Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?

Old 02-12-18, 09:09 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Kind of depends on what were talking about. In my particular neighborhood it has increased. I see more young families out on their bikes and others for exercise. About 5 years ago I thought I was the only person who had a bike. In other parts of town I see about the same number of roadies and casual riders. City bikes have definitely increased the number of riders around downtown and the waterfront. One thing I will say about this area is the amount of bike shops has increased in the past 10 years. Bucking the trend perhaps.
Old 02-12-18, 01:53 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'd say it's growing. Lots of local breweries and coffee shops doing some no-drop group rides for casual/fun riders. Offering a beer discount or free pizza. Lots of them doing little local fund raiser rides of like 10-15 miles.

Serious riding or racing wise? I'll have to see how my first year of racing goes. I feel like cross/crit is much much stronger in this area than RR. There's probably 10 crits to 1 road race, as a ratio. Time trial is totally non existent. I'll be driving hours once a month to go do a series. I bet if you advertised to the local triathlon crowd and allowed non-UCI bikes those folks would give TT a shot.

I'd say racing wise the ratio of triathletes to road racers is probably at least 4 to 1 if you say 'competitive' triathletes. Probably 25 to 1 for the general participant.

I think it's because the concept of "getting dropped" doesn't exist in a triathlon or foot race. You either finish before the limit or you don't. Imagine having time cutoffs by AG in triathlon or a half marathon.

The best bet for grassroots racing is for more of these local breweries and coffee shops to start little teams. Right now, there's a few like that. But they're pretty "exclusionary". If you're not already "in the know", no amount of being able to rip their guy's legs off will help.
Old 02-12-18, 03:27 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
In the DC-area, commuter biking has so many participants since a growth spurt between about 2010-2015 that it's hard to eyeball whether it's still growing or has levelled off. It does not appear to be shrinking, at least.

Racing is a different story, at least road racing. Events that would fill up at 70-90 riders per race in 2012, when I started, are now lucky to get half that number. Teams dedicated to road racing are seeing declining membership and some races have disappeared altogether.
Old 02-12-18, 04:36 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
In the summer time the 130 miles of hard surface bike trails in Lincoln are heavily used. There are a lot of parents out with their kid on sidewalk bikes.
Old 02-13-18, 09:52 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I don't think there are more in the NW suburbs of Detroit than normal. But with Strava and Facebook, it seems I know many more cylists now than I ever could have. We have local bike store (Hometown Bicycles) that is actively trying to get more group riders together.
Old 02-13-18, 11:10 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Cycling is growing in Fort Worth and, judging from social media contacts, doing well elsewhere in Texas….Fort Worth's Mayor Betsy Price is a fitness buff and very supportive of cycling. She participates in group rides, including the summer Tour de Fort Worth … It also helps to ignore the usual handful of anti-cycling curmudgeons who infest the comment sections on local media pages...

But it takes that one person. Almost invariably if that one person leaves the area, becomes incapacitated or experiences life changes that make it impossible to continue participating, the activity declines unless there's a small core group with someone else willing to pick up the slack
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
(from 2011)One of the big changes in the Boston cycling scene over the past couple years has been the interest that Mayor Menino has taken in bicycling, and he has appointed a bike czar, introduced severa lcycling lanes in those above-mentioned areas in the heart of the city, and instituted a bicycle sharing system, called “Hubway,” particularly centered in the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods...
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Again,not U.S., but in the Metro Toronto Area I've been hearing politicians talk about a city that is more livable, that is, people can walk and ride their bikes to places, more green space, more pedestrian friendly, more trails, more bike lanes.

The current city administration seems to be quite committed to this initiative, whereas the previous one, not so much. I think because of this,bike use, in particular for commuting, has increased.

Political currents have a huge impact on whether bicycle use is increasing or declining.
I have considered Toronto as a sister city to Boston, and to elaborate on your post, mcours2006:
…Two years ago (in 2013) we visited Toronto and when riding on Yonge St. I realized how valuable were those simply painted bike lanes we have in Boston; Toronto had none.

Later on that visit, I met a cyclist and we exchanged tales of riding in our mutual cities. He told me about Rob Ford’s vehement anti-cycling stance. Later that year I started a thread on A&S, since moved to P&R,”Conservative’s New Enemy: Bikes”
… While in Toronto, I met a cycling advocate, and he asked me how Boston compared, and I had to admit urban riding in TO was a lot scarier than in Boston.

In comparing notes, he blamed it on the Mayor, who "drove an SUV," while I praised our mayor for his commitment to cycling, and even hired a former Olympic cyclist as a "Bicycling Czar." It seems our Hubways Bike-Share system is doing well, while your Bixi Bikes is having some difficulty. Nonetheless, I was impressed with the number of cyclists I saw....
Originally Posted by Boston Globe
...But Ford reserves special venom for the menace called the bicycle. He is perhaps the most antibike politician in the world. In 2007,he told the Toronto City Council that roads were designed for only buses, cars,and trucks. If cyclists got killed on roads, “it’s their own fault at the end of the day,” he said.

He compared biking on a city street to swimming withsharks—“sooner or later you’re going to get bitten.” He once summarized his views in City Hall succinctly: “Cyclists are a pain in the ass to the motorists."
In 2015,
…For the past two days the family and I have been visiting Toronto, and I’ve rented a bike-share bike [for a few early morning weekend rides], similar to our Hubways. I think if you were to distill the best features of New York and Boston, you would produce Toronto, at least for cycling.

There’s the exciting and interesting environment of cavernous downtown streets, but easy access to pleasant neighborhood cycling. We stayed in a section at the periphery of the downtown called Yorkville, like Back Bay but larger and more elegant. Within about five minutes I was into a pleasant neighborhood of older but well-kept houses similar to Brookline.…

One downside perhaps of Toronto compared to Boston is that it appears at the outskirts to massively sprawl, and I suspect it takes quite a while to get out from the city into pristine country riding, like our Metrowest.
…I've never ridden a tandem, nor have I ever read the Tandem Cycling Forum (though I have ridden a quadricyle with a fringe on top in Toronto [Harbor Islands]
Rob Ford died in 2016, at the age of 46.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Quadricycle%20004.jpg (98.0 KB, 491 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-13-18 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 11:27 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I am glad that the current political sentiments seem to be swinging in favour of the bicycle. A recent bike lane pilot project on a major arterial road through the downtown area was made permanent.

There were, of course, lots of mixed reactions from motorists and city councilors, mostly notably this guy. But the overall reaction was positive. But who knows. A future Ford-like mayor could end up erasing them, literally.
Old 02-13-18, 11:34 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I'm seeing a lot more E-bikes. People who would normally not be out on a bike are riding E-bikes.
Old 02-13-18, 12:16 PM
cafenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Salt lake city and it is really taking off here. There are many more people out biking. Road and mountain. its great to see people out riding.
Old 02-13-18, 02:20 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I would guess ridership here in Twin Falls is raising.
I've seen more people riding during the past year, especially during the cold months.
Old 02-14-18, 08:39 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
My area (metropoliltan area population of about 200k as well) consists of mostly lower/no income utility cyclists who ride because they have to, not because they want to.

And while I'm sure there's at least a small population of cycling enthusiasts, I can't attend local organized group rides because they mandate helmet usage, and I don't own or wear a bicycle helmet (for various reasons I won't get into here).

No offense, but most of this just isn't true.
We have multiple cycling clubs in the Allentown area...not to mention various benefit rides, crit racing, and a velodrome that features pro racing all summer long.
I think you need to get out more.
Old 02-14-18, 09:33 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Can't really speak to bicycling as "sport," group rides, etc. Here, that tends to be more of a suburban thing because of proximity to rural roads. In terms of cycling as transportation, utility, or commuting, it has increased. C'bus has made a decent investment in infrastructure, bike lanes, bike share programs, large university etc. Also, I would say more folks living downtown who aren't interested in car ownership makes biking around the central city more attractive.
Old 02-14-18, 10:07 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Stratocaster
No offense, but most of this just isn't true.
We have multiple cycling clubs in the Allentown area...not to mention various benefit rides, crit racing, and a velodrome that features pro racing all summer long.
I think you need to get out more.
I'm just going off what I observe while I'm out cycling.

To be fair, the organized rides thing may well have changed or improved/expanded, since the last time I actively researched it was a decade ago.
Old 02-16-18, 03:45 PM
bikemaster76

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Chicago I see that people love cars, not bikes .
Old 02-16-18, 04:36 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Yes cycling is growing in popularity in my area,,,, a new club started out last year husband and wife and a few friends, now last count of the roster 3500 ,they are the Best Bank Social Riders ,,, mostly crouser type bikes they ride every evening except Sunday,,,not all members are out on every ride, average is about 75 ,, then there's the (I'm gonna say it)the elite cyclists , yeah a group of about 50 they ride every Saturday morning around a lake maybe 75 miles and yes they'll drop you as soon as you let them, of course all members try to maintain the twenty plus mph , those who don't,have to train harder and strive to be an Elite,,, running club I belong to sponsor two Duatholons a year one spring the other in the fall we call them a 2-10-2 other clubs sponsor even more,, two companies have come to town and started a rent a bike all over the city rent it here drop it off at another location,, just got a petition to be present to a meeting with city officials and others to discuss the possibility of continuing to asphalt fifty more miles of levee so as to connect two existing sections to have over 100 miles of clean levee of undisturbed riding surface,,, in the city countless bicycles on all streets,,,, and bike bike shops of course have increased as well ,,,, very excited, I wish I didn't have to see a automobile,,,,,
Old 02-17-18, 07:02 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Seems to be increasing in my city as well. Riding in general, at least. I live in a large county in Northern VA (roughly 20-25 mins south of DC)...we only have 2 actual LBS on my side of the county and one has been trying to close for over a year. We have an REI though. The other side of the county has many actual LBS, no bigger shops like REI or Performance that I know of. Our county has been building up the paved paths over the years...it's pretty simple to ride from one side to the other, and in between. This seems to be more of the focus than bike lanes. I haven't seen any in my county so far, but there could be. Mainly they are lining the main streets with wide MUPS - Rt-1, Rt-234, Minnieville Rd, Hoadly Rd, PWC Parkway, etc. Large, busy, often high speed & high traffic roads.

We are between 450,000 - 500,000 in population (2nd most populated county in VA). Have a bit over 100 miles of trails, apparently. We also have city to country, beach to mountains, in the county...a little bit of everything.
Old 02-18-18, 08:17 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Going strong here in Chicago. New guys show up for our road group all the time. There are lots of local crits. The gravel scene has exploded and there are now local events most every weekend from March to November. The Cross Cup grows every year in participation and spectators. Palos and other mountain bike areas are overrun in the summer. You see tons of fatbikers in the winter.

It's ironic as this is likely one of the worst places in the country to ride a bike: tons of traffic, no hills, terrible winters, very little mountain biking, some of the most boring roads anywhere, endless strip malls, unsympathetic police... and yet they make something out of nothing here.
I'm in the Chicago area. What group do you ride with?
Old 02-18-18, 09:16 AM
valleysuper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting conversation. I found myself getting back to cycling after 7 years away, and when I went looking for all my old shops, stops and rides, they had mostly disappeared. I almost always ask in each shop how things are, and where they can still make it, and almost all have the same answer around here.
Much less road cycling, esp w bikes over $800.00. Mtb has been level and they are filling revenue with cross, gravel, bmx and fat tire sales.
I don’t see as many riders on the roads and I live in a great area of the state for road riding. I’m going to venture into cyclocross and see how that scene is here, but overall my, very non scientific guess, is that cycling is declining at the rate golf is here, noticeably but not alarmingly. Both sports lost a driving force behind their explosion about the same time, and both have suffered to keep their share of peoples time and money since.
Old 02-18-18, 02:01 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I may have seen two other serious cyclists out here in rural Hondo (west of San Antonio) but I’m on rural gravel back roads. Kerrville which is around 50 miles north of here has a big cycling community for a small town of about 20,000 people. I ride solo to get away from people and civilization in general. Over the last decade more people are finding out bicycling is a great way to stay in shape, especially older people. So in this general area I would say cycling is becoming more popular.
Old 02-19-18, 10:58 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I'm in the Chicago area. What group do you ride with?
Several in DuPage county.
Old 02-19-18, 03:51 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Declining
Old 02-20-18, 11:37 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Rode to downtown DC last week, amazing increase in dockless bike-share bikes. Past few years saw big popularity of the docked Capital BikeShare bikes, tourists love them. In the suburbs there's more bikers than ever but mostly fitness riders. Whenever I ride to grocery store or shopping mall I'm almost always the only biker.
Old 10-16-18, 01:36 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Forgot all about this thread, but a lot of interesting responses. Seems most of the growth is in either large metros, or in year-round warm weather climates, both of which make sense. I do think there's a socio-economic factor in play, in that young, educated people who are generally more inclined to exercise and have disposable income, are moving in droves to large metros, causing a big decline in not only cycling, but running and other sports in smaller cities.

I'm in the southern part of Indiana, and as noted in my OP, cycling has declined across the board. Road cycling, from racers to racing events, club ride participation, event participation, the number of people out on the road, its all dropped significantly. People seem to still be buying mountain bikes, but the number of people actually riding or showing up for organized rides is down, and our local/regional mountain bike racing series have gone away altogether. We don't have any gravel, cross or fatbike riders, races, or events at all. Some of our neighboring towns, with populations ranging from 15-40k or so, have only a small handful, if any, riders of in any discipline at all.
Old 10-16-18, 02:21 PM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling’s pretty popular in the bay area (CA). I was going say that it was leveling off or even declining a little. However, I took the later commuter train today and the bike car was 7 bikes overfilled. The infrastructure has been improving. San Jose had more new lanes painted and shifted the street parking away from the curb to allow for the bike lanes. That way parked cars are a buffer between car traffic and bike traffic. Of course I still saw several bonehead drivers parked in the bike lane. The curse of the Uber and Lyft pickups and drop offs.

People I know who have bike shops tend to say sales are declining. Partially due to bike share, partially ebikes and discount online sales seem to hurt the brick and mortar shops.

john
Old 10-16-18, 02:26 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Growing like crazy, but so are housing prices and time spent in traffic jams; perhaps there's a connection there. I've been bike commuting here for 10 years, the number of cyclists, cycling infrastructure, and, of course, bike shares has increased by a lot, even in cold weather. Used to be you'd never see purpose-built bikes (Bakfiets, Xtracycle, Taga); now I see them daily - same for e-bikes and e-assisted cargo bikes. Limebikes everywhere, usually a whole sidewalk full in the mornings near the local train station I pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.