Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Any dedicated Trikers?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Any dedicated Trikers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17, 10:48 PM
ORrecumbentEZ3

Bikes: Sun EZ Tri Classic, Tour Easy Classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any dedicated Trikers?

Hi all!

Just joined and had a few questions. I am a disabled vet and just purchased an EZ 3 Tri Classic trike to get some exercise and get out of the house. Actually just got it a couple months ago but, have yet to ride it. At almost 50yrs of age, I haven't been on a bike for ages and am procrastinating on doing it. Was also considering doing some local touring here in my rainy state of Oregon and was wondering if there are any dedicated trike riders who have experience in this area? If so, could you share some thoughts to help me get started? I.E. gear, is this actually feasible etc. Thanks in advance, TW
Old 12-04-17, 07:03 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
So, where along the coast do you live? Or are you referring to the current monsoon season?
Old 12-04-17, 01:29 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Just do it.

I imagine there has to be some paved bike trails near where you live. Try one of them. I'm betting the biggest problem you will encounter is the number of interested people who want to ask you about how it feels to ride your trike. You'll be fine.
Old 12-04-17, 03:12 PM
ORrecumbentEZ3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
So, where along the coast do you live? Or are you referring to the current monsoon season?
I don't live along the coast but, it's not far off as I live in the Willamette Valley. Corvallis to be exact and there are a lot of bikers here around the OSU campus.
Old 12-04-17, 03:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

I don't live there but I have a son in Albany. It's extremely dry during the summer but rainy in the winter. There are a few recumbent riders in the area, and they have both bikes and trikes. You can probably contact them through the local bike club.
https://sites.google.com/mvbc.com/web/home
Old 12-05-17, 05:14 PM
ORrecumbentEZ3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks BP. Albany is just a few miles up the road and I moved over here to Corvallis from there after 9.5yrs. I did join the Mid Valley Biking Club and am waiting for a response from the site admin.
Old 12-06-17, 08:07 PM
BlazingPedals

I've done a few rides with the -- I think it was a Wednesday -- ride group out of the aquatic center. Of the two guys I know, one has a Challenge Furai and an ICE trike, the other has a Gold Rush and a Catrike700. There is also a Cruzbike and a Bacchetta in the club.

If you make their acquaintance, say Hi for me. I'm hoping to get back there this summer for a week or so; maybe I can meet you while I'm there.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 12-07-17 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 09:36 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@ORrecumbentEZ3 - Hi and welcome. I’m up in the Portland metro area and have bought my first ever Recumbent (bike) in August.

There’s a site called: bentrideronline.com and the entire site is a recumbent site and they have a Forum too.

Get yourself some waterproof clothing (REI is good for basic rain pants), and find a big empty space like a parking lot and just practice getting on/off the trike, familiarize where the controls are and maybe go for a spin. It’s really so fun.

I’m still learning something each time I ride. Remember to have fun. There’s the Oregon Human Powered Vehicle Group. https://ohpv.org

Last edited by Velocivixen; 12-07-17 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-14-17, 01:27 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Hello, I don't have a recumbent at the moment but we had the EZ-1's and a EZ-Sport, one thing we got asap was a set of Power Grip Straps Power Grips so our feet would stay on the pedals and it really helps going "uphills", IF you don't have "Clip-in style shoes and pedals"!! Don't worry about how long you've been out of cycling with a rec. trike, you won't fall down, LOL!! Find local area "bike trails/paths" to start out on, then when you get comfortable, join your group and enjoy. There are a few recumbent clothing mfg'ers, here is one: Welcome to benditcycling.com - Evolve Your Ride. Hope this helps a bit. We hope to get a Recumbent Trike Tandem in the future to get back riding a recumbent!

Old 12-24-17, 08:52 PM
TrikeBirder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I ride recumbent trikes: TerraTrike Traveler w/24" rear wheel and Nuvinci 380 for her, And I've been riding a TerraTrike Rover i8 w/BBSHD electric assist. I hope to convert this to a tandem (it's designed to be able to do so) once I can locate a used Rover tandem section. And I have a 2016 Catrike 559 that is new to me.

Most of my rides are in and around Lansing & East Lansing. I frequently ride Lansing's River Trail and through MSU's campus. Occasionally I travel to ride.

Anyone else in mid-Michigan area?
Old 12-25-17, 09:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As I have posted many times, riding a trike is the easiest way there is to cycle. Just sit in, clip in, and start and stop as necessary. No tipping over, no unclipping and clipping in all the time. The view and relaxed riding is fantastic.

And maybe best of all cars seem to go out of their way to avoid you. Apparently most drivers think a trike is some sort of handicap device and certainly dont want to hit you.