Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

View Poll Results: Drive to the ride, or ride from doorstep?
Drive to ride 11 30.56%
Ride from doorstep 25 69.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-22-18, 09:18 PM   #26
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Are you referring to the Des Plaines trail as gravel, or are you in the far NW burbs and have access to gravel roads? Just trying to figure out whats out in the NW burbs that would be gravel. Grew up in that corridor.
Hey, yep DPRT. I'm in Vernon Hills, so no gravel roads around. I really like DPR because the terrain is so varied. The Lake County sections are better groomed and a mix of hard pack limestone and some sandy areas, but can get pretty washboarded in some areas. The Cook County sections are not at all groomed, some areas are like singletrack, some areas large gravel. And all different types of surroundings, some wide open, some heavily wooded, some along the river, some by large lakes. It's a really wonderful trail.
vinuneuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 10:34 PM   #27
mstateglfr 

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '80 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, '90 Fuji Saratoga, '90 Diamondback Ascent EX, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Hey, yep DPRT. I'm in Vernon Hills, so no gravel roads around. I really like DPR because the terrain is so varied. The Lake County sections are better groomed and a mix of hard pack limestone and some sandy areas, but can get pretty washboarded in some areas. The Cook County sections are not at all groomed, some areas are like singletrack, some areas large gravel. And all different types of surroundings, some wide open, some heavily wooded, some along the river, some by large lakes. It's a really wonderful trail.
Cool, ill have to plan on riding at least some of it this summer when i am back for a visit.
I grew up in the north burbs and mainly Arlington Heights. While having been to the trail a handful of times growning up, itll be neat to see it a couple decades later and for more distance.
mstateglfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 02:26 AM   #28
Witterings

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I'm sure where you live and what's around you may actually influence what bikes you buy. To me if I lived an hours drive from any sort of off road I'd probably have a far greater interest in road bikes especially as it's often easy to grab a quick hour to get out but not so easy to find 4 hours to make 2 hours of driving even worth considering.

I'm lucky there are some tracks on my doorstep.
Witterings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-18, 06:53 AM   #29
Texico

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Living in San Antonio, I have tons of gravel in the surrounding Hill Country. Unfortunately, I live IN San Antonio, so to ride to the Hill Country would take a couple hours in each direction minimum. Because of this, I mostly use my gravel bike in its commute/touring mode to commute and do long comfortable rides here in town. I will take off all the commute stuff and switch to my tubeless gravel wheelset every once in a while to do an all day gravel ride with friends and co-workers, and for those rides I drive to the start point.

For me I am fine with this. I bought my gravel bike to replace a commuter bike that was destroyed when a car hit me while riding to school. I didn't have much intention of riding "epic" gravel at that time, but I did ride my bike to the local single-track here in town sometimes back when I still commuted on gravel/cx tires.
Texico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 02:47 PM   #30
24/7biker

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The entire point of buying a gravel bike is that I don't ever have to drive somewhere to use it. I have a pretty good network of backroads, gravel roads, and railtrail that I can get on right from my front door.
24/7biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 05:20 AM   #31
PaddleFoot

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
The whole 'gravel bike' thing is kind of silly to me... 25 years ago we rode our 'mountain bikes' everywhere. And we LIKED it.

Joke aside, I ride everywhere, but when I do CX, I drive there and make a day of it. if it pisses off a car hater, all the better. Closed course riding is quite different and all your energy is needed there.
PaddleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 09:00 AM   #32
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)

rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote