Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

GM to make e-bikes

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

GM to make e-bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 06:33 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
"Hi, I'm tandempower and I'd like to report a scooter that is parked badly ...."

Yeah, OK, that could work.
Well, there needs to be some way of ensuring accountability for the complaints. Otherwise you could have people reporting scooters frivolously to trigger fines against them and cause unnecessary work for inspectors.
Old 11-26-18, 07:07 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower

In other words, they are trying to force people into driving by blocking alternatives. They use things like sidewalk clutter and safety as excuses to protect their big tax payers from losses.
The clutter and the safety concerns are real and observable. That any corporate entity wishes to block the use of such vehicles due to economic concerns is conjecture with no significant basis.
Old 11-26-18, 09:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
The clutter and the safety concerns are real and observable. That any corporate entity wishes to block the use of such vehicles due to economic concerns is conjecture with no significant basis.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bird...6L4uCq9HmVOwM:
Old 11-26-18, 09:15 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Sorry, I don't remember the source. There were a lot of articles about various municipalities creating fee schedules and unit limits for share bikes and scooters. They seemed overly restrictive to me, and I read an article that explicitly noted that they would stifle the level of unit deployment that would be necessary for providing a popular alternative to driving.

In other words, the municipal governments are trying to restrict them to a certain elite, probably because they've been lobbied by certain business interests that want to limit alternatives to driving, i.e. in order to protect businesses that support driving from potential losses.

In other words, they are trying to force people into driving by blocking alternatives. They use things like sidewalk clutter and safety as excuses to protect their big tax payers from losses.
So there is no basis in reality of a $500/unit fee besides, "I seem to recall"

And municipalities don't license and restrict other forms of "for hire" transportation?

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/08/n...-car-licenses/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxica..._United_States

https://www.google.com/search?q=taxi...firefox-b-1-ab
Old 11-26-18, 12:59 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
But can you prove that?
I pretty much believe what I posted after the words “News flash” gives an example that at least points to how I process opinions.

Maybe more to the point here there seems to be a fixation you have with blaming everything on your own personal devil, the auto industry. Throwing out accusations on how things work in relation to your preconceived ideas has drawn response from several poster with links that support their assertions on fees, taxes and other related regulations imposed by governments. Those attempted “proofs” have not deflected your concerns.

Alternatively you have posted figures and statistics not supported by any confirmed evidence on your part other than a vague rememberance of something someone may have written.

It is hard for someone that tries to deal with verifiable evidence to prove anything to someone who lives by “feelings”.

Old 11-26-18, 01:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Holding your breath on this? Don't..
GM is Shutting down whole plants and sacking thousands

Reuters
Old 11-26-18, 02:05 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Sacking over 14,000. Great company for effing up everywhere it has been, including Australia. Just watching the TV ads for its products now for sale in Australia is beyond embarrassing.

Who would want to buy bikes from it based on its history? Not me.
Old 11-26-18, 02:45 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Holding your breath on this? Don't..
GM is Shutting down whole plants and sacking thousands

Reuters
They are shutting down the assembly lines for vehicles.... SO, They ARE, MUST be switching over to E-bicycle manufacturing....
Old 11-26-18, 03:48 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Maybe more to the point here there seems to be a fixation you have with blaming everything on your own personal devil, the auto industry.

There's no either/or to assigning blame, because there's a synergy between various interconnected interests, which includes the workers/unions, investors, corporate people, etc. etc. When people coordinate to push certain more expensive products by suppressing other more affordable ones, it is anti-competitive. You can say, "oh that's just what the public wants," but in reality everyone wants something more affordable when the alternative is running out of money.

Throwing out accusations on how things work in relation to your preconceived ideas has drawn response from several poster with links that support their assertions on fees, taxes and other related regulations imposed by governments. Those attempted “proofs” have not deflected your concerns.
Because I know how it is possible for a liar to 'demonstrate proof' of everything except the things they are concealing from view. Denial, lying, etc. are not wild conspiracies but everyday strategies of people at every level of their lives. Honesty is a preciously scarce virtue and denying dishonesty and whitewashing wrongdoing is the easy/low road to gain without responsibility.

Alternatively you have posted figures and statistics not supported by any confirmed evidence on your part other than a vague rememberance of something someone may have written.

It is hard for someone that tries to deal with verifiable evidence to prove anything to someone who lives by “feelings”.
Are you claiming that you are more interested in truth than in spinning your version of reality to suit your interests?
Old 11-26-18, 05:16 PM
Mobile 155

There's no either/or to assigning blame, because there's a synergy between various interconnected interests, which includes the workers/unions, investors, corporate people, etc. etc. When people coordinate to push certain more expensive products by suppressing other more affordable ones, it is anti-competitive. You can say, "oh that's just what the public wants," but in reality everyone wants something more affordable when the alternative is running out of money.

Because I know how it is possible for a liar to 'demonstrate proof' of everything except the things they are concealing from view. Denial, lying, etc. are not wild conspiracies but everyday strategies of people at every level of their lives. Honesty is a preciously scarce virtue and denying dishonesty and whitewashing wrongdoing is the easy/low road to gain without responsibility.

Are you claiming that you are more interested in truth than in spinning your version of reality to suit your interests?
Reality is what it is. I try not to assault the walls of reality with dreams that have been rejected by my neighbors. Truth is easy to see. More people will choose the easier way to get from point A to point B. How do we know? Anthropology gives us a clue. People found easier ways to travel than walking. People found easier ways of living than living in caves. They discovered bringing water to them was easier than going out and hauling it themselves.

Wagons were easier than walking. Trains were easier than wagons and for traveling Planes are easier still.

Truth is observable. People prefer easy and comfort over hard and uncomfortable. I have seen it.
Old 11-26-18, 05:21 PM
tandempower

Reality is what it is. I try not to assault the walls of reality with dreams that have been rejected by my neighbors. Truth is easy to see. More people will choose the easier way to get from point A to point B. How do we know? Anthropology gives us a clue. People found easier ways to travel than walking. People found easier ways of living than living in caves. They discovered bringing water to them was easier than going out and hauling it themselves.

Wagons were easier than walking. Trains were easier than wagons and for traveling Planes are easier still.

Truth is observable. People prefer easy and comfort over hard and uncomfortable. I have seen it.
But there are people trying to choose alternatives to driving and there are various external sources obstructing them. You can just pretend like it's simple honest supply and demand and competition without anti-competitive market manipulation, but that is willful denial of efforts to stifle alternative transportation.

It's tripping your competition and then saying, 'oh, poor kid, better watch where you're going," as if you weren't the one who tripped him.
Old 11-26-18, 05:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

GM was instrumental in taking Out a functioning Transportation option,
right after WW2,

Rail based Municipally Run , Public transit..
to sell Rubber tired Diesel powered Busses..

And at the same time Marshall plan was loaning Europe Money
to rebuild theirs..

now nobody wants anything but privatized transportation ,
everyone has to buy their own stuff.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-26-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 06:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
GM was instrumental in taking Out a functioning Transportation option, right after WW2,

Rail based Municipally Run , Public transit.. to sell Rubber tired Diesel powered Busses..

And at the same time Marshall plan was loaning Europe Money to rebuild theirs..

now nobody wants anything but privatized transportation , your own stuff,
Constant repetition of a myth or falsehood doesn't make it any more true, no matter how much it may fit your personal set of beliefs.

See https://www.bikeforums.net/20675431-post141.html for more details. But stick with your preferred alternate reality if it makes you feel better.
Old 11-26-18, 06:18 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Constant repetition of a myth or falsehood doesn't make it any more true, no matter how much it may fit your personal set of beliefs..
But can you prove it?
Old 11-26-18, 07:33 PM
Mobile 155

But there are people trying to choose alternatives to driving and there are various external sources obstructing them. You can just pretend like it's simple honest supply and demand and competition without anti-competitive market manipulation, but that is willful denial of efforts to stifle alternative transportation.

It's tripping your competition and then saying, 'oh, poor kid, better watch where you're going," as if you weren't the one who tripped him.

There has been no evidence that anyone in this forum has been denied the right to try alternative forms of transportation. The best that can be said is that a large part of society is not interested in helping non conformists be non conformist. But almost all of society is willing to let them be non conformist if they wish to do so. No one is told they cannot ride a bike, walk or take a bus anywhere they want. Except were it might be dangerous like freeways. All the other forms of transportation are available. So no one is restricting scooters or bikes or walking. That is not to say there should be no regulations as to what people have to put up with so that bikes and scooters can have free range of our public walkways and roads.

There is still no connection to GM and the back lash that cities are having with Escooters and Ebikes dropped at random anywhere on a city street or sidewalk. And because the problem is just as bad in China as in the US it cannot be blamed on GM or the automotive industry. And besides if I and 9 out of 10 households in the US can buy our own vehicle to drive on highways how hard can it be for the 1 to 5 percent to buy their own scooter or Ebike? It sounds like the bigger complaint is that not everything is free to use. I suspect if cars we free to just step into and go where people wanted there would be no mass transit or scooters and maybe Ebikes. I will say it again, people don't want to do things the hard way except maybe for entertainment.
Old 11-26-18, 08:05 PM
Mobile 155

GM was instrumental in taking Out a functioning Transportation option,
right after WW2,

Rail based Municipally Run , Public transit..
to sell Rubber tired Diesel powered Busses..

And at the same time Marshall plan was loaning Europe Money
to rebuild theirs..

now nobody wants anything but privatized transportation ,
everyone has to buy their own stuff.

Are you sure the fall of light rail trolleys was GMs fault?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gm-...ally-happened/
Old 11-26-18, 08:31 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts

Nobody, not even me said it was GM's "fault"... But, GM hastened it along... You know, something like a bakery existed in a small town for decades, and along comes a billionaire that has a wish to make HIS bakery the toast of the town and after a decade that bakery is still there, hanging on, and... the billionaire buys it and ends up the "best bakery" in town... WOW, how "fortunate" was that…??? Did that mom's and pop's bakery that disappeared, was it because of natural selection...?? I would say not, It Was that a conscientious "killing" of a less powerful competitor, by an overly powerful new and rich business ...??? THAT IS why there is and still are Laws against that kind of thing, and GM and others WERE found guilty of breaking some of those laws... That is how I read the past...
Old 11-26-18, 09:34 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Nobody, not even me said it was GM's "fault"... But, GM hastened it along... You know, something like a bakery existed in a small town for decades, and along comes a billionaire that has a wish to make HIS bakery the toast of the town and after a decade that bakery is still there, hanging on, and... the billionaire buys it and ends up the "best bakery" in town... WOW, how "fortunate" was that…??? Did that mom's and pop's bakery that disappeared, was it because of natural selection...?? I would say not, It Was that a conscientious "killing" of a less powerful competitor, by an overly powerful new and rich business ...??? THAT IS why there is and still are Laws against that kind of thing, and GM and others WERE found guilty of breaking some of those laws... That is how I read the past...
I believe he stated GM was instrumental in taking out a functioning transportation system. The court documents, and you can easily look them up, said GM and several other companies conspired to take over National and Pacific to create a monopoly to supply bus parts and tires. The court briefing also stated that National and Pacific were already dismantling the Trolly lines. And Pacific was never owned by GM, it was part of Southern Pacific Rail till 1953 and finally became part of LAMTA till the city took it apart in 1963. When was the court case again?
The Great GM Conspiracy Legend

So what do we know and what do we believe? Like it has been said they were bleeding money like water and were ripe for a take over. And there was no public interest to save them. So how would they have lasted anyway? Remember the conspiracy to create a monopoly was made in 1948 , GM, Standard Oil and Firestone, and LAMTA had control of the Trollys in 1963.. Well after the attempted monopoly was broken up.

Here is some more interesting reading on what happened to the Trollys. https://www.ranker.com/list/what-was...istopher-myers
Old 11-26-18, 09:55 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
In GM's statement today, they said they wanted to known as a tech company rather than an auto company.
Old 11-26-18, 10:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Presumably to the conspiracy minded "critical thinkers" of BF-LCF, Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse, and the electric traction moguls were instrumental in "taking out the [allegedly] functioning transportation option" of horse drawn trolleys, just as presumably Henry Ford, Ransom Olds, Walter Chrysler, Louis Chevrolet, et al. were instrumental in "taking out the [allegedly] functioning transportation option" of horse drawn carriages.
Old 11-26-18, 11:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Check the court records

collusion happens
capitalism only cares about profit. not you ..
watch the death of humanity be profitable in the short term
but you still die.

live where it mighr burn?
Old 11-26-18, 11:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
In GM's statement today, they said they wanted to known as a tech company rather than an auto company.
And they just let like 14-15,000 workers go and shut down several assembly plants to prove it.
Old 11-26-18, 11:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
But can you prove it?
Who Framed Roger Rabbit was only a movie?
Old 11-27-18, 12:14 AM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Presumably to the conspiracy minded "critical thinkers" of BF-LCF, Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse, and the electric traction moguls were instrumental in "taking out the [allegedly] functioning transportation option" of horse drawn trolleys, just as presumably Henry Ford, Ransom Olds, Walter Chrysler, Louis Chevrolet, et al. were instrumental in "taking out the [allegedly] functioning transportation option" of horse drawn carriages.

I don't really get the connection the conspiracy people are trying to make. . Mankind doesn't stay static in hardly anything they do. We don't farm like we used to. We don't mine like we used to. we don't build like we used to. Many more people have traveled several times across the ocean and not bemoaned the passing of the Hindenburg as a flight choice. Yet with all of the options available to everyone to walk, ride a bike, ride a scooter, get an small EV that only works as a LSV, take a bus, ride a train, fly on a plain only the automotive industry has somehow worked to make life hard for every other form of transportation?

But with all of the old options of transportation still available to everyone who cares to use them the very idea that so many have decided to use cars, even if they use bikes and walk more than many LCF people, causes apoplexy. In truth it doesn't matter if GM wants to sell Ebikes or not. It is what the customer is willing to buy that matters. And I just have a hard time believing the people that call themselves LCF are more aware than those that are not interested in being car free. I also don't believe GM will move anyone towards or away from car free. Nor am I convinced GM is very active in the Escoter and Ebike dockless debate.
Old 11-27-18, 04:07 PM
tandempower

There is still no connection to GM and the back lash that cities are having with Escooters and Ebikes dropped at random anywhere on a city street or sidewalk.
GM and other transportation companies are in the precarious position of solving the problems they have created. GM seems to be planning for a future of reduced car ownership by the look of their current factory closure plans, and there are going to be pressures on them to try to increase business to save jobs or rehire people who get laid off. Imo, the solution is to create more low-paying jobs, because that would ease the burden on consumers without driving up unemployment. After all, why would everyone want to spend as much as people spend on driving to not drive?

I don't even think most people ever wanted to spend that much money on driving to begin with, but they didn't think they had alternatives.

And because the problem is just as bad in China as in the US it cannot be blamed on GM or the automotive industry. And besides if I and 9 out of 10 households in the US can buy our own vehicle to drive on highways how hard can it be for the 1 to 5 percent to buy their own scooter or Ebike? It sounds like the bigger complaint is that not everything is free to use. I suspect if cars we free to just step into and go where people wanted there would be no mass transit or scooters and maybe Ebikes. I will say it again, people don't want to do things the hard way except maybe for entertainment.
Cars & pavement per capita should keep dropping for environmental/climate reasons, and maybe the easy way to reduce driving is for people to move closer to work or work closer to home. You seem to think that the sprawl-driving paradigm is unchangeable, but you can't go on denying the problems it causes forever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.