Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bobke’s favorite bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bobke’s favorite bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 08:36 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Bobke’s favorite bike

nice video about a bike and a builder that I admire;

Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 07-13-19, 09:21 AM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Drive side!
Likes For belacqua:
Old 07-13-19, 10:40 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
This brings back memories. Being from Dayton, Ohio home of "Huffy" reminds me of when I was a teenager and I did some racing with the Dayton Cycling Club and an offer was made by a club member to have our individual bikes painted at no charge since Huffy was a corporate sponsor. I ended up having my Puch Marco Polo touring bike painted. The color scheme that was used was a pearlescent white with red decals. The person that did the painting was an amateur and the paint was terrible. There were runs, orange peel and soft paint. Just terrible. The guy that facilitated this deal said his dad could do braze on bits and I asked him to put campy cable guides and down tube shifter bosses on my frame. Big mistake! This guy's dad had never brazed anything. They were crooked, had all kinds of solder drips all over the place and they broke off while under cable tension during a ride!

I ended up sending the "Huffy" rebadged Puch frame to Doug Fattic who did a lovely job of fixing the messed up braze on bits (my LBS mechanic called them weld ons), stripping the paint and re-painting it a lovely metallic red/burgundy Dupont Imron color. This bike ran 27" wheels which is what I raced on as a junior in the practice races.
Old 07-13-19, 10:59 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Someone needs to hook him up. He should have more than a picture. His passion is awesome. Interesting to hear him talk about the "advancements" that are ho hum by today's standards with the same giddiness that he probably had in 1988. I like his take on being proud of the Huffy name. If Huffy doesn't sell a billion Omnis and Sante Fes, they wouldn't have had the money to sponsor.

Last edited by sdn40; 07-13-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-13-19, 11:41 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
My History of 7-Eleven Bikes:

Diablo Scott's History of Team 7-Eleven Bikes
Old 07-14-19, 05:04 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Isn’t he like the Bob Uker of Professional cyclist?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-14-19, 10:23 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Isn’t he like the Bob Uker of Professional cyclist?
Bob Roll is a former pro who has completed the Tour de France in 1986 and 1990. He has served as a commentator on MSNBC with Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen. He often provides "color" commentary.
Old 07-14-19, 10:44 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Bob Roll is a former pro who has completed the Tour de France in 1986 and 1990. He has served as a commentator on MSNBC with Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen. He often provides "color" commentary.
Robert George Uecker is an American former Major League Baseball player and current sportscaster, comedian, and actor. Facetiously dubbed "Mr. Baseball" by TV talk show host Johnny Carson, Uecker has served as a play-by-play announcer for Milwaukee Brewers radio broadcasts since 1971 Wiki

I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-14-19, 11:32 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Scott I have owned two of the 1987 team bikes. Both were broken at the chain stay when I got them from a retired Huffy executive . I met him at the Statesville NC mountain bike museum , now closed.
I went there to buy some Raleigh TT team frames. He gave them to me if I promised not to sell them. I waited almost six months for them.to arrive. I gave one to the original rider and still have one.
They use to show up on ebay for $900-2000. I have not looked now in a long time. I have seen quite a few pictures that clamed to be 87-88 bikes but the paint is not quite correct.
.EddyR
Old 07-14-19, 11:42 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Robert George Uecker is an American former Major League Baseball player and current sportscaster, comedian, and actor. Facetiously dubbed "Mr. Baseball" by TV talk show host Johnny Carson, Uecker has served as a play-by-play announcer for Milwaukee Brewers radio broadcasts since 1971 Wiki

I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture.
<<< Brewer fan since birth. Listened to Uecker on an old clock radio in my youth when games were rarely on TV. His calls are legendary and he is beloved by fans and players alike.
Likes For sdn40:
Old 07-14-19, 11:47 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

^ I am not even a baseball fan I like him

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-14-19, 12:47 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
This brings back memories. Being from Dayton, Ohio home of "Huffy" reminds me of when I was a teenager and I did some racing with the Dayton Cycling Club and an offer was made by a club member to have our individual bikes painted at no charge since Huffy was a corporate sponsor. I ended up having my Puch Marco Polo touring bike painted. The color scheme that was used was a pearlescent white with red decals. The person that did the painting was an amateur and the paint was terrible. There were runs, orange peel and soft paint. Just terrible. The guy that facilitated this deal said his dad could do braze on bits and I asked him to put campy cable guides and down tube shifter bosses on my frame. Big mistake! This guy's dad had never brazed anything. They were crooked, had all kinds of solder drips all over the place and they broke off while under cable tension during a ride!
What a great (but sad) story. You had a perfectly good Puch and then it got all Huffied.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 07-14-19, 02:44 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I like that Bob Roll was respectful of his sponsor, Huffy, even after all these years, finding positive things to say about them. I've enjoyed listening to many (maybe all) of his Bobke TV bits on youtube. I don't know him, of course, but from his youtube stuff, I'd be honored to roll in the peleton with him. Him picking a classic, dare I say iconic, bicycle is just icing on the cake.
Old 07-14-19, 05:06 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
'87 was the pinnacle for many fans of vintage steel bikes. Thereafter, everything started going to ****.

But I still prefer non-aero levers. They simply look better.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-14-19, 05:54 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I like that Bob Roll was respectful of his sponsor, Huffy, even after all these years, finding positive things to say about them. I've enjoyed listening to many (maybe all) of his Bobke TV bits on youtube. I don't know him, of course, but from his youtube stuff, I'd be honored to roll in the peleton with him. Him picking a classic, dare I say iconic, bicycle is just icing on the cake.

Pretty good interview of Bobke this morning, on NBCSN, in the time slot just ahead of today's TdF stage. Bob's being very honest about how tough its going to be replacing Paul Sherwen in the booth. I'm hoping he makes the grade and sticks with Phil, and that NBC is smart enough to keep them both.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 07-14-19, 05:57 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Is it just me, or is Bobke starting to look like Bob Weir? Either way, I love this guy. He's a self-described "Caveman" on a bike, and his stories of the early days of Americans racing in Europe are priceless.
He's one of a kind, and pure plain-spoken class.
Likes For aeshultz: