Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 10:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What handgrips are on her bike?

Ergon grips for the win.
Whatever came as stock. I will check them out.

She may also benefit from long bar ends that get positioned more in the middle of the handlebar, so that she can grab on to these at times for different hand positions.
I was thinking about that, but I'll have to go back to the aluminum handlebars. Not the end of the world, but ...

You can wrap these bars in handlebar tape, but you may need to go back to an alloy handlebar to make the bar ends able to be tightened.
Yup. Carbon isn't even compatible with those little things that it came with.

Maybe she needs aero bars.

(I've been trying to get her to consider trekking bars or a Jones H-bar.)
Old 07-30-17, 11:32 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get plugs for carbon bars that allow you to use normal bar ends.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cn...d-plugs/116848
Old 07-31-17, 03:42 PM
Sirrus17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my 17 Sirrus Expert X1

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-31-17, 06:35 PM
s2000zr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus17

[IMG][/IMG]
Does your X1 chain drop when u back pedal while being in the easiest gear ( the gear closest to the wheel)
Old 07-31-17, 09:11 PM
Sirrus17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s2000zr
Does your X1 chain drop when u back pedal while being in the easiest gear ( the gear closest to the wheel)
No it doesn't, The cassette has been upgraded when new wheels have been added and I recently purchased the sram force carbon crankset.
Old 07-31-17, 11:56 PM
s2000zr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No it doesn't, The cassette has been upgraded when new wheels have been added and I recently purchased the sram force carbon crankset.
What cassette did you upgrade to?
Old 08-01-17, 06:58 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ergon grips might not help. My wife has carpal tunnel and her hands get numb. I upgraded her bike to GP5 grips to give her most hand position options and it did not help at all. The fact that she puts pressure on her hands regardless of position causes her pain.
Old 08-01-17, 11:09 AM
castmasterflash

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ultimate Multi-Tasker

Last edited by castmasterflash; 08-01-17 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 12:57 PM
TMassimo

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon '16

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by castmasterflash
Ultimate Multi-Tasker
that's what the images show

[EDIT]: I can see them now

Last edited by TMassimo; 08-01-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 01:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
Ergon grips might not help. My wife has carpal tunnel and her hands get numb. I upgraded her bike to GP5 grips to give her most hand position options and it did not help at all. The fact that she puts pressure on her hands regardless of position causes her pain.
Sorry to hear that. Did you find any solution?

(BTW, and FWIW, I had carpel tunnel in my right wrist and it went away after I trained myself to use a mouse with the left hand and limited my use of laptop scroll pads.)
Old 08-01-17, 01:02 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Sorry to hear that. Did you find any solution?

(BTW, and FWIW, I had carpel tunnel in my right wrist and it went away after I trained myself to use a mouse with the left hand and limited my use of laptop scroll pads.)
No solution. She just has to ride one-handed a bit and shake her hands out.

Mine get numb sometimes as well if I ride aggressively, but not as bad as hers.
Old 08-01-17, 03:48 PM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No solution. She just has to ride one-handed a bit and shake her hands out.

Mine get numb sometimes as well if I ride aggressively, but not as bad as hers.
I've never heard of carpal tunnel syndrome before so I did a quick Google search and it revealed what causes it...
Stop or cut down on anything that causes you to frequently bend your wrist or grip hard, such as using vibrating tools for work or playing an instrument. (source)
that seems to me exactly what happens when riding a bike. I think the only solution you have is to seek a remedy for this condition.
Old 08-01-17, 04:11 PM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]
nice looks almost as good as mine. What's your impression of the Mavic's wheels? I think they're well worth the upgrade.
Old 08-01-17, 05:13 PM
Sirrus17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s2000zr
What cassette did you upgrade to?
Shimano XT
Old 08-01-17, 05:18 PM
Sirrus17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMassimo
nice looks almost as good as mine. What's your impression of the Mavic's wheels? I think they're well worth the upgrade.
I love the mavis wheels they are worth every penny, lighter than the stock and a lot more durable, the spokes are solid compared to the thin oem axis wheels.
Old 08-01-17, 10:34 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I had that problem. Had it so bad that after about an hour on the bike I could no longer feel if I was shifting or not due to the numbness. I had to go by the feel of the gearing while pedaling. Two surgeries later and now that's fine. Numbness cured.
Old 08-02-17, 07:40 AM
castmasterflash

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love the mavis wheels they are worth every penny, lighter than the stock and a lot more durable, the spokes are solid compared to the thin oem axis wheels.
how much were the wheels if you don't mind me asking? going from the stock 30mm tires to say some conti 28mm tires can save 375g or .8lbs per pair, I wonder how much difference just changing the tires will have in performance.

In your estimation, do you think the major benefit to the wheels is weight savings or stiffness??
Old 08-02-17, 10:16 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
My 2013 Sirrus Limited SL4 is still trucking along. Just hit 21,000 miles on it the other day. One of only 300 made by Specialized and it's still my favorite bike of all time!

It's been upgraded to 11-speed which was a minor pain and it's still rocking the original di2 battery and ki2 shifters.

Old 08-03-17, 12:00 PM
Sirrus17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much were the wheels if you don't mind me asking? going from the stock 30mm tires to say some conti 28mm tires can save 375g or .8lbs per pair, I wonder how much difference just changing the tires will have in performance.

In your estimation, do you think the major benefit to the wheels is weight savings or stiffness??
I think they were on sale for around $700 the last time i checked and wrapping them in gatorskin tires worked out perfectly. I would honestly say that you benefit equally from a little weight reduction and the stiffness plus they are overall SEXY, so if your into aesthetics like myself then thats just icing on the cake.
Old 08-06-17, 10:40 AM
cbass180

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same issue. 5'11 w/ 32' inseam. i test road a medium but I'm not sure it was for me. i have it on layaway and will pick up at the end of the month. lbs was willing to change to a large if needed. thanks for your time.
Old 08-08-17, 07:36 AM
Clamms

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultimate Multi-Tasker

Dude that is awesome. Love the set up and that is one hell of a striper too. Bravo!
Old 08-10-17, 07:40 AM
disq

Bikes: Canyon Endurace AL

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! Owner of a new Sirrus Elite (2017) here, bought about 2 months or so ago. I had it fitted with fenders (P&P) and kickstand. (I love how the kickstand looks btw)

I mainly use my bike to commute (about 2.5 mi / 4 km total) but also try to go on evening/weekend joyrides as well. Feeling competitive I try to get good times on my "everyday segments" in Strava. I use a running t-shirt during cycling and keep a selection of spare t-shirts at work, so sweat is no big deal. I'm switching to cycling tights and will have to keep shorts/pants at work as well.

The last quarter mile of my ride everyday to and from work is cobblestones. The sidewalk is limited and tight, not really suitable for the bike.

- Bike seems heavy, mainly because it is heavy - 31 lbs... (with one spare tube, multi tool, fenders, alu water bottle) I noticed the weight when I bought it actually, but a-it was an improvement over my 40lb 10yo mtb and b-didn't really know that you could have 18-lb bikes without going all carbon/race.
- I feel more competitive the more I ride, but seems like I can't accelerate, especially compared to road bikes that are zipping through....
- The fenders seem to rattle (cobblestones are not good to them) anyway, I'll take them off. They were expensive too.
- I'll switch to the SPD system pretty soon (shoes in the mail, "candy" pedals arrived today) to see what that's all about.

So, should I consider switching to 28c or even 25c tires? I don't think I'll go as far as changing the rims (cost) but tires I can do. I noticed the bundled Espoir "double blackbelt" tires are really sturdy (no flats so far, ridden in pretty questionable circumstances) but how would it be with the slicker tires? I don't necessarily always look where I'm going, occasionally go through a few twigs or whatnot...
Old 08-15-17, 06:15 PM
TomForde

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to see there's some many others that love the Sirrus! I picked up a 2017 Comp Carbon and am absolutely in love. The bike is so comfortable yet SO fast. Roadies are always wondering how a guy in gym clothes on a hybrid bike is pulling away LOL. Been having some fun tinkering on this thing and making it my own. Excited to run a 1X setup someday and get some nicer wheels. Have some Michelin Power Endurance (700cx25) tires coming and will report back on how they work out on this bike. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170526_172511.jpg (97.5 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170701_085318.jpg (98.5 KB, 416 views)

Last edited by TomForde; 08-15-17 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-15-17, 06:29 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by disq
So, should I consider switching to 28c or even 25c tires? I don't think I'll go as far as changing the rims (cost) but tires I can do. I noticed the bundled Espoir "double blackbelt" tires are really sturdy (no flats so far, ridden in pretty questionable circumstances) but how would it be with the slicker tires? I don't necessarily always look where I'm going, occasionally go through a few twigs or whatnot...
From reading your post it sounds like you want a smoother ride ? Smaller tires require higher tire pressures which if course make for a rougher ride. "Slicker" road tires arguably have less rolling resistance, but they're not very good for wet roads or riding on anything but pavement.
Old 08-15-17, 10:59 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by TomForde
Glad to see there's some many others that love the Sirrus! I picked up a 2017 Comp Carbon and am absolutely in love. The bike is so comfortable yet SO fast. Roadies are always wondering how a guy in gym clothes on a hybrid bike is pulling away LOL. Been having some fun tinkering on this thing and making it my own. Excited to run a 1X setup someday and get some nicer wheels. Have some Michelin Power Endurance (700cx25) tires coming and will report back on how they work out on this bike. Cheers!
Love the colour scheme on that Sirrus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.