Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone tracking gear usage?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-15-19, 08:43 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Garmin Connect has this feature/component that allows you to track gear usage. As I've been replacing components on my bike (brake pads, rotors, saddle, power meter battery) I am tracking their usage/life using GC. No real reason I suppose. I'm more curious to know how long I get out of a pair of brake pads, for example. I'm just curious to know if anyone else is tracking their gear too. Cheers.
Old 07-15-19, 08:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Garmin Connect has this feature/component that allows you to track gear usage. As I've been replacing components on my bike (brake pads, rotors, saddle, power meter battery) I am tracking their usage/life using GC. No real reason I suppose. I'm more curious to know how long I get out of a pair of brake pads, for example. I'm just curious to know if anyone else is tracking their gear too. Cheers.
Wahoo provides analysis on gear usage during a ride is that what you are talking about?

Edit: I see what you are talking about now....gear as in "stuff", not gear as it relates to shifting.

Last edited by jadocs; 07-15-19 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 08:49 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
My bike is new, so I haven't had to replace anything yet. Strava is keeping track of my mileage and all miles are on the new bike. I would like to find a way to keep track of new components once I have to start replacing things.
Old 07-15-19, 09:16 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I use Strava to track mileage on expendables such as tires, chains, brake pads, cassettes, rims, cleats, etc.
Old 07-15-19, 09:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
OCD perhaps, but I log significant maintenance for all my bikes with a pen in a notebook.

It doesn't warn me when something's wearing out, but it makes me feel a little better when the chunk out of my tire came when the tire had 3,000 miles on it.
Old 07-15-19, 10:00 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I use my Garmin Connect account. Its basic but it will track bikes and gear.
Old 07-15-19, 11:13 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
My bike is new, so I haven't had to replace anything yet. Strava is keeping track of my mileage and all miles are on the new bike. I would like to find a way to keep track of new components once I have to start replacing things.
You can do that in Strava. From the Settings page, click the My Gear link on the left side menu. You can add a bike, and then once you add a bike, you can add components, and Strava will keep up with mileage, both for the bike, and for all the components you add.

Since you say you have a new bike, it might not be that much work to go back and add your bike for each of your existing rides. When you add a component to the bike, you have the choice of selecting 'Since New' or a specific date that it was installed, so once you have the bike defined, it's pretty easy to add components after the fact and still keep track of mileage.
Likes For ted_major:
Old 07-15-19, 11:21 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I started using this feature on Strava fairly recently.

I ride a lot in the summer months and do not always realize that it's time for maintenance until a cable snaps halfway through a ride, so I'm hoping to prevent that.
Old 07-15-19, 11:32 AM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by ted_major
You can do that in Strava. From the Settings page, click the My Gear link on the left side menu. You can add a bike, and then once you add a bike, you can add components, and Strava will keep up with mileage, both for the bike, and for all the components you add.

Since you say you have a new bike, it might not be that much work to go back and add your bike for each of your existing rides. When you add a component to the bike, you have the choice of selecting 'Since New' or a specific date that it was installed, so once you have the bike defined, it's pretty easy to add components after the fact and still keep track of mileage.
Thanks! I had already added my bike which has about 700 miles on it. And so do all the components. I didn't know I could track the components too. I will have to look at that more closely. Found it! I think you have to do it from the computer and not from the app, but that is no problem. For now, I'll just track the bike knowing that everything on it is original. As I replace things, I'll enter the date installed.

Last edited by NomarsGirl; 07-15-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 11:37 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I don't do any such tracking, aside from remembering how long ago I changed my chain (to the nearest 1000km).
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 07-15-19, 11:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I would like to find a way to keep track of new components once I have to start replacing things.
Tried and true low tech.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-15-19, 11:56 AM
NomarsGirl

I would lose the notebook I wrote it down on.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 07-15-19, 12:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts

gxb is gravel bike
I use a notebook to track time/mileage and then I use abbreviations to determine what route I took. Like county road numbers.
Int- intersection
456- county road number
543e- eastward

Stuff like that heck let me take a photo.
Old 07-15-19, 12:09 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I use Garmin Connect to track most of the consumables on my bike. The reason I started this is because I wax my chains and wanted to setup a distance limit so I would know when it's time to swap out to a freshly waxed chain. Since it is easy to add additional components I went ahead and added tires, cassette, shoes etc., etc. and let it track them all automatically. I like Garmin Connect because I can setup a card on the Dashboard that gives me a numerical as well as a graphical display of the chain miles ridden and miles to go without having to navigated down to other pages.
Old 07-15-19, 12:33 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Yes. I use a Google document listing bike maintenance activities with date and mileage going back to 2010 when I returned from my 10+ year bike computer hiatus.

Sometimes that yields interesting patterns. The last batch of OEM Campagnolo shift cables I bought have half the life of the ones which came before them.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-15-19 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 06:30 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Access Database

About 20 yrs ago I built a database in Access that tracks all parts and accessories on each of my bikes.
Old 07-15-19, 09:47 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
As I am replacing items I start tracking them in Garmin Connect. Battery on the powermeter, brake pads, etc. I am also tracking items for interest. For example I bought a new helmet, so I'm tracking how many KMs I end up using it for. Purely for interest sake.
Old 07-15-19, 09:47 PM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I have been using this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.probikegarage.app&hl=en

It takes data from Strava, you can track multiple bikes, and each component on each bike. You can set up maintenance intervals for each component. You can tell it for example if you swap set of wheels, or switch tires, or a chain. Then when you put the item back in service it knows where to start tracking from again. You can get as detailed as you want with the components. Once it is setup it pretty much just does all the work. You do have to enter your bikes in the Strava "Gear" section, and then make sure you edit your Strava activity to reflect the bike you used that ride.

Last edited by AndrewJB; 07-15-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 12:20 AM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I keep receipts (heh .. another old school method.) Unfortunately, some of the receipts fade over time and end up being little blank pieces of paper.
Old 07-16-19, 01:21 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I'm inbetween doing it with the help of Strava, Garmin etc. and a notebook: I have a Google spreadsheet for that.
Old 07-16-19, 10:02 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Anyone else using Rubitrack? It's a standalone Mac app that is awesome for tracking gear and activities. You can set maintenance reminders (every x km, after x many days, x many uses, etc). I've been using it for many years and have only good things to say. Great support in their forums too.
Old 07-16-19, 04:02 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Just like I-Like-To-Bike, when I wish to keep track of maintenance items I write it down in a bike log. This marvelous technical innovation tells me when a new chain or speedo batteries, or new tires are due. This system has a long history as it was developed some thousands of years ago and continues to work even today.
Old 07-17-19, 08:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Just like I-Like-To-Bike, when I wish to keep track of maintenance items I write it down in a bike log. This marvelous technical innovation tells me when a new chain or speedo batteries, or new tires are due. This system has a long history as it was developed some thousands of years ago and continues to work even today.
And it lasts longer than web sites that shut down or decide to change "features," the file format is never superseded or becomes unreadable, it's hard to forget the password since it doesn't have one, it's not susceptible to a disk crash...
Old 07-17-19, 08:21 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Nice. You also keep all your money in a sock under your mattress? :-b
Old 07-17-19, 08:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
I don't care how long I have had a set of brake pads. I am not going to replace them until they are worn. My eyes can tell when that is. Same with tires. And saddles. And bar tape. Chains can be measured. When a hub starts feeling crunchy it gets overhauled or replaced. When rims wear down they get replaced. Again, my eyes (and fingers) can tell me when that is needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.