Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help me find the right bike or kit

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 11-26-17, 07:02 PM
nasabiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

at this point i am feeling overwhelmed let me start with my ride
17.4 miles with 1406 feet of elevation gain to work and well opposite back haha!
i weigh 240, would prefer pedal assist i want to work for it but keep my time to an hour time frame.
i would like a set up that would get me there and back with out killing the battery totally. and also the ability to get new battery later on. i could possible charge at work but may be a issue if it can be a fire hazzard.
any suggestions or am i barking up the wrong tree help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-17, 07:42 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
For your purposes I think a mid-drive BBSO2 kit would work if you already have a bike you like. Check out lunacycle.com/motors/mid-drive

There's lots of links to read there about what it does and how to install. Also have a poke around the built bikes they sell..they do nice work. Good luck!
Old 11-26-17, 08:05 PM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i am looking at the site right now!
i have the BBSO2 in my cart right now, really interested in the 52v flat fish 21ah battery and if it will work with the motor/controller.
Old 11-26-17, 08:19 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Originally Posted by nasabiker
i am looking at the site right now!
i have the BBSO2 in my cart right now, really interested in the 52v flat fish 21ah battery and if it will work with the motor/controller.
Yes, it's compatible with the BBSO2 750W motor they sell, but call them to make sure the connectors will work together since it's not listed as an option in the 'conmplete kit' listing.

Rack batteries kinda suck, though..that's a whole lotta weight hanging high off the back end. If you have room on the downtube (or under it), the 52v shark battery option would be great.
Old 11-26-17, 08:28 PM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i like the down tube mount but im greedy for the extended range and ez replacement of the rack mounted batteries
Old 11-27-17, 01:00 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
17.4 miles... my assist cuts out at 20 mph - so, to keep it under an hour you're pushing it on a 20 mph assist bike. 1400 feet of elevation gain at 240 lbs plus bike and gear... I think my battery would die or be nearly dead... you'll need to charge at work. I have a 350 watt Bionx direct drive rear hub motor. Really nice, but not as efficient as a mid drive for climbing.
Old 11-27-17, 03:16 AM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by InTheRain
17.4 miles... my assist cuts out at 20 mph - so, to keep it under an hour you're pushing it on a 20 mph assist bike. 1400 feet of elevation gain at 240 lbs plus bike and gear... I think my battery would die or be nearly dead... you'll need to charge at work. I have a 350 watt Bionx direct drive rear hub motor. Really nice, but not as efficient as a mid drive for climbing.
The BBS02 he's looking at is not limited to 20mph, he'll be making crazy good time getting to work. You're right about charging at work..that battery *might* make it there and back, but I wouldn't want to count on it.
Old 11-27-17, 06:35 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im thinking id like to keep my average speed to 18mph . the time home isnt as big a deal in just do want ton have to wake up at 4am to be at work on time.. Trip home id prefer to get more of a work out.
I wantes to post the climbing profile of the trip. The 1400 feet isnt steep hills for the most part. Just on good hill on each end and some rolling hills in between.
Old 11-27-17, 07:37 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul, AKA "Cellman", at EM3EV.COM sells the same kit, with better quality batteries, (more on that later), at competitive pricing. He has been in business a lot longer, and has much better customer service. You have not heard his name as much as he does not employ paid shills to pimp his products all over the internet. This is a well-known tactic of Luna.

You will need to charge at work in order to avoid draining your battery dangerously low, that is where a well-made, high-quality battery becomes important. Comparative teardowns show conclusively that Paul's batteries are indeed of better quality than most others, specifically Luna's.

If you have a problem, Paul will bend over backwards to get it resolved, and there are several documented instances of this. Eric Hicks of Luna will call you a liar and insist that you never purchased anything from him, then demand you delete all public mention of the problem before providing warranty support. There are many documented instances of this.

He has also been involved in knowingly selling defective products, and has twice placed a large cash bounty on personally identifying information for those posting the truth about his operations, a criminal act in the US. I am one of those persons.

You should also be aware that the use of a mid-drive poses a strain on drivetrain components far beyond what they were designed for. Chains and gearsets will require much more frequent replacement. May be the best choice for your needs, but a possible alternative, such as a hub motor, should be investigated.

You should be aware that every single new user gets the exact same recommendation that you did, a Luna mid-drive. Not one single time have any of the Luna folks recommended the Xiongda 2-speed. Would you like to know why, as, by specification, this kit would, theoretically, come close to matching your needs? They won't tell you, but I will.
Old 11-27-17, 09:01 AM
Joe Remi

That's pretty histrionic stuff, Nelson. I would appreciate you not implying that I'm a paid shill for some company, or that I should have recommended a 2-speed hub I haven't used. I offered advice based on stuff I've used, which you are also free to do. Maybe just tell the guy what you think he needs without all the axe-grinding, eh?
Old 11-27-17, 11:00 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My statements are based on 6 years of research, thousands of pages of reading, and multiple conversations with current and former Luna employees, customers, other vendors, as well as numerous experienced and knowledgeable users.

I do take note of the fact that Joe Remi is one of the very few who did NOT recommend a Luna mid-drive to Mike in the flatlands of Florida, who has no hills to climb.

Tell me, Joe, do you not find it odd that Every Single New User is recommended a Bafang mid-drive, with no mention of other makers of very similar drives, and pointed to Luna, despite their being numerous other vendors for the same drive, including to users on flat-ground with no need for hill-climbing, and that the required additional maintenance on drivetrains is almost never mentioned?

Geared or Direct Drive hubs are rarely recommended.

The reference to the Xiongda 2-speed (which Luna sells) is in reference to it's history of a very high breakage rate, which Eric first denied then insisted it had been solved, with no mention of, or knowledge about, how this had been done. There have been efforts from the factory on the issue, however it is unknown whether a real solution has been achieved. The analysis of this motors defects, and my public and repeated insistence on pointing to the undeniable evidence, is the reason that Erick Hicks, owner of Luna, put a price on my head.
Old 11-27-17, 11:07 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Okay guys, calm it down please.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-27-17, 12:02 PM
Joe Remi

I have no opinion on what other users have recommended here..I only visit this part of Bike Forums intermittently. I'm sure Paul is a swell guy, but I just visited that website and it needs work. I did a mock run through ordering a BBSHD kit and it kept telling me to pick more options before I could click through. I gave up.
Old 11-30-17, 11:56 PM
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a Hill Topper. I thought their prices for the front hub motor and the battery were better than Luna or other local options.
https://www.electric-bike-kit.com/hill-topper.aspx
Can't beat the simplicity!
I haven't put it together yet (I bought the pro kit and I need to build the wheel).
Old 12-11-17, 12:00 PM
Mark Mandolin

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First let me say I live in hilly country and my direct drive hub works fine no issues so don't think a geared drive hub or crank drive is needed for hills and the regenerative braking increases your range 5 to 10% while reducing wear on your mechanical brakes so it's a good deal. I recently put a 1000 w Crystalite motor with 52 volt Hailong
Downtube battery I mounted on a rear rack. All on a very basic Next steel frame mountain bike with low end components. The controller and cycle analyst control screen are made here in Vancouver Canada by Grin Industries. I wanted direct drive for speed and regenerative brakes. The bike has v-brakes that work fine in rain. I installed Elevenz bmx bars tallest made for comfort and ability to fully stand when riding over bumps. No suspension but 2.4" rear tire 3/32" clearance between frame and tire bu t big tire smoothes out bumps. Fastest was 70 kph or around 40 mph down a hill bike felt fine.
I bought every thing from Grin Industries mainly because they are local and I could buy face to face and all components right for each other. You should check their website as they have a lot of good info for the newbie not just a sales brochure

Grin News

I have no problem going up steep hills. One hill so steep and long I would walk bike up hill on Ebike maintain 20 kph speed with pedal assist. The weight of battery and motor adds 20+ pounds over rear axle but bike handles just like it did without motor. Maybe since I'm 230 lb my weight offsets affect of extra weight as pundits don't recommend this set up. I get 55 kph on flat ground and about 35 km range doing 40-50 kph.
The cycle analyst lets you program limits and stores data. The people at Grin very nice and looked after me. However I wasn't interested in finding a deal in China but getting the components that would work well for what I want. The hub motor has been injected with oil for better cooling and has a built in thermometer and if I get a 72 volt battery can hook thermometer to Cycle analyst and run at super high speed and as temperature rises an app automatically backs off current so you could have short bursts of speed if needed. There is no right or wrong answer to what equipment to buy as each individual has different wants and needs and regulations and enforcement differ with location. Happy riding.

Last edited by Mark Mandolin; 12-11-17 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 09:12 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just to follow up, I decided to order the hilltopper horizon folding bike. I weighed cost, ability to do my own maintenance, bike specs, and simplicity of the system. I debated ALOT and ended up with the clean republic. set to arrive in about 10 days. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes
Old 01-19-18, 12:19 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keep us posted on how it works out for you. I opted for a Stromer ST01 7K miles back or so. I've been very happy. I've confronted some knarly hills, and the rear hub drive has done quite well. The overall engineering, not just the motor makes a world of difference in usability (in my limited experience).