Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Utility ebike substitute for car?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Utility ebike substitute for car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 12:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Here in NYC, the pedal bike or e-bike is all some people use. But it's a dense city where lots of people are on two wheels.

My wife has a car which I rarely use. I don't have my own car.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-11-18, 04:07 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Consider an electric Bike Friday Haul - a -day. Stores in minimal space (upright), carries a ton of crapola, super strong smaller wheels, easier to park and maneuver. https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/bionx-electric-assist/
Old 02-11-18, 06:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've been car-free for a couple of years now. Regular pedal power

Anyway, I carry loads on my bike and trailers that would make many car drivers wince. Of course, capacity isn't the same as a full sized pickup, but I can still do quite well.

So, yes, an e-bike would be a great supplement, and would help hauling those heavy loads home, assuming I don't run out of battery juice.

The one issue with bikes, of course, is that one is exposed to the weather. It isn't always sunny for one's rides.
Old 02-11-18, 08:33 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I had a huge car crash in December '16, sustained 13 fractures. I didn't want to get back in a car after that, especially as it was in my classic car, and i don't much like boring moderns. Yes i realise they're far safer, but still.

So, unable to ride my existing bikes, i bought an e-bike. I spent a whole year using it for everything, including carrying my child to school. And i haven't looked back.

A year on then, and i've built a new one, to address a few issues. Huge tough panniers which fold up small, plenty of power (now i'm fixed and can play), vast range capability for days out, flexible functions, and full suspension.

I should add though, i don't use the roads - my town was built from scratch with a separate shared pedestrian/cycle network. Some may think i'm a bit repetitive with highlighting this, but so would you be. Because it's epic. And because i don't think i could roll this car-free e-bike life in a conventional town. I certainly wouldn't be carrying my child on the back, and i'm a single parent, so that'd be one hell of a deal-breaker.

Last edited by MikeyMK; 02-11-18 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 11:30 AM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got rid of my car 17+ months ago, and do all my commuting and a fair bit of shopping on a Stromer ST-1. I've got panniers front and back (front using a Thule pack n pedal, since there are no mount points). I also have a Burley cargo trailer (the flat bed). My wife still has an SUV, and we use that for most of the kid transportation (my 14 year old can ride, but sadly dislikes to; my 8 year old loves to, and I also have an aging "weehoo" recumbent tag along for him).

Most of the time, I'm just transporting myself and stuff, so rear panniers most of the time. Front and/or trailer only for big shopping trips (including killy litter from Costco ;>). Arkel and Ortlieb make the best bags. I've also got Thule and Timbuk2.