Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campag Shamal Mille and Ultra advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-19, 03:34 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

I'm looking at my first set of wheels for my CAAD12/Ultegra with rim brakes. Budget is around $1k plus/minus a bit.

I'm in SoCal where terrain is a mixture of flats and hills, so responsiveness on the climbs, stability on the descents, and a reasonable measure of aero performance on the flats are key objectives. I normally ride 17-18mph/solo, 20-22mph/group on flat terrain and weigh <145lbs.

One of the wheelsets I'm considering is the Campag Shamal Mille and perhaps Ultra. I would appreicate some insights from the group on how these wheels perform compared to others in their class.

I'm particularly curious if the rim width (22mm) is a little narrow and might affect aero capability compared to other wheelsets that are available. I plan to ride tubless tires, likely 25c, possibly 28c.

Last edited by Robert A; 08-15-19 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 04:31 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
At $1K(ish)....you can get bespoke wheels, without bizarro expensive proprietary parts, made from the best alloy rims (HED, Easton, Astral, AForce Al33) and nicest hubs out there (White, DT Swiss, Onyx, Hope, i9 etc). You could also get taller profile CF rims from, shall we say more reputable, chinese-sourced outfits like Light Bicycle combined with aforesaid nicest hubs.
Old 08-15-19, 04:37 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
At $1K(ish)....you can get bespoke wheels, without bizarro expensive proprietary parts, made from the best alloy rims (HED, Easton, Astral, AForce Al33) and nicest hubs out there (White, DT Swiss, Onyx, Hope, i9 etc). You could also get taller profile CF rims from, shall we say more reputable, chinese-sourced outfits like Light Bicycle combined with aforesaid nicest hubs.
I was following the LB thread on this forum in great detail but did not want to create yet another carbon/aluminim thread. As good as LB seems, I became a little concerned about low-cost carbon rims, particularly with rim brakes. It's still an open consideration, though I'm somewhat swayed to get top-end aluminum instead of low-cost carbon.
Old 08-15-19, 04:48 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by Robert A
I was following the LB thread on this forum in great detail but did not want to create yet another carbon/aluminim thread. As good as LB seems, I became a little concerned about low-cost carbon rims, particularly with rim brakes. It's still an open consideration, though I'm somewhat swayed to get top-end aluminum instead of low-cost carbon.
Fair enough. I'd give Gave over at November Bicycles a ring, he does lots of different builds with great product, for example:

https://novemberbicycles.com/collect...33-road-wheels

Could also give ProWheelbuilder a ring, they're good too.
Old 08-15-19, 06:43 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
From PWB:

H Plus Son Archetypes
White Industries T11
CXray
Little less than eight hunski.
They have a Labor Day sale right now.
Old 08-15-19, 07:49 PM
Robert A

Please educate me on November and PWB. I haven't heard about them and would like to know more.

Last edited by Robert A; 08-15-19 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 03:26 AM
jideta

Like most places, Prowheelbuilder has a wheel building page on their website where you can spec out your build.
I think they also have the largest selection of rims and hubs.
Emails were answered promptly; all within a day or so.
So far they've shipped out quickly, but they do have a parts order of mine that's over a week old. I think maybe some stuff is backordered.

The other wheel builder I'd recommend is Rob over at Psimet.
I got one of his early builds and it's never went out of true in the eight years or so I've been riding it. Well except when I got a hacksaw stuck in the fork and broke a spoke.
Almost ordered another set from Rob but decided to get all the stuff and roll my own. You can't go wrong with Rob.

I think the difference between places like Psimet and PWB et al vs November or Boyd or Rolf etc. is that the indys can suggest to you builds using all kinds of different brands while the other places will emphasize their 'brands' and builds. Not necessarily a bad thing.
I also talked to Sugar Wheel Works and they seemed like nice folks.
For a hand built wheel set, they are all priced about the same and don't hesitate to call them for advice. Oh and let me add Fairwheel Bikes to your list. I've ordered parts from them, but never a build. Known weight weenies.

As I said, PWB has a sale right now: over $1k you get 12% off.

Oh and them Campy wheels. Nice but check for proprietary stuff like spokes and nipples. I think the only Campy set I'd spring for would be like Boras. If I could afford them.

Last edited by jideta; 08-16-19 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 04:50 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Please educate me on November and PWB. I haven't heard about them and would like to know more.
They are handbuilt-wheel houses that specialize in doing custom wheels. Built from choice individual parts in boxes. Today there are many such outfits findable online. PWB is probably the largest such. Tell them what you weigh, what your intended use scenario is, what you would want in your head, and they'll talk to you about how achievable it is. Some such houses only do rather limited options to keep overhead down (Psimet last I checked)...some have a nice selection of lots of product (November)...some like PWB are not bothered at all by needing a warehouse to store practically everything.

Note, some full-service cycling retailers like Colorado Cyclist or Glory Cycles etc. offer wheelbuilding...but reviews I've seen have been a bit mixed WRT customer support/service.

Psimet actually posts on BikeForums himself...November Dave posts over on RoadBikeReview as is Ergott...
Old 08-16-19, 06:16 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Well, I know it's subjective but I love the Shamal Ultra's I'm running on my Giordana XL Super. Out of all my bikes this is the one that just feels special each and every time I take it out. And I don't notice any penalty climbing and descending with these wheels. In fact I've been concentrating on climbing all month with a variety of bikes. This one went right up the steep hills just as well as several other better geared bikes and was rock solid on descents hitting over 40 mph. I've had this up into the mid 50 mph range with no issues.

I got them in the $700 range from Merlin on sale a couple of years ago.

Now in theory I will admit that the propietary Campagnolo parts could be a problem. But in use I run probably a dozen sets of Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels on my various bikes and have yet to touch them. By comparision, my handbuilt Williams System 30's have needed several touch ups over the years as well as having a rear rim crack at the spoke holes. My handbuilt November Nimbus wheels have needed truing several times, my local built Dura Ace/SL23 wheels have needed touchups twice so far. My handbuilt 1400 gram Zen Cyclery wheels have held up for over 8 years though with no issues.

So from my experience, everytime I think of going handbuilt I seem to then still wind up with some version of Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels. I mean the Zonda/Racing 3 are just so hard to pass up when you can get them for under $400 when you catch a sale at a UK site. All of mine are bullet proof over the years, as have been the Eurus's I have. Oh, and 3 pairs of the "cheap and heavy" Scirocco's that outperform their price and weight.

Anyway, just my observations from my experiences the past 10 years and 40,000ish miles of riding a slew of bikes with a variety of wheels.

If it helps the lightest I've been in those years was around 160 and unfortunately I've been in the 220 lb range too. I'm normally in the 175-185 range though when health is normal.
Old 08-16-19, 06:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear from some guinea pig who buys and tries a set of these.. fairly intriguing specs for alloys:

TUNE TSR35 Wheelset
Old 08-16-19, 11:25 AM
Robert A

So with all these different options, how does one discern the quality of an aluminum wheel? In the end, are they all the same, save for differences in rim dimensions, built quality and the remaining parts (spokes, hubs, etc)? Or are there subtle differences across brands?

Last edited by Robert A; 08-16-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 03:48 PM
jideta

I would say quality is about the same.
More about the specifics, dimensions, etc.
Choose the rim that fits your needs/wants.
You will read about brand X is junk (cough Alex cough) etc, but I think it's a personal thing. I'm actually riding Alex Crostinis right now.
Is there a difference between a $150 rim and a $50 rim? Probably but it's still about the specifics.
There's also flavor of the month/year. When I ordered my first wheels, everyone was on DT Swiss. Now it seems like it's HED for wide is good.
I think Fairwheel Bikes blog has a review of alloy wheels.

Spokes for me are Sapim CX-Rays or DT Swiss.

Hubs are another ball game; they go from cheap to do I really need this? I prefer fast engagement.
Again check FAirwheel bikes blog for a review of hubs they like/sell.

Or, just talk to the wheel builder. They'll be able to offer solutions to your wants/needs/budget.
Old 08-17-19, 12:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
So with all these different options, how does one discern the quality of an aluminum wheel? In the end, are they all the same, save for differences in rim dimensions, built quality and the remaining parts (spokes, hubs, etc)? Or are there subtle differences across brands?
If you plan on tubeless, your choice between the Shamal Mille and the Ultra is easy, only the Shamal Ultra offers 2Way fit. The Shamal Mille is not recommended for tubeless applications. I have been riding Shamal ultras for years trouble free except for the time I smashed into a pothole and bent the rim. Could have happened to any wheel. Mine are easy to set up tubeless, no rim tape required, put on the tire and pump it up, most of the time without using anything other than my floor pump. Seal well, even without sealant they hold air almost as well as a butyl inner tube

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-17-19 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 03:54 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
One thing about the Shamal Milles, is that the coating on the brake track will look like crap real quick - it doesn't hold up, yet it takes too long to just completely wear off and be uniform.

I'd get the regular Shamals.

Personally I have Zondas and couldn't be happier.
Likes For puma1552:
Old 08-17-19, 09:07 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by puma1552
One thing about the Shamal Milles, is that the coating on the brake track will look like crap real quick - it doesn't hold up, yet it takes too long to just completely wear off and be uniform.

I'd get the regular Shamals.

Personally I have Zondas and couldn't be happier.
If you use the specific brake pads designed for them, the coating lasts much longer, but the pads wear quickly and are expensive
Old 08-18-19, 11:33 AM
Robert A

I would love to get some sense of how the Shamals ride. Comparisons with other wheelsets would be great, if available.
Old 08-20-19, 11:06 AM
alcjphil

I would love to get some sense of how the Shamals ride. Comparisons with other wheelsets would be great, if available.
I can mainly compare my Shamals to the Campagnolo Neutrons I have on another bike. The Shamals are stiffer and more responsive while the Neutrons feel lighter even though they weigh about the same. On the one bike that I have used both wheel sets with, I prefer the Shamals. On the other bike, the Neutrons feel just right
Old 08-20-19, 05:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
fwiw.. extremely satisfied with my more old-school Campy Eurus. (I think they're the one model holdout in Campy's lineup that has stayed with a 15c rim width). At the time, before all of the other models went to 17c, the Eurus were basically shamals but without the ceramic bearing hubs.
Old 08-20-19, 10:56 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I can mainly compare my Shamals to the Campagnolo Neutrons I have on another bike. The Shamals are stiffer and more responsive while the Neutrons feel lighter even though they weigh about the same. On the one bike that I have used both wheel sets with, I prefer the Shamals. On the other bike, the Neutrons feel just right
Any thoughts about aero capabilities on the Shamal? I noticed that the external width is less wide than other alloy wheelsets.