Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Is My Bike Too Old?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Is My Bike Too Old?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 02:20 AM
eriks4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is My Bike Too Old?

So, I am 14 and currently, have a 2009 Trance 1 with some new parts, they include: New bars, wheels, and tires (also some other things here and there like a new seat, grips etc.) I think of myself as a pretty advanced rider, riding double black diamond trails with 4 meter+ gap jumps and 1.5ish meter drops. Lately, I have been worried if my frame is going to break. I ride pretty fast and gnarly and often huck drops and jumps further than they were intended to be (sometimes to flat) (i am known as Mr Huck locally). I have only been riding since September 2016 but I have been worried about the condition of my frame and whether or not it is going to get cracked or damaged badly. I am not so concerned about my bike because I can still progress further on it but am a little worried about my safety. Any thoughts about what I should do? (except take it easy)
Old 06-06-17, 05:56 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
The age of the bike isn't an issue. The Trance is a great trail bike. What would concern me is that you're riding the Trance probably harder than it was designed to be ridden. The Giant Reign would seem more appropriate for your riding style. OTOH, any frame can collapse if you land a jump badly. Do you have body armor? Full-face helmet? Those sort of things?
Old 06-06-17, 12:22 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
The age of the bike isn't an issue. The Trance is a great trail bike. What would concern me is that you're riding the Trance probably harder than it was designed to be ridden. The Giant Reign would seem more appropriate for your riding style. OTOH, any frame can collapse if you land a jump badly. Do you have body armor? Full-face helmet? Those sort of things?
Great advice from Jonathan--esp. about the safety gear. Are you bottoming out your suspension? If so, that means the frame is taking more beating than it should. You could get launched as a result of that.
Old 06-06-17, 03:07 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The most common frame failures are at the welds, especially around the bottom bracket. Rear triangle failures tend to cause the bike to be un-rideable but don't typically result in major crashes. Issues around the head-tube are different (think fork breaking off). If there's any cracks around the head-tube, retire the frame immediately.

Inspect the frame welds carefully, look for cracked paint at the weld joints, that would be an indication of an underlying crack. If the welds are all in good shape, the frame should have some more life left.
Old 06-07-17, 12:11 AM
eriks4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks, great to know! Most of the time I do ride with a full face, gloves, goggles and some light knee pads but I am thinking of getting some more downhill orientated ones though.
Old 06-07-17, 12:15 AM
eriks4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha yes, ironically I have been wanting to get rear shock bottomless tokens for a long time, but last time I went to a bike shop and got my rear shock looked at, the shop said that I should get another shock soon. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-07-17, 12:19 AM
eriks4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
The most common frame failures are at the welds, especially around the bottom bracket. Rear triangle failures tend to cause the bike to be un-rideable but don't typically result in major crashes. Issues around the head-tube are different (think fork breaking off). If there's any cracks around the head-tube, retire the frame immediately.

Inspect the frame welds carefully, look for cracked paint at the weld joints, that would be an indication of an underlying crack. If the welds are all in good shape, the frame should have some more life left.
Ok, thanks for the advice! I will give my bike a clean and then inspect the welds
Old 06-07-17, 05:55 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by eriks4500
Ok thanks, great to know! Most of the time I do ride with a full face, gloves, goggles and some light knee pads but I am thinking of getting some more downhill orientated ones though.
That's good! The reason I brought up protective gear is that any frame could snap, right? So it pays to think about that possibility, and to wear some gear to mitigate the damage to yourself should something go wrong. In other words, don't depend upon just the bike. Wear some gear in case the bike fails you.

I've an acquaintance who rides a motorized dirt bike. He wears a compression vest and other gear to go along w/it in case he loses control and crashes. He's pretty well padded and protected when on his bike.
Old 06-22-17, 07:58 AM
erik678

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes can never be to old
Old 06-23-17, 11:57 PM
jonstifler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Age is not an issue as long as it is maintained very well
Old 06-24-17, 07:44 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
So, I am 14 and currently, have a 2009 Trance 1 with some new parts, they include: New bars, wheels, and tires (also some other things here and there like a new seat, grips etc.) I think of myself as a pretty advanced rider, riding double black diamond trails with 4 meter+ gap jumps and 1.5ish meter drops. Lately, I have been worried if my frame is going to break. I ride pretty fast and gnarly and often huck drops and jumps further than they were intended to be (sometimes to flat) (i am known as Mr Huck locally). I have only been riding since September 2016 but I have been worried about the condition of my frame and whether or not it is going to get cracked or damaged badly. I am not so concerned about my bike because I can still progress further on it but am a little worried about my safety. Any thoughts about what I should do? (except take it easy)
To be honest, this bike was not made for the riding you describe even when brand new. Especially if these 1.5 meter drops are to flat.

I am sure the Trance can handle this stuff on occassion, but if it is what you do regularly, you are likely to break something.
Old 06-24-17, 08:04 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
....... I ride pretty fast and gnarly and often huck drops and jumps further than they were intended to be (sometimes to flat) (i am known as Mr Huck locally). I have only been riding since September 2016 ......... a little worried about my safety. Any thoughts about what I should do? (except take it easy)
Nope. Other than take it easier... no advice at all... (because that is the only decent advice). Old cyclist have lots of stories about cyclists that no longer ride because of serious injuries. Eight months of experience is nothing. Mr Huck is on his way to injured and on the sidelines.
Old 02-01-18, 11:51 PM
JLevera

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age doesnt matter man.
Old 02-02-18, 02:01 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Pushing the bike too far? Not good if it is not built for that. Inspect regularly, welds and wheels. All bikes can break, ride so you are not injured.
Old 02-05-18, 08:49 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
call your local bike shop and get some advice
Old 02-14-18, 11:30 PM
mdouthit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get an advise from an expert personally. we cannot judge your bike via online.