Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ХВЗ Tourist, a Soviet trekking bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ХВЗ Tourist, a Soviet trekking bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-19, 07:01 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Very nice really like the story!

I'd love to tour Finland some time. I visited Karelia (sp?) once, nice.
Hmmm.... Maybe a roadtrip, sometime. Netherlands, Germany, up to Denmark, take a boat to whatever plae it goes to, go along the coast to the polecircle, drive back through Finland,...

OK, I'll shelve that dream for when I have either time, money, or both
Old 08-18-19, 12:53 PM
onre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not a bad plan, really. Lots of nice road network with low traffic around here. Also, if your bike can handle gravel, tons of that.

The broken frame has proceeded a bit. I had it powder coated and assembled with parts a friend borrowed to me. Here it is with the original handlebar temporarily in place, sans fenders. I've been planning for glossy black ones with a round profile. Final handlebar choice is a moustache bar. Given how much fun this thing is to ride, I'd imagine it'll become my spring-to-autumn commuter.

Old 08-18-19, 12:55 PM
onre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Dima is an amateur frame builder that came to our workshop west of Kiev where me make frames and assemble them into bicycles to learn more about making frames. I taught him and another friend how to put on a rear triangle accurately without using an expensive fixture.
This sounds interesting! I could do fillet brazing at my little garage, but don't really have the financial means of coming up with a stable enough frame jig, and have been pondering about how to make do with something cheaper.
Old 08-18-19, 01:41 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by onre
This sounds interesting! I could do fillet brazing at my little garage, but don't really have the financial means of coming up with a stable enough frame jig, and have been pondering about how to make do with something cheaper.
I learned how to put on a rear triangle accurately without a fixture while apprenticing in England years ago. I consider getting a wheel to center with exactly the same length rear stays the most challenging aspect of building a frame. Using a lugged BB shell where the chain stays can move in and out really makes that task much easier. It is a little lengthy to describe in one post without multiple pictures. The tools required are a true wheel, a straight edge with an adjustable screw on one end and a homemade T tool that attaches to the dropouts and seat binder bolt to set the correct angle of the chainstays to the seat tube. By doing one joint at a time and making sure it is in the right position, it is possible to use the wheel to know where to spot braze the other side when it is in the center.
Old 08-18-19, 03:29 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Great post, great read.