Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Laptop or Tablet? What exactly is your setup for being plugged in?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Laptop or Tablet? What exactly is your setup for being plugged in?

Old 08-17-19, 11:48 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi View Post
Apparently staying on topic is irrelevant and optional.

Unsubscribed. Won't read anything else in the thread. Thanks for teaching me about the "ignore" button. I had to go look for it since it was mentioned.

Nice thing you are teaching folks. Hope your evening gets better.
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi View Post
Mods was asked to close the thread. Not sure why it is still going since it is not helpful to me and went way off topic.

Getting hit with double standards again.

Please close thread.
You said you were done here, which is fine, but a thread is like a topic that is opened to the public for discussion. Even if you are done with the conversation there may be others who want to participate.
It's a big board. Just go find threads you enjoy and have fun.
Old 08-18-19, 05:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9017 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
You said you were done here, which is fine, but a thread is like a topic that is opened to the public for discussion. Even if you are done with the conversation there may be others who want to participate.
Too bad he left. He missed the opportunity to learn that you cannot make a post asking the mods to close a thread and expect it to work every time because the mods don't read every post in every thread. No one has that much time.

Anyhoo...At least we get a break--for now.
Old 08-18-19, 06:36 AM
staehpj1 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Too bad he left. He missed the opportunity to learn that you cannot make a post asking the mods to close a thread and expect it to work every time because the mods don't read every post in every thread. No one has that much time.

Anyhoo...At least we get a break--for now.
He might have better luck if he reported the thread to the mods and asked in that way, but really they shouldn't close a thread just because an OP says they are done with it. Threads take on a life of their own and may be of use to others. They should be closed only when they get too off topic, abusive, offensive, or otherwise don't comply with site policy. At least that is how I see it. The mods may have a different opinion and they have the last word.
Old 09-04-19, 04:42 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
Perhaps this person's experience on a lengthy bicycle tour with a Solar battery/battery charging system that was manufactured by Voltaic might be useful to someone that may be finding this thread by way of a search because you had the same question. Now, do realize that the following was uploaded to YOUTUBE in early 2014, so there may be some improved solutions since that time.

The solutions presented above do allow for keeping your Laptop charged while you are away from civilization and an AC outlet.

Perhaps expensive and perhaps the solar panels required to keep up the Laptop will require that the rider have them mounted and worn in backpack fashion up on the rider's back. I'm just saying if such a system did perform adequately as needed during lengthy touring in 2013, then there is no reason why there should not be something available today that does the same or slightly better.
No jokes needed on the need for sunshine, as everybody knows that for such a solar battery system to function properly, it has to, as the 5th Dimension hit from long ago said, it has to: Let The Sun Shine In........
.....If there were only 50 Ways To Keep Your Power.....just get on the bike mike, you don't need a trike, right................
Old 09-05-19, 03:01 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3032 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 89 Posts
Not true. I saw a thread closed by OP request (first site where I've heard of that) just the other day.
Old 09-05-19, 03:32 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite ,Schwinn Mesa, Others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My family wanted to switch to Boost. Not sure how the deal works but we have 4 lines for $100 a month. I got a Moto E4 plus. Good camera. The thing is almost too big for me, but it has been a good phone. I think it cost 25 or 30 bucks because we switched to them.
Old 09-05-19, 09:01 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Not true. I saw a thread closed by OP request (first site where I've heard of that) just the other day.
Yep. This Op asked for a couple of his to be closed but he is now banned. I think, in the end, he didn't understand how a forum operated.
Old 09-05-19, 09:02 AM
staehpj1 

That doesn't mean it is a slam dunk. My best guess is that the mods might consider a request and close or not close at their option. Requesting it via a post to the thread is way less likely to get results than requesting it directly of the mods whether it comes from the OP or someone else if for no other reason than that they may not even see it if in a thread.
Old 09-05-19, 09:13 AM
staehpj1 

Yep. This Op asked for a couple of his to be closed but he is now banned. I think, in the end, he didn't understand how a forum operated.
I hadn't noticed the banning since he was on my ignore list. I was never sure if he was yanking our collective chains or actually was serious in all the stuff he posted.
Old 09-05-19, 06:51 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3032 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
I hadn't noticed the banning since he was on my ignore list. I was never sure if he was yanking our collective chains or actually was serious in all the stuff he posted.
I never think in those terms so it makes it hard to spot. I can't imagine wasting so much energy for no real purpose.
Old 09-06-19, 06:26 AM
staehpj1 

I never think in those terms so it makes it hard to spot. I can't imagine wasting so much energy for no real purpose.
On the other hand I also have a hard time imagining some folks thinking the way they claim to in their posts. I guess that is why there is an ignore button.