Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem racing?!?!?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem racing?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 02:59 PM
JBinDC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandem racing?!?!?

My (soon to be) wife and I are a pretty strong team and joke about using our tandem in the triathlons we compete in. But I just realized I’ve never actually asked whether there are any tandem categories in road racing. It seems like an easy category that could be added to races which would attract some more competitors and be fun for spectators. Have any couples competed on their tandem in any form? We have a road tandem and are interested in an offroad rig so are open to suggestions.

Take care,
JB
Old 01-27-18, 04:32 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I hate to say it, but there is not a lot of tandem racing these days. You used to find an occasional crit that would have a tandem category and CoMotion sponsored a multiday stage race in Oregon, but at this point, the most you are likely to find is a time trial that will have a tandem category. And I often have to ask for them to create one specifically so we can compete, which most TT promoters will do because it's fairly easy and will make them a little more money.

USA Cycling had tandem categories in the past at Masters Nats, but there were none last year. Not clear if that was just a one year thing or if there will be no more there either. Kind of a depressing state of affairs.
Old 01-28-18, 01:20 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bwebel
I hate to say it, but there is not a lot of tandem racing these days. You used to find an occasional crit that would have a tandem category and CoMotion sponsored a multiday stage race in Oregon, but at this point, the most you are likely to find is a time trial that will have a tandem category. And I often have to ask for them to create one specifically so we can compete, which most TT promoters will do because it's fairly easy and will make them a little more money.

USA Cycling had tandem categories in the past at Masters Nats, but there were none last year. Not clear if that was just a one year thing or if there will be no more there either. Kind of a depressing state of affairs.
Oh, that's a shame. I seem to remember a picture of one of the folks who posts here (merlinextraligh?) on a podium with a bronze medal from Masters Nats. I think he even mentioned increasing the size of his big ring because they spun out at an unfortunate time in the road race at nationals one year. I thought it was kind of cool that there were tandem categories.
Old 01-28-18, 07:59 AM
bwebel

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Oh, that's a shame. I seem to remember a picture of one of the folks who posts here (merlinextraligh?) on a podium with a bronze medal from Masters Nats. I think he even mentioned increasing the size of his big ring because they spun out at an unfortunate time in the road race at nationals one year. I thought it was kind of cool that there were tandem categories.
USA Cycling had to switch around the Masters Nats location for last year relatively late in the process. It's possible that the cut in the number of categories had to do with this. I'm hoping that this is the case and the tandem categories will come back, but I fear they are gone forever. I'd expect the schedule to be out relatively soon, which would answer the question.
Old 01-28-18, 10:54 AM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Rides as Races

Here in southern AZ we do 3 or 4 rides a year that we treat as 'races.'

The biggest one that we participate in is El Tour de Tucson, which has something like 8,000 riders in 4 distances.

The organizers call these events 'Rides.' Just try to tell that to the guys who do the 106 miles in just over 4:03!

These events are big enough to attract a number of tandem teams at each distance and the organizers are nice enough to break out the tandem times in a separate list of finishers.

I realize that this is not the kind of racing you were asking about, but its what passes for racing for us.

Your idea of doing triathlons as a tandem team is an interesting one. From what I've seen of triathlons, (I don't do them myself) timing begins when a competitor enters the water. In a pool situation, not every competitor can get on the pool at the same time so starts are staggered. How to get teams together after the swim would be tricky and having the swim after the riding could cause chaos in the pool afterwards... But I like the thought of it.
Old 01-29-18, 04:34 PM
PDub62

Bikes: 1998 Bontrager Road Lite, 2005 Trek 9.8, 2008 Santana Arriva Tandem w/ S&S Couplings, 2009 Electra Rat Rod, 2010 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2010 Cannondale SuperSix, 2011 Cannondale CX, 2011 Cannondale Tandem, Xtracycle, Surly Pugsley Necromancer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fondo

If you look around there are a variety of Fondo style rides/races with tandem classes. We did Levi’s Gran Fondo a few years ago on the tandem; unfortunately we found out that though they have a tandem class they only give awards to the half-bike categories. Here in WI there’s Race the Lake and Chequamagon Fat Tire 40 (mtn bike) that both have tandem classes.
Old 01-29-18, 07:10 PM
DonP

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The MO state championship has Tandems. Last year only 1 showed.
Old 01-29-18, 07:48 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A buddy and his wife have been racing their mountain tandem for ten plus years now. I think they are on their third or fourth bike.
Old 01-30-18, 11:54 AM

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2009 Santana Tandem, 2023 Sanitas Custom Node

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
We had three tandems racing on the Alkek Velodrome last season before Harvey shut it down.
Old 01-30-18, 12:31 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It depends on what you want to do. A lot of the long-distance races have tandem categories. These are typically 6-hour, 12-hour, 24-hour or 500-mile type distances. In a lot of them, you will be the only tandem, so if you're looking for actual competition, that's something different. Here's one, for example, 12 hour and 6 hour with tandem categories in both: HOME - Maryland Endurance Challenge Look up others at www.ultracycling.com

The Texas Time Trials in Glen Rose, Texas (southwest of Dallas) is a 500 mile/24hr/12hr/6hr event that includes tandems.
The Texas Time Trials Championship is a 40k time trial in south Texas that also includes tandems. I've done the first, know some people that have done the latter- it had three tandems in it that year.
Old 01-30-18, 10:24 PM
DonP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonP
The MO state championship has Tandems. Last year only 1 showed.
This is a 40K race.
Old 01-30-18, 11:25 PM
DonP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are going to give Time Trials a try with our new DaVinci.

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...1&d=1517376288
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3753 copy.jpg (229.6 KB, 217 views)
Old 01-31-18, 08:20 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
My wife and I did the Miami Valley Stage Race in Dayton, OH in 1991. There were at least 10-11 tandems, can’t remember. Anyway, there was a Friday night prologue TT of 1k, Saturday morning TT of around 12 miles, Saturday night criterium and points sprints, and a Sunday road race about 55 miles.

Lot of fun.

Old 02-01-18, 09:57 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2592
We had three tandems racing on the Alkek Velodrome last season before Harvey shut it down.
Were these fixed gear tandems or do they allow geared bikes possibly with brakes removed??
Old 02-09-18, 01:41 PM

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2009 Santana Tandem, 2023 Sanitas Custom Node

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waynesulak
Were these fixed gear tandems or do they allow geared bikes possibly with brakes removed??
Fixed gear.
Old 02-09-18, 03:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea back when the cooperatively owned Burly company was going, they had tandem races in Eugene Oregon,
As mentioned above CoMootion, another Tandem bike making company, Used to as well.

I expect a few tandem entrants in Brevets, like Paris-Brest-Paris..
Old 02-09-18, 05:32 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
That would suck if they no longer have Tandems at Masters Nationals. We did the RR and TT two times. One of the last places that had tandem road races with a decent sized field.

I'd be a bit surprised if USA Cycling doesn't bring it back given the field sizes were big enough they were getting revenue.

Gravel racing is growing and many have tandem categories. We did Pisgah Monster Cross in the Gravel division last fall, but only two teams.

Last I checked Everest Challenge had a tandem division.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-09-18, 05:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My wife and I did the Miami Valley Stage Race in Dayton, OH in 1991. There were at least 10-11 tandems, can’t remember. Anyway, there was a Friday night prologue TT of 1k, Saturday morning TT of around 12 miles, Saturday night criterium and points sprints, and a Sunday road race about 55 miles.

Lot of fun.
Very cool. Tandem crits are awesome. Setting up out of the last turn for a field sprint in a tandem crit is not for the feint of heart. I'm not sure there are any anymore.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-15-18, 11:00 AM
GuyRocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
The Tour de Acoma in New Mexico has a tandem class. It's not a sanctioned race, but there are timing chips, a tandem class, and always a few tandems. First prize is some nice pueblo pottery. Options from 25-100 miles are available. The scenery is spectacular.
Old 02-16-18, 04:16 PM
Team Fab

Bikes: Comotion Supremo, Trek T1000, Comotion Supremo Triple

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This event has a tandem class.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/ro...-through-house
Old 02-19-18, 04:15 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Very cool. Tandem crits are awesome. Setting up out of the last turn for a field sprint in a tandem crit is not for the feint of heart. I'm not sure there are any anymore.
For the record, Bill Shook of American Classic and his stoker won everything.

Old 02-19-18, 05:28 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Yes, the El Tour de Tucson is 'technically' not race due to the high insurance costs. The likes of Tour de France and world champ racers (Jeannie Longo/Greg LeMond etc) riding it does make it quite competitive!
However there are trophies for different distances/mixed tandem teams, all male and even all female duos.
Have ridden it 29 times, of which 15 years as tandem participants with my wife Kay and once with a female 12 year old stoker
There was also the Tour of the Tucson Mountains for 25 years at which event there were tandem categories, with trophies. Had the honor to have the Tour of the Tucson Mountains dedicated to the two of us w-a-y back in 1995.
While tandem events/races are not an every day thing I've never heard of tandem triathelons; how do you propose to swim/run as a tandem duo?
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 02-24-18, 08:26 PM
JBinDC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like we have a tandem category in a Washington DC underground parking garage criterium on 4 April 2018! https://www.bicycling.com/rides/events/crystal-citys-underground-garage-crit-is-the-most-fun-race-youve-never-seen
Old 02-25-18, 06:30 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JBinDC
Looks like we have a tandem category in a Washington DC underground parking garage criterium on 4 April 2018! https://www.bicycling.com/rides/events/crystal-citys-underground-garage-crit-is-the-most-fun-race-youve-never-seen
Keep it wide around the support columns in the parking garage. I think my scariest experience on tandem was stoking in a parking garage crit.