Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another Chain Waxing Thread

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Another Chain Waxing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 10:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Can you explain why that's relevant? If it works what difference does it make if it's a lubricant or not?
Just cuz!

Them nits ain't gonna pick themselves, y'know!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-16-19, 10:12 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just from the other perspective because there's no right or wrong here, only preference and riding habits. I gave up on wax the first time I rode the bike with the waxed chain in a rainstorm. I just don't want to use something that might crap out on me 75 miles into a 150 mile ride.
Yeah I don't want to have to re-wax a chain every 300 miles than I'm going to replace 3-4 times a year anyway.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 08-16-19, 10:26 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Yeah I don't want to have to re-wax a chain every 300 miles than I'm going to replace 3-4 times a year anyway.
Pretty sure this is why the vast majority of people don't mess around with wax. From what I've seen, most of the people who run wax do it because they like having a clean bike, not because it's "better" in any other way. I still use oil on my commuter bike because it's filthy all the time anyway.
Old 08-16-19, 10:28 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by livedarklions
All I can say is it crapped out big time for me that time, and I really don't want to have to prepare special for sudden unforeseeable downpours. We get ones that aren't in the forecast a fair amount in New England, and I already have to pack enough stuff to be self-supported.

I'm used to grease and don't mind it, so I think I'll just stay being the old dog. More power to you kids with your stuff that works, too.
I have noticed that chains don't hold the wax as well until they have been run and re-waxed a few times, which could explain our different experiences. Obviously nothing wrong with using oil if that's what works for you.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-16-19, 10:29 AM
ksryder

Pretty sure this is why the vast majority of people don't mess around with wax. From what I've seen, most of the people who run wax do it because they like having a clean bike, not because it's "better" in any other way. I still use oil on my commuter bike because it's filthy all the time anyway.
Yeah I have nothing against it, just not for me.

I'm lazy and conventional chain lube works well enough.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 08-16-19, 11:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I have noticed that chains don't hold the wax as well until they have been run and re-waxed a few times, which could explain our different experiences. Obviously nothing wrong with using oil if that's what works for you.
That's probably it. Generally, I hate working on my bikes, and if there's a quick and easy way to do something, I'm going with that, mess be damned.

Took a quick peek at your posting history out of curiosity, and I think it's safe to say that your cat knows more about bike mechanical stuff than I do, assuming you have a cat. I would defer to you on all such questions.
Old 08-16-19, 01:09 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Can you explain why that's relevant? If it works what difference does it make if it's a lubricant or not?
Shhhhhh! He does this in every single chain wax thread, always. He's trying to be a pedant, but not doing very well. Lubricant is Latin-- we just took the word straight from Latin-- and literally means "making slippery."

Look at the two "non-lubricants" of this group, MSW and Smoove, just being their absolute best non-lubricant selves.

Old 08-16-19, 01:15 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Shhhhhh! He does this in every single chain wax thread, always. He's trying to be a pedant, but not doing very well. Lubricant is Latin-- we just took the word straight from Latin-- and literally means "making slippery."

Look at the two "non-lubricants" of this group, MSW and Smoove, just being their absolute best non-lubricant selves.
Sidebar: I ordered some bottles of Smoove after that Cyclingtips article came out. It was kind of hard to get at the time, since it's made in South Africa and doesn't have a lot of distribution in the US (or didn't at the time.) So I ordered 4 bottles to make the shipping worth it.

Anyway, I followed the instructions which are basically "clean the everliving dog snot out of your chain before applying" and ... yeah. It turned into a sloppy mess almost instantly. Even more of a black, greasy, gets on everything mess than conventional lube.

And I didn't notice any particular difference in my shifting, and it was a pain in the butt, so I just went back to conventional lube. I still have 3.9 bottles of Smoove somewhere in my basement.
Old 08-16-19, 01:16 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Hence the recommendation to just get a bag of MSW and be done with it.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-16-19, 01:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well, I started with straight paraffin, then on to the Friction Facts recipe, then started tinkering with my own blend, then when crockpot 2 showed up I bought a bag of MSW. It's great, it absolutely does what it advertises.

But I'm ever so cheap. Not counting the bag of MSW, I have ~$50 invested into the whole waxing shebang-- 3 crockpots, 10lbs of paraffin, lamp oil, Slick50, etc. I dunno if I should include the Zogs, as I was buying 10-packs when I was bodyboarding a lot more, and still have a big box of 'em-- and each puck is good for about a year.

Based on my best guesstimate, waxing the chains of 4 bikes (combined monthly mileage ~1,0000 miles,) every time I dip a chain it costs 4 cents. I should run out of wax and/or additives in 2025 or 2026. I'll probably change the formula several times before I get there, though.
Old 08-16-19, 02:31 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Well, I started with straight paraffin, then on to the Friction Facts recipe, then started tinkering with my own blend, then when crockpot 2 showed up I bought a bag of MSW. It's great, it absolutely does what it advertises.

But I'm ever so cheap. Not counting the bag of MSW, I have ~$50 invested into the whole waxing shebang-- 3 crockpots, 10lbs of paraffin, lamp oil, Slick50, etc. I dunno if I should include the Zogs, as I was buying 10-packs when I was bodyboarding a lot more, and still have a big box of 'em-- and each puck is good for about a year.

Based on my best guesstimate, waxing the chains of 4 bikes (combined monthly mileage ~1,0000 miles,) every time I dip a chain it costs 4 cents. I should run out of wax and/or additives in 2025 or 2026. I'll probably change the formula several times before I get there, though.
^^
This is why I have a bottle of dry lube and a bottle of wet lube. The effort behind this just doesn't make sense, for me. Keep innovating, good Dr.
Old 08-16-19, 03:00 PM
ksryder

Slightly OT but every time I see a chainwax thread I think of a certain Key and Peele sketch that centered around a NSFW phrase that included the word chainwax and I giggle.

Google at your own peril.
Old 08-16-19, 03:41 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Hence the recommendation to just get a bag of MSW and be done with it.
This. I'm less than 1/4 way through my first bag in over a year of waxing. I also bought blocks of plain paraffin to dilute the MSW when it comes time but it lasts so long I haven't needed to. If the chain is clean and just needs a rewax you can just wipe the exterior and drop directly into the wax. If its seen a lot of rain or muck on the road a couple jars of OMS to flush and it can be dropped straight into the wax without drying also. Never need to clean or completely replace the wax in the crockpot, just keep topping off. I usually do 6-8 chains at a time and keep a rotation going on 4 bikes
Old 08-16-19, 04:34 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I'm lazy and conventional chain lube works well enough.
Funny, that's the same reason I wax my chains.

In 14,000 miles I've cleaned my drivetrain twice using the Ultrafast wax formula. I'm still on the original 2 chains, and they'll probably make 10,000 miles each before they will come close to needing to be replace.