Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Px-10?

Old 02-20-18, 11:23 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by indycycling
I picked this up this afternoon. Local friend of sloar - I've got 3 of his bikes in my little collection, so far
Very nice grab. I had one of these pop through my door. Very nice bike even though not full 531. The white enamel rustolium paint they sell in the little pint size cans at Home Depot is a perfect match for touch ups.
Old 02-22-18, 10:14 AM
Peugeotlover

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks, it's been cleaned up just a little bit in my photos following pick up. I will have to measure the seat post properly tomorrow.
If you remove the seat post, you may find it to be engraved with its manufacturer and size.
Like this original Strong seat post from my Peugeot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1134 (5).JPG (338.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 02-22-18, 07:33 PM
indycycling

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Peugeotlover
If you remove the seat post, you may find it to be engraved with its manufacturer and size.
Like this original Strong seat post from my Peugeot.
Awesome, thanks much, will pull it and check this weekend when I tear it down and start to clean it up.
Old 02-22-18, 07:34 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Very nice grab. I had one of these pop through my door. Very nice bike even though not full 531. The white enamel rustolium paint they sell in the little pint size cans at Home Depot is a perfect match for touch ups.
Thanks much for the tip on the paint. It's certainly seen better days, but I need to thoroughly clean and polish it first to see what it may look like this weekend.
Old 02-22-18, 07:39 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Very, very nice bike. I rebuilt a similar era PR 10 last summer (mine is a mid 70s) from a frame set I picked up.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...good-ugly.html

I'd lose those brake levers and get some mafacs. If you put up a WTB in the C&V sales forum, someone will sell them to you. Rustines makes hoods for them including the half hoods which are, I think, cool. The bike obviously needs a complete overhaul.

You'll have a few tough decisions. One is whether you want to keep the tubulars or go with clinchers. Tubulars are nice and you don't have to pay a bomb for them but you have to deal with gluing them on. The other is whether or not you want to go with simplex derailleurs. I did on my build and I got lucky finding some but they can be expensive especially if you want long cage ones. Personally I'd keep those derailleurs. They're period correct and they work better than the simplex ones will.

Welcome to the PR 10 club! And once you've fixed it up, you can post pics here,

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bikes-105.html

You can get a reproduction 531 sticker here

VeloCals bicycle decals - Quality, Durable, Ultra-thin
Thanks for the great info! I think I"m going to stick with the Suntour group and just change out the brake levers. Will see how it's shaping up after teardown and cleaning this weekend. I will remove the tubulars and see what shakes out.
Old 02-23-18, 06:35 PM
Peugeotlover

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I will remove the tubulars and see what shakes out.

I've been using YellowJersey.org Servizio Corsa tubulars for 5 years. (black or tan wall)
They are okay, best of all is the price 3 for $50. (+ shipping & 1 tube of glue does 2 wheels.)

Yellow Jersey has a good tutorial on how to glue & mount the tubular tire.
Just send Andrew (the owner) an e-mail with your order & he can send you a PayPal request for payment; he ships fast.
Attached Images
DSCF1134 (4).JPG (307.9 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Peugeotlover; 02-23-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 06:58 PM
MeadMan2

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Way back when I had experience gluing tubs. Was successful but it was a pain. I recently installed some Tufo tubs & used their tape. A friend has also used their tape & rides long & hard & was no problems. Easy & clean, no glue on the sidewalls or rims.
Old 02-24-18, 08:34 AM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I've been using YellowJersey.org Servizio Corsa tubulars for 5 years. (black or tan wall)
They are okay, best of all is the price 3 for $50. (+ shipping & 1 tube of glue does 2 wheels.)

Yellow Jersey has a good tutorial on how to glue & mount the tubular tire.
Just send Andrew (the owner) an e-mail with your order & he can send you a PayPal request for payment; he ships fast.
Thanks for the source and the pic, love the gum wall look of your tires. Luckily, these old tires peeled right off, almost fell off the rim. I'll need to clean up some old glue residue but not much. I have some solvent that I've used for this task on my modern road road wheels with tubulars.
Old 02-24-18, 08:35 AM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MeadMan2
Way back when I had experience gluing tubs. Was successful but it was a pain. I recently installed some Tufo tubs & used their tape. A friend has also used their tape & rides long & hard & was no problems. Easy & clean, no glue on the sidewalls or rims.
No doubt, the tape is the way to go! I've got one pair of modern Zipp 404 tubulars and installed my Tufo's with tape.
Old 02-24-18, 08:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
So the fork or frame isn’t bent?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-24-18, 09:26 AM
Peugeotlover

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I'll need to clean up some old glue residue but not much. I have some solvent that I've used for this task on my modern road road wheels with tubulars.
I used to use a solvent- Park Tool Citrus Chainbrite- to clean the glue from the rims.
Then, I got to thinking- there has got to be an easier, less messy, way.

An electric drill with a wire brush attachment does an incredibly good job, and quickly, too.
Caution: wear heavy gloves, eye protection- if the spinning wire brush catches your hand it can hurt.
I clamp the wheel rim between styrofoam pieces in a vice- and just have at it. Very satisfying.
Yes, rim tape is good and easy- but it is expensive.

It is not pleasant dealing with the rim cement, as has been noted.
But, just a half a tube, equally doled out on the clean rim, between the spoke/nipple eyelets, let it set for 10 minutes, then, starting at the valve stem pull the tire over the rim without getting glue on anything.
After the first time it is pretty easy.

A day ahead, before mounting tubular onto rim---Hint:

Warm the tubular tire in an oven for two minutes at 100 degrees Fahrenheit, then stretch it onto the rim a day before you want to mount it. Pump air into the tire, let sit overnight.
Have some cardboard under your work area to catch glue drips, saves trying to clean up a mess.
Attached Images
DSCF1135.JPG (320.9 KB, 143 views)
DSCF1134 (5).JPG (309.1 KB, 142 views)
Old 02-24-18, 09:07 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Tear Down

Took it down today and cleaned the frame really well. Paint has seen better days, oh well, it will polish up nice as an original rider. I sourced some Mafac brake levers and Simplex down tube shifters today, on the way. Old sew ups peeled right off, need to spend time cleaning and detailing rims and hubs.

My crank puller is too small for the Stronglight - two LBS couldn't help either. Any thoughts here? I cleaned the crank but it needs to come off to do it right and I need to service the BB.

Is this a 49D crankset? I don't see any markings and don't think I will without pulling them. The pattern on the side of the crank suggests 49 series. Thanks guys!
Attached Images
IMG_7742.jpg (836.1 KB, 140 views)
IMG_7739.jpg (763.7 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-24-18, 09:10 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
So the fork or frame isn’t bent?
No bends anywhere, frame or fork
Old 02-24-18, 09:11 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I used to use a solvent- Park Tool Citrus Chainbrite- to clean the glue from the rims.
Then, I got to thinking- there has got to be an easier, less messy, way.

An electric drill with a wire brush attachment does an incredibly good job, and quickly, too.
Caution: wear heavy gloves, eye protection- if the spinning wire brush catches your hand it can hurt.
I clamp the wheel rim between styrofoam pieces in a vice- and just have at it. Very satisfying.
Yes, rim tape is good and easy- but it is expensive.

It is not pleasant dealing with the rim cement, as has been noted.
But, just a half a tube, equally doled out on the clean rim, between the spoke/nipple eyelets, let it set for 10 minutes, then, starting at the valve stem pull the tire over the rim without getting glue on anything.
After the first time it is pretty easy.

A day ahead, before mounting tubular onto rim---Hint:

Warm the tubular tire in an oven for two minutes at 100 degrees Fahrenheit, then stretch it onto the rim a day before you want to mount it. Pump air into the tire, let sit overnight.
Have some cardboard under your work area to catch glue drips, saves trying to clean up a mess.
Awesome, you have certainly figured this one out!
Old 02-25-18, 06:02 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Took it down today and cleaned the frame really well. Paint has seen better days, oh well, it will polish up nice as an original rider. I sourced some Mafac brake levers and Simplex down tube shifters today, on the way. Old sew ups peeled right off, need to spend time cleaning and detailing rims and hubs.

My crank puller is too small for the Stronglight - two LBS couldn't help either. Any thoughts here? I cleaned the crank but it needs to come off to do it right and I need to service the BB.

Is this a 49D crankset? I don't see any markings and don't think I will without pulling them. The pattern on the side of the crank suggests 49 series. Thanks guys!
Nice. The crankset is indeed a Stronglight 49D, here's a scan from VeloBase: VeloBase.com - Component: Stronglight 49D (Marque Deposee)

I've never removed a 49D, but my understanding is that you need a Stronglight crank puller, which I have for my Stronglight 93 crankset, special threading that nothing else works on. I can loan you one, just PM me your address. Otherwise, they run close to $50 on average. There's one on ebay for about $37, free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stein-crank...EAAOSwRTVacRd4
Old 02-25-18, 08:08 AM
Peugeotlover

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Testors enamel paint sets are available from Amazon, just google 'testors'.
The white is a pretty fair match for touch-up; the black and gold, as well.
Much better than looking at bare metal scratches. Roughly $20. a kit.

P1800?
Attached Images
DSCF1134 (4).JPG (326.7 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Peugeotlover; 02-25-18 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 08:55 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@indycycling Do not try to use the standard crank puller. You will strip the threads of the crank. You need to buy or borrow a unique to Stronglight 23.35 puller.
Old 02-25-18, 09:16 AM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 02-25-18, 09:19 AM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Testors enamel paint sets are available from Amazon, just google 'testors'.
The white is a pretty fair match for touch-up; the black and gold, as well.
Much better than looking at bare metal scratches. Roughly $20. a kit.

P1800?
Good eye, it's a P1800 ES wagon
Attached Images
Driveway Right Side.jpg (1.20 MB, 124 views)
Old 02-25-18, 09:19 AM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091
Nice. The crankset is indeed a Stronglight 49D, here's a scan from VeloBase: VeloBase.com - Component: Stronglight 49D (Marque Deposee)

I've never removed a 49D, but my understanding is that you need a Stronglight crank puller, which I have for my Stronglight 93 crankset, special threading that nothing else works on. I can loan you one, just PM me your address. Otherwise, they run close to $50 on average. There's one on ebay for about $37, free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stein-crank...EAAOSwRTVacRd4
Awesome, thanks for ID on the crank with the link and the offer on the tool. PM coming!
Old 02-25-18, 11:37 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Awesome, thanks for ID on the crank with the link and the offer on the tool. PM coming!
You're welcome. Pm sent on the puller heading your way tomorrow.
Old 02-25-18, 11:56 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

1973 is the first year Verot's 49D received allen chainwheel bolts so if chainset original to cycle it could not be earlier.

-----
Old 02-25-18, 03:52 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Just a random comment.....

Peugeot used that fork crown on some PX-10's. Why? Who knows. But I concur with everyone else.. it's a PR10
Old 02-28-18, 08:28 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
jj1091 - thanks so much for sending me your crank extractor. 5 minutes, the 49D is off the bike. I will overhaul the bottom bracket tomorrow. Picked up some decent Mafac brake levers and a great set of Simplex downtube shifters here on the Forum.

This weekend around riding, will put some elbow grease into all these parts and get the bike back together again.
Attached Images
IMG_7774.jpg (750.0 KB, 87 views)
IMG_7775.jpg (849.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-28-18, 08:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Flat white rustoleum is the perfect match for that paint. The PR 10 I picked up had more than its share of scratches and I was very impressed by the match with this paint.

Yeah the crank puller is a pain. Looking forward to seeing the bike built up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.