Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Is it a good idea to skip the first crit of the season?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 10:48 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts

In the trainerroad podcast they talked about how the first (or the first few crits) of the season are the very most dangerous.

That was borne out in my experience this past year. There was a pretty major crash in the last turn of my crit. The 4/5 crit. First of the season.

And then the 3/4 race that happened just after was described by some of my friends as one of the scariest, sketchiest races they had ever been in.

Both races had their largest fields in that first week. In the 4/5 there were plenty that were dropped pretty soon after the race got going, and folks all over the course.

But at the same time, the energy is the greatest at the beginning of the season I think. Looking back, the fields were the most competitive and talented at the beginning of the season.

What's your opinion on skipping these very early races, and joining in after the herd get thinned?
Old 12-07-17, 11:42 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
every race is sketchy
Old 12-07-17, 11:56 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Does not seem to me that folks start getting good ideas until later in life. If you are not as good as other - that helps with the smarts.
Old 12-08-17, 01:06 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i think there's some truth there. but I don't think it's enough reason to sway me, personally. there's a probability of crashing every single time. you can minimize it by knowing your competitors (who's good wheel, who's not), having good reaction time and handling, staying near the front and race smart. you're right in that the first races generally have bigger fields with a lot of wannabes. so long as you don't let them get in your way, it shouldn't be a problem
Old 12-08-17, 06:03 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I didn't realize there were ever any 4/5 races that weren't prone to outlandishly sketchy and dangerous behavior.
Old 12-08-17, 06:42 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Just stay at the front and you have nothing to worry about
Old 12-08-17, 08:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
We put on an early season race every year. While I haven't tracked it, I don't recall there being a significantly larger number of crashes in those races than later ones.

I will say that a lot of guys show up expecting to trounce the field and get some upgrade points, but it rarely proves to be an easy points grab.
Old 12-08-17, 09:20 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
You may be right, but I do think that way of thinking is counterproductive. Really if its a concern, line up and go on a break, blow yourself up and sit up at the end. If you end up in the pack, ride on the edges, towards the front.

That being said, I won't race Ladera Ranch. 3 years, 3 teammates, 3 ambulance trips.
Old 12-08-17, 09:32 AM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I didn't realize there were ever any 4/5 races that weren't prone to outlandishly sketchy and dangerous behavior.
my experience (limited) in 4/5 crits locally was that they felt reasonably safe. However the main crit that I do is kind of like an oval, so perhaps that helps. But it's also the one that I described as being the most unsafe on the first race of the season.
Old 12-08-17, 12:08 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@JJ121591 Get in here!

IMO, skip it. Seen some stupid crashes in the early season that can mess up large swathes of the rest of your season.
Old 12-08-17, 12:28 PM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Socal we seem to have races all year round.

Last crit of the 2017 season is Dec 10th (excluding training races). First crit for the 2018 season is January 14th.

I think like Matt mentioned, every race is sketch.
Old 12-08-17, 01:04 PM
JJ121591

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
@JJ121591 Get in here!

IMO, skip it. Seen some stupid crashes in the early season that can mess up large swathes of the rest of your season.
LOL. last year i trained my FACE OFF all winter - entered the first crit of the year (a combined field) and dudes slid out in a corner halfway through the race. i remember seeing an upside-down bike in front of me and the next thing i knew i heard the sound of my collarbone crunching.

NEVER AGAIN. notworththerisk/10
Old 12-08-17, 01:08 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
In 2012 a guy clipped his pedal in the last turn of a memorial weekend classic taking himself out and me with him. I shattered my elbow, had major reconstructive surgery, and 9 months of OT.

It's an inherently dangerous sport, and crashes can happen on any Sunday.

One advantage of the spring races is the fields tend to be smaller.
Old 12-08-17, 01:18 PM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Gambler's Fallacy:

"...the belief that, if something happens more frequently than normal during some period [early season crashing], it will happen less frequently in the future... [late season crashing]"
Old 12-08-17, 01:31 PM
Nooner
If you brake you dont win

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy 9.8, Cervelo S3, Kona Big Honzo, Cannondale R500, DiamondBack Apex, one storage unit my wife knows nothing about, and one ball crushing unicycle for kicks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't raced in any crit thus far that did not have some sort of sketchiness at one point or another.
Mountain bike racing seems safer sometimes...
Old 12-08-17, 05:15 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by gsteinb
In 2012 a guy clipped his pedal in the last turn of a memorial weekend classic taking himself out and me with him. I shattered my elbow, had major reconstructive surgery, and 9 months of OT.

It's an inherently dangerous sport, and crashes can happen on any Sunday.

One advantage of the spring races is the fields tend to be smaller.
Our late summer 100 degree crits are smaller. Spring are the largest.
Old 12-08-17, 10:50 PM
cold turtle
neo-poster

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2018 Specialized Tarmac SL6 Pro; Cannondale Slice RS

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
People just think the first crit is sketchier because they've forgotten how sketchy crits are during their time off from racing.
Old 12-09-17, 08:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Can we please stop with the Crits are sketchy nonsense. Crits are no more dangerous than road races. In fact, I'd argue they are less dangerous with fewer crashes than RRs.

Yes, some events can be sketchy. Some courses are less safe than others. Some racers are less safe than others (hence the reason for the Mentor program). But this blanket assumption that crits are by nature dangerous or sketchy is just ridiculous.
Old 12-09-17, 09:28 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,658 Posts
I skip the first crit, track night and Fiesta Island "worlds" ride every year in San Diego. Maybe even the first two. Higher incidence of crashes IME. Same reason I no longer race big crits like Dana and Manhattan Beach.
Old 12-09-17, 12:27 PM
hammer down

Bikes: Specialized Venge

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
my experience (limited) in 4/5 crits locally was that they felt reasonably safe. However the main crit that I do is kind of like an oval, so perhaps that helps. But it's also the one that I described as being the most unsafe on the first race of the season.
Was going to say this (Radish and I compete in the same crits). I never felt unsafe in either of the major crits in this area last year, granted I started a couple months into the season.
Old 12-09-17, 02:22 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JJ121591
LOL. last year i trained my FACE OFF all winter - entered the first crit of the year (a combined field) and dudes slid out in a corner halfway through the race. i remember seeing an upside-down bike in front of me and the next thing i knew i heard the sound of my collarbone crunching.

NEVER AGAIN. notworththerisk/10
with all due respect didn't you also get hurt in a race in the middle of the season? not trying to add insult to injury, i'm just not sure if early races are inherently more dangerous. bike racing is a dangerous endeavor and if you want to race you should race.
Old 12-09-17, 02:45 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
When I had the Series one thing I noticed was that the early races tended to have three groups of racers - the ones that were fit and wanted to win/do-well, the ones that were out to finish off their winter training, and the ones working hard simply to hang on. If I were one of the fit ones I would sit in until near the end of the race and go deep toward the end. This meant taking a chance getting caught behind a crash but since I wasn't in the thick of the action I really wasn't where a crash might take me out. This is my typical approach to most crits, sit at the back and go into the risk zone only for a few laps. Generally it works pretty well.

As the Series from early March into mid April the racers got more and more fit and it would usually get harder and harder for me to get to the finish or do well.

By the first non-Series race I was at the point where I had work hard simply to stay in races.

I'd notice the next bump up in overall fitness/strength around August, right after of a series of races in June/July for which many racers peaked. After their peak they're not only very strong but also much more relaxed, much more willing to work. It was less serious, sort of, and so they'd make big moves etc. I did that too, actually, on my good years, but when I was below par August usually ended my season. I remember one year I had 3 DNFs in a week and change and that was that.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-11-17, 03:24 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Can we please stop with the Crits are sketchy nonsense. Crits are no more dangerous than road races. In fact, I'd argue they are less dangerous with fewer crashes than RRs.
It depends...
I see more crashes in crits. I have more video of crashes in crits.

I am more scared there will be a more serious accident in a RR, but I don't think they are as likely. What crits don't have is 50+mph sections, or cars both common to RRs.

In the RR the selections may happen as soon as the 1st serious climb. No hills - is it really a RR? And with that, the smaller groups tend to be closer to the same ability/experience/fitness/handling.
Old 12-11-17, 03:50 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
When I had the Series one thing I noticed was that the early races tended to have three groups of racers - the ones that were fit and wanted to win/do-well, the ones that were out to finish off their winter training, and the ones working hard simply to hang on. If I were one of the fit ones I would sit in until near the end of the race and go deep toward the end. This meant taking a chance getting caught behind a crash but since I wasn't in the thick of the action I really wasn't where a crash might take me out. This is my typical approach to most crits, sit at the back and go into the risk zone only for a few laps. Generally it works pretty well.

As the Series from early March into mid April the racers got more and more fit and it would usually get harder and harder for me to get to the finish or do well.

By the first non-Series race I was at the point where I had work hard simply to stay in races.

I'd notice the next bump up in overall fitness/strength around August, right after of a series of races in June/July for which many racers peaked. After their peak they're not only very strong but also much more relaxed, much more willing to work. It was less serious, sort of, and so they'd make big moves etc. I did that too, actually, on my good years, but when I was below par August usually ended my season. I remember one year I had 3 DNFs in a week and change and that was that.
The office park was like 100% ideal for early season racing. Wide sweeping corners, could focus on getting used to riding in a pack after solo winter miles. You should quit your job and deal with ungrateful racers and worry about how you're going to pay your bills so New England can benefit from the CDR spring series again.
Old 12-11-17, 03:59 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
There was a corner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.