Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Comfort on long rides

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Comfort on long rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 11:56 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkatt4x4
I was riding my Townie 21D Electra for 50-75km a day, very rarely did I pedal, all electric. I loved the seat, until it broke, 375lbs here. Now I got me an older springy seat and will see how long that lasts. I plan to ride this bike from AB to BC, then BC to East Coast, charity run.
I think I know what BC is, but not AB.
Old 04-17-18, 11:50 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I think I did five centuries, including a 200k, on my Worksman cruiser.
I had straighter handlebars on it, used the stock saddle, worked okay. The stock handlebars, if you lean into them, your hands can slide down the grips, and it helps if the grips are at more of an angle.
I wouldn't assume that olden-days long-distance rides were on the equivalent of today's cruisers. For example, the normal Raleigh rod-brake bikes use 1-1/2" tires, not the 2-1/4" balloon tires, and you'll see a lot of the old pictures where people used bigger frames (zero stand-over clearance, or less), use the mustache-style handlebars, etc. Even in the "all steel" days, people did make some effort to minimize weight, too, so they weren't all as heavy as the heaviest ones now.
Here's Tommy Godwin back in the 30's doing long-distance riding- and that ain't no beach cruiser he's on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
godwin_record_tommy6.jpg (72.1 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-15-18, 09:02 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,409 Posts
I appreciate this thread. I've wanted to get more of a 'cruiser' type bike, as I mainly just have older 10 speed type bicycles right now.

The picture above is interesting. My thought was always that a cruiser would be more comfortable because it is more upright. Well, I suppose that's right, at least for a while. How someone can keep that posture (in the above picture) for 100 miles boggles my mind. I hold that position for a few minutes and my neck starts feeling strained. So naturally, a cruiser seems more apt to be comfort-oriented. But even just today, having my seat adjusted a little too far back (on a regular double triangle frame), I could feel it in my knees, from having the cranks farther forward. Also, thinking about an extreme upright position, means that so much more weight is placed away from the hands and more towards the seat. So it makes sense that when I sat completely upright on my B17, whoa...a LOT more pressure. So I guess a balanced approach would be wise.

Again, thanks for this thread and shedding some light on the 'cruiser comfort' topic.
Old 05-16-18, 06:41 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
If it's the legs and back hurting it's definitely fit. Your legs are probably cramped. I used to ride my schwinn cruiser 20+ miles all the time so it is not the cruiser idea itself either.