Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

gatorskins 28mm

Old 02-04-18, 09:55 PM
Mongo267

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gatorskins 28mm

Gatorskins 28mm are what I use to commute 33miles every other day. The tires are at 100psi and I'm 300lbs. Is there a better tire for less flats and better ride than the Gatorskins? Thanks
Old 02-04-18, 10:30 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
I will move this thread to the Clydesdales forum where you will get many more responses.
Old 02-04-18, 10:49 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongo267
Gatorskins 28mm are what I use to commute 33miles every other day. The tires are at 100psi and I'm 300lbs. Is there a better tire for less flats and better ride than the Gatorskins? Thanks
Depends on your frame and what size tire it can accommodate. I am 300ish and am currently on 32s and run no more than 70 PSI and do just fine. Nice and cushy. Just some cheap origin8 tires. If you say what you are riding and can determine what width tire your frame can fit you will get lot of recommendations.
Old 02-05-18, 01:56 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
i like panaracer gravel king file thread style over the harder rubber of gatorskins.

Usually $40 for GK vs $55 for gators
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-05-18, 07:16 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can go to the Gator Hardshells for less flats.

Can go to the 4Seasons for better ride.
Old 02-11-18, 02:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
what will reduce flats may not offer a more comfortable ride , so which do you consider of primary importance?

above post offers 2 paths..

I go years without flat tires because I fitted heavy thorn resistant tubes .. in a tire with a puncture resistant tread band..

Old 02-12-18, 03:35 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Something else might be wrong.

I've run gatorskins for 5 years and approximately 20,000 miles. I weigh 220 and use 25's. I've had one flat over that time span running exclusively on gatorskins. I did have a flat last year but that was due to me not getting the tube seated correctly and I ended up flatting about 5 miles from home. That flat was not caused by the road but by me getting it pinched.

Other than that, I had one flat. A pinch flat to boot too. Hit a pot hole and that did it. I've had no flats from glass, sticks or any other road debris. I swear by gatorskins. As you can see I've had great luck with them but I also do not run to the right of the white line on the road. That is where all the crap is and I refuse to run to the right of the white line. I was told long ago, the further you move right, the further the cars will move right. I've stayed religious with that and this could also contribute to my lack of flats.

I should say too that I ride on pretty smooth roads. No gravel or really broken up roads.

So, for my money, you cannot beat gatorskins. Of course you also have to watch were you are riding and try and avoid as many road hazards as you can. Ohh, I run Conti tubes too but I tend to run my tires around 115 psi. 100 for me seems like I am riding on a flat. The 25's I run go to 120 psi and I have run them at 120 too without flatting out.

Basically, I change out my tires once a year in the Spring to start my season and I have left them alone after that. I easily get 3,000 miles on my tires and have run them over 4,000 miles but again, I am very careful about road surfaces and debris.

john
Old 02-12-18, 05:01 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
What I would say is check up with riders in your area and see what they have success with.

Over the years of reading many many such posts, there is definitely a case of some tyres work better in certain areas with certain kinds of road obstacles/debris. While Contis may work in one area, they may be terrible for users in another area with different roads and debris. So check up with other riders in your area would be my first point.

I'm a Conti fanboy and I run GP4000S2 in 25mm, BUT I run Mr Tuffy tyre liners inside them for riding and racing. I have had 2 flats in maybe 7 years (maybe more). One was a piece of tyre wire bead that worked through the liner, the second was a piece of glass that slashed the sidewall above the liner. I have had slow leaks in that time too, but that has been worn out tubes rather than punctures.
Old 02-14-18, 03:07 PM
Mongo267

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gatorskins

Thanks for all the info and advice. The gatorskins I have may just be worn out, most of the flats I get are from wires. I did purchase the bike used and am not sure how many miles are on the tires. I have not tried the tubes you’ve suggested but I will look into them. I ride a busy highway and city streets and try to stay out of the dirt on the roads as much as possible. Thanks again, Chris
Old 02-14-18, 03:19 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I've used gators but found that the Schwalbe Durano plus offers the same puncture protection, feels faster and grips better in the wet

I won't buy either again, .... the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season has a bit less puncture protection, (rarely flats), and rolls faster
Old 02-21-18, 10:52 AM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the info and advice. The gatorskins I have may just be worn out, most of the flats I get are from wires. I did purchase the bike used and am not sure how many miles are on the tires. I have not tried the tubes you’ve suggested but I will look into them. I ride a busy highway and city streets and try to stay out of the dirt on the roads as much as possible. Thanks again, Chris
Just curious what you mean by getting flats "from wires" ?

I have used gator skins for years with no flats. I'd wonder if you might have some glass worked into the rubber that occasionally gets pushed further in, thus puncturing the tube, when you hit a bump.