Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Selling vintage bikes in an over-saturated market

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Selling vintage bikes in an over-saturated market

Old 03-27-17, 03:23 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Only advice I can give is never haggle the price over the phone. I guarantee the caller will just take that as the starting point to haggle some more if/when they arrive.
I disagree.

As a buyer I almost always pre-negotiate on the phone. No way am I driving anywhere so some flake CL seller can hassle me.
Old 03-27-17, 09:12 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Only advice I can give is never haggle the price over the phone. I guarantee the caller will just take that as the starting point to haggle some more if/when they arrive.
Originally Posted by miamijim
As a buyer I almost always pre-negotiate on the phone. No way am I driving anywhere so some flake CL seller can hassle me.
Having done buying and selling, I've come to realize one has to meet somewhere in the middle of both of these. I let them know I am open to/make sure they are open to offers, and then deal in person. If someone is listed way high and makes an indication they aren't willing to move, or if they way lowball me and expect me to meet them near that price, there is little point in continuing. If the price is negotiable, though, I'm not going to box myself into a higher price without seeing it in person, nor am I going to accept a low offer without being able to explain my pricing in person.
Old 03-28-17, 09:50 AM
higgins617

Bikes: '74 Fuji The Ace, '07 S-Works Epic, 88? Hardrock.... A whole bunch more

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another stupid assessment I've made doing this for a little while. It's so much more likely that lower to mid range bikes you pick up will have less miles on them.

These bikes were likely bought by people who weren't super into riding, saw casual use, then got put aside.

A majority of the upper tier bikes I've picked up have had cassettes or freewheels that are totally cooked, indicating the fact they certainly didn't spend all their time hanging in a garage
Old 04-01-17, 01:56 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I see vintage different from department store level "old" bikes. And with the cost of consumables I would not look for anything under mid to upper mid range + bikes with the better tubing, derailleur hanger, etc.....It takes a fair amount of looking continuously but the deals are there. Fortunately I am online all day with work so when I was in buy mode I left a browser open and refreshed, CL, Letgo and Offer up. And that order produced the best results.
Old 04-22-17, 04:52 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Not that many years ago, when it was all about mountain bikes, old road bikes were a dime a dozen, now, not so much. If you add the word "Eroica" in the ad, the prices goes up a few hundred $$.
Old 02-19-18, 09:30 PM
budzos

Bikes: Concorde Prelude, Rans Enduro 26(WIP)93 Stumpjumper, 89 Trek 950, 93 Koga Miyata Terraliner, 95 Trek 850, Bianchi Ocelot, 93 Trek 720, Giant Iguana, Bachetta Strada, Haluzak Horizon, Rans Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading thru this thread and seeing how many of you are from the Milwaukee area I now know why its so hard to find a bike deal on Craigs list around here.
budzos
Old 02-19-18, 10:02 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by budzos
After reading thru this thread and seeing how many of you are from the Milwaukee area I now know why its so hard to find a bike deal on Craigs list around here.
budzos
Maybe not really known outside of the state, Milwaukee is a very bikecentric City. I still remember in the 80's when I lived there having such great summers riding and watching amateur and pro bike races like the Milwaukee Sentinel Classic, held the same time as the City's Bastille Day Celebrations where a race was held around the city blocks near the lakefornt where the Bastille Day events were held (Kinda gave it a TdF flavor). The lakefront race and the Downer Avenue Criteriums were especially nice to watch.. Some of the best summers I ever had! The cycling population was very in tune with the race and recreational biking culture (helps that most of the drivers generally respected cyclists on the roads). So not surprised that there are lots of knowledgable C&Vers over there. snapping up C&V bikes on CL and there might not be too many bargains to find in such a market.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-19-18, 10:16 PM
budzos

Bikes: Concorde Prelude, Rans Enduro 26(WIP)93 Stumpjumper, 89 Trek 950, 93 Koga Miyata Terraliner, 95 Trek 850, Bianchi Ocelot, 93 Trek 720, Giant Iguana, Bachetta Strada, Haluzak Horizon, Rans Rocket

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every once in a while I manage to still score a Trek or two.
I picked up an 89 Trek 950 for 50 bucks last summer but only because the posting was about a minute old.
budzos
Old 02-20-18, 09:03 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
My flipping as evolved over the years. So what I do now is much different than what I did five years ago.

1. A lot more part outs: In particular, vintage 1980s MTBs can make really good part outs (I am not talking some collectible Stumpy or one of the super desirable MTBs, I am talking run of the mill made in Japan or Taiwan stuff). Depending on the parts, I could dump $50 and 6 hours of time in refurbishing an old MTB, only to sell it for $100. Even if I got it for free (and I don't), its not very profitable. Or I can spend zero $$ and 1 hour to disassemble, and sell the parts, for $250 to $400. Started with a $40 MTB on 1/1/18. Sold the pedals for $150, crankset for $75, thumb shifters for $45, seat post for $40, you get the idea. Remaining parts go to the co-op. I avoided vintage MTBs entirely for several years. Not now.

2. Higher end road and touring bikes: It takes the same amount of time and $$ to refurbish a higher end bike as it does the lower end stuff. You may have to pay $500 for a high end bike that refurbished could sell for $1000. The higher end stuff also makes better product for ebay, where the cost of shipping is not a hurdle. People want the good stuff. I typically sell frame sets on ebay, packing bikes is too much effort. On more than one occasion, I have had frame buyers contact me about parts: "Do you have any parts that would fit that 1979 Trek you sold me?" Since I have the parts that came off the bike, and many more, it can be a win/win. Note shipping wheels cost as much or more than shipping a frame!

3. More word of mouth: Build a reputation for selling quality bikes that have been thoroughly refurbished. At least half my sales are to repeat customers. I give repeats a discount. Some of my repeat customers want projects, so I will give them two prices, and let them decide. The people in my area that are posting 20 bikes or more all do crappy work. Savvy buyers recognize it.

4. Learn from others: I slowly heeded advice from Miamijim that would have been much more profitable to me to have adopted much faster.

To those that look with distain on others that part out bikes, just remember, next time you want that one special part to complete one of your builds, very likely that part came off another bike. Many times, I find frankenbuilds that are quite a mess, random parts, none that really work well together, none that match. In the vintage MTB arena, the BMX crowd is pushing values of certain items like pedals and hubs. They want them, while the MTB has zero interest in them. Start with a rusty/crusty old MTB and get the nicer parts back in circulation!

Last edited by wrk101; 02-20-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 09:06 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
I disagree.

That goes both ways. And I don't take calls. Email only. That way I don't have to talk to flake buyers. That really weeds out the goofs!
Old 02-20-18, 09:41 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
I have had luck with changing the price if there seems to be lack of interest, and I do not mean always down. If you price a bike a bit too reasonably you tend to get a lot of flippers and bargain hunters (like us) who lowball or get passed over completely as people search for a price point that they think should get them a decent bike.

So if you list it for $180 and you aren't getting good response, wait a week and list it for $220. Its often a completely different set of buyers who search for <-200 and 200-> on CL. you can always then sell it for $180 anyway-
Old 02-20-18, 11:10 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
That goes both ways. And I don't take calls. Email only. That way I don't have to talk to flake buyers. That really weeds out the goofs!
I agree. At the moment I have a set of wheels listed, nothing special and only $40. A guy emails and asks if they're still available. Yes. Then he emails back and asks if I ever make it over to St. Pete.

Are you @#%&*@g kidding me? There's not a snowballs chance in hell I'm going to even remotely think about delivering a $40 wheelset 45 minutes in each direction. Get a job, buy a car, pick them up. Or pedal your butt across the bridge, strap them to your back and ride home. I'll meet you on the corner of Nebraska and Fowler.
Old 02-20-18, 04:04 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Same here. The only time I take calls is when we're about to meet up, on that day. Texts at the most.
Old 02-20-18, 05:15 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Most of the flippers around here are L A Z Y. They write crappy ads, with lousy pictures, and no useful information to the average recreational rider.

What does that rider want to know? Will it fit me? Are the tires new? Does everything work well? They don't want a part by part description of every little piece. While that kind of information is wonderful for those of us on the forum, to the average buyer, its overload.

Let them also know you are available to meet in a safe place, say a McDonalds, or whatever. I live in the boonies, unless I agree to meet people in town, I'm not going to sell anything locally.

Treat those other sellers in your market as "the competition". Do a better job! Cleaner bikes, better prepared, better pictures! If you can't do a better job than them, quit and move on to something else.

Something as simple as raising the saddle, leveling off the handlebars, air in the tires, all can make a difference.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-20-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 06:10 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Same here. The only time I take calls is when we're about to meet up, on that day. Texts at the most.
If they want it they will email you. I refuse to talk to people. I have in the past and they either don't show, or are malcontents. Email, or forget it!
Old 02-20-18, 10:44 PM
Mercianrider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
+1 If you want to make money you need to buy really low and put quite a bit of work into it. Make sure your ads have good photos and be sure to mention if you have repacked all the bearings, etc. That work has value. The other way is to buy high end bikes and part them out, but I don't think that's what this discussion is about.

I generally make a bit of money on sales, but if I calculated an hourly wage it would be paltry. But it's enjoyable, I get an occasional bike out of it, or choice parts, and the wrenching can happen in the company of a tasty beverage and the tunes of choice.

Well said!
Old 02-20-18, 11:16 PM
rob_ralph

Bikes: 92 GT Richter 8.0, 01 Schwinn Homegrown, 91 Alpinestar Cro-Mega DX, 92 GT Karakoram Tequila Sunrise, 91 GT Karakoram, 91 GT Avalanche

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I am in So Cal and have had pretty good luck flipping a couple bikes lately. Made close to $1000 on 3 bikes....

'90 DB APEX mtb - $50, sold for $300
'03 Rivendell Romulus - $39.99 (Goodwill), sold for $550
'89 Trek 8900 mtb - parted out

two weeks ago a '95 GT Zaskar for $50...might keep this one, super clean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Zaskar.jpg (553.2 KB, 204 views)
Old 02-21-18, 09:12 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,044 Times in 1,252 Posts
Who gives a Rivendell to Goodwill??
Old 02-21-18, 01:21 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
I will not spend more than $100 on a bike and usually I spend substantially less, and I only buy good quality bikes. As others have pointed out keeping costs low is key.
Old 02-21-18, 02:06 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Someone who clearly has a large surplus in their finances.
Old 02-21-18, 03:23 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
My flipping as evolved over the years. So what I do now is much different than what I did five years ago.

1. A lot more part outs: In particular, vintage 1980s MTBs can make really good part outs (I am not talking some collectible Stumpy or one of the super desirable MTBs, I am talking run of the mill made in Japan or Taiwan stuff). Depending on the parts, I could dump $50 and 6 hours of time in refurbishing an old MTB, only to sell it for $100. Even if I got it for free (and I don't), its not very profitable. Or I can spend zero $$ and 1 hour to disassemble, and sell the parts, for $250 to $400. Started with a $40 MTB on 1/1/18. Sold the pedals for $150, crankset for $75, thumb shifters for $45, seat post for $40, you get the idea. Remaining parts go to the co-op. I avoided vintage MTBs entirely for several years. Not now.

Start with a rusty/crusty old MTB and get the nicer parts back in circulation!
I have been reducing the herd for sanity and financial reasons and the two vintage MTB bikes I listed on CL recently were snapped up in less than a day. I had a gentlemen drive over 80 miles to buy the 1986 Miyata trail runner and he really only wanted it for the wheels. I paid about $50 for the pair and if I had the patience to part them out (bull moose bars, thumb shifters etc) I am sure I could have made even more.
Old 02-21-18, 04:49 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts

The ex, the widow or someone else who gets left with a bike they have no use for and know perhaps nothing about.

Goodwill has gotten better about determining the value of odd specialty items, though some still slip through with seemingly no research into their value, especially if they appear in a neglected state suggestive of little value.
Old 02-21-18, 04:50 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
My personal favorites are when you see a bike listed one day for cheaper, describing it in so-so condition, a fairly decent deal at the price. The next day, the exact same bike is listed again at three times the price, claiming it is in perfect shape...
Seems like that is pretty common. Not too long ago there was a mid '90s Basso for sale here in NY, where a guy came an posted on this forum to find out the value. The price was decent so he got it, and then proceeded to re-list it for a few hundred more without doing a thing.

Originally Posted by Starbiker
If they want it they will email you. I refuse to talk to people. I have in the past and they either don't show, or are malcontents. Email, or forget it!
The best deal I ever got on Craigslist was from a guy that was absolutely impossible to deal with. We agreed on a (good) price almost immediately via email, but then he blew me off numerous times when it was time to do the transaction, offering up some ridiculous excuses along the way.

Luckily I only lived a few blocks away from him, so I could basically hound him every day to finalize the transaction. And I suspect that is the reason why none of the no-life flippers got the bike first. Funny thing is, the guy turned out to be a pretty decent person in person, but he was just a bit of a flake/space cadet.
Old 02-21-18, 08:00 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
there seems also to be a bit of a market dip in the past year or two.. great to be a buyer, but you might have to horde for the next boom if you want to make any actual money. I recently sold 4 bikes in a week, but they were all priced pretty much at cost to myself..and I had gotten decent deals on them. I would have been a bit hard pressed to actually make money on them (though I did not buy any for that purpose - they were all my personally riders except the kids bike!)
Old 02-21-18, 10:27 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
The lucky buyer lives in La Quinta, which I believe is just east of Palm Desert and Rancho Mirage, mas dinero.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.