Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First major crash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First major crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 10:20 AM
Rkman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First major crash

Hey guys, just had my first major crash on a bike. I was cycling at 20-30 mph on a 2 mile trail, and I was out of the saddle pedalling. All of a sudden, the bike locked up and I flew over the handlebars. I landed on my wrists and I broke one wrist and skinned the other. I was wearing a helmet luckily. Kinda sucks since I am 14 and currently taking a course to skip algebra 2 honors over the summer. Does anyone have any insight on what caused the crash? The bike is a specialized allez sport and when I got up and looked at it the chain had come off and the rubber hoods were torn.the place I was cycling had a smooth road with no debris on it. I am asking cause I suspect the shop where I bought the bike might have incorrectly set the limit screws on the FD, since the bike is only around 2 weeks old
Thanks for any insight
Old 07-12-18, 10:38 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Is the rear derailleur twisted up and jammed into the spokes? A chain getting jammed between big and FD would cause that to. I've had both happen but luckily was just putting around. Were you changing gears at the time? Swinging around in your out of saddle, bump (you say smooth road, asking anyway)? PICS?

Last edited by u235; 07-12-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 11:02 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Bummer about the crash. If you broke your wrist, how are you typing this stuff out? And why?

20-30 mph?

Do you actually know what the limit screws do? Especially on the FD? For a bike to lock up and you to go over the bars would mean the front wheel locking up. Rear wheel locking up will just cause you to skid.

Chain coming off and all is likely a result of the crash, not the cause (same for hoods).I mean, you could jump gears I guess, which may cause you to lurch, but you'd have to be pretty unbalanced to go over the bars from it. No way for anyone to know. Chalk it up to stuff happens and try to be more cognizant of your body position and weight distribution on the bike.. Without anyone actually seeing it it's all a guess.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 07-12-18 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 11:12 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Squirrel!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-18, 11:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I'd look at your front wheel, fork, and spokes carefully.

Anything bent or cracked on the back side of the fork? Any spokes bent? Is the wheel still true?

It is possible you picked up some debris that spun around and locked up the wheel. It can make for some spectacular crashes.

Also, did you hit your head? Do you remember the accident well? Were you riding with someone?

Riding forward and standing can be a relatively unstable place to be riding. Simply hitting the front brake hard can send you flying.
Old 07-12-18, 11:39 AM
CliffordK

Oh, and take care of the hand. Heal quickly, and good luck with the summer classes.
Old 07-12-18, 01:01 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
For a bike to lock up and you to go over the bars would mean the front wheel locking up. Rear wheel locking up will just cause you to skid.
Yeah, this. You might crash on a rear wheel lockup, but very unlikely to go over the bars.

So what can make the front lock up? It's pretty rare. Something jammed into the spokes; the wheel folded or came out of the dropouts; the frame broke. I've also seen people pull their stems off the head tube and the wheel flopped sideways.
Old 07-12-18, 01:11 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I assume "flew over the bars" was not literally. Any wipeout can put you slightly off to the side and on a trajectory from a first persons perspective be considered flying forward and scraping to a stop in front of the bike. I doubt he.she actually knows the real path they took. Maybe I read too much or not enough into that statement. I've watched enough youtube crash compilations that seem to show that

Last edited by u235; 07-12-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 01:13 PM
CliffordK

Oh, one other thing to look for. Return to the scene of the accident and look for road cracks (deep and wide). They can eat up a front wheel quickly and throw down a cyclist. Parallel storm sewer grates?

What is a "trail"? I'm assuming paved bike/multi-use path as this is the road forum, plus your speed.

Was the riding in the daylight? Well lit area? Shadows?
Old 07-12-18, 01:17 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Yeah, this. You might crash on a rear wheel lockup, but very unlikely to go over the bars.

So what can make the front lock up? It's pretty rare. Something jammed into the spokes; the wheel folded or came out of the dropouts; the frame broke. I've also seen people pull their stems off the head tube and the wheel flopped sideways.
Sadly, I have first hand experience with going over the bars with a rear wheel lockup.
Like the OP, I was standing and hammering when the rear wheel pulled out of the semi-horizontal dropouts.
I assume my speed coupled with the high center of gravity led to the end result.
Make sure those QRs are tight y'all.
Old 07-12-18, 02:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Might have been a Tank Possum. You know how vicious those beasts are around bicycles.

The dreaded Tank Possum.

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Squirrel!

Old 07-12-18, 02:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Few weeks back a riding partner had his front wheel torque sideways and jam against the fork ... I assume he bumped his QR lever while taking the bike out of his car or at some point before rolling out. First time he really hit the brakes hard, he nearly wrecked us both.

One thing an old MTB racer told me ... always check before riding. Shake the bike, shake the wheels, squeeze the tires ... test the stuff that might loosen. Seems silly except for that 1-in-100 time you find the headset is loose or whatever ... and you realize that you missed an opportunity to do serious damage to the bike and maybe yourself.
Old 07-12-18, 02:34 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
I assume "flew over the bars" was not literally. Any wipeout can put you slightly off to the side and on a trajectory from a first persons perspective be considered flying forward and scraping to a stop in front of the bike. I doubt he.she actually knows the real path they took. Maybe I read too much or not enough into that statement. I've watched enough youtube crash compilations that seem to show that
I've gone directly over the bars myself. It's not that hard if your front wheel stops dead.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-18, 03:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
IMO, take your bike with you when you crash. Don't let go and just go flying off like Superman with out stretched arms because you will likely break something as you found out.

Staying with the bike is one of the main things I think has kept me from getting anything more than an abrasion or nursing a sore hip or shoulder for a week.
Old 07-12-18, 03:20 PM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just had my first 'major' crash on 6/11.. I went down on a downhill going 30+ mph, but I was not as lucky as you....I broke ribs, my clavicle and scapula.. as well as collapsed my left lung... I was taken away in an ambulance. Thank goodness I was in a group ride when it happened. Consider yourself lucky. I'm pretty sure i hit a crack just wide enough to torque my front wheel and throw me. It can happen pretty easily..but lack of regular/proper maintenance can be a major cause.. so make sure to get your bike checked up regularly and you can lower your chances. I lost my poor Wilier Cento1 in that crash. Remember any crash you walk or ride away from is a blessing. I'll be healing for a while. Get yourself looked at and heal up quick. I once had a minor crash that tore a ligament in my thumb and I thought it was just 'bruised'.
Old 07-12-18, 04:57 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
IMO, take your bike with you when you crash. Don't let go and just go flying off like Superman with out stretched arms because you will likely break something as you found out.

Staying with the bike is one of the main things I think has kept me from getting anything more than an abrasion or nursing a sore hip or shoulder for a week.
I was able to do this on my only real crash and it is preferable.it is not always realistic though. I have taken many plunges on my mtb and sometimes I go with the bike and other times we part ways. It happens fast.
Old 07-12-18, 05:37 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I didn’t want to be the first to say this, but I guess no one else is going to.

You didn’t have a major wreck.

I’m glad you didn’t experience a major wreck. Major wrecks are awful. I’m glad you didn’t have one.
Old 07-12-18, 10:25 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Your comment is a major wreck.

Originally Posted by noodle soup

I’m glad you didn’t experience a major wreck. Major wrecks are awful. I’m glad you didn’t have one.

1) the kid is 14.
2) his arm is broken.
3) his bike likely had some major damage...
(Forgotten what your first good bike cost you?)
4) his summer plans are substantially altered, and probably impaired.

So your 'major' and his dont match up.
Kinda sad.
Old 07-12-18, 10:38 PM
CliffordK

We can argue definitions if one wishes. Ending up in the ER after a crash and returning home with a cast or splint is "Major" It could have been worse, and thankfully it wasn't (we hope).

It still is worth analyzing what happened so hopefully it can be prevented next time.

SLOW DOWN? Consider rider position & bike balance?

There have been quite a few suggestions of things to consider. Hopefully the OP has had a chance to look at a few things, although, if the bike was disassembled for transport or something, then some valuable data may be lost. Photos at the scene?

The bike is nearly brand new, so there is the temptation to lay the blame on the shop. But, there is also a mix of shop vs rider responsibility. A loose rear wheel could potentially be blamed on the shop, unless the OP removed and re-installed it after purchasing the bike.

BTW: Quick Releases are being used properly, right? Turn it with the QR open until finger tight, then flip the lever to lock (using about as tight as one can get it). Adjust the nut until flipping the lever gets it quite tight.
Old 07-14-18, 04:49 PM
Rkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'd look at your front wheel, fork, and spokes carefully.

Anything bent or cracked on the back side of the fork? Any spokes bent? Is the wheel still true?

It is possible you picked up some debris that spun around and locked up the wheel. It can make for some spectacular crashes.

Also, did you hit your head? Do you remember the accident well? Were you riding with someone?

Riding forward and standing can be a relatively unstable place to be riding. Simply hitting the front brake hard can send you flying.
I think something got between the spoke and the fork cause when I looked at the bike, there is only a bent spoke and some paint chip on the fork in addition to completely tearing up the hoods as damage
Old 07-14-18, 04:52 PM
Rkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, one other thing to look for. Return to the scene of the accident and look for road cracks (deep and wide). They can eat up a front wheel quickly and throw down a cyclist. Parallel storm sewer grates?

What is a "trail"? I'm assuming paved bike/multi-use path as this is the road forum, plus your speed.

Was the riding in the daylight? Well lit area? Shadows?
it was a section of 2 miles of curvy new tarmac, all downhill at around a 2-3 percent gradient. Not many people know about it, which is great for me. I was riding at around 7:30 please, our sundown is at 8:30, so it was well lit
Old 07-14-18, 04:53 PM
Rkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

i definitely agree, but looking back at it, it was my first crash so I kind of over emphsized it
Old 07-14-18, 04:55 PM
Rkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip
1) the kid is 14.
2) his arm is broken.
3) his bike likely had some major damage...
(Forgotten what your first good bike cost you?)
4) his summer plans are substantially altered, and probably impaired.

So your 'major' and his dont match up.
Kinda sad.
Its actually not that bad, I only have around 5 weeks for recovery and the only damage is that the brake hoods are torn up. My class is alright since I'm a right and can still take notes and do test s, since my left wrist is broken
Old 07-14-18, 04:58 PM
Rkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can argue definitions if one wishes. Ending up in the ER after a crash and returning home with a cast or splint is "Major" It could have been worse, and thankfully it wasn't (we hope).

It still is worth analyzing what happened so hopefully it can be prevented next time.

SLOW DOWN? Consider rider position & bike balance?

There have been quite a few suggestions of things to consider. Hopefully the OP has had a chance to look at a few things, although, if the bike was disassembled for transport or something, then some valuable data may be lost. Photos at the scene?

The bike is nearly brand new, so there is the temptation to lay the blame on the shop. But, there is also a mix of shop vs rider responsibility. A loose rear wheel could potentially be blamed on the shop, unless the OP removed and re-installed it after purchasing the bike.

BTW: Quick Releases are being used properly, right? Turn it with the QR open until finger tight, then flip the lever to lock (using about as tight as one can get it). Adjust the nut until flipping the lever gets it quite tight.
After looking at the bike, I'm pretty sure it isn't the shops fault, and besides the only damage was some scratches on the frame and levers and a destroyed brake hoods, so I'll probably cover it. The quick releases are alright, I always check them before I ride
Old 07-14-18, 04:59 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Rkman
I think something got between the spoke and the fork cause when I looked at the bike, there is only a bent spoke and some paint chip on the fork in addition to completely tearing up the hoods as damage
It sounds like you may be narrowing it down if the bent front spoke and chip on the back of the fork line up.

It still is a bit odd, as I think one's wheels tend to toss stuff up behind you (so more of an issue if you are following someone or passing someone).

It may well be a fluke accident. But, still watch what you're running over, especially stuff that might flip around to bite you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.