro (1980s) road bike. I've tried to cover as many points as I could think of. I hope you find it interesting and hope that anyone who only rides a modern bike is inspired to go out and add a retro ride to the fleet!

Modern vs Retro Bicycle Comparison
Here is the big difference you left out, the steel Colnago in your photos will potentially still be going strong 200 years from now with a little care and the typical matte black CF wonder will be in a landfill. One was built forever, the other built to be obsolete.

Heard it all before and I have less interest now in CF wonder bikes and brifters and modern fit than ever. Each to their own.