Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tandem recumbent trikes

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Tandem recumbent trikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 10:09 AM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Tandem recumbent trikes

greetings: this is an inquiry for all of you with thoughts regarding tandem recumbent trikes. presently, i have a davinci tandem grand junction, with ICS. love it. however, as my wife and i beginning to encounter physical issues associated with getting older, i am exploring trading to a tandem recumbent trike. i'm in the very early stages of information gathering, so reaching out to those of you with experience with tandem recumbent trikes, and general thoughts on the matter.

to be a little more specific, this trike would need to be loaded touring-capable.

any inputs are welcome. thanks.
Old 12-19-17, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Try Custom?, modify a steel Green-speed* tadople, with several S and S couplers , to add the stoker .

It will be super long , and so unwieldly unless it can come apart to ship.

*they're an Australian company, contact them , they have dealers in the North , like USA..
Old 12-19-17, 02:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I have never seen a tandem trike. Do they exist?

I saw a solo recumbent trike that was pulling a two wheeled trailer, that two wheeled trailer had a person on it and the trailer rider had his own pedals to drive his trailer wheels. It sure looked weird but that is the closest thing I have ever seen to a tandem recumbent trike. Combined, it had a total of five wheels. Since each pedaler had their own drive train, more maintenance, but each could pedal at their own cadence. The one I saw was not on a tour, no luggage but I suspect that the luggage could be figured out somehow.
Old 12-19-17, 03:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
curious if you want a side by side recumbent tandem or if it would be an in-line recumbent tandem.
Old 12-19-17, 05:20 PM
adablduya

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
curious if you want a side by side recumbent tandem or if it would be an in-line recumbent tandem.
no, but thanks for the thought !
Old 12-19-17, 07:47 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
... a tandem recumbent trike.....would need to be loaded touring-capable....
anything that massive would likely be unsuitable for anything other than dedicated
cycling paths. even then would be a hindrance for other cyclists, and a nightmare
with logistics.

never heard of anything exactly like that, prolly need to buy custom.
these guys have a 4-seater model, rear bench could be removed, replaced with
a storage area, unless you want to add a trailer!

Old 12-19-17, 08:14 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this site. Greenspeed Recumbent Trikes - GTT tandem trike

Good luck. Mike
Old 12-19-17, 08:45 PM
RickL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We had a similar problem due to a back injury my wife got in a car accident. We chose to get a pair of coupled delta trikes described in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...ta-trikes.html

I'm still not sure if we shouldn't have spent the extra money for the Greenspeeds, but they were expensive enough as it was. We have wished we had the differential on more than one occasion.

We haven't toured with them yet (but we will) but so far we are quite satisfied. We are resigned to having to use a trailer for touring since we can't think of any way to carry more than one pannier. The other thing, that may or may not matter to you, is that they are noticeably slower than our Rodriguez tandem, probably 5 to 7 kph.

One advantage over a dedicated tandem is that the trikes can be used separately. We didn't have to buy my wife another bike for when she wants to ride solo. And they are noticeably more comfortable.
Old 12-19-17, 09:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We aren't getting any younger, but my stoker and I greatly enjoy our recumbent Screamer. Not a trike. You didn't explain why a trike would seem to be the solution to your issues.
We haven't done loaded touring, but the addition of an underseat rack would allow us to carry more than with just the RANS rear rack.
BABK0063 - SCREAMER
Old 12-19-17, 10:38 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't have any direct experience with them, but the TerraTrike 'Pro' and 'Rover' tandems look like reasonable designs and they can have the independent pedaling option you're used to:
TerraTrike
Haven't seen one loaded for touring, but seems like it could take a pretty standard rear rack and some additional bags could probably be attached to the seats. Or one could use a trailer for carrying gear.
Old 12-19-17, 11:24 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Haven't tried myself but these look pretty good if a bit $$. I'd wonder about frame flex though, tandem recumbents look a lot longer than upright tandems.

TerraTrike
Old 12-20-17, 12:01 PM
adablduya

Originally Posted by JanMM
We aren't getting any younger, but my stoker and I greatly enjoy our recumbent Screamer. Not a trike. You didn't explain why a trike would seem to be the solution to your issues.
We haven't done loaded touring, but the addition of an underseat rack would allow us to carry more than with just the RANS rear rack.
BABK0063 - SCREAMER
thanks for you reply, but not sure what you were intending to add by it. i am specifically looking for info regarding a recumbent trike, and don't find it necessary to explain why.
Old 12-20-17, 12:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
TerraTrike makes at least one model. Doesn't look capable of supporting racks and panniers (cannot imagine one that could), but maybe contact them and inquire about trailer use.
Old 12-20-17, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Types like Green speed and Terra trike can be a challenge to get down low enough to sit in it and get up from,

But there may be additional accessories to help you pull your self up from those low center of gravity seats.

I have seen them on other recumbent trike builds...

gear in a cargo bike trailer for your camping gear, etc., solves the rack & pannier issue..

Old 12-20-17, 02:26 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Triple duplicate threads merged. Please do not cross post.
Old 12-20-17, 06:43 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

thanks for you reply, but not sure what you were intending to add by it. i am specifically looking for info regarding a recumbent trike, and don't find it necessary to explain why.
OK. You know what you want. I have no experience with trikes.
Old 12-20-17, 07:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
I actually saw a couple pedaling one of these up a grade in one of the Western states. They were going below walking speed. We were at a pullout, had a snack, took photos, etc. They were within conversational distance the entire time, churning away. Hope the downhill was more fun....
Old 12-20-17, 09:33 PM
adablduya

Originally Posted by JanMM
OK. You know what you want. I have no experience with trikes.
With all due respect, if you have no experience with trikes, why would you post any response at all on the subject ?
Old 12-20-17, 10:01 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

With all due respect, if you have no experience with trikes, why would you post any response at all on the subject ?
This is a recumbent forum - I have experience with recumbent tandem bikes. Not unusual for someone new to recumbents to have the expectation that a 'bent trike is more comfortable than a 'bent bike, whether single or tandem. The comfort aspect is generally about the same for both. But, if that is not your reason for looking into tandem trikes, there are of course differences between the two styles that make a trike more desirable and useful for some tandem teams. I have seen tandem trikes and coupled trikes being enjoyed by teams on several Hilly Hundred tours and at Midwest Tandem Rallys.
Old 12-20-17, 10:34 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
any inputs are welcome. thanks.
Apparently not.
Old 12-21-17, 01:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's not hard to guess why a trike. Trikes have two strengths. They have a reduced chance of falling over in most situations, and they are lower to the ground. A tandem lowracer would be an oddity and probably hard to ride, too. I believe the Greenspeed tandem trike, the GTT, is considered the 'standard.' That's the extent of my knowledge. Unless you have more specific questions...
Old 12-21-17, 01:50 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
You know, my wife and I did the recumbent tandem trike thing for a few years, but I've decide not to share my experiences. I don't indulge rude people.
Old 12-21-17, 03:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
You know, my wife and I did the recumbent tandem trike thing for a few years, but I've decide not to share my experiences. I don't indulge rude people.
Thank you!
Old 12-22-17, 02:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Thanks, Steamer. That did need saying. I've seen it before, someone looking into recumbent trikes because they didn't even know recumbent *bikes* existed. Hard for me to believe, but true! Jan was only trying to see if he COULD help.
Old 12-22-17, 07:45 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

In the spirit of Xmas.. ....I hope the OP and his stoker find something that works for them.
Maybe Santa will deliver the goods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.