Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Info on Team Gatorade Time Trial Bianchi's (early 1990's)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 10:40 PM
Chopin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

If this is posted in the wrong place please just let me know!

I am after some info on the Team Gatorade Time Trial Bianchi's.

I was under the impression they were all the X6's with the sloped top tube (I have added a photo), but I recently came across some photos (also attached) where they are riding what it seems to be late 1980 Bianchi Krono's

The question i'm trying to answer is were these bikes exact Bianchi Krono's or were they a different model made for Team Gatorade Time trials?

Any info which points me in some direction is appreciated!!

Old 06-05-19, 11:10 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
I'm not an expert on either Bianchis or Team Gatorade. However, based on the components, the two photos show bikes from a few years apart. The top picture with the curved top tube is fitted with mid/late-80s parts (Campagnolo C-record & Ambrosio discs). My guess is circa '86. The bottom pic is of Gianni Bugno during the '93 Tour de France, and the bike is equipped with later era Dura-Ace parts.

Interesting set-up on the later bike with the rear bar-end shifter on the aero bars, and front brifter on the bullhorns.

Edit: FWIW, I also found an additional image of Bugno on the cover of "Ciclismo Italiano" dated January 1993. It shows him on a frame similar as shown in the top photo with curved frame, but built with parts/wheels matching the other '93 photos in the original post. Scroll down about halfway down the page on the following link:
ROADWORKS REPARTO CORSE: Holiday Bonus Blog 2 - Ciclismo Italiano

Last edited by gaucho777; 06-05-19 at 11:21 PM.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 06-06-19, 02:12 AM
Chopin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, great find on that photo - just adds so much more to the confusion!!!

The entire reason for this is that I have what I think is a Bianchi Krono (non bent tube) which I was about to restore, but then I came across this photo of Bugno which seems to show him on a Krono, not a X6, so before restoring it I want to get my head completely straight - might restore it as close to a '93 Team Gatorade TT bike as possible if that's what it could be

Thanks again for the help gaucho - I will keep digging and keep you posted!
Old 06-06-19, 02:16 AM
Chopin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a look at the link you posted again and it might be possible that the Bugno '93 reference is of the subsequent photo.

It seems the photo of the TT Bianchi with the curved tube is referenced as:

Winner of the 1991 Giro Franco Chioccioli failed to repeat in 1992, wilting under El Rey's serene but penetrating gaze. But at least he had a Bianchi to console him...
Old 06-19-19, 06:08 AM
Chopin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumping this