Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 11:18 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Why ?

i own a wabi AND an ALL CITY Nature Boy ... i had been hanging around this site for a few years before i joined ... why are the single speeders not a separate forum from the fixed ??? at one time fixers were the IN bikes but now it seems that SS CXRs & MTBs are becoming more IN and there is little in common with SS bikes or culture and Fixed bikes and culture
Old 04-20-20, 11:47 AM
JohnSnowNW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I must admit that I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the "culture" aspects of Fixed vs SS...but isn't there only one single component difference (or hub flip) between the two bike styles?

*shrugs...just seems a little exclusive
Old 04-20-20, 11:55 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I didn't know this forum was about culture. I figured it was simply about bikes that couldn't change gears regardless if the rear cog can freewheel or not.

Then there is also the topic of forum traffic. If you want to see a forum's traffic reduce to a crawl, subdivide it.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 04-20-20, 11:58 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
I think the culture disparity you are experiencing is better characterized through a road vs off-road context. SS/FG on the road are less disparate topics than SS on road vs SS on dirt. Maybe we're in agreement there though???

I'm sure some people race FG off road but that's dumb IMO (ducks head...). For real though, on that note, the "tracklocross" trend presents an interesting sub-culture that from it's roots came from SS/FG on-road but has fairly obvious cross over to the dirt riders. I don't anticipate established cross and MTB racers will flock to it in droves but I'm sure there will be some.

On a separate note if you have a serious request/inquiry about this (or anything else) feel free to post in the Suggestions forum or PM me directly and it will get passed to the moderation team.
Old 04-20-20, 11:59 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Then there is also the topic of forum traffic. If you want to see a forum's traffic reduce to a crawl, subdivide it.
agreed. there was talk of splitting SS MTB into a separate forum from MTB for a while but we chose not to for this reason.
Old 04-20-20, 12:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
i own a wabi AND an ALL CITY Nature Boy ... i had been hanging around this site for a few years before i joined ... why are the single speeders not a separate forum from the fixed ??? at one time fixers were the IN bikes but now it seems that SS CXRs & MTBs are becoming more IN and there is little in common with SS bikes or culture and Fixed bikes and culture
You think you've got it bad. My bike doesn't know whether it belongs in C&V, Commuting, Gravelbiking, Mountain Biking, SS/FG... or if it's too weird for any of the above.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-20-20, 01:20 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
but now it seems that SS CXRs & MTBs are becoming more IN
It seems they're way down from their popularity of a few years ago. Especially MTB's. For short while there you could find a ton of SS MTB's being made. Now they're much more few and far between. It was like a quick fad. The majority of them now are ones that come with derailleurs but have sliding dropouts if you want to convert, like my Jamis Dragonslayer 26+ I bought a couple of months ago.

I'm just glad that on this forum I'm not seeing many "fixies" with purple rims, green chains and no brakes.
Old 04-20-20, 02:25 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

in b4 AYHSMB
Old 04-20-20, 02:36 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Because not everything needs a separate forum.
Old 04-20-20, 02:37 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
in b4 AYHSMB
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 04-20-20, 02:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

classic
Old 04-20-20, 07:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
What about a thread for dinglespeed? Why should it just be single speed and fixed gears getting a separate thread some people have Surly Dingle Cogs or White Industries DOS Eno freewheels!!! Also what about a thread for folks who run IGHs but with a fixed ISO cog on the other side so it is really just a fixed gear with a multi gear flip flop.

Also what about Penny-Farthings where is there separate forum? We aren't fixed nor are we just pigeon-holed into "classic and vintage with some crappy Colnago with derailleurs" I would mention unicycles but "teh fashists" like @TMonk probably would shut us down because we only have one wheel and "bi" technically means two.

Let's all form the thread separatist party and demand more threads from our leadership. No longer shall we have to live under the tyranny of some banner that fits fine but we could have a sub forum anyway for like two of us. Our two voices matter. So whether you like artisanal French mixte frames from 1957-1962 or you ride a double high tall bike with 700x30 tires exclusively on gravel that is larger than 2mm but smaller than 5mm. Your voice should be heard.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-20-20, 07:47 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What about a thread for dinglespeed? Why should it just be single speed and fixed gears getting a separate thread some people have Surly Dingle Cogs or White Industries DOS Eno freewheels!!! Also what about a thread for folks who run IGHs but with a fixed ISO cog on the other side so it is really just a fixed gear with a multi gear flip flop.

Also what about Penny-Farthings where is there separate forum? We aren't fixed nor are we just pigeon-holed into "classic and vintage with some crappy Colnago with derailleurs" I would mention unicycles but "teh fashists" like @TMonk probably would shut us down because we only have one wheel and "bi" technically means two.

Let's all form the thread separatist party and demand more threads from our leadership. No longer shall we have to live under the tyranny of some banner that fits fine but we could have a sub forum anyway for like two of us. Our two voices matter. So whether you like artisanal French mixte frames from 1957-1962 or you ride a double high tall bike with 700x30 tires exclusively on gravel that is larger than 2mm but smaller than 5mm. Your voice should be heard.
>>> so much for my SS thread stimulus
Old 04-20-20, 08:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Also what about Penny-Farthings where is there separate forum? We aren't fixed nor are we just pigeon-holed into "classic and vintage with some crappy Colnago with derailleurs" I would mention unicycles but "teh fashists" like @TMonk probably would shut us down because we only have one wheel and "bi" technically means two..
This would be shut down on the basis of topic specificity. In our (soon to be released) new forum policy, topic specificity violation is grounds for termination and banishment from the forums. By their very definition, unicycles and unicycle related discussion does not belong on a "bike" (bicycle) forum - as you correctly pointed out!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-20-20, 09:07 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
SSCX? Over. Tracklocross? So 2019. 2020 is the year of brakeless indoor tracklogravel. Do try to keep up.
Old 04-20-20, 09:48 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
The way things are going we'll need a thread for "how to make the most of singlespeed on an indoor trainer"....
Likes For pbass:
Old 04-21-20, 05:06 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

i guess SS trikes will go threadless also

Old 04-21-20, 02:22 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Definitely what we need is more categories and sub categories, cliques, niches, sects, tribes, and subcultures. The world is far too harmonious as it is.

I bought my fixed because I wanted to try it. I was not even aware it was a trendy thing to do. I'm a Morris dancer who listens to early rockabilly: I don't do trendy.

I ride my fixed because I enjoy it. I have sometimes had it set up with a freewheel, sometimes with a flip flop hub. I ride it on and off road, occasionally commute, and I sometimes go for weeks without riding it. I also own a 2 x 10 gravel bike (although it wasn't called a gravel bike when I bought it because I liked its features) and I have a garage full of unicycles (24 inch general, 24 inch muni, 700c road, 29" muni, and 36" general) and enjoy riding them each for slightly different reasons.

We could just enjoy riding what we ride, and sharing stories and hints and tips.

Do we want to become like some obscure branch of punk or metal, with half a dozen adjectives: hardcore Scandinavian dark death speed thrash cyclists, or something?

The only true bike culture is enjoying riding bikes and respecting others who ride theirs. The rest is passing fashion and fad. Single speeds and fixed riders have much in common, and some differences. Neither is right nor elite.
Old 04-21-20, 07:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
This would be shut down on the basis of topic specificity. In our (soon to be released) new forum policy, topic specificity violation is grounds for termination and banishment from the forums. By their very definition, unicycles and unicycle related discussion does not belong on a "bike" (bicycle) forum - as you correctly pointed out!
As I said "teh fashists" UNICYCLES HAVE RIGHTS TOO. Down with specificity tyranny. Long live double tall full suspension penny farthing swing bikes
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-22-20, 10:23 AM
LNKFixed
Fixed on the plains.

Bikes: 2019 Leader 721, 2020 Bombtrack Hook EXT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I'm sure some people race FG off road but that's dumb IMO (ducks head...)
That's one hell of a hot take these days my guy.
Likes For LNKFixed:
Old 04-22-20, 11:57 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

What's the fun in off road if you're not going to be navigating over big rocks, logs, drops etc - gotta coast over those. As a (sometimes) MTB'r, gravel riding at large strikes me as kinda dumb and boring too...

(ducks head again, runs far, far away)
Old 04-22-20, 12:36 PM
Mikefule

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Off road is fun for many reasons. The two obvious ones are:

1) See what you can achieve on this particular cycle. Full suspension, fat tyres, multi gears, you need to find drops and rocks etc; fixed wheel, no suspension, skinny tyres, you can find a challenge locally.

2) Just enjoying exploring the woods and hills.

I've seen plenty of mountain bikes trundling along the main forest tracks while I've been exploring the narrow tracks and tricky bits on fixed, or on unicycle.
Old 04-22-20, 12:54 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
I assume not many track riders and hipsters spend their time browsing online bike forums!

The "culture," can be found on the street, local venues, bars, and coffee shops. Maybe on Instagram and Facebook aswell... BikeForums though? I think they'd rather be doing skids on tyres found in the dump!
Old 04-22-20, 12:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Maybe it depends on where you're living - tons of good trails with challenging terrain in San Diego city limits and the county at large.
Old 04-22-20, 01:26 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I love living near a city mtb park (especially since my county isn't shutting it down). I take a fixed gear down ~1.5m to the trailhead and loop the crosscountry looop once or twice and ride home. I get a great workout without commiting as much time. These trails have gotten so much use over the years that roots are worn down and most of what was challenging has erroded away, but it's still away from traffic, has up-downs-lefts-rights and gets me out there.
Likes For Dylansbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.