Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help Pulling Drive Side Crankset

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-12-19, 05:25 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

I'll need your collective wisdom on this. 1999 Trek 520, Shimano triple with stripped drive side crank threads. Maybe someone forced the steel dust caps, I don't know. I'm afraid to force thread the standard crank puller, because of the risk of cross threading and the weakened threads. The loose ball BB is a muddy, rusty mess. and I can't imagine simply re-packing it, especially since I can't get to the drive side.

So, what are my options? This is a friend's bike, and I want to salvage the crank. I'm thinking that a cartridge bearing is the best longer-term bet. But to install it, I need to get the drive side off.

There are automotive jaw pullers made for gears and flywheels. Do any of you have experience using one of these for cranksets? I'll have to buy the puller to help my friend. Maybe the harbor freight models? If you can guide me, I'd really appreciate it.

Phil

Old 08-12-19, 05:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I think chuck wedges are the preferred method. I've also read that you can loosen the crank bolt and carefully ride around until the crank comes free. Never tried it.
Old 08-12-19, 06:05 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I've done it (carefully) with a pry bar. Put the bent end of the pry bar right by the spindle pushing against the cup/BB shell, with the bend angling towards the bike. Then lever against each arm of the spider, working your way around the circle until it comes free. Might scratch up the cup a bit.
Old 08-12-19, 06:14 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
If the DS crankarm is stripped, why would you want to reinstall it. Someone else would then be presented with the same problem in the future. I guess you could try to re-thread the crank (or install a heli-coil - can that be done on Al alloy?) when the crankarm is off the bike. Good luck.
Old 08-12-19, 06:35 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Get a cheap crank arm removal tool that can be sacrificed. Place bike on side and fill the crank arm mounting hole with something like WD40. Take the drive pin completely out of the removal tool. Get a 14" adjustable wrench and use brute force to insert removal tool body as far as it will go in crank arm hole. Then insert the drive pin and get that crank arm off. OK, Anyhow right. If all else fails you can always fire up the sawzall or a high speed grinder and just destroy the whole mess and start over.
Old 08-12-19, 09:01 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Chuck wedges will apply enormous force in a controlled manner. Shim up with washers cut in half and tap inward with two hammers.

https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Tool-Gro...SIN=B0006571JM

Old 08-12-19, 09:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ractor-system/

I have yet to use this tool but have a number of Stein tools and they are all very effective. If I still ran my shop I would have this in my tool chest. Perhaps a shop in the area has one and can do the job? Andy
Old 08-12-19, 10:08 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

I have yet to use this tool but have a number of Stein tools and they are all very effective. If I still ran my shop I would have this in my tool chest. Perhaps a shop in the area has one and can do the job? Andy
Nice bit of gear! I'm a fan of good self extracting crank bolts anyway.
Old 08-13-19, 05:05 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by Eggman84
If the DS crankarm is stripped, why would you want to reinstall it...
Karl, This is a good question. In brief, my friend really loves his bike (I'm now guessing an earlier 90s or late 80s, not 1999.) He was refused by a bike shop when his Uniglide cassette was severely worn. They said, "buy a new bike. you can't get parts for this anymore." He brought it to me (this was 7 years ago?) and I was able to pull the later gen Uniglide freehub (bolt on, not press fit) and replace it with Hyperglide. New chainrings and chain, and we got him rolling again.

He'll never pass this bike to anyone else, but will ride it as long as he can (he's in his mid 60s now). So, I'm figuring that a cartridge bottom bracket will be the way to go now. I may try to re-thread drive side crank as Andy suggested. I need to call around to the shops who know what they're doing and see if the tool exists here. Most larger chain-type bike stores don't really know much other than "remove and replace".

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

Thanks, Andy. This would be the best approach. Once I get this thing off. I'm thinking that the wedges are the way to go.
Old 08-13-19, 05:08 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Thank you for the inputs so far. Has anyone tried one of these pullers on this type of problem? Maybe the smallest one?

Old 08-13-19, 05:42 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
If you don’t want to buy a new tool, another option you have in this case is to remove the cup while the crank is still attached and take the whole mess off the bike. Once off the bike, the spindle can be punched out of the crank relatively easily.
But if you can get ahold of wedges or other proper tools, that’s of course the much better way to go.
Old 08-13-19, 05:51 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Karl, This is a good question. In brief, my friend really loves his bike (I'm now guessing an earlier 90s or late 80s, not 1999.) He was refused by a bike shop when his Uniglide cassette was severely worn. They said, "buy a new bike. you can't get parts for this anymore." He brought it to me (this was 7 years ago?) and I was able to pull the later gen Uniglide freehub (bolt on, not press fit) and replace it with Hyperglide. New chainrings and chain, and we got him rolling again.

He'll never pass this bike to anyone else, but will ride it as long as he can (he's in his mid 60s now). So, I'm figuring that a cartridge bottom bracket will be the way to go now. I may try to re-thread drive side crank as Andy suggested. I need to call around to the shops who know what they're doing and see if the tool exists here. Most larger chain-type bike stores don't really know much other than "remove and replace".

Thanks, Andy. This would be the best approach. Once I get this thing off. I'm thinking that the wedges are the way to go.
I think the idea of that tool is that you use the supplied puller in the new thread... so you don't need wedges.
Old 08-13-19, 06:19 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
The gear pullers will not work. The chain rings are way too flimsy.

I use an automotive ball joint separator, what my shop mentor called a pickle fork. I have one in my auto tools anyway. It's a well-used tool at the bike coop where I volunteer. It'll put a couple of marks on the fixed cup, and in tough cases maybe on the shell, but it works. Use eye protection when banging on it, as always.

Using this tool will probably make you get a new crank, but that's sort of the idea.

Last edited by andrewclaus; 08-13-19 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 06:45 AM
RoCou

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
The gear pullers will not work. The chain rings are way too flimsy.
You need to pull on the crank spider, not the chainrings. It works - if you have the right puller that will fit into the crankarm hole, sit correctly on the axle face, and grab correctly onto the spider. Not obvious that all 3 conditions will be met. If I had to do this job, without new tools, I'd use Aerogut's method - take out the drive side cup (a challenge by itself in many cases), pull out the crankarm with the axle, and then punch the axle out.

Stripping the extrator threads was a common issue with square taper crank axles. No wonder someone invented a re-threading kit complete with oversize extractor and oversized dust caps.
Old 08-13-19, 06:56 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
I guess you could try to re-thread the crank (or install a heli-coil - can that be done on Al alloy?) when the crankarm is off the bike.
I'm not aware of a helicoil repair for stripped extractor threads, but VAR does make a kit to cut oversize threads into a stripped arm, and an oversize extractor tool for use with the new threads. The kit is not cheap, but perhaps a local shop may have one already.

N.B. it's possible that rethreading the arm and purchasing the oversize extractor may cost close to what a new arm with intact threads would cost.
Old 08-13-19, 07:14 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Chuck wedges will apply enormous force in a controlled manner. Shim up with washers cut in half and tap inward with two hammers.

https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Tool-Group-13268-Jacobs/dp/B0006571JM?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0006571JM

I have a set of Jacobs Chuck wedges that work great to pull anything held on to a shaft by friction. I've not tried them for bike cranks; however they would be the first thing I grab if I encountered a stripped crank arm. An alternative is to use two opposed pickle forks (AKA ball joint separators). Opposing them keeps the pressure parallel to the both the fixed cup and crank.
Old 08-13-19, 07:23 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Phil, I have gear pullers. I'd use chuck wedges - more control, easier to get into the space between the cup and the arm. The gear puller, even if you hook it onto the spider, is going to be hard to get into that space. Plus, most gear pullers have two or three arms. Your crank has 5. That's going to make it difficult to use a hub puller.

There's a cost issue here, too. The VAR kit costs about $130 plus shipping. A good hub puller is going to be from 60 to 200 bucks (cheaper ones can be found, but they are just that... cheaper).

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 08-13-19 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 08-13-19, 07:33 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
If all else fails, like it did with me with one of my bikes, cut it off with a Dremmel type of tool.
Old 08-13-19, 07:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
The gear puller, even if you hook it onto the spider, is going to be hard to get into that space. Plus, most gear pullers have two or three arms. Your crank has 5. That's going to make it difficult to use a hub puller.
This is the real problem with a gear puller. The spacing of the gear puller's hooks and the crank spider don't match and getting a good grip without damaging the spider is difficult.

For $10 the chuck wedges linked to above are definitely the way to go.
Old 08-13-19, 08:07 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

So, to pile on, keep in mind that chuck wedges were designed to allow one to swap drill-press chucks. These chucks use tapered joints - like cranks (round tapers vs square, but tapered just the same).
So the wedges were specifically designed to break tapered joints.

BTW, make sure you get the right size of wedges, if you get chuck wedges. I'm guessing you want JT3 (Jacob's drill press Taper 3), for which the large size of the taper is 0.8110". But you may want the JT6 (which is smaller, go figure). Here's a chart for all of the four different wedge sizes:

JT1 0.3840"
JT2 0.5590
JT6 0.6760
JT3 0.8110

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 08-13-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 08:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Thanks, you guys. I'm going with wedges for now. I'll update once I have this thing fixed and working right again. Phil
Old 08-13-19, 08:42 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Maybe someone forced the steel dust caps, I don't know. I'm afraid to force thread the standard crank puller, because of the risk of cross threading and the weakened threads.
Why not at least try to get the puller screwed on. The threads are already partially damaged so you've got nothing to lose. Just make sure you've got the puller screwed all the way in and pour some hot water over the crank to aid in getting it off.
Old 08-13-19, 08:44 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Seems you have plenty of recommendations how to remove the crankset. I understand wanting to keep the bike period correct; I have a Trek 520 from 1992 that is essentially unchanged though I have replaced the original Shimano 7 speed freehub/cog/bar-end shifter to 9 speed components. To that end, if the crankset is damaged you could replace it with one from e-bay (lots are available). I would recommend the Shimano FC-MT60 (old deer head level) or FC-M730 (slightly newer XT level). Both cranksets are 110/74 BCD; what they used in that era.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-19, 02:45 PM
RoCou

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
If all else fails, like it did with me with one of my bikes, cut it off with a Dremmel type of tool.
In a bike repair thread, the probability of a Dremel being recommended increases exponentially with the length of the thread.

(I'm guilty of dremeling threads here as well).
Likes For RoCou:
Old 09-09-19, 05:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Why not at least try to get the puller screwed on. The threads are already partially damaged so you've got nothing to lose. Just make sure you've got the puller screwed all the way in and pour some hot water over the crank to aid in getting it off.
This wound up (indirectly) being how I saved and re-used this crank for my friend. I was unable to pry the crank off with wedges or pickle fork, but I did use the wedges to keep a headset wrench firmly in place on the fixed cup. I backed it out and took the crank/spindle/fixed cup over to my bench vise. Clamping the crank in the vise, I carefully threaded the removal tool into the remaining threads, got a long lever and torqued it down into the bottom, inner threads that had been virtually unused. Maybe three full turns of extra threads.

I held my breath and began driving the inner part of the tool against the spindle. Voila, the spindle moved and dropped out. Yay!

A Shimano cartridge bearing and new chain later and my friend's 520 is on the road again. Of note, the original(?) spindle was a shiny steel Shimano 70-122.5mm. The bottom bracket shell is a 68. Wouldn't this have placed the "shoulders" for the bearings 1mm wider than intended by Trek on each side? Thanks for the inputs, all. Phil

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.