Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Coming off Rim

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Coming off Rim

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 10:09 AM
kdawg7777
hybrid biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire Coming off Rim

I bought my wife a new E bike (cruiser style - Pace Aventon 500 Step Thru) The bike came primarily preassembled w/ just some minor assembly - mounting handlebars etc. Anyway, I assembled and inflated the tires to 45 psi, and did a test run around the block with no issues. On her first ride, about 5 miles into a ride on paved road, the tire came completely off the rim, and the tube did not pop or puncture. (See Pic) What could have gone wrong? I assume it wasn't seated properly, but this has never happened to me in 30 years of cycling. Any Ideas? Should I reuse this tube and tire combination?

*I bought my daughter this same exact

No visible damage to tire, rim, or tube
bike a month ago, it has over a 100 miles w/ no issues.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old 07-21-19, 10:51 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Like you said, it probably wasn't seated correctly. Either that or when she bunny hopped into a radical horizontal slide at 28mph the sidewall collapsed.

-Kedosto
*got nuthin'*
Old 07-21-19, 10:58 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
I don't know if this will work but I once had new tires that would come off. So, I started to use them with the least amount of air I could roll with and gradually increased pressure over time. Eventually, they took the right shape and stayed on.
Old 07-21-19, 11:04 AM
kdawg7777
hybrid biker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
I don't know if this will work but I once had new tires that would come off. So, I started to use them with the least amount of air I could roll with and gradually increased pressure over time. Eventually, they took the right shape and stayed on.
Thanks, I think that will be my next plan of attack
Old 07-21-19, 11:11 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
My first reaction was that 45 psi is pretty high for a 2.2 inch / 55mm tire. I'd guess that around 30 psi would be a smoother ride.

Check the rim tape. It should be centered in the rim. When you remount the tire, does it just slide right over the rim, or do you need to use some effort to push it over?

You already know this tire mounting advice: Before inflating, go around both sides of the tire, checking for a fold of tube under the rim.

Inflate, and check the "bead line", a molded line above the tire bead. Spin the inflated wheel, and see that the tire doesn't dip down into the rim in one spot.
Old 07-23-19, 12:46 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got a tight rim.

I got a bit carried away with the nipples once, ended up with a very tight rim, rubber came off, had barely even got going.
Old 07-23-19, 01:13 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Sounds to me like you've got a tight rim.

I got a bit carried away with the nipples once, ended up with a very tight rim, rubber came off, had barely even got going.
That's what she said.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-23-19, 01:19 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Whenever I had to mount a new tire, particularly those that come all folded up in a box, I would first inflate to a low pressure, then roll the wheel by hand, pressing down hard to flex the tire and force the bead into place. Then I checked that the bead line was uniform, and if needed, rolled the tire again. Only then would I take the tire to full pressure and mount the wheel. Seemed to work, as I never had problems with tires coming off.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 07-24-19, 07:09 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
What kind of tube inflated to 45psi can pop out of tire with no ill effect? Sounds more like tire was flat before it came off. Does it still hold air? If your story is complete and accurate you have strange, never seen parts on that bike.

Picture would help. None are loading. If previous poster is correct about tire size, yes, 45psi is needlessly high. But should not cause what occurred
Old 07-24-19, 08:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK

Family forum. Reported!
Old 07-24-19, 08:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert

Picture would help. None are loading.
You need 10 posts before you can post photos and links.
Old 07-24-19, 08:19 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I have seen tires come almost completely off a rim before, leaving the tube bulging desparately but not bursting. It's rare, but it happens - although usually only on the way to a full blast of exploding tube seconds later.

As others have said, remove the tire and re-seat, double checking the whole circumference on both sides for tube trapped under the bead of the tire, then inflate. Also check that the tire is seated evenly all the way 'round, and that the bead is not much deeper in some spots than others, as this usually indicates that the bead is much shallower in other spots.
Old 07-24-19, 08:58 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
Whenever I had to mount a new tire, particularly those that come all folded up in a box, I would first inflate to a low pressure, then roll the wheel by hand, pressing down hard to flex the tire and force the bead into place. Then I checked that the bead line was uniform, and if needed, rolled the tire again. Only then would I take the tire to full pressure and mount the wheel. Seemed to work, as I never had problems with tires coming off.
This is exactly what I do.