Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Tubeless ready rims & sub-zero sealant

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 11:13 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Two kinda related questions:

What would you recommend as a cost-effective tubeless ready rim? I have Marge Lite rims (stock with my Pug). They offered many challenges to convert tubeless, I'd like to look at upgraded rims, but don't want to dumb a lot of money on them.

What sealant to you use for sub-zero (F) temps? My bike was out for 5 hours yesterday in temps between -5F and 0F, the sealant failed at the end of the day, leaving me walking a mile in -5F weather. My day was broken up into 3 rides: 7 miles to the race start, a 11-mile race, and most of 7 miles home. There was a break in between each ride, about 60 to 90 minutes.
Old 01-15-18, 08:25 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This is a good question because many of us ride our fat bikes only in the winter (that's why I bought mine).
Old 01-15-18, 12:04 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mulefüts aren't super cheap but are easy to setup tubeless. If you want reliable tubeless, and don't want to spend a lot of money Mulefüts are the first stop.

I have DT Swiss BR710. They require a bit more work to set up tubeless, but they have been trouble free for several thousand miles now. And they are significantly lighter than Mulefüts.

Surly has the Other Brother Darryl now, which are supposed to be tubeless. But will run you a few bucks more than Mulefüts.
If you have the money, Chinese carbon (Nextie, Lightcycles, etc...) are good for tubeless and light. But about $200 a rim last time I looked.

As for sealant, I've always used regular Stans. Did fine even on an 8 hour, subzero (temps down to about -15F at some point) ride. But, if your tire is seated properly the sealant shouldn't have to do anything unless you poke a hole in it.

Orange Seal has a subzero sealant now. And I think Stans does as well but I haven't tried it.
Old 01-15-18, 03:06 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by FrozenK
Mulefüts aren't super cheap but are easy to setup tubeless. If you want reliable tubeless, and don't want to spend a lot of money Mulefüts are the first stop.

I have DT Swiss BR710. They require a bit more work to set up tubeless, but they have been trouble free for several thousand miles now. And they are significantly lighter than Mulefüts.

Surly has the Other Brother Darryl now, which are supposed to be tubeless. But will run you a few bucks more than Mulefüts.
If you have the money, Chinese carbon (Nextie, Lightcycles, etc...) are good for tubeless and light. But about $200 a rim last time I looked.

As for sealant, I've always used regular Stans. Did fine even on an 8 hour, subzero (temps down to about -15F at some point) ride. But, if your tire is seated properly the sealant shouldn't have to do anything unless you poke a hole in it.

Orange Seal has a subzero sealant now. And I think Stans does as well but I haven't tried it.
Thanks for the detailed info!

My issue seems to be the Marge Lite rim holes. When I converted to tubeless, I worked with my LBS, we taped the rims with a 3M exterior tape. The leak that left me walking on Saturday looks like it was the rim tape. The front wheel is doing great, but the rear has left me walking twice in a month.

I expect a new set of tubeless ready rims would resolve these issues.
Old 01-15-18, 03:42 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Thanks for the detailed info!

My issue seems to be the Marge Lite rim holes. When I converted to tubeless, I worked with my LBS, we taped the rims with a 3M exterior tape. The leak that left me walking on Saturday looks like it was the rim tape. The front wheel is doing great, but the rear has left me walking twice in a month.

I expect a new set of tubeless ready rims would resolve these issues.
Try Gorilla tape (clear is lighter), red stucco tape, Sun Mulefut or the Orange Seal 75mm rim tape. That may solve your problem if the issue is leaky tape. Usually, once the sealant gets between the tape and the rim the adhesive is ruined and you have to re-tape.

And there is such a thing as Stans rim tape in 75mm width. But it is difficult to find.
Old 01-16-18, 10:45 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I use jackalope 80 mm rims, fabo results. Seals with a 25 mm rim tape, the spokes are centered. No issues. Carry a backup tube?
Old 01-16-18, 12:47 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I use jackalope 80 mm rims, fabo results. Seals with a 25 mm rim tape, the spokes are centered. No issues. Carry a backup tube?
Those can be hard to find as a rim only. But yes, great option for tubeless.
Old 01-16-18, 12:51 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Leebo
Yes, I do have a backup tube, but Saturday night was -5F and I was about a mile from home, so no good reason to stop and freeze while installing the tube.

After I got home, I put the bike in the basement, added air the next morning, and it sealed up just fine and held the air for the last couple days including some rides.
Old 01-17-18, 08:51 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I have the Mulefüts but I'm running a tube. I used to carry a spare tube with me until I needed to change the rim tape. Gah! I spent over an hour just breaking the bead off the rim of the first tire! I practically had to stand on it to get it loose. I was almost sure I was going to break something. I've changed tires on a '75 BMW and a '67 Norton and it was easier! After that I quit carrying the tube because there was no way I was changing that in the field -- especially in the winter. When it's time for a new set of tires I may go tubeless but I'm not taking those tires off again until I have to.