Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rain Cape Musings...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rain Cape Musings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 08:40 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I wore a cape once. It nearly killed me by acting as a sail and trying to throw me in front of traffic numerous times. About halfway through the ride I took it off and just got wet.

Maybe it's just because I've got a lot of crosswind, combined with 60 MPH traffic and no shoulders, so traffic is going by me about 2 feet away. I have little margin for error. Even my normal rain jacket requires heavy concentration to hold a line in the wind.
Old 05-11-17, 08:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Okay here it is with the nylon ribbon for straps. this is as far as it goes. If I like it and feel the need for a rain cape I will buy one. I can now see the advantage of a conical shape when it comes to avoiding billowing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14945139692180.jpg (96.4 KB, 249 views)
Old 05-11-17, 08:58 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
That's clever, I'm going to do that too. Reminds me of a thing I saw once for ladies to be able to ride a bike in a long, loose skirt: you just wrap the hem around a penny in a couple places, secure it with a rubber band.

This method is simple enough even to just do on the fly.
Old 05-11-17, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FWIW, because the Material used in the RBW -Grundens Cycle cape is heavier it is less subject to wind flapping.

At my typically Modest rate of Speed.. When the winter storms blow in, I add rain pants..
Old 05-11-17, 10:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
What if you can't get drenched though? What if you're going to meet up friends for dinner? Or a movie? Right now, I simply don't ride in the rain, but would like to come up with a solution that would allow me to ride in light to moderate rain. Seems like there are tradeoffs for all options.

I was at Ikea recently and considered their poncho--the price is certainly right. But it felt hot and non-breathable while I was just standing there and I was afraid it was going to be sauna while riding.
The more you ride in the rain, the more tolerable it becomes. You end up coming up with a bunch of tricks, each tailored to the situation.

When heading out into the rain or into a chance of rain, you have to estimate how heavy it will be and how long you'll be in it. Consider the temperature. If it's not too cold, you want to wear as little as possible. Clothing made of wool or synthetic can help, as those materials tend not to lose their warming properties as much as cotton does. Wet cotton makes you cold. If you are warm (from exercise) and are wearing wool and the wool gets wet, there is a chance you'll stay warm. But that depends on how wet, how fast you're going, how strong the wind is, etc.

Sometimes it's better not to ride, especially if you have an alternative. If it's raining very hard and it's a 30 minute ride, you'll get soaked. If you're meeting friends for dinner, it will make dinner less enjoyable. But that's an extreme example.

Sometimes the forecast tells me there's a chance of showers and I head out and I get lucky. It's hard to know when the showers come and how long they'll last. I've been rewarded for taking chances occasionally.

I happen to have a warm body type. I can tolerate wearing cold, wet clothes more than some other people can. Everyone's tolerance is different. It may take some experimentation to determine how tolerant you are, and you can push your tolerance to a degree, if you're interested. Sometimes riding in the rain is unpleasant, but it reminds me of that bumper sticker that says a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Sometimes a bad ride on the bike is better than a good drive in a car.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-17, 10:16 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
This method is simple enough even to just do on the fly.
If my fly needs to be jury rigged during a ride, I just buy new shorts.
Old 05-11-17, 10:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
ha ha

Old 05-11-17, 11:28 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The more you ride in the rain, the more tolerable it becomes. You end up coming up with a bunch of tricks, each tailored to the situation.

When heading out into the rain or into a chance of rain, you have to estimate how heavy it will be and how long you'll be in it. Consider the temperature. If it's not too cold, you want to wear as little as possible. Clothing made of wool or synthetic can help, as those materials tend not to lose their warming properties as much as cotton does. Wet cotton makes you cold. If you are warm (from exercise) and are wearing wool and the wool gets wet, there is a chance you'll stay warm. But that depends on how wet, how fast you're going, how strong the wind is, etc.

Sometimes it's better not to ride, especially if you have an alternative. If it's raining very hard and it's a 30 minute ride, you'll get soaked. If you're meeting friends for dinner, it will make dinner less enjoyable. But that's an extreme example.

Sometimes the forecast tells me there's a chance of showers and I head out and I get lucky. It's hard to know when the showers come and how long they'll last. I've been rewarded for taking chances occasionally.

I happen to have a warm body type. I can tolerate wearing cold, wet clothes more than some other people can. Everyone's tolerance is different. It may take some experimentation to determine how tolerant you are, and you can push your tolerance to a degree, if you're interested. Sometimes riding in the rain is unpleasant, but it reminds me of that bumper sticker that says a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Sometimes a bad ride on the bike is better than a good drive in a car.
Appreciate all that but it's not really about tolerating cold and being soaked, but simply I don't want to show up for dinner at a restaurant with dripping hair and clothes and creating a puddle around me as I'm having a meal with friends. I don't ride now if it's raining but would like to consider rain gear options as I do not have a car and use my bike for transportation. Now, if it's raining, I walk/public transportation/taxi it. Just would like to add the bike option in there.
Old 05-11-17, 11:44 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Well, rain gear doesn't keep you dry absolutely. It mitigates the rain, so how dry you stay is a function of how hard it's raining and how long you're out in it. If you must stay dry, stay off the bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-17, 12:44 PM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakcloud
When I start commuting again by bike, this is what I am going to replace my Shower Pass rain jacket with Cleverhood

It is pricey but I paid this for my Shower Pass Elite 2.1 which I find adequate at best.
+1

I picked up a Cleverhood a few years ago at the Seattle bike show and it was a good purchase. I typically use it for short trips though. I tried using it for commuting a couple of times in the rain and it did fine. The thumb loops are the saving grace on the inside to keep the cap down. The only think I don't like is if it's raining hard, the water builds into a mini lake so you have to shake it off every so often. My commute is 6 miles each way.
Old 05-11-17, 12:47 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Sometimes it's better not to ride...
For years my rule has been if most cars have their wipers on high get off the road and wait it out until the rain lets up a bit. I figure that side and rear views will be compromised enough that drivers may not be able to see me or if thay can, judge my position, especially out the side and rear windeows of their cars.
Old 05-11-17, 07:04 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I use a home made cape similar to this, but a bit longer:

In my experience it keeps me dry (not my feet in really strong wind and rain) and I don't have problems with the wind. It's made of a fairly heavy material, maybe that's the cause.
Old 05-11-17, 09:13 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
This is a cool thread and I'm interested by the cape concept, although the notion of partial protection from the elements is unappealing to me, as is "waiting out" the harsher weather. I could see combining the cape with waterproof/breathable zippered pants (like Shower's Pass) and water-resistant shoe wraps.

I would like to see so-called hi-vis material and 3M style reflective tape integrated into the cape designs - the Cleverhood is oh-so-hip (and objectively attractive), but I'd like to see an industrial-strength version for my urban everyday commuting.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 05-12-17 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 09:25 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
This is a cool thread and I'm interested by the cape concept, although the notion of partial protection from the elements is unappealing to me, as is "waiting out" the harsher weather. I could see combining the cape with waterproof/breathable zippered pants (like Shower's Pass) and water-resistant show wraps.

I would like to see so-called hi-vis material and 3M style reflective tape integrated into the cape designs - the Cleverhood is oh-so-hip, but I'd like to see an industrial-strength version for my urban everyday commuting.
With a good cape (one that is attached to hands to cover all the way to the handlebars), all you need are quality hiking boots. Perhaps not even them with really good mudguards. The trousers will stay dry. Even in the worst down poor.

I prefer fast drying to 100% waterproof clothes for cycling - though I do sweat a lot.
Old 05-12-17, 04:52 AM
Archwhorides 

Originally Posted by Slaninar
With a good cape (one that is attached to hands to cover all the way to the handlebars), all you need are quality hiking boots. Perhaps not even them with really good mudguards. The trousers will stay dry. Even in the worst down poor.

I prefer fast drying to 100% waterproof clothes for cycling - though I do sweat a lot.
There are two factors in my commutes that make me want to wear waterproof pants and shoes, even though I ride with full mudguards:

- A lot of my wettest commuting days are in 30s to 40s F weather in March-May, which become quite hypothermic with wet skin. I can't afford to ride for an hour like that.
- My urban streets are heavily trafficked, with poor drainage in places - moisture is coming from all around!

So I'm not ready to give up my waterproof bottom, but an industrial commuting cape is still very appealing.
-
Old 05-12-17, 06:34 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I'd like to see an industrial-strength version for my urban everyday commuting.
I've used Carradice for decades, traditional high quality kit.
Check out the spats instead of rain-pants for well proven Brit-style.

Bicycle Rainwear | Carradice of Nelson

-Bandera
Old 05-12-17, 07:09 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
There are two factors in my commutes that make me want to wear waterproof pants and shoes, even though I ride with full mudguards:

- A lot of my wettest commuting days are in 30s to 40s F weather in March-May, which become quite hypothermic with wet skin. I can't afford to ride for an hour like that.
- My urban streets are heavily trafficked, with poor drainage in places - moisture is coming from all around!

So I'm not ready to give up my waterproof bottom, but an industrial commuting cape is still very appealing.
-
Just giving one perspective: I'm rarely cold when my trousers are wet, as long as the jacket and boots do their job. Though my commute was about 40 minutes one way. Anything over 20 minutes ends up just as wet for me - whether from rain, or from sweat - so given that choice I prefer rain. Though I'm rarely cold ever, so take my experience with a grain of salt, but do make a test before buying - on a day off, staying within 15 minutes away from home radius, so you can get warm quickly in case my recipe doesn't work for you.
Old 05-12-17, 08:25 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I still get wet feet. Even with a really good mudguard. Enough water splashes up and to the side of the front wheel, then my shoes run into the splash. I'd have to have a 2 foot wide mudguard to knock it all down before it hit my shoes and the bottom of my legs.
Old 05-12-17, 08:30 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I still get wet feet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D151X6A/

They will wear out after a few months of use, and the water resistance is a bit odd; the outsides will get soaked, but I guess there's an inner waterproof layer because my feet still stay dry. Worth it to replace them a couple times in a really rainy year or once in a normal one at $15.
Old 05-13-17, 08:00 AM
Archwhorides 

Originally Posted by Bandera
I've used Carradice for decades, traditional high quality kit.
Check out the spats instead of rain-pants for well proven Brit-style.

Bicycle Rainwear | Carradice of Nelson

-Bandera
The spats are cool..... there are a few New England Carradice dealers, but there is a very good on-line dealer in Phoenix called the British Bicycle Company and just I ordered the Pro-Route cape and spats from for my summer rainy-day riding. Thanks for the tip @Bandera!

Last edited by Archwhorides; 05-13-17 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-19-17, 12:59 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I am also looking for a cape/poncho. I am riding very upright, it is mainly flat here and normally not very windy. And especially with the high humidity we are having here in the south I prefer cape vs a jacket. I won't need it often but when it rains here in Texas it pours. Several inches in a short time are not rare.
I won't need it much in cold weather but mainly around spring and early summer where we get most of our downpours and where the temperatures can already be in the 80 and 90s. E.g. today: Heavy downpour in the morning. Temps now close to 90s with 65% humidity.
I have read good reviews about the Carradice Duxback but I am not sure if the cotton would be too warm for our climate. How about Cleverhood in warmer climates?
Any recommendations for a light cape/poncho for a tall guy (6'4")?

Thanks for any advice
Old 07-02-17, 06:20 PM
Whynot1999

Bikes: 1976 Japanese Schwinn Traveler (III), 1980s Pegeot(?) french road bike,

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
J&G's cape is out of stock (I think...the wording was confusing) and so is the large version of grunde's rain cape...I'm getting a little frustrated with manufactorers advertising things that aren't available. Can anyone say how the Carradice products compare to the Grundel cape? I really wanted the grundel cape.
Old 02-11-18, 08:19 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Here's a Burley cape from the '80s that I just found in my bunch of stuff. I really could have used it during my TransAm attempt in '16 when it rained every goddam day for the month we were out. No hood, but with my helmet cover it would do nicely. This one has straps and pockets to fit over the brake levers. I'm letting it air out and de-wrinkle after a decade or so hidden in its stuff sack. Last used in Seattle.

Burley.JPG

I've also toured and commuted and relied on a poncho and fenders. Face it, you will get wet but the goal is to minimize the soak while maintaining some degree of comfort and control of the bike. A poncho tends to blow when you least need it. I considered cutting down the rectangular Stearns poncho from Walmart that I wore last tour but will use the cape from now on if it works as well as I remember.
Old 02-11-18, 10:56 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Rivendell sells a rain poncho that looks like a great deal now that the price has dropped to $75 (although sold out in Large). It's got thumb loops and a waist strap.

I have an Ikea poncho that is pretty nice, especially for the price. I sit on the back hem so it doesn't flap around, and I hold the front hem on my handlebars, so my computer and light are still out in the open. It works really well, all the open space on the bottom allows for plenty of ventilation. It's pretty lightweight, packs into itself pretty small, and the fabric seems like it's not going to just shred like a single-use amusement-park emergency poncho made of saran wrap.

I just need to figure out how to attach some thumb-loops. That would be a LOT easier than holding it in my grip on the bars, because hands need to move around, and you don't want to have to keep hold of the edge of the poncho the whole time.
just asked my gf to modify my ikea poncho in the fashion you described. its great in the rain except for holding on to it.
Old 02-11-18, 10:58 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
just asked my gf to modify my ikea poncho in the fashion you described. its great in the rain except for holding on to it.
While your "tailor" is working ask to add a simple waist-strap as well, might as well do it the traditional way.

-Bandera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.