Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How does one do become a "race mentor" for USAC race?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How does one do become a "race mentor" for USAC race?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 09:17 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I think you're mis-using the term "race mentor" - what you're talking about is not what a race mentor is, at all.
You mean by USAC intent for this program, or for cycling in general?
Old 12-07-17, 09:19 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by arai_speed

Mentor in the race is watching the riders, watching their lines, looking for erratic behavior, etc.

This information is then relayed and discussed in the post-race briefing. You know, tactics & stuff.
Just have a USAC official ride a scooter or motorcycle.
Old 12-07-17, 09:21 PM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Just have a USAC official ride a scooter or motorcycle.
Well....for certain Road Races they do...but that's not done for "mentoring" which is what we are talking about here, no?
Old 12-07-17, 10:06 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
You're thinking about having a personal mentor or coach during the race. This is not that. This is someone to help everyone in the race out to make sure they're all safe and learn from their mistakes (even if they go off the back). It's a good idea so people don't get discouraged and quit (or are less likely to hurt themselves/others). The point you're missing is that it's not to help one person win, it's to help everyone in the race become better racers (or at least get them to act safely and keep coming back). You still don't get to have a personal coach racing right next to you.
Old 12-07-17, 10:44 PM
Radish_legs

Good. I'm glad we have clarified things.

My point on the scooter is, if all the person is going to do is observe, they don't need to be on a bike.
Old 12-08-17, 05:50 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
What I envisioned was someone in the race accomplishing the same thing that a race director in a car following would do. Like having a radio. Sits in the back, maybe moves up the side from time to time to give instructions.

The example given above actually seems to include no in-race mentoring. So what's the point of having a mentor riding in the race? Not much.
You need to go pro, get in a big race, get in a break in that big race, and then what you're envisioning may actually happen.

Until then this is simply something you've completely made up that has no basis or bearing in reality.
Old 12-08-17, 05:54 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
So what's the point of having a mentor riding in the race? Not much.
You mean aside from improving safety and situational awareness?

I suppose nothing.

BTW, how many races have you done now?
Old 12-08-17, 07:08 AM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by gsteinb
You mean aside from improving safety and situational awareness?

I suppose nothing.

BTW, how many races have you done now?
Few enough that I could benefit from someone coaching me up that has more experience.
Old 12-08-17, 07:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era, received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor’s cup full, and then kept on pouring. The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. “It is overfull. No more will go in!”

Like this cup, Nan-in said, you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?
Old 12-08-17, 07:23 AM
Radish_legs

and the idea that experience = wisdom is not always the case.

Maybe one learns something from years and years of watching bike racing. Or maybe that means zilch.
Old 12-08-17, 07:31 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

it's like you're proving my point, or something

you could hire a coach. find someone local and create the sort of dynamic you're looking for.

you've also had a lot of knowledgeable bike racers post to you across multiple threads, including several 1s, but you never seem to display a willingness to listen. it's not a particularly unique dynamic in this online forum, but folks who fall into that pattern ultimately end up being ignored.
Old 12-08-17, 07:36 AM
Radish_legs

what tactical advice have I ignored?

I recall many here pissed off that I raced for something like 8th place in the bunch finish when a breakaway of 6 guys up the road had already won, when I was a lap down due to a late start.

When I examined the rules and demonstrated that I had not broken any rules, this was dismissed by most. I can't say that I knew those rules before the race.

But that's not tactical advice.
Old 12-08-17, 07:38 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

ok.
Old 12-08-17, 07:41 AM
Radish_legs

It's okay to say that you can't remember a danged thing that I have ignored, but you just don't like me. That's called honesty.
Old 12-08-17, 07:44 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

actually, it's called projection.

outside of trying to steer you towards clearer seeing and greater harmony with your surroundings here, I genuinely couldn't care less.
Old 12-08-17, 07:52 AM
Radish_legs

I may not accept advice in a way that you like or appreciate. But I think it's safe to say that I am someone who studies these matters. Probably more than most at my level. And I'm going to chew on things, ask questions, debate, contest points, look for strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think most of my local peers (at my level) have studied all of Aki's race vids. I did not follow advice here to jump into racing immediately. I considered the matter for a long time and prepared. I knew something about the scene in my first race, like who the best racers are the 4/5 level were locally, even though I had never raced and didn't personally know those riders. And used that information to my advantage.

"This is a guy who doesn't listen to anyone and doesn't study these things." I don't think that applies to me. Not that I care or anyone else cares. Like I said, I couldn't even get a facebook kudo from my mom for winning a race. This stuff doesn't really matter much, even to the people in the middle of it.
Old 12-08-17, 08:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
RL - Gstein is pretty spot on. You ask questions. Get an answer. Then you immediately dispute that answer. If you want an example, look back through this thread. It implies an unwillingness to learn.

Perhaps you could try a different approach. Instead of contesting the answers provided, maybe try asking follow up questions to get to a different point or further clarity.
Old 12-08-17, 08:51 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
not everything needs to be debated and have points contested. I have a coworker who does that and basically no one (including myself) will actively seek to work with him on anything. I get asked questions, I provide responses and then get a response trying to refute what I said because I'm not validating his preconceived notions.

I see that attitude here causing unwillingness to engage with you if people are trying to correct your understanding of things and you keep harping on misconceptions that folks here are trying to correct. if you find in your professional life that you get similar attitudes from colleagues, i would suggest looking at yourself to see what's causing it
Old 12-08-17, 09:38 AM
Radish_legs

Yeah, it took a while for it to become clear that this race mentorship thing is merely "how to race safe" without any focus on real-time tactics.
Old 12-08-17, 12:07 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

This is a hell of an article on a friend of mine, who's a really good coach and all around nice guy. I've sent a bunch of people to do fits with him, as well as made recommendations to folks who could meet him in flesh and blood to go over tactics.

The sport is short on glamor

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/12/the-...ry-bike-racer/
Old 12-08-17, 05:39 PM
Radish_legs

This is a hell of an article on a friend of mine, who's a really good coach and all around nice guy. I've sent a bunch of people to do fits with him, as well as made recommendations to folks who could meet him in flesh and blood to go over tactics.

I'm trying to be an ego-less bike rider/racer. Someone who does it for enjoyment. I'm looking forward to the team tactics part of racing this next season, and as strange as it sounds for someone with little experience, also mentoring some of my teammates who have less experience.
Old 12-08-17, 08:53 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts

This article really hit a nail for me. Well written. I felt like I knew Elliston by the end.

I feel like I've heard his name thrown around even though I don't think I've ever met him or had any interaction with the east coast racing scene. Can't put a finger on it.

I think this article just about sums up what everyone here wants in this sport. It's not the glory or recognition but the lifestyle it brings. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-09-17, 11:23 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I've been an unofficial mentor in races here and there, really there to help whoever. Cat 3 in a 3-4-5 race, and intent on NOT winning the race. I'm not strong enough to sit to the side and such so my mentoring was simply to set a good example. I'd hold good lines, I tried to write some blog posts on racing better (this was 2014, during the Tues Night Rent races), and ended up with three clips of the races.

Granted I was in my team's uniform, and in the clips it's obvious I was working for my teammates most of the time. However, I would try to encourage other riders, close gaps as gently as possible, do leadouts for other riders, etc. One big thing I wanted to impress on the newer riders is just how hard riders go toward the end of a race. I'm always amazed at how fast things get at the end of the races I do, it's quite shocking sometimes, even for me.

So things I'd do include:
- try to hold a good line through a turn. Mention to others some tips ("don't brake" or "brake less" is a common one). Many riders don't realize that simply being gentle through a turn is enough. I'd also try to corner "in formation" with some of the slightly more experienced riders (like a more solid 5 or a 4) so that they get used to cornering in parallel with someone nearby. Newer riders often don't know how to corner, meaning their reading/lessons don't match their real world experience, so it's important to get them to settle down, try to learn the real world stuff.

- get riders to read the wind. I'd tell some riders to sit to the sheltered side of the rider in front, trying to be loud so others would hear. I'd see those other riders duly sit a bit more to the left or right on the next lap. The Rent is ideal for this kind of work since there's almost never a direct headwind, it's almost always a significant crosswind on certain parts of the course. New riders (and experienced ones) will typically sit behind the next rider "to draft", but in a crosswind it's critical to sit in shelter, not on the wheel.

- get riders to close gaps immediately. Sometimes I'd give them a little helping push, but most of the time I'd either go and close the gap or tell them to close the last 5 feet or whatever. New riders tend to lose focus and let minor but fatal gaps go. I would try to get them to pay attention a bit more.

- when I knew a particular rider was following me I'd try to be especially smooth, pedal a bit through turns (to show them it's possible), etc. Typically these were riders that were looking to learn something by following me, and often they or their parents (or both) would ask me questions after the race. When a rider shows a desire to learn, even if just by following, I'll do my best to be a good/better bike racer.

- I'd try to do some kind of a leadout although my last minute choosing of who to lead out typically meant a really disorganized leadout. Sometimes I'd talk to one or two guys that I thought could use a good leadout to learn how to finish off a sprint, but typically things wouldn't work out, like they were in a break or they were toast or whatever. I'd try and adjust and tell someone else (usually another Junior) to get on my wheel. I'd even just announce "I'm leading out the sprint" and get to the front and try to set a good pace until the sprint would start. Newer riders tend to get over-excited at the bell and wither as the final moves go. It's better to have them wait just a bit more before unleashing their final efforts. My leadouts would also string out the field, a request from the head official, as a 4-5 wide last turn would be less predictable than a single file last corner. I'd do pretty hard leadouts for this reason, to try and reduce the clumping at the end of the race.

To be fair there were official mentors in later years, like this year and I think last year. They'd keep pace with some of the younger/weaker riders (often younger Juniors) and basically work a paceline with them. In the last couple years I've really backed out of the scene so I'm not one of the formal mentors like that.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-11-17, 09:30 AM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I've been an unofficial mentor in races here and there, really there to help whoever. Cat 3 in a 3-4-5 race, and intent on NOT winning the race. I'm not strong enough to sit to the side and such so my mentoring was simply to set a good example. I'd hold good lines, I tried to write some blog posts on racing better (this was 2014, during the Tues Night Rent races), and ended up with three clips of the races.

Granted I was in my team's uniform, and in the clips it's obvious I was working for my teammates most of the time. However, I would try to encourage other riders, close gaps as gently as possible, do leadouts for other riders, etc. One big thing I wanted to impress on the newer riders is just how hard riders go toward the end of a race. I'm always amazed at how fast things get at the end of the races I do, it's quite shocking sometimes, even for me.

So things I'd do include:
- try to hold a good line through a turn. Mention to others some tips ("don't brake" or "brake less" is a common one). Many riders don't realize that simply being gentle through a turn is enough. I'd also try to corner "in formation" with some of the slightly more experienced riders (like a more solid 5 or a 4) so that they get used to cornering in parallel with someone nearby. Newer riders often don't know how to corner, meaning their reading/lessons don't match their real world experience, so it's important to get them to settle down, try to learn the real world stuff.

- get riders to read the wind. I'd tell some riders to sit to the sheltered side of the rider in front, trying to be loud so others would hear. I'd see those other riders duly sit a bit more to the left or right on the next lap. The Rent is ideal for this kind of work since there's almost never a direct headwind, it's almost always a significant crosswind on certain parts of the course. New riders (and experienced ones) will typically sit behind the next rider "to draft", but in a crosswind it's critical to sit in shelter, not on the wheel.

- get riders to close gaps immediately. Sometimes I'd give them a little helping push, but most of the time I'd either go and close the gap or tell them to close the last 5 feet or whatever. New riders tend to lose focus and let minor but fatal gaps go. I would try to get them to pay attention a bit more.

- when I knew a particular rider was following me I'd try to be especially smooth, pedal a bit through turns (to show them it's possible), etc. Typically these were riders that were looking to learn something by following me, and often they or their parents (or both) would ask me questions after the race. When a rider shows a desire to learn, even if just by following, I'll do my best to be a good/better bike racer.

- I'd try to do some kind of a leadout although my last minute choosing of who to lead out typically meant a really disorganized leadout. Sometimes I'd talk to one or two guys that I thought could use a good leadout to learn how to finish off a sprint, but typically things wouldn't work out, like they were in a break or they were toast or whatever. I'd try and adjust and tell someone else (usually another Junior) to get on my wheel. I'd even just announce "I'm leading out the sprint" and get to the front and try to set a good pace until the sprint would start. Newer riders tend to get over-excited at the bell and wither as the final moves go. It's better to have them wait just a bit more before unleashing their final efforts. My leadouts would also string out the field, a request from the head official, as a 4-5 wide last turn would be less predictable than a single file last corner. I'd do pretty hard leadouts for this reason, to try and reduce the clumping at the end of the race.

To be fair there were official mentors in later years, like this year and I think last year. They'd keep pace with some of the younger/weaker riders (often younger Juniors) and basically work a paceline with them. In the last couple years I've really backed out of the scene so I'm not one of the formal mentors like that.
Was the experience positive for you? What did you get out of the experience? Why would you say others might want to do this as well?
Old 12-11-17, 11:31 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I think this article just about sums up what everyone here wants in this sport. It's not the glory or recognition but the lifestyle it brings. Thanks for sharing!
+1 great article - never heard of the guy until now, but sounds pretty awesome.

my race videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.