Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

6 months without a car in Detroit

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

6 months without a car in Detroit

Old 02-17-18, 01:00 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
Yes, and I have an idea of where you live but I don't mention in posts because I consider it disrespectful to broadcast the area where someone lives in a public forum where some lunatic might read it and try to find and stalk you.
Uh the broadcast started with you. If anything I’m just a little relay station. If you’re worried about stalkers then YOU should watch what you say. Are my posts more public than yours?

Last edited by Walter S; 02-17-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 01:07 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Uh the broadcast started with you. If anything I’m just a little relay station. If you’re worried about stalkers then YOU should watch what you say. Are my posts more public than yours?
I'm just saying I would post personal information about you even if you posted it first. It's unlikely that people are going to go back digging through posts searching for personal info, but the more you repost it, the greater the chance that some crazy person would abuse the information. If you have any respect for human decency, restrict your attacks on me to saying things that don't have any potential to cause me personal risk.
Old 02-17-18, 01:21 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm just saying I would post personal information about you even if you posted it first. It's unlikely that people are going to go back digging through posts searching for personal info, but the more you repost it, the greater the chance that some crazy person would abuse the information. If you have any respect for human decency, restrict your attacks on me to saying things that don't have any potential to cause me personal risk.
You’re drawing quite a lot of attention to yourself with all this dribble about it no?

My profile says where I live. I don’t care and didn’t know you did either particularly because you shared in a public post. In fact you were much more specific than just the name of the state.

Again, you made it public not me. Watch your mouth if you feel so personally threatened.
Old 02-17-18, 02:43 PM
tandempower

You’re drawing quite a lot of attention to yourself with all this dribble about it no?
Idk, but all I'm asking is for you to understand to avoid explicating personal information and instead you want to debate. What's so hard about basic respect?

My profile says where I live. I don’t care and didn’t know you did either particularly because you shared in a public post. In fact you were much more specific than just the name of the state.

Again, you made it public not me. Watch your mouth if you feel so personally threatened.
I don't think it's asking too much for you to avoid pursuing personal aspects of my life in your posts.
Old 02-17-18, 03:06 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think it's asking too much for you to avoid pursuing personal aspects of my life in your posts.
I’m not pursuing anything. I just referenced some public knowledge that you now claim to be sensitive. I had no way of knowing you would expect information shared on a public forum to not be repeated in any context. Why can’t you drop it? What are you looking for? An apology?
Old 02-17-18, 03:08 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts

Dude we have had a lot of debates over the years and many times on different sides. But some of the best advice given in the forum neither of us seem to heed. Debating this one poster never has a positive outcome. It is close to hopeless.

How can we respond to someone that believes people starve, get cold or too hot because they are obstinate adults and or children? How do you defend knowing where someone says they live as if knowing that is your fault even if the person them self released the information? Cannot be done I am afraid.
Old 02-17-18, 03:18 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Dude we have had a lot of debates over the years and many times on different sides. But some of the best advice given in the forum neither of us seem to heed. Debating this one poster never has a positive outcome. It is close to hopeless.

How can we respond to someone that believes people starve, get cold or too hot because they are obstinate adults and or children? How do you defend knowing where someone says they live as if knowing that is your fault even if the person them self released the information? Cannot be done I am afraid.
I bet he wouldn’t care about me saying where he lives if he were preaching about coping with cold from his igloo in Canada.
Old 02-17-18, 07:55 PM
tandempower

I’m not pursuing anything. I just referenced some public knowledge that you now claim to be sensitive. I had no way of knowing you would expect information shared on a public forum to not be repeated in any context. Why can’t you drop it? What are you looking for? An apology?
An apology would be decent, but I don't expect it. I don't see why you can't acknowledge that it's better to just leave personal information like location out of your posts, even if someone posted such information at some point themselves in the past. Do you really hate me so much on a personal level that you would want to post potentially harmful information about me publicly? Are you really that malicious, or just so pride-defensive that you refuse to admit you're wrong and agree with me that it would be better to avoid including such information in posts?
Old 02-18-18, 01:11 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Did you just think of this all on your own?

People (and all life on land including you) have depended on natural processes of evaporation and precipitation for hundreds of millions of years. Do you think the people that promote desalination don't know that?? Or is it possible that in some parts of the world the demand for water outstrips the available supply found thru rainfall?

While I won't claim desalination techniques that exist today are a good general solution, it's just childish to think that people don't realize that rainfall is a much less costly method of obtaining fresh water when available.
And yet people don't seem to realize it. At least they settle in areas (like Dubai and many other places) where there is no fresh water, then figure out expensive ways to obtain it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-18-18, 02:58 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An apology would be decent, but I don't expect it. I don't see why you can't acknowledge that it's better to just leave personal information like location out of your posts, even if someone posted such information at some point themselves in the past. Do you really hate me so much on a personal level that you would want to post potentially harmful information about me publicly? Are you really that malicious, or just so pride-defensive that you refuse to admit you're wrong and agree with me that it would be better to avoid including such information in posts?
I find you more amusing than hateful. Again, I posted less personal detail on you than you did on yourself. You reveal personal details about yourself on the internet and expect to somehow control the dissemination of that information? Or do you just hate yourself so much on a personal level that you would want to post potentially harmful information about yourself publically?

Last edited by Walter S; 02-18-18 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-18-18, 03:03 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
And yet people don't seem to realize it. At least they settle in areas (like Dubai and many other places) where there is no fresh water, then figure out expensive ways to obtain it.
I doubt droves of people flock to a place that has no reasonable access to water. Sustainable populations grow over time into unsustainable populations as people have babies one at a time over the years and/or climate patterns change. Or people have increasingly less water because of other growing areas nearby soaking up the supply. Combine that with the fact that underground water tables (where most drinking water comes from) are sinking as water is taken out faster than it can be naturally replaced.

There are too many people on the planet and that's starting to show itself. More and more places that used to have adequate water supplies will not if the trend continues. That's why water utilities have become a very hot investment in recent years. Water is expected to get much more expensive over the new couple decades.

Last edited by Walter S; 02-18-18 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-18-18, 08:16 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Walter S ... abandon power ... LCF is an almost insurmountable burden voluntarily embraced by no one save and except a few quixotics > 5+ years of being in the car free prison when i was younger and now biking to my liking but i own a car ... this thread is politics wo the pols & religions ... i can say that the car free mormon missionaries who regularly visit me on their BIKES so that we can trade missionary tales and talk BIKE living are the purest example of LCF that i have encountered
Old 02-18-18, 09:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
More entertainment related to the rantings and lifestyles of street corner style Internet preachers/holy rollers:

Good luck trying to have a "constructive discussion" with one of 'em!

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-18-18 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-18-18, 11:23 AM
tandempower

I find you more amusing than hateful. Again, I posted less personal detail on you than you did on yourself. You reveal personal details about yourself on the internet and expect to somehow control the dissemination of that information? Or do you just hate yourself so much on a personal level that you would want to post potentially harmful information about yourself publically?
Sometimes I say things that can be correlated with certain areas. I try to be as vague as possible while giving enough information to contextualize what I am saying. Why do you keep arguing instead of just agreeing that it's better to minimize what we say about our knowledge of each other on a personal level?
Old 02-18-18, 01:56 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes I say things that can be correlated with certain areas. I try to be as vague as possible while giving enough information to contextualize what I am saying. Why do you keep arguing instead of just agreeing that it's better to minimize what we say about our knowledge of each other on a personal level?
I think it’s better to limit personal data coming from you. You think you can support your arguments with personal information that nobody else can repeat. You should limit what you say about yourself rather than give out personal information and expect me to know you consider sensitive.
Old 02-18-18, 02:15 PM
tandempower

I think it’s better to limit personal data coming from you. You think you can support your arguments with personal information that nobody else can repeat. You should limit what you say about yourself rather than give out personal information and expect me to know you consider sensitive.
Ok, you won't/can't take any responsibility so there's no point discussing it further. Watch out for the time someone says something about you that you don't want them to say and then they blame you for enabling it instead of simply apologizing and trying to avoid doing it again.
Old 02-18-18, 02:48 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, you won't/can't take any responsibility so there's no point discussing it further. Watch out for the time someone says something about you that you don't want them to say and then they blame you for enabling it instead of simply apologizing and trying to avoid doing it again.
No worries. I have nothing to hide. Why should I apologize? How was I to know you're stupid enough to blab where you live and then get pissed when people make reference to that info? I thought you saying where you live means you don't care if people know, since obviously it's pretty dumb to do that when you don't want the information known. So I mistakenly credited you with more intelligence than that in making my assumptions. I'll do better next time

Last edited by Walter S; 02-18-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 05:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Ok, you won't/can't take any responsibility
Why should anyone else take responsibility for something YOU said? You man up, and take responsibility, how about that?

You guys are hilarious. Tandem is the perfect straight man--he has absolutely no idea the things he says are howlingly funny in themselves and also the perfect set-up for even funnier responses.
Old 02-18-18, 05:30 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Why should anyone else take responsibility for something YOU said? You man up, and take responsibility, how about that?

You guys are hilarious. Tandem is the perfect straight man--he has absolutely no idea the things he says are howlingly funny in themselves and also the perfect set-up for even funnier responses.
Please don't spoil my entertainment while I'm shut in til spring
Old 02-19-18, 01:46 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Maelochs

People take responsibility for respecting others sometimes, if their pride doesn't prevent them from admitting when they're wrong.
Old 02-19-18, 02:57 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People take responsibility for respecting others sometimes, if their pride doesn't prevent them from admitting when they're wrong.
I freely admit that you think I was wrong

But if you think it is wrong to refer to a little subset of the personal information that you yourself share publicly then you really might want to reflect on that some. Ha!
Old 02-19-18, 03:09 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts

But if you think it is wrong to refer to a little subset of the personal information that you yourself share publicly then you really might want to reflect on that some. Ha!

I guess he simply doesn't remember the people that were concerned back when Irma hit the US. Doesn't remember anyone asking about evacuations.
Old 02-19-18, 03:59 PM
tandempower

Why condescend? Why not just stop talking about it if you don't have anything nice to say?

You never know when some crazy person is going to misuse information. Best not to repeat personal information, even if it was shared publicly.
Old 02-19-18, 04:11 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why condescend? Why not just stop talking about it if you don't have anything nice to say?
I will when you do.
Old 02-19-18, 06:24 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I guess he simply doesn't remember the people that were concerned back when Irma hit the US. Doesn't remember anyone asking about evacuations.
Of course I do, but the point isn't people who are thoughtful and concerned. The point is that some people might figure out where someone is and stalk them for some insane reason. For me, disagreements are just verbal but some people take it further, in case you haven't noticed from reading the news everyday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.