Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Routes in New England good for road bikes?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 08-06-19, 11:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

Access by Amtrak would be the train that goes up the Conn. river valley to Burlington, the Vermonter, has a number of stops in Mass and Vermont. The Amtrak website showing that the Vermonter accepts carry-on bikes (up to 3 per train) so no packed bike requirement. Best to make a reservation.

They also have a NYC to Rutland train - The Ethan Allen, but there’s no info as to the bike policy, but is suspect it requires a bike packed in a box as checked baggage. This train runs up the Hudson to Albany and eventually to Rutland.
Taken the Vermonter twice from Philly. Once to Brattleboro and once to the northern terminus of St. Albans. You can get off and on with a bike at any stop. Definitely make a reservation. You do have to remove your panniers to hang your bike in the "cubby." You'll also likely have to remove them to get the bike on the train, even when you have a raised platform. That's because the doorway and vestibules are so narrow that negotiating them with a fully-loaded bike is tough, if not impossible.

Ethan Allen has no checked baggage service. IIRC, it used to accept bikes as roll-on, but the bike spaces were done away with to add more seats. Seems to recall a big flap about it when it happened.

Downeaster service from Boston to Maine has limited bike service. Three stops, IIRC.
Old 08-07-19, 01:50 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Some NH rides I had saved as ideas
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25466229 - on my 'bucket ride' list
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25466176
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24490194 - just a local ride idea I found
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28415960 - supposed to be a 'typical' scenic mountain NH ride, but I didn't get to do it

In general, VT seems to be on everyone's list. I'd like to ride through Smuggler's Notch one day. New Hampshire DOT, just like the Maine link above, publishes their own maps, they're pretty good:
https://www.nh.gov/dot/programs/bikeped/maps/index.htm
I've done NH loop 601 from here https://www.nh.gov/dot/programs/bike...map_200dpi.pdf and it was good, your typical quaint, quiet NH roads with white church spires.

For a memorable ride I would recommend you to seek out either mountainous or seacoast regions in ME/NH/VT.
Old 08-14-19, 01:29 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12179 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,103 Posts
North Conway is a great place to use as a base for rides.

If you like medium rides, try the Bear Notch Loop. A long but easy ride goes south from Conway down one side of the border, and then back up on the Maine side, about 50 miles.

If you want something tougher, just string together as many of the climbs as you can handle. There is a big hiking place on Mt Washington at one of the notchs. You can get coffee or food there, it's a good place for a break. You just head west out of Conway and turn right in the next town.

Might help if we knew both how long, and how hard, you wanted the rides to be.
Old 08-14-19, 05:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by late
North Conway is a great place to use as a base for rides.

If you like medium rides, try the Bear Notch Loop. A long but easy ride goes south from Conway down one side of the border, and then back up on the Maine side, about 50 miles.

If you want something tougher, just string together as many of the climbs as you can handle. There is a big hiking place on Mt Washington at one of the notchs. You can get coffee or food there, it's a good place for a break. You just head west out of Conway and turn right in the next town.

Might help if we knew both how long, and how hard, you wanted the rides to be.
The “Big Hiking Place” is likely Pinkham Notch, north of Conway on Rt 16, not west. Heading west from Conway tales you up Rt 112 also known as the Kancamagus Highway. A good road ride as well.
Old 08-15-19, 08:42 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12179 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

The “Big Hiking Place” is likely Pinkham Notch, north of Conway on Rt 16, not west. Heading west from Conway tales you up Rt 112 also known as the Kancamagus Highway. A good road ride as well.
Thanks, yeah, 302 to 16 to Pinkham Notch. You can loop it by taking a right on rte 2 at Gorham and then right onto 113. You can return to Conway on Hurricane Mtn rd.
Old 08-15-19, 09:16 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I highly recommend visiting the many small towns. Traffic can be a rare sight on the rural roads.
Be careful what you wish for. Some of the rural back roads in New England can be a double edged sword. Yes, they may have a small amount of traffic, but on the other hand those few cars may not be used to seeing, and therefore aren't looking out for cyclists. And lots of those old roads are twisty, and can have blind turns where the car doesn't see you until the last second, and very few have shoulders.
Old 08-15-19, 09:37 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Be careful what you wish for. Some of the rural back roads in New England can be a double edged sword. Yes, they may have a small amount of traffic, but on the other hand those few cars may not be used to seeing, and therefore aren't looking out for cyclists. And lots of those old roads are twisty, and can have blind turns where the car doesn't see you until the last second, and very few have shoulders.

Ya. I guess I should have told him to ride in the city streets of Boston, MA.

Riding in the country are what most of us dream about. I hear your wife got a set of golf clubs for you. Good trade.

If you ride scared, you pobbly shouldn't ride.
Old 08-15-19, 09:42 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
If you ride scared, you probably shouldn't ride.
And if you ride without fear, you probably shouldn't ride.
Old 08-15-19, 10:08 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
And if you ride without fear, you probably shouldn't ride.
I have no fear. Only instinct. What's to be afraid of.??
Old 08-15-19, 10:11 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
If I rode afraid, anywhere - Brooklyn or in the Adirondacks, I wouldn't ride.
Old 11-21-19, 09:54 PM
Mistafishy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I used to ride up around UConn this was always on my mind. It's nice having little traffic, but it's pretty unnerving when that traffic is fast and not used to seeing you. I'm sometimes more comfortable riding in urban areas because I can take the lane, signal, etc. and drivers kinda seem to get it since they're more wary anyway.
Likes For Mistafishy:
Old 11-22-19, 02:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Ya. I guess I should have told him to ride in the city streets of Boston, MA.

Riding in the country are what most of us dream about. I hear your wife got a set of golf clubs for you. Good trade.

If you ride scared, you pobbly shouldn't ride.
A little local knowledge goes a long way with country roads. I ride both urban and rural, and I've seen routes recommended for cyclists that were pretty much nightmares to ride. A winding country road can be wonderful, but if the pavement is bad and the drivers uncareful, there's really not much worse. I really don't enjoy having to ride in a traffic lane because the right margin is so bad around a blind curve knowing that there's possibly a car behind me who won't see me until they come around the curve. There's rural places in NH where I'm just going to stay on the big state highway and ride in the breakdown lane rather than leaving myself a sitting duck on the alternative bucolic pothole festival.
Old 11-22-19, 05:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I highly recommend visiting the many small towns. Traffic can be a rare sight on the rural roads. Rolling hills that will make you smile for the rest of your life…
Be careful what you wish for. Some of the rural back roads in New England can be a double edged sword. Yes, they may have a small amount of traffic, but on the other hand those few cars may not be used to seeing, and therefore aren't looking out for cyclists.

And lots of those old roads are twisty, and can have blind turns where the car doesn't see you until the last second, and very few have shoulders.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
A little local knowledge goes a long way with country roads. I ride both urban and rural, and I've seen routes recommended for cyclists that were pretty much nightmares to ride.

A winding country road can be wonderful, but if the pavement is bad and the drivers uncareful, there's really not much worse.

I really don't enjoy having to ride in a traffic lane because the right margin is so bad around a blind curve knowing that there's possibly a car behind me who won't see me until they come around the curve.

There's rural places in NH where I'm just going to stay on the big state highway and ride in the breakdown lane rather than leaving myself a sitting duck on the alternative bucolic pothole festival.
Regarding those twisty rural roads, there's not much one can do about bad pavement and clueless drivers, but I have posted about my safety mindset on those sinuous roads:

For rearward traffic:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror.

The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:

1. ….
  2. On a curved road to the right
  3. …7.
My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”

One other situation where hearing is ineffective, even on rural roads, occurs when being passed by one car, and I'm never sure that another one is following the first. No problem with a mirror.
For forward traffic:
… Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above are:

8. When approaching a curve with no forward sight lines, hug the curb…’tight to the right’ . .

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-22-19 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 06:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Routes in New England good for road bikes?Regarding those twisty rural roads, there's not much one can do about bad pavement and clueless drivers, but I have posted about my safety mindset on those sinuous roads:

For rearward traffic:For forward traffic:
The reason that potholes in the winding road situation are so bad is because they often force you to the center of the road. It doesn't help that riding on such pavement is really unpleasant which, being human, I suspect may impair my decision making at the margins. There's some wonderful winding roads in NH that are great for riding, I'm just pushing back on the notion that they're all "dream" rides, and a really inappropriate comment that someone who notes they do have their hazards is "riding scared."
Old 11-22-19, 06:05 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
Pictures from Maine. I biked 17 of 21 days. Out of this world....

Winding Hill Rd and Sandy River Rd in Norridgewock. You could have stopped in for a beer.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)

Last edited by top506; 11-22-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 06:30 AM
Jim from Boston

"Routes in New England good for road bikes?"

Regarding those twisty rural roads, there's not much one can do about bad pavement and clueless drivers, but I have posted about my safety mindset on those sinuous roads:

For rearward traffic:For forward traffic:
The reason that potholes in the winding road situation are so bad is because they often force you to the center of the road. Itdoesn't help that riding on such pavement is really unpleasant which, being human, I suspect may impair my decision making at the margins.

There's some wonderful winding roads in NH that are great for riding, I'm just pushing back on the notion that they're all "dream" rides, and a really inappropriate comment that someone who notes they do have their hazards is "riding scared."
I have described my lane positioning as situational.
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Somewhere on this forum I saw somebody mention that they like to take a prominent position in a lane.

NOTE: Rant section below…

Today I took a prominent position in the lane. I'm sick of getting my nerves racked because of close passes from motorists who have no idea how close they are getting.

Do you guys take a prominent position on the road? When you are driving (for those who also drive a vehicle) do you find it more irritating having to fully change lanes instead of being in the middle of lanes when passing?
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
It's all situational
Originally Posted by mcours2006
So...it depends?

This is the answer to every question ever asked here on BF.
I’m a decades-long, year-round cycle commuter in Boston, lucky to have a reverse commute from downtown to a outlying suburb. In general I don’t ride sidewalks in busy commercial districts, and I use bike lanes when available.

However, riding venues for me are situational, and I use my judgement……
When it comes to potholes, the situations are changing virtually instantaneously, and I manuever accordingly.
Old 11-22-19, 06:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I have described my lane positioning as situational.When it comes to potholes, the situations are changing virtually instantaneously, and I manuever accordingly.
Right, but the risks of doing so vary with the situation. I'm going to avoid riding on a road where these maneuvers by necessity put me at higher risk if I have a routing choice. There's a tendency to consider low-traffic as being by definition bike-friendly, and I think the roads I'm describing are anything but.
Old 11-22-19, 07:04 AM
Jim from Boston

I have described my lane positioning as situational.When it comes to potholes, the situations are changing virtually instantaneously, and I manuever accordingly.
Right, but the risks of doing so vary with the situation. I'm going to avoid riding on a road where these maneuvers by necessity put me at higher risk if I have a routing choice.

There's a tendency to consider low-traffic as being by definition bike-friendly, and I think the roads I'm describing are anything but.
Of course, finding the best routes is always optimal, but:
"Enjoying a nice little back road."

All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural.

I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.

Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions in order of cycling pleasure (paved roads only):

• Enchanted
    ...There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders...
  • Exurban (no residences, no commercial buildings)
  • Residential: Urban (dense, multi-unit dwellings), Suburban (single unattached homes)
  • Light commercial (storefronts close to the sidewalk, street parking)
  • Heavy commercial (shopping malls, driveway accesses, parking lots)
  • Industrial: (dreary vistas, rough roads, debris-strewn)
  • Downtown (the urban canyons and narrow, often-crowded streets of Manhattan, or the Financial District of Boston)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-22-19 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 08:17 AM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄
The reason that potholes in the winding road situation are so bad is because they often force you to the center of the road.

It doesn't help that riding on such pavement is really unpleasant which, being human, I suspect may impair my decision making at the margins. There's some wonderful winding roads in NH that are great for riding,

I'm just pushing back on the notion that they're all "dream" rides, and a really inappropriate comment that someone who notes they do have their hazards is "riding scared."
I have previously posted to this thread, “How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.”
Originally Posted by Cheez
I too have been getting close calls with the cars, trucks, and buses but I never got hit.

OP, ask Jesus to protect you and he will. His Angel's are constantly at work. Either pray before riding a bike in the busy traffic or at least expect him to protect you. This is serious.
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Certainly not pushing my religion on anyone else, but I absolutely pray before every ride. Twice. Once, the night before. Then, again right before I head out….

I'm not 30 years old anymore. I figure I need all the assistance I can possibly get.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A little extra never hurts, if you already lean that way. But .... whatever gets you through.
Hi MNHarv,

You may recall I likened your signature line to a Road Cyclist's Prayer, "Dear Lord, Just three paved feet to the right of the white fog stripe is all I need."
Old 11-22-19, 08:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'd probably flip the order between industrial and downtown because downtowns can actually be interesting and fun rides/destinations, and I'm generally not as concerned about getting mugged in the event of a flat as I would be in an industrial area, but otherwise would mostly agree with those categories as general statements.

I'd also break down the category of exurban a bit more. Big state roads have a very different appeal than the "intimate" road you have pictured, they're great for fast uninterrupted riding between distant points.

I really was reacting to what I saw as an unfair cheap shot put-down by a certain bird-watcher of someone who was making a legitimate point--not all secluded roads are alike.
Old 11-22-19, 09:33 AM
Jim from Boston

All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural.

I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.

Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions in order of cycling pleasure (paved roads only):...
I'd probably flip the order between industrial and downtown because downtowns can actually be interesting and fun rides/destinations, and I'm generally not as concerned about getting mugged in the event of a flat as I would be in an industrial area, but otherwise would mostly agree with those categories as general statements.

I'd also break down the category of exurban a bit more. Big state roads have a very different appeal than the "intimate" road you have pictured, they're great for fast uninterrupted riding between distant points.

I really was reacting to what I saw as an unfair cheap shot put-down by a certain bird-watcher of someone who was making a legitimate point--not all secluded roads are alike.
Thanks for your considered reply, @livedarklions. Notably apropos of your comments. I LIKED this post on the Commuting Forum,“SouthSide Chicago Ghetto Commute”:
Originally Posted by dooner90
Does anyone live on the outskirts of the far southside of Chicago? I do, and I can't ride to work without facing the danger of awful roads/gangs.

Does anyone have any advice who might commute this way? What would be the safest way to commute all the way downtown?
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
This is the answer.

Even if the industrial route is 20% longer...take it. Learn it. Love it. Never go through dangerous neighborhoods. There are just too many people to keep an eye on at once. 99% of them are decent folks. But it only takes 1 to cause trouble. If you aren't focused on that 1 guy on any given day it's a higher risk than you need to take.

On an industrial route where you may see 1 person, you can keep an eye on him easily. If he does something that makes you nervous you can cross the street, turn around, etc with ample warning time. Plus the odds are low that the guy in the industrial area is there to cause trouble. He's probably walking to work, not looking for a mugging victim on an little traveled road.

As for the sidewalk issue....if it's an industrial area where big trucks are crowding the thin streets making it dangerous to ride and with no pedestrians and good sight lines so you aren't suddenly on top of someone as you round corners....ride the sidewalks.

You will hear from road rules purists who insist that the rules of cycling on weekend rides through the suburbs should apply to the industrial streets of the South Side of Chicago. But who cares? You are the one who is there. You decide what is safe.

But if there are big wide lanes and little traffic...ride the streets. It's an easier ride on blacktop than sidewalks. That bump bump bump every block of cement wears you down after a few miles.

And like people say...drive the route first. Just because it looks like a quiet warehouse district on Google maps doesn't mean there is a drug dealing operation out of an abandoned building in real life.

And use Google maps to plot a route. The satellite view doesn't tell you everything (like how there are crows on certain drug corners) but it does give you an idea if you have empty streets with no cars parked long them and no houses or stores.

It'll help you find little cut throughs behind buildings that give you access to a street you'd need to go 6 blows out of your way to reach via a car. It's good stuff. But again...drive it first.
Being a native of Detroit, I can relate.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 12-27-19, 03:55 PM
bikeldy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For inspiration and route ideas and details check out crazyguyonabike website which has bike touring journals from all over the world, including New England.

I'd give you the link but am not allowed to as of yet.
Old 12-29-19, 03:20 PM
Theonlylib

Bikes: Bianchi veloce Bianchi campione

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Being a roadie from Boston I can say I thought I saw it all riding the north shore for 30 plus years but since moving to Maine 3 yrs ago I have found central Maine and the foothills/ lakes region to be an absolute blast! There’s beautiful scenery, some of the toughest climbs I’ve come across which always comes with some mind blowing decents . Centuries come easily it’s an amazing area to ride but just be sure to carry plenty of water/food as stores and restaurants can be few and far between sometimes 20-30 miles apart and the people are really nice always want to strike up a conversation and always willing to help a cyclist in need . If you’re looking for some routes feel free to ask I’ve mapped out some and would like to see some more cyclists out this way.