Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bonking at the end of brevets: solid foods and other nutrition strategies

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Bonking at the end of brevets: solid foods and other nutrition strategies

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 02:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I can keep eating my pies though, can't I? Thats pretty much the only reason I do these stupid rides.

For me, it's the carrot cake. The bakeries here in Australia have some great carrot cake.
Old 02-08-18, 03:25 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
For me, it's the carrot cake. The bakeries here in Australia have some great carrot cake.
Too right, can be found in most cafes here, though it pays not to be the last rider in.
Old 02-17-18, 05:03 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
As i bit into the first one I felt a just excruciating pain from both salivary glands, kicking into action after I guess completely shutting down. It lasted several bites into the pizza, then diminished. This happened after last year's 400k and 600k as well.
I experienced this after yesterdays 10 hr ride. Really ruined the pizza.
Old 02-18-18, 08:35 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been reading the nutritional advice on this subforum for a few years now, and to the extent one followed it, it has done me more harm than good. Nutrition works best for me when I go my own pace, don't think about food, and eat anything and everything that looks appetizing at the time
Very true. There is no such thing as the "right nutrition" or "wrong food." For any given cyclist in any given situation - every ride, and every rider presents a unique challenge.

Why not revisit the big picture and remember the generalities that always apply - to all situations?

1. As exercise intensity increases - the athlete's digestive processes decrease.

2. As the length of an exercise/event increases the more important it becomes to moderate consumption.

Most cyclists like to believe they have discovered some secret nutritional formula for successful riding.

But the truth behind the really successful cyclists in knowing how hard to ride - and knowing how much and when to eat.
Old 02-18-18, 09:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I dunno, I learned a lot about nutrition in here. Granted, mostly to give me a direction to head in, and then learning what works for me. Eating is definitely easier if you are in better shape. Lots of things are. But that seems like a tautology at best.

I was struck by the difference conditioning has on eating on last year's fleche. In the past, I have not been ready to ride 225 miles when it comes to fleche weekend, but last year I had really worked on the trainer. Many times, I have finished the fleche after barely eating at all. Two years ago, I had a couple of sips of hot chocolate as my only nutrition over about 100 miles, that's all I could get down. And at the beginning of that 100 mile stretch, I ate some French fries and a coke, that was all I could stand to eat. Basically, to get by on that you have to soft-pedal or blow up pretty easily. Last year, I was eating whatever I wanted, it was a lot more pleasant. And one of the other guys who is in a lot faster than me was complaining about not being able to eat. My response? "order some french fries"

Last edited by unterhausen; 02-18-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-18-18, 04:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Oh, I didn't mean to imply I got bad advice, or that I followed it correctly. More likely I followed it in a haphazard way, achieving a poor compromise between what works for someone else and what works for me, and the result was something that didn't work for me.

We are not all the same. In the last year I've spent a lot of time with @jlippinbike (he has driven me to many randonnees) and it is clear that we disagree on almost everything, including diet. It is abundantly clear that his nutrition plan works for him, probably a lot better better than my plan (if you could say I have a plan at all) works for me. I'm not about to adopt his plan, though.
Old 02-18-18, 05:57 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think one of the things one might learn here is to actually consider a nutritional plan of some sort. In the past my plan mainly consisted of "carb up" beforehand but the longer one rides pre loading starts to fail to replenish ongoing demand.
Old 02-19-18, 03:06 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
Ride nutritioin for me tends to turn into "things to look for at controls." The country store after a couple hours is easy --OJ, maybe a fried cherry or an oatmeal pie. Mid- to late afternoon is harder; go for protein (Subway steak sandwich) or a large order of fries?

Best tip I ever got was a bowl of chicken noodle soup. It was loaded with enough salt to replenish me after a hot day's ride, and made me thirsty enough to chug a couple bottles of fluid.
Old 02-20-18, 03:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan and I rode a 200 km on Sunday (actually 215 km) and this is what worked for me ...

A large slice of banana bread and a banana for breakfast.
A 180 cal granola bar and a banana at the 54 km point.
Two small lemon tarts at the 107 km point.
Two citrus-cream ice bars (Splice and a mango bar) with 54 km to go.

Plus coke at each stop.
Plus 4 Anzac biscuits.
Plus several raspberry gummy lollies ... quite a few of these, actually.

It's possible we could have added a bag of potato chips to that because it was really hot, but we had quite a few electrolyte tablets, so we were probably OK. Only a hint of cramping toward the end.

And a bowl of chicken oriental noodles plus some cashews really hit the spot at the end of the ride.
Old 02-20-18, 05:09 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Very true. There is no such thing as the "right nutrition" or "wrong food." For any given cyclist in any given situation - every ride, and every rider presents a unique challenge.

Why not revisit the big picture and remember the generalities that always apply - to all situations?

1. As exercise intensity increases - the athlete's digestive processes decrease.

2. As the length of an exercise/event increases the more important it becomes to moderate consumption.

Most cyclists like to believe they have discovered some secret nutritional formula for successful riding.

But the truth behind the really successful cyclists in knowing how hard to ride - and knowing how much and when to eat.
Very good summary.
Old 06-10-18, 04:39 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
After January's 200k I picked up pizza on the drive home, ate one slice (which was delicious) and went to bed.

Two hours later I woke up hungry, went down to the kitchen, warmed up two slices, mmmm, anticipation!

As i bit into the first one I felt a just excruciating pain from both salivary glands, kicking into action after I guess completely shutting down. It lasted several bites into the pizza, then diminished. This happened after last year's 400k and 600k as well.

My wife says she had that too, many years ago, while nursing the babies. I can't imagine how that's relevant, but there it is.

Anyway, is this a common phenomenon? Is it bad, it is it a symptom of something bad, or is it merely unpleasant (and yes, it is very unpleasant)?

Whatever it is, it did not happen to me after yesterday's 200k.
Same thing happened to me today after riding a 400k yesterday. I got a cheeseburger for lunch, and the first couple of bites were excruciating pain which was completely gone by the end of lunch.
Old 06-12-18, 06:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
that's weird, I have never had anything like that. I usually have a very limited appetite after a long ride, but the next day I have always been fine.