Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Travel case for track bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 08:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
Club mate had a Trico Iron case I picked up for $75. Even if I don't use it figured I couldn't go wrong at that price. It definitely is sturdy... and I think with proper padding/taping everything so it doesn't move, it'd be pretty hard for TSA to put it back in any way but correctly. A friend has the Biknd Helium he said I could borrow as well. It looks great but I see a good number of folk have had trouble with the air pockets deflating.

Speaking of Biknd, the Oxygen wheel bag looks like a good setup to take the Discs in since they are separate from each other. It seems like that or the Triall3 Wheel safe pro are the options that would fit... Anyone got thoughts on that? (I guess the Oxygen has the same concern as the Helium)
I've used that case. I used it to fly back and forth to Bermuda when I worked a project there for a long time and took my sweet fixie (2004 Pista Concept, before I started racing). No complaints (except that I learned about how to pay Duties the hard way...). It's basically a rectangular space with egg crate padding. No predefined spaces for stuff. So, simply pack carefully.

1 note: Make sure to use spacers for both the fork and rear track ends to keep them from getting smushed. A front can be obtained from any bike shop for free. They come with new bikes before they build them. Most shops just chuck them into the trash. The rear won't work on your track bike. The rear is 130mm. Your track ends are 120mm. If you jam the 130mm into 120mm track ends, you are stretching it 10mm wider than it's designed to sit. So, you will have to fashion one yourself. When I bought my 2 Tiemeyers, Mr. Tiemeyer simply whittled them out of a wooden dowel.

Last edited by carleton; 01-23-18 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-23-18, 08:24 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Thanks, good to hear. It seems like a tough box to screw up so long is it isn't loaded down with tons of free moving crap
I was thinking just a threaded rod, 4 nuts and some washers would do a fair job.

(Good time to mention that I find it odd that the Track Elite has carbon dropouts in the fork. Seems like slightly silly bling...)
Old 01-27-18, 07:25 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
1 note: Make sure to use spacers for both the fork and rear track ends to keep them from getting smushed. A front can be obtained from any bike shop for free. They come with new bikes before they build them. Most shops just chuck them into the trash. The rear won't work on your track bike. The rear is 130mm. Your track ends are 120mm. If you jam the 130mm into 120mm track ends, you are stretching it 10mm wider than it's designed to sit. So, you will have to fashion one yourself. When I bought my 2 Tiemeyers, Mr. Tiemeyer simply whittled them out of a wooden dowel.
I've been making them out of PVC sprinkler pipe lately. It's cheap and easy to cut to length, then I use a QR to hold it in place. I also tend to have random bits of it around for sprinkler repairs. It may be harder to find in places where it actually rains sometimes - I don't think I ever noticed it before I moved to LA.