Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Townie

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 10:48 AM
SunDvl

Bikes: Peugeot "Marseilles"and J.C. Higgins3-spd.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Townie

Been sometime since I have been here,could use some advise,please! My wife is deadset on a Townie she found
on Craigslist.It is a 26" 3i (3spd)?, hand brake. The bike looks almost new. I assume this is a entry level model.
Fellow is asking 350.worth it? Are the hubs sealed,need or do they need to be greased periodically.
Are there any known problems associated with these bikes. Any advise or opinions is most welcome
Old 10-17-17, 11:10 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
These "Townies" seem like the latest bike fad. Been seeing a lot of CL ads for them, and $350 sounds a little high, for what looks to me like a dept store 3 speed. As far as I'm concerned they're all "entry level". I have yet to see a "professional" townie for sale.

I think the biggest problem with these kind of bikes is that people get tired of them after a couple of weeks and stop riding them. So they wind up back on Craigslist. If you're fairly certain you could recoup that $350, it's a no-brainer to buy it, since you'll lose nothing. But I sure would not want to be the one to try to sell a used 3 speed for $350 on Craigslist, I would think it would sit there for months. Maybe a celebrity would buy it:

Old 10-17-17, 11:43 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SunDvl
Been sometime since I have been here,could use some advise,please! My wife is deadset on a Townie she found
on Craigslist.It is a 26" 3i (3spd)?, hand brake. The bike looks almost new. I assume this is a entry level model.
Fellow is asking 350.worth it? Are the hubs sealed,need or do they need to be greased periodically.
Are there any known problems associated with these bikes. Any advise or opinions is most welcome

Not enough information.

Brand?

Model?

Components?

Pictures?
Old 10-17-17, 11:44 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I assume it's an Electra Townie because of the "3i".
These sell new for upwards of $600 and Electras are well-built.
Would I pay $350? No, but I've let my wife pay $200 for a less desirable cruiser because she liked the color.
Old 10-17-17, 10:46 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
They are designed to be low maintenance bikes and are very easy to ride around town. They’re not long distance bikes or fitness bikes.

There are lots of accessories available for them and the bikes look good.

I have an 8i and love my Townie. It’s a big, heavy bike and very stable. It’s the most smiles-per-mile bike I’ve ever owned.
Old 10-21-17, 04:40 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$350 for a 3i townie sounds high to me, even if it had extras like fenders. Depends on your market though.

Note that while it has a front brake, the 3i I had had a rear coaster brake. My wife didn’t like that. We ended up selling it and getting her 7d. I have a 21d and have had at least one townie in the fleet for years.
Old 10-21-17, 11:55 PM
Norfolk Joe

Bikes: Electra Townie Balloon 8D EQ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A new Townie 3i "original" model is listed at $639. I paid over $700 for a 2017 fully equipped 8D "EQ" model (has lights and fenders plus Schwalbe Fat Frank tires), so $350 sounds good to me. The "3i" means it's a 3 speed internal gear hub which is much more expensive than a derailleur geared bike. If she likes it, I say go for it