Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Where do you go for Holidays with your bike?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-16-18, 07:05 AM
MarianneM33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Community!
Does someone from you goes for Holidays with him/her bike? If so, would I like to know where it would be best to do a biking holiday.
Could be in summer or winter. So I am curious about your experiences with holidays with your bikes.

regards Marianne
Old 05-16-18, 07:15 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
France in the summer.
Old 05-16-18, 08:04 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
New England in the Summer, I just roll down my driveway and pedal.
Old 05-16-18, 08:26 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Depends on where you want to go and what you want to do. People here do everything from supported canal path trips with rented bikes in Europe to riding from Canada to Mexico offroad on mountain bikes. There's a lot of inbetween.
Old 05-16-18, 08:27 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I assume you mean by "holiday" is what we call "vacation" in the USA. When we (my family) take vacation I almost always take my bike along. I make time most days early to go out and ride. Most places have some bike friendly areas to ride, or MUP trails. If you're looking for a bike specific vacation, just pick a spot you'd like to see and plan it. I did a one week tour in the Eastern part of my state last month. I drove to a spot, left my vehicle and rode a big loop down the NC Outer Banks, camping some nights, motels some nights, averaging 40-50 miles a day, winding back up at my vehicle, then drove home. Strava, Ride with GPS, MapMyRide and some other apps can help you plan bike friendly routes. Google maps can give you a 360° photo view of most U.S. roads, intersections, etc. to help with planning.
Old 05-16-18, 09:42 PM
MarianneM33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!
Thank you for your suggestions. Yes mean vacation. Do you take your bike also with you if you might fly farer away?
Would be curious if I could combine biking with my next trip to ****et for Winter vacation?
Then I also could attend some boat trips like that offered by the Club Champagne ****et.

Marianne
Old 05-17-18, 07:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan and I travel with our bicycles for holidays quite frequently. Do have a look at the airline you wish to use because each one has different rules for bicycles and many of them require that you pay something to transport the bicycle.
Old 05-18-18, 10:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
After taking several bike tours in northern Europe , Often flying from California,

I moved to a place in the US, to retire, where other people come to or pass thru on their holidays.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-18-18 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 09:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by MarianneM33
Hello Community!
Does someone from you goes for Holidays with him/her bike? If so, would I like to know where it would be best to do a biking holiday.
Could be in summer or winter. So I am curious about your experiences with holidays with your bikes.

regards Marianne
I go wherever the fancy strikes me. Most of my touring over the last decade or so has been chasing US states. I've whittled those down to 3 so I'm expanding my horizons a bit but it's still mostly higglity piggly. Right now I'm considering using Colorado's Bustang system to get me to or from start points for bikepacking in Colorado's mountains. I'm also considering a circumnavigation of El Malpias in New Mexico or returning to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Maybe the Florida Keys to get Florida or the Alaska Marine Highway to get Alaska.

The possibilities are endless.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-20-18, 03:02 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by MarianneM33
Hello!
Thank you for your suggestions. Yes mean vacation. Do you take your bike also with you if you might fly farer away?
Would be curious if I could combine biking with my next trip to ****et for Winter vacation?
Then I also could attend some boat trips like that offered by the Club Champagne ****et.

Marianne
I've toured in Thailand twice, but mainly in northern Thailand. From December to February, northern Thailand has much cooler temperatures than the rest of the year (average highs of about 27C in the winter instead of 35C). It's also the dry season in the north, so it's great cycling weather. Central and southern Thailand are hot the entire year, as is Malaysia. It was quite hot every day by 9am.

I brought my own bike, but I have a folding bike ("Bike Friday") which packs into a suitcase.
Old 05-21-18, 11:28 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 221 Posts
everywhere I like to go.