Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Sebring 2018

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 11:22 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Sebring 2018

Short Version: I raced at Sebring, didn’t do any good, didn’t expect to, but had fun and learned how it all works. And the guy in the velomobile did awesome.

Long Version:
I’ve heard about the race at Sebring for years, and it seems most of the people I ride with have been out there at one time or another, so I finally made it out there in 2018. I knew it was a fairly high-profile and competitive race, my results on less-competitive races have been indifferent, so I opted to fly out with my Bike Friday, and figured to optimize the fun at the expense of a little performance.

I flew into Orlando, got a rent car, and headed down. The host motel on the track at Sebring was already booked up when I signed up for the race, so I stayed at the Econolodge in Avon Park, about 20 minutes north of the track. And it was a bunch cheaper than the options farther south, too. I circled down through Sebring, found there was actually a bike shop there (Legacy Bicycles,2812 Kenilworth Blvd, Sebring), picked up some chain lube, and headed back to the motel and put the bike together. And discovered my speedometer was dead, even with a new battery. So back to the bike shop for a new speedometer,then went to the host motel to get checked in and pick up my stuff. I ran across Mike, a rider formerly from this area, picked up my packet, looked around a little bit, went out and drove the11-mile loop, and back to the motel. Got the speedometer hooked up, made a supply trip to Walmart, and I was set.

At the check-in, I got my timing chips. A disposable paper-type one that went on the seatpost or equivalent spot, plus an ankle-strap re-usable chip. I think just two separate systems, belt-and-suspender style. I appreciate that. On the previous race I did, they missed one of my laps (that got corrected, but still irked me, and likely cost me an age-group placement.) On the paper timing chips, all were white except the 24-hour-non-drafting class had yellow ones, so you’d know not to draft them. I also got my poker chip with my number on it, to be tossed in the bucket at the turn-around as proof of passage.

I got down dark and early for the race, and had plenty of time. I parked near a streetlight up by thebathroom, basically “pit row” for the first 11 hours of the race. At the appointed time, I circled down to the start point, and watched as the crowd gathered. There were two velomobiles there, and, being kind of a novelty to me, I thought that was pretty neat. Lots of people in time-trial rigs and Zipp wheels, and there I was on my Bike Friday,so I felt a bit out of place, but knew it would be like that, too. The 12-hour, the 24-hour, and the 100-mile all start at the same time.

A few minutes of pre-ride announcements, and we were off. They had a pace car at the front, and we all headed back up towards the race track to start with three laps around it for 11 miles. One thing I was worried about was finding the exit from the track. That turned out not to be an issue. The fast people were fast all right, but not everyone was fast, and we were all strung out, and after three laps, I was still within sight of people ahead of me (riding 19 mph or so), and they had people there waving you off at the right spot anyway. So then it was off to the 45-mile out andback.

By the way, the race track is reasonably smooth, but not perfect. There are some joints in it, and most of them wouldn’t be a problem on a bike, but there is the potential to catch a bad spot wrong, so be aware. We started in the dark, they don’t require lights, and it’s daylight when you finish the 3 laps. But lights would still be handy to see that pavement surface, and are recommended.

Heading out for the out-and-back, we went right by the pit area, I didn’t need to stop,but could have if needed, and some people did. I got out to the road, and oops, for the life of me, I couldn’t remember if I was supposed to follow green or orange arrows. Just then, two guys came up behind me, and solved my problem for me! So pay attention!

I had in my mind that it was 45 miles to the turn-around, but that’s 45 miles after you do the three laps, so at 56 miles or so. There are some stores in the first 20 miles or so, then no supplies until the turn-around.

Anyway,we all go cranking out there fast and furious. The morning was foggy, and that fog gradually lifted. The route isn’t really hilly, but has some minor ups and downs. With the fog, I couldn’t tell if I was going up or down, except at times, I’d be going 20 mph and other times, 14 mph, so I deduced there were slight hills involved. A lot of the scenery was orange groves. The out-and-back was marked with orange arrows on the pavement, but other riders were usually visible, too.

A few miles out, a recumbent pulled up behind me and followed along for a while,then pulled up beside me. The rider had a Schlitter bike and jersey. I asked his name, and he turned out to be a Facebook friend that I hadn’t met in real life,so that was kind of neat. After a while,he headed on to join a group ahead of us.

At about the 43 mile mark, I met the yellow velomobile headed back in, so he was at about the 69 mile mark by then. And I was averaging around 18 mph. A couple of miles after that, I met 4 recumbents and one upright rider on a time-trial rig (I think that was the Cruzbike contingent doing the 100 mile race, maybe). Another mile or so, and I met a group of 4 time-trial bikes and one recumbent. After that, a steady stream of riders, some solo, some in groups. The second velomobile was maybe 20 riders back. I finally reached the turn-around, tossed my poker chip in the bucket. They had food and drink there (PB&J, bananas, Heed, Gatorade, Water), and I ate a PB&J and a banana or two and started back. I then got to meet the slower riders. The last one was when I was at mile 68, so they were at mile 44 at the time. Quite a spread!

There had been zero wind at the ride start, and I hadn’t ever noticed any tailwind while coming out, but we definitely had a headwind on the way back in. So instead of cruising at 18 mph, I wound up grinding along at 13 or 14 mph in a number of places. And the fog was gone and the sun was up, too,with blue sky and scattered fluffy white clouds. Nice shirt-sleeve temperatures all day,coolish at the start, warmish at the finish. The route back in didn’t go by any of the stores, but they did have a rest stop set up at Mile 81 or so, and I stopped there for Gatorade and another banana, then on back in. I was mostly riding solo on the way in. I had one guy catch me, with full disc wheel/time trial setup. It doesn’t amaze me to get passed, but it amazes me how some of these guys ever wind up behind me in the first place. But this guy said hello as he went by, and mentioned that he had started late, thus his late progress. Mystery solved!

Finally,I got back to the track. You head up by pit row there, go past the timing pad, then out past pit row again to start the next loop. And it was time to start the 11-mile loops. I made a good stop at my car for food, then took on off. Made one loop, stopped again, and after that, stopped every other loop.

I did not realize they would have cars running on the track during the afternoon Saturday while we were doing the race. But a couple of miles away, riding into the wind, you’d get a brief letup in the wind and in that second, you could hear the cars over on the racetrack. There are walls around the track itself, so all I could see were the tops of them, and couldn’t even tell what kind they were.

The short loop was marked with green arrows, and was more or less a triangle. First leg, tailwind. Second leg, mixed wind. Third leg, headwind. At the vertex by pit row, you cross the other riders plus road traffic, and they had a policeman there directing traffic and letting bikes through without delay. Minimal traffic on the first two legs, heavier traffic on the third leg,but the traffic itself never was an issue for me.

At 5:30, when you came in, instead of the timing station, they directed you over a bridge and onto the race track, crossing a different timing mat on the way in. Then it’s loops around the racetrack at 3.7 miles each. I got in three of these laps in the last part of my time. The timing station shows race time as you go by. I saw I had 11:39 on one lap, then 11:50 on the next lap, and that meant I didn’t have time for a 4th, so that was it.

I exited the race track, and rode back to my car. Looking around, I couldn’t see any way to walk back over there. There’s a pedestrian bridge across the track,but it was all gated and locked. The bridge I rode over had a “no pedestrian” sign. So I loaded my bike in the car and drove back across. If you’re a 12-hour rider, you want to make sure you visit your pit before you go over to the track, and then just ride out your time. If you’re a 24-hour rider,figure you or your crew will need to drive your stuff over, then carry it 100 yards or so to the pit area for the track. And “pit” here refers to the cycling pits, unrelated to the auto racing pit area.

The 12-hour race ended at 6:30, there was supposed to be an awards ceremony at 7:30, then a separate one for the 24-hour racers when they finish in the morning. Our ceremony started a few minutes late. At the ceremony, they called out age-group winners for each age group/type/gender, but not the “overall”winner. They posted results before the ceremony, though, so you could go look how you did beforehand. I had 183 miles total for 2nd place out of 3 in my age group. Andc ounting later, it looks like I was (Edited) #18 out of 30 for men on upright bikes. They also announced 100-mile winners at the same time. For the12-hour, they had separate categories for the upright and recumbent, and I’m not sure if they did for the 100-mile race. The age groups were by 5-year intervals, so probably 80% of the people there were in the top three in their age group and category. Prize was a pendant, with photos of the finishers receiving them.

While I was waiting around for the awards, I noticed the yellow velomobile make a brief pit stop and take back off. I went over and talked to the crew person. He said that rider had just finished 315 miles in the first 12 hours. So quite the riding going on there.

Word around the awards ceremony was “no records set this year, too windy!”, although I think the velomobile was one exception there.

Alli n all, good event, worth considering if you have opportunity.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3253.JPG (103.9 KB, 93 views)
IMG_3254.JPG (89.7 KB, 95 views)
IMG_3255.JPG (107.4 KB, 91 views)
IMG_3256.JPG (336.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by StephenH; 02-18-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 07:08 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Short Version: I raced at Sebring, didn’t doany good, didn’t expect to, but had fun and learned how it all works. And the guy in the velomobile did awesome...........................Wordaround the awards ceremony was “no records set this year, too windy!”, although I think the velomobile was one exception there.

Alli n all, good event, worth considering if you have opportunity.

OUTSTANDING RACE REPORT !!!!!! You had an AWESOME RESULT !!!! Not sure of exact miles but heard Lily and Laura Velo did 647 miles. The fog was terrible and the wind was unreal. NOT the 11mph predicted but more 15mph that did not let up until into the morning hours instead of the early evening hours.

This was my 2nd year and first RAAM attempt. Rode 307 miles last year and prepared for the NON-DRAFTING ride but things did not go well for me starting in January with injury and illness then Friday evening after settling in our room at Chateau Elan, my right knee joint cracked and I went down. Knew at that time that the ride WOULD NOT GO WELL.

I began the race at the rear of the group and quickly lost site of almost everybody, the fog didn't help but I was also riding slowly. Out on the road I maintained my pace for an under 3 hour turn around and had some drafters behind me until I dropped them not really minding since I knew I was NOT going to complete the 24 Hour RAAM distance required for my 65-69 age group. One of the CRUZ riders is a riding buddy and he took the 100 miler.

On the way back from the turn-around my knee started talking to me and it was NOT A HAPPY CONVERSATION. First hundred as planned under 6 hours so still on schedule but then things went downhill from there. That triple climb after the the tracks on the 11 mile loop really got the knee bad and then the turn into the wind back to the track was the icing on the cake for every loop. I tried to plan my riding to hit the track as they opened it up for riding but screwed myself by 6 minutes. They had me go back out for ONE MORE 11 MILE LOOP and I think I might have been the LAST RIDER to make it back over the bridge and onto the track. Pretty bad when riding into the wind on that last section back to the track at 6mph in low gear.

Turned out that they had the track lights on during the night this year and it was AWESOME compared to last year's darkness. Velo man had the brightest headlights, better than many cars, but it would be nice if the sucker made a bit more noise as he approaches. MANY TIMES he passed me being fairly close but one time in the back section of track I was not paying attention in my mirror and went into a turn close to the apex when out of the darkness he passes between me and the rumble strips with a foot gap. NOT COOL!!!! and I am glad I didn't go farther left.

Anyway, my knee got so bad that approaching midnight I went back to my room and spent a half hour under hot water from the shower just hitting my knee with a down time of over 1 hour. Re-kitted and back out then had to shower again.

Finally abandoned around 3AM TOTALLY understanding I should have quit earlier but just had to keep on pushing.

Already to register for another RAAM attempt and our room at Chateau Elan looking out over the S-turns. On Sunday there was a couple of a mishaps in the S-turns, one with a fire and I believe the driver taken to the hospital. The auto racing was great just like last year's.

Once again, congratulations and SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 02-14-18 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 10:27 AM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts

Wordaround the awards ceremony was “no records set this year, too windy!”, although I think the velomobile was one exception there.
Very nice writeup!

BTW- There was at least one record broken that I know of. A teammate of mine, Carol Beliveau, broke the 50+ woman's 12 hour record with 226 miles.

Last edited by c.miller64; 02-15-18 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 12:12 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

My luggage going down, and my bike at the beach down in Naples on the following day (I did a perm down there).
Attached Images
IMG_3240.jpg (378.5 KB, 79 views)
IMG_3267.JPG (500.7 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by StephenH; 02-14-18 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 03:33 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I really liked this report
Well done.

Very impressed you did it on a BF. Could you describe how much different it is in terms of efficiency/speed compared to a comparable traditional sized bike in your opinion. I really like the idea of one for the future for traveling but have always wondered if I would regret a slower more awkward ride. It sounds like you did amazing with it.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-17-18 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 05:07 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
My luggage going down, and my bike at the beach down in Naples on the following day (I did a perm down there).
Impressed as I was passing you on the way towards Frost Proof I told you "COOL BIKE."
Old 02-18-18, 10:56 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I really liked this report
Well done.

Very impressed you did it on a BF. Could you describe how much different it is in terms of efficiency/speed compared to a comparable traditional sized bike in your opinion. I really like the idea of one for the future for traveling but have always wondered if I would regret a slower more awkward ride. It sounds like you did amazing with it.

Looking at the posted "overall" results, it looks like I'm #18 out of 30. Either I miscounted earlier (Edit: I did, I had a photo of the original posting and I was 18/30 on that), or I'm overlooking something now. Anyway, on my road bike, I'd be a bit faster but not a bunch faster. But if I got 10 extra miles, that would move me from #18 to #14, and I'd still be #2 in my age group. And I'm just guessing at the 10 extra miles, I've never done any comparison rides to see what the difference is. And keep in mind that being 18th or 14th in this case doesn't win you a #18 or #14 trophy, it's just a matter of bragging rights, and there's not a lot of bragging involved when you finish #14 or #18.

So the question becomes, is it worth moving from #18 to #14 to go to some extra time and expense to get a proper road bike to the race?
If you do, is it worthwile to have a second road bike as backup?
Is it worthwhile to use a full-on time trial bike? Time-trial helmet? Zip wheels? Disk wheel? Crew?

The answer on all of those is, that it just depends on how serious are you are about doing your best. I could get a full time-trial rig, disk wheel, the works, and I can be pretty sure I wouldn't be cranking out 249 miles like the lead guy was. If I was "almost" fast enough, I'd be pretty motivated to up my game a bit and be #1. But being #18, there's not a lot of motivation to me to move into that #14 spot, so I'm satisfied with how that all worked out.

Last edited by StephenH; 02-18-18 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 12:22 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Thank you for the reply

After boxing and flying my bike for touring I've looked on and off at folding bikes as an alternative. Last night I looked at the different models on the Bike Friday website (and should really just find a dealer and try one). My mind just has a hard time thinking it will ride like a more traditional bike but results like yours certainly show the potential.

I understand your thoughts about bike vs performance. I believe as well that we should ride whatever bike we have until our skill outstrips the technology rather than wanting the technology to compensate for the skill. Sure it would be nice to have the best of everything but if the cost (or inconvenience) makes doing things less likely then it's better off going with what works. If a portable system allows you to perform as well as you did then it's a pretty good and encouraging trade off IMO.

Cheers.
Old 02-18-18, 01:48 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Note that my bike is the "Pocket Rocket". They have the fatter-tired bikes that may be more appropriate for touring that I would expect to be a little slower as well.
One drawback I've noticed is that it's buzzier on chipseal than my other bikes, not a problem at Sebring, but could be other places.
I bought my Bike Friday with plans to travel more, and really haven't done that much travel, so I probably would have been better off financially to be renting bikes or paying oversize fees on luggage.