Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 07:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Wabi doesn't have Lightning SE in stock in my size and so I'd be interested in suggestions for a nice fixed gear road frame - steel with carbon fork - similar to the Wabi Lightning SE.

Weight is a primary concern and a custom is not out of the question.

It should have road geometry to the extent that it is possible and braze ons for two bottle cages. I'm not looking for a track bike but a fixed gear road bike.

-Tim-
R+E cycles Shiftless is semi-custom (to full on custom if you want) and a very good deal! Shiftless Track Bikes - Rodriguez track bikes for Men and women
I am thinking about getting one and getting a full carbon fork but they have a nice alu steerer version that is just fine and dandy. Just give them a buzz or email and they can set you up right. You can also get different tubing and make it really light.
Old 02-20-18, 08:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
R+E cycles Shiftless is semi-custom (to full on custom if you want) and a very good deal! Shiftless Track Bikes - Rodriguez track bikes for Men and women
I am thinking about getting one and getting a full carbon fork but they have a nice alu steerer version that is just fine and dandy. Just give them a buzz or email and they can set you up right. You can also get different tubing and make it really light.

This is compelling. Thank you.

and I sent them an email with some ideas to see if this is workable.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-20-18 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 09:57 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Tim,

Have you looked at the All City Big Block? It is track geometry, but All City is marketing it as a fast and comfortable frame. The fork is chromoly, but could of course be changed. There are cable stops on the frame, but only 1 set of water bottle brazeons. Might be worth a look:

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/big_block

Plus the paint is pretty amazing!

Did Wabi give a lead time for the next batch of lightning frames?

Dave
Old 02-21-18, 01:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

This is compelling. Thank you.

and I sent them an email with some ideas to see if this is workable.

-Tim-
No worries, they make some great stuff.
Old 02-21-18, 02:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

No worries, they make some great stuff.
I spoke with them today via phone.

Looks like what I want might be within reach and I'm sending them a detailed description with some measurements for a firm quote to find out for sure.

One guy on the road bike forum has five of their bikes.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-21-18 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 03:52 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I'm replacing the entire drive-train on the Kilo. Going with an Omnium crankset and will also need a new cog (18 & 19T) and chain, both in black. Suggestions? Most likely will be ordering from Retro.
Old 02-21-18, 04:32 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I'm replacing the entire drive-train on the Kilo. Going with an Omnium crankset and will also need a new cog (18 & 19T) and chain, both in black. Suggestions? Most likely will be ordering from Retro.
KMC 710SL chain is a good choice and comes in black, I've run the gold version on 3 bikes and like it lots. The EAI cogs are nice if you don't mind spending a little extra, also been running an All-City 19t track cog on my Pake with no complaints, less money. I don't know if skid spots are important to you but 48 x 18 only gives you 3. Also something with the way it wears the drive train. I would suggest going 17t & 19t. Or going with a 47t/49t chain ring instead. I run 47t and it's nice being able to choose any cog and get maximum skids spots and spread the wear out evenly.
Old 02-21-18, 04:40 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
KMC 710SL chain is a good choice and comes in black, I've run the gold version on 3 bikes and like it lots. The EAI cogs are nice if you don't mind spending a little extra, also been running an All-City 19t track cog on my Pake with no complaints, less money. I don't know if skid spots are important to you but 48 x 18 only gives you 3. Also something with the way it wears the drive train. I would suggest going 17t & 19t. Or going with a 47t/49t chain ring instead. I run 47t and it's nice being able to choose any cog and get maximum skids spots and spread the wear out evenly.
Thanks for the suggestion, I had that very chain on my wish list.

Nope, don't skid, never have. Too old for that. But thanks anyway.
Old 02-21-18, 04:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I spoke with them today via phone.

Looks like what I want might be within reach and I'm sending them a detailed description with some measurements for a firm quote to find out for sure.

One guy on the road bike forum has five of their bikes.

-Tim-
Awesome sauce, hope it works out!

Five bikes??? Dang I want to have that dudes bank account. I simply just want one or two of their bikes, an Outlaw Fixed Gear (basically what you are looking for but the ultralight version) and a Ti touring bike with S+S couplers, disc brakes, thru axles and internal/integrated dynamo wiring. I am but a simple bike nut.
Old 02-21-18, 08:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Awesome sauce, hope it works out!

Five bikes??? Dang I want to have that dudes bank account. I simply just want one or two of their bikes, an Outlaw Fixed Gear (basically what you are looking for but the ultralight version) and a Ti touring bike with S+S couplers, disc brakes, thru axles and internal/integrated dynamo wiring. I am but a simple bike nut.
Well, the guy has five bikes between him and his wife.

Those S3 tubes are scary light. I'd be afraid of denting it.

My employer announced a $1500 award for a technical certification required by one of our vendors if it is achieved by 4/30 so my motivation is right there. Time to crack the books and earn a new bike.

-Tim-
Old 02-21-18, 08:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Well, the guy has five bikes between him and his wife.

Those S3 tubes are scary light. I'd be afraid of denting it.

My employer announced a $1500 award for a technical certification required by one of our vendors if it is achieved by 4/30 so my motivation is right there. Time to crack the books and earn a new bike.

-Tim-
Yeah that would be the one thing but a steel frame that is 3lbs is pretty nifty.

Get that $1500, buy that bike and keep on truckin'. I wish my employer would get me some money in larger quantities. I've got a fever and the only prescription is more bikes or at least parts, I am good on bikes at the moment.
Old 02-21-18, 09:29 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
I'm good on bikes too, trying to save for other things. I would like a TT bike and a new track bike but those probably aren't going to happen this year. I just finished building up a Wabi, on the other hand.
Old 02-21-18, 09:34 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm good on bikes too, trying to save for other things. I would like a TT bike and a new track bike but those probably aren't going to happen this year. I just finished building up a Wabi, on the other hand.
Can we see some pics?

Dave
Old 02-22-18, 09:32 AM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 9 Posts
My tires are shot and thinking of going to the Panaracer Gravelking (not SK) in a 26mm.

Good tire for urban streets with possible rain?

Are these true to size or run wider?

My usual go-to tire is the Conti 4000s
Old 02-22-18, 09:53 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
My tires are shot and thinking of going to the Panaracer Gravelking (not SK) in a 26mm.

Good tire for urban streets with possible rain?

Are these true to size or run wider?

My usual go-to tire is the Conti 4000s
Great tires. My new set of 32mm gumwalls measured at about 30mm on 23mm rims. I suspect they may stretch and widen a little over time. I find them to be durable and fast rolling tires. I had far fewer flats than I did last year since switching.

Last edited by 50voltphantom; 02-22-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 02:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Panaracer Gravelking are natural rubber and likely to stretch over the first 36-ish hours or so, approximately-ish.

GKSK's on my Niner were 38 mm when mounted and puffed out to over 41 mm the next day.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-22-18 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 04:44 PM
bonsai171

Protecting dropouts

Is there a way to protect rear dropouts from damage from wheels with nuts? Maybe rubber washers?

Dave
Old 02-23-18, 05:19 PM
REDMASTA

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Is there a way to protect rear dropouts from damage from wheels with nuts? Maybe rubber washers?

Dave
I'ts always good to washer your nuts, but not with rubber.

Track nuts are crafty and have a serrated washer built in so the pair can hang tight and not go sliding around, which no one wants.

Last edited by REDMASTA; 02-23-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 05:32 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
I'ts always good to washer your nuts, but not with rubber.

Track nuts are crafty and have a serrated washer built in so the pair can hang tight and not go sliding around, which no one wants.
Wouldn't that still damage the paint?

Dave
Old 02-23-18, 05:53 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
If the paint on your dropouts doesn't get damaged, your wheel isn't on tight enough.
Old 02-23-18, 06:31 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by seau grateau
If the paint on your dropouts doesn't get damaged, your wheel isn't on tight enough.
Anyone have the wabi sub 1500's? Wabi claims their bolt on wheels don't damage the dropouts. Does it really work?

Dave
Old 02-23-18, 06:36 PM
REDMASTA

Yes when properly torqued it will remove some paint. When you swap cogs you get all those nice circles . Just the way it is, shows you use the bike which in itself is a good look.

Some frames have the paint strategically missing from the dropout area. I like the idea, just never had a frame that came this way. Can't think of a way to cleanly remove said paint to replicate the look. Maybe use a steel dropout insert from an aluminum frame to make a reverse template and sand it off.
Old 02-23-18, 06:41 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I'm assuming they mean they won't chew up the metal, but I don't know. Seems like kind of a dubious claim either way, and I really feel that paint on dropouts is not something anyone anywhere should be concerned about.
Old 02-23-18, 08:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Wabi Dropout Protectors

Anyone have the wabi sub 1500's? Wabi claims their bolt on wheels don't damage the dropouts. Does it really work?
Yes, I have Sub 15's on my bike with the Wabi dropout protectors.

Any wheel will chew a painted dropout. Don't worry about it.

I use the dropout protectors not to protect the paint but because the Bianch Pista has stamped dropouts only 6 mm thick. The Wabi fasteners are designed for thicker dropouts, at least 8 mm and they would not clamp down on the thinner stamped dropouts on the Pista. I could have just gone to Lowes and picked up shorter bolts but when I called the former owner of Wabi about the issue he put the dropout protectors in an envelope and mailed them to me no charge. Richard Snook is that kind of guy.

The best solution are proper replaceable dropouts like this Cinelli.

Some replaceable dropouts are works of art.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-23-18 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 08:07 PM
REDMASTA

Not sure what Wabi means, their bolts with a serrated washer look similar to what my All-City New Sheriff hubs use and you will still remove some paint. Maybe they are comparing them to the regular serrated axle nuts you sometimes see on BMX bikes. The ones without the built in washer like “track nuts” have. Those will obviously chew into the dropout and can’t see a good reason to use them.

It’s painted metal and your bolting something up against it with a good amount of force, you can’t expect it to stay pristine. If it bothers you that much get a an aluminum frame with steel inserts, or a steel frame with the paint removed from the dropout area, or remove said paint along the dropout as I suggested, OR install the wheel and never ever change your cog and make sure to always install wheel in same spot so missing paint is hidden under the nut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.