Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is folding bike a good choice for commuting ?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-04-18, 06:33 PM
MJBikes99

Bikes: Trek Domane, Dahon EEZZ, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone commuting with a folding bike? what brand are you riding ?
Old 02-04-18, 07:53 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Depends on your commute and what your bike storage options are at either end. I'd never choose a folder unless I was restricted in ways that didn't allow a standard bike.
Old 02-04-18, 09:10 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I tried a folding bike with an interest in using it for commuting, but I just don't like how the overly small tires handle. They squirm, the ride isn't great, and they're noteably slower.

Obviously there might be a situation where it wouldn't matter, like if I was just riding a half mile to take a bus downtown or a short trip like that.

I can't see myself using any of the tiny tired versions though. 24" would be the smallest I'd be willing to do. They make some 26" models. Montague makes some 29ers, though their quality level on the one Montague someone I knew was a bit awful (the crank arm broke - the solid metal crank arm that should be nearly impossible to break, a few other things slowly fell apart and broke on the bike as well).
Old 02-04-18, 09:38 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Yes. 2013 Brompton S6L-X. Compact size makes it easy to park,
integrated fenders help a lot in the rain/snow.
Bike To Work by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-05-18, 12:34 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've taken a Dahon Speed D7 to the office a couple of times. Slower and less comfortable than my Stromer, but doable in a pinch. What's your reason for wanting a folder for the commute?
Old 02-05-18, 12:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Unlike #3 poster, I'm fine with the 16" wheels on my Brompton.. thing that makes a big difference is

their front bag with some stuff in it, the weight steadies the steering..

I have front pannier racks on my 20" wheel Bike Friday , too..

'
Old 02-05-18, 03:01 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I did use my folding bike (BF Pocket Rocket) for my commute for quite a few years even though there was never a reason to fold it. Just happened to be the bike with the most convenient bag for my commute things. Although not my fastest bike the difference was very small. It was also used on a number of century rides and some pretty fast club rides where the folding feature was irrelevant.
Old 02-06-18, 07:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
You really can't bundle all "folding bikes" into one category and judge them as a group. Some of them are excellent bikes, some of them are junk. It seems to be true that designers have trouble making a bike with small wheels that handles as well as one with bigger wheels, but it certainly can be done.

As a general rule, there's an emphasis either on how well the thing folds, or how well it rides. I commute on a folding bike during the summer, when I have to take it on Long Island Railroad trains twice each work day, and for me the emphasis is on being able to fold the bike up quickly, into a package as small as possible. The bike is a bit undergeared (maximum speed somewhere around 25 mph with the pedals spinning as fast as I can) but that really doesn't matter.

I ride a Downtube 8H. Highly recommended.
Old 02-06-18, 08:04 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I borrowed a Brompton for two days during a promo event last summer to see for myself. Put about 60 miles on it, and found it to be ok on the flats and downhill, but really slow uphill. Never quite mastered the 6 speed shifting pattern, and the gear range felt inadequate. This is one bike I am quite happy to never ride again. For around town riding or multimodal with a couple miles riding, suppose it could work.
Old 02-06-18, 08:30 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by alan s
I borrowed a Brompton for two days during a promo event last summer to see for myself. Put about 60 miles on it, and found it to be ok on the flats and downhill, but really slow uphill. Never quite mastered the 6 speed shifting pattern, and the gear range felt inadequate. This is one bike I am quite happy to never ride again. For around town riding or multimodal with a couple miles riding, suppose it could work.
That is also more or less my experience with Bromptons. Some people love them, but they seem overrated to me. I consider this to be a bike designed to fold nicely, which indeed it does, at the expense of riding well.
Old 02-06-18, 01:44 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Love my mu uno for commuting in nicer weather, largely due to the convenience of not seeking out the bike rack. Wouldn’t work as an all weather bike due to the obvious wet mess.
Old 02-07-18, 05:19 AM
oren_hershco
oren_hershco

Bikes: Niner EMD , carbon rigid fork

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About once a week I commute on my Brompton from work to home, about 18km (I take a bus on the way to work at the same day)

Yes, the Brompton doesn't ride like a full size bike. And yes, the gears leave much room for improvement (although they did upgrade the horrible shifters on '17 models)

But:

1. It waits for me under my desk. I don't need to lock it outside, or store it in a remote room where I fear it might get stolen. I also don't have to ride it both directions, because it's so easy to haul back to the office (in advance for the next ride).

2. Occasionally I take it for half a day of arrangements and meetings in the big city. I never lock it outside! I just fold it, and go everywhere with it. It is so small when folded, nobody has ever mentioned anything.

After such a day I either ride back home (~20km) or take the train, where I don't need to bother with the "bike" marked coach.

Last edited by oren_hershco; 02-07-18 at 05:38 AM. Reason: picture didn't upload!
Old 02-07-18, 05:49 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Buy the bike that suits your needs. Keep in mind that every commute is different.
  • Short commute (1 to 2 mile)?
  • Long commute (10+ miles)?
  • Multi-modal commute (bike, bus, subway, tram, etc)?
  • Somewhere in between the above?
Bike storage situations may be different. Covered, Uncovered, Safe, Crime waiting to happen, etc.

And home situations are different. Big garage, small apartment, highrise, etc.

I've got a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. Not the most compact of bikes, except when packed for long distance travel, but not bad either. Other BF models are quicker folding and more compact. I don't get out on it a lot as I prefer my regular road bikes, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for 10+ mile commutes. On the other hand, a generic aluminum folder would need a bunch of updates to make it comfortable for anything more than a few blocks.

Like I said, my folder stays home most of the time since I have better bikes, but I'd choose whatever works for a person.
Old 02-07-18, 09:21 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How long is your commute?
I have a Dahon P8 (love it) and occasionally commute with it from home (11 miles each way), but as I have better bikes for that purpose, I usually don't use it for that. What I have it for is mostly if I have something going on after work with the better half, I'll leave my car parked in my work garage and ride to the event, and then fold it up and put it in her car (Honda Fit) to go home. I'll then ride to work the next day.
I also used to use it when the wife worked close enough to mine I could drive with her and ride to my office, but she has since changed jobs and there isn't a good way of doing that that is less miles than just riding from home.
I'll also put it in the car if we are taking a road trip somewhere using her car

It handles well, I have only had 1 problem, and that was the original shifter was made in a way that the end of the shift cable would dig into the handlebar and gave me shifting problems.

If you do get one with a derailleur, I recommend going 8 speed or more so you have a freehub instead of 7 speed freewheel.
Old 02-07-18, 09:56 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
depends on the distance and elevations
Old 02-07-18, 11:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I took care of the Brompton gear range problem with a 2 speed mountain drive crank, from CH.. brings it down to 17".

Initially bought a hand made bolt on adapter to put a Front Derailleur on.. [ will sell for a 'Benjamin']

like the double planetary double shift better.. 3 gears in low range , then the same 3 again in direct drive range ..
Old 02-10-18, 01:36 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MJBikes99
Does anyone commuting with a folding bike? what brand are you riding ?
I have a DownTube Nova.

If there's a chance you'll need to hop on a train, bus or hitch for a ride to get to your destination, then, the answer is yes.
Old 02-11-18, 01:27 AM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Crappy folding bikes are a lot like crappy full size bikes: they are crappy to ride.

Get a good folding bike, and you'll enjoy your commute a lot. I did 14,000 commuting miles on a Dahon Mariner D7 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I've got a Dahon Mu N360 and am enjoying the ride even more. Set one up the same thoughtfulness and care you would a full size bike and it'll be comfortable and quick. Yes, a full-size is, in my experience, very slightly quicker, but commuting is not a race - I have no need to come into the office sweating like a pig because I just completed a personal-best. The speed difference, BTW, comes from the upright position and the wind resistance that results more than any fundamental issue with gearing or smaller wheels.

And the maximum slight speed reduction is more than offset by the ease with which the bike can be tossed into the trunk of any car, taxi, or Uber, any shopping cart, or in your office or under your desk.

Come to the Folding forum and get some good advice about commuting on a folder.
Old 02-11-18, 12:51 PM
Wennnz

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you do, don't make the mistake I did, which is get a folding bike that you think is a compromise between a standard bike and a folding one.

I got a Dahon Espresso about 10 years ago, and while I still loved it, it was kind of the worst of both worlds. It had 26 inch wheels and only folded in half, so it had basically none of the storage conveniences of a folding bike, and I probably would have been a little more comfortable on a standard 26 inch or 700c bike.
Old 02-12-18, 08:18 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I rode my 20" Bike Friday 15 miles round trip for a while. Now I've got a 16" Bike Friday pakiT and I prefer it. It's under 20lbs, kitted out with velocity A23 rims and race hubs, Shimano 105 calipers, Sugino cranks, etc. I was expecting issues with the even smaller wheels but adapted very quickly and now I don't even notice them - it rides like a full sized bike (built to my specs). And I don't even carry a lock =). I typically put in 20 miles a day on it and I fold it and take it in everywhere. Easily fits under my desk.
Old 02-13-18, 05:41 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I think it mostly depends on how much you have to carry.
Old 02-13-18, 06:20 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
That is also more or less my experience with Bromptons. Some people love them, but they seem overrated to me. I consider this to be a bike designed to fold nicely, which indeed it does, at the expense of riding well.
I ride a Brompton 16 miles rt to work. Once you get used to it, the ride isn't too bad. Also no one complains when I wheel it around the store when grocery shopping. It's smaller than a standard Safeway grocery cart. I do have a full sized single speed and do notice the difference in speed then but I don't race so it doesn't bother me.
Old 02-13-18, 06:30 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by aadhils
I ride a Brompton 16 miles rt to work. Once you get used to it, the ride isn't too bad. Also no one complains when I wheel it around the store when grocery shopping. It's smaller than a standard Safeway grocery cart. I do have a full sized single speed and do notice the difference in speed then but I don't race so it doesn't bother me.
Sure, I totally believe you!

But seriously, I aim a little higher than "not too bad," don't you? My previous Down tube 8H (with the Sturmey Archer 8 hub) was really excellent; my current one (Shimano) is "not too bad," and I really feel the difference.
Old 02-14-18, 03:25 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
Sure, I totally believe you!

But seriously, I aim a little higher than "not too bad," don't you? My previous Down tube 8H (with the Sturmey Archer 8 hub) was really excellent; my current one (Shimano) is "not too bad," and I really feel the difference.
Well once you start riding the Brompton exclusively for a few months then the ride progresses from "not too bad" to "pretty good".

My main reason for keeping the Brompton is that I can easily ride up to a store and buy something for the missus on the way home. I have the shopping basket accessory for that too and its pretty darn convenient. I dare say even more convenient that driving there. Im lucky to have all the major stores that I need intersecting the bike path I use so the detours aint too bad.
Old 02-15-18, 02:56 AM
josh23

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I tried a folding bike with an interest in using it for commuting, but I just don't like how the overly small tires handle. They squirm, the ride isn't great, and they're noteably slower.

Obviously there might be a situation where it wouldn't matter, like if I was just riding a half mile to take a bus downtown or a short trip like that.

I can't see myself using any of the tiny tired versions though. 24" would be the smallest I'd be willing to do. They make some 26" models. Montague makes some 29ers, though their quality level on the one Montague someone I knew was a bit awful (the crank arm broke - the solid metal crank arm that should be nearly impossible to break, a few other things slowly fell apart and broke on the bike as well).
If you're only going half a mille though... why not walk for the hassle it will save You? Getting kitted up, locking the bike, carrying around a helmet all day...

I never saw the point of folders, but maybe I'm missing something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.