Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Looking for some guidance

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 06:02 PM
kk42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm currently an NCAA d1 cross country and track runner. I run about a 4:08 mile, 8:20 3000 and I think a realistic 5k on the track would be about a 14:30 as it is what I'm training to run in the future. I recently finished my freshman year of college. So what my issue here is that I have just lost interest in racing track. I've always wanted to compete in triathlons and now I'm starting to think making a switch to triathlons isn't as crazy as it used to sound. Im an average swimmer although I've never trained to swim a day in my life and I love cycling and while I have done 20-30mile rides I only ride my fixed gear bike. I'm wondering, do you guys think this is a crazy idea? Do you have any recommendations on how to get started? I'm located in Long Island and from what I see there's plenty of events but can't find any groups I can contact online for advice. How do I even get started in triathlons? I don't know how any of it works other than that you swim bike and run. 3 things that I have great interest in but have never done one before the other.
Old 06-14-17, 01:18 PM
richietables 

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's some quick running! First, just get in the water. Get to a pool and see how you feel with the freestyle. Get some help on how to make a good stroke, get a lesson or two or have a friend take a look if they know what they're doing. Then try to get into some open water. Swimming is VERY different in open water with others around aiming for the same buoys...

As far as the bike; ride whatever you have at first. Why not a fixie? You wouldn't believe what you see folks riding! If you think you'll like doing these races you'll soon enough get the bug and want to look into a tri bike of some kind. Certainly deals can be found on Craig's List or Ebay to get you started.

It's lots of fun and you'll have a blast roasting people on the run!
Old 06-14-17, 03:28 PM
DJH8098

Bikes: 2012 Surly Karate Monkey SS, 2012 Surly Cross Check, 2016 Litespeed T3, 2015 Niner RLT 9SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure that your bike has brakes on it first of all. Any USAT race will make sure that it has front and rear brakes. I would recommend looking on USAT's site as well as the sites of the events near you. There may also be a tri group at your local university. Most of the schools here at least have it as a club sport. You may also try looking into a tri coach in your area, they could at least set you up with a group. I know I recommend a ton of different groups here in Austin to people all the time. Lastly I would go have a chat with your local bike shop, they always have a finger on the tri community pulse if they want to succeed.
Old 06-14-17, 09:00 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by kk42
I'm currently an NCAA d1 cross country and track runner. I run about a 4:08 mile, 8:20 3000 and I think a realistic 5k on the track would be about a 14:30 as it is what I'm training to run in the future.
First off I want to point out that with your running capabilities (i.e. speed)...you could dog paddle the swim, and ride a tricycle on the cycling portion...and STILL beat a lot of people because you'll blow past them on the run. BUT...

In addition to the previous two posters...I will add that 1) you do need to get use to swimming in open water. It's much different than in the pool. You can't see the bottom, lots of chop and waves, many other swimmers in very close proximity, aquatic wildlife, etc. I have seen the best of h.s. and collegiate swimmers just freak out when they get into the open water.

And 2)...I would think that around a D-1 athletics program that there ought to be "someone who knows someone" that is into triathlon and could set you up with a good loaner bike that is optimal for giving the sport a try (pun is not intended). Or possibly even a school triathlon club sport that could help...as suggested.

Beyond those two things...just keep running, and then get in as much time swimming and cycling as you can.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-17, 06:55 PM
btbeth

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others stated above, check out your resources at you school. I found this summary of Tri clubs on LI on another website:

"These are the clubs I would recomend:
team runners edge: https://www.teamrunnersedge.com/
team sunrise tri: https://shop.sunrisetri.com/page/1274
team total training: teamtotaltraining.com
tri and du it, great race organizers seem to have a club going: https://www.triandduit.com/.../tad_Membership.aspx

SBRLI.com is the best and most comprehensive website on LI Tri stuff, although many do not know about it and it tends to be inactive at times. Their list of clubs is https://www.sbrli.com/...aches-and-clubs.html . "

Good Luck!