Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cancelled Giant Expressway order out of spite

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 04:40 PM
ds8251

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Went into LBS on Sept 24th to purchase a Giant Expressway. Sorry, they said, we just sold our last one. So, I put down a 30% deposit and am told that it should arrive in 1.5 to 2 weeks. Two weeks go by an no communication from LBS. I wait another week and just drive in today to find out what's going on... Oh, sorry; Giant won't ship any bikes to us until we place our preseason order for next year. Hopefully, the shop owner will be doing that next week. Do you want to continue waiting or should we refund your deposit. Grrrr!! Big corporations suck!

Darren
Old 10-15-14, 04:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Try another Brand. Though, Giant may even be the one that made it, too.

Giant is actually Huge , they are a multi brand contract manufacturer for other Importing distributors.

Its how the game is run these days..

to get another company .. DaHon, Tern , ... Brompton ?

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-16-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-15-14, 06:29 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Caution: Even though Giant is a humungo bike company, their proprietary parts and support for same are often quite lacking.

I'm good friends at the LBS - a Giant dealer - and they tell me that with older recumbents and folders, a lot of parts are simply no longer available. Leaves you SOL if it's a proprietary part. Your only recourse is to find a used/trashed bike and cannibalize it if you're looking for older parts.

A few years ago, a friend was asking me for parts for his Halfway folder. I asked him if he had gone to a Giant dealer to inquire. He said yep, he was told they're no longer available.

Maybe it's a good thing you're not getting a Giant at the moment.
Old 10-16-14, 03:51 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ds8251
Went into LBS on Sept 24th to purchase a Giant Expressway. Sorry, they said, we just sold our last one. So, I put down a 30% deposit and am told that it should arrive in 1.5 to 2 weeks. Two weeks go by an no communication from LBS. I wait another week and just drive in today to find out what's going on... Oh, sorry; Giant won't ship any bikes to us until we place our preseason order for next year. Hopefully, the shop owner will be doing that next week. Do you want to continue waiting or should we refund your deposit. Grrrr!! Big corporations suck!

Darren
Wouldn't call that "spite". Spite indicates you were being angry and unreasonable. Angry, yes. Unreasonable, hardly.
Old 10-16-14, 08:49 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
there are soooo many other brands of folding bikes than giant, giant folders are just a tiny side business for them their main business are road bikes and mtn bikes.

if you go for a folder there's a few brands you should check out at the retail stores: Dahon, Tern, Brompton. Not sure where you are but if it's a big city there's a chance you can walk in and take those three brands out for a spin. And I suggest you take them all for a ride around a block before you buy them, they have different geometrys and they feel different from person to person.
Old 10-16-14, 10:31 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ds8251 - Where are you located? This is a worldwide forum.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA

Last edited by HGR3inOK; 10-16-14 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 10-16-14, 12:19 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ds8251
That's a shop issue, not a Giant issue.

Originally Posted by bargainguy
they tell me that with older recumbents and folders, a lot of parts are simply no longer available. Leaves you SOL if it's a proprietary part.
Trek made folders for a brief period. I found one in the shop with a broken hinge mechanism, got the last part available in the USA from Trek for the fix. This was maybe 4 years ago or so. Sad story: boss said if I fix it I could have it; fixed it; he reneged... it's now hanging from the ceiling of the shop.
Old 10-18-14, 06:16 AM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Ordering one bike costs the LBS shipping. Giant pays shipping on the big orders.
Old 10-18-14, 06:49 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
That LBS stuck it to you -------- I'd shop elsewhere. Precisely, they lied to you!
Old 10-18-14, 11:50 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
The shop should have called you and tell you what's up, instead of leaving you in limbo. I'd stop patronizing that shop.
Do a public service, name the shop please.
Old 10-19-14, 02:20 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
The shop should have called you and tell you what's up, instead of leaving you in limbo. I'd stop patronizing that shop.
Do a public service, name the shop please.
Let's go slow with that. It's people that make businesses what they are, and he could have been having a bad week, or an employee who wasn't up to scratch or anything at all, many legitimate reasons. We are talking about someone's livelihood here.
Old 10-19-14, 06:02 AM
PhotoBiker1968
Please Insert Title Here

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in agreement that this is an LBS issue. Did Giant's policy change after the LBS took your money? If so, they should have contacted you to let you know your options (after all they had an agreement with you to order the bike and deliver it by a certain date). That would be fatal with me and my LBS knows it, they are often on the phone with me two times a day if I have something in the works with them. While I spend a lot of money with them (and they know it) it all started with a discounted pair of snow board boots for my son a few years back with them. They went above and beyond (in my opinion) on that sale and follow up for something they made almost nothing on that I kept coming back...