Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

bad rear shock?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

bad rear shock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 12:31 PM
bikeviking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bad rear shock?

I have a 2009 kona dawgma and the rear shock is extremely stiff. I weigh 215 pounds and I cannot get it to move at all unless I lower the pressure below 100. Does this seem right? FYI I have never owned a mountain bike before, judging by what I have read I believe the proper pressure should be closer to 165psi. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-13-18, 08:00 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeviking
I have a 2009 kona dawgma and the rear shock is extremely stiff. I weigh 215 pounds and I cannot get it to move at all unless I lower the pressure below 100. Does this seem right? FYI I have never owned a mountain bike before, judging by what I have read I believe the proper pressure should be closer to 165psi. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Pressured can vary a lot for a given rider weight based on the frame and shock in question, but 100psi does sound way too low for your weight on any modern bike.

Did you just aquire this bike used? If so, and this shock is 9 years old, it may be in dire need of a servicing if it never had one before.

What shock is this (brand and model)?

Can I assume you have already disengaged any lockout or stiff pro-pedal setting, if present?

When you lower the pressure enough so that you can compress the rear suspension, is it smooth? Or does it feel like it needs to break free from some sticky-ness?
Old 02-13-18, 03:49 PM
bikeviking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Pressured can vary a lot for a given rider weight based on the frame and shock in question, but 100psi does sound way too low for your weight on any modern bike.

Did you just aquire this bike used? If so, and this shock is 9 years old, it may be in dire need of a servicing if it never had one before.

What shock is this (brand and model)?

Can I assume you have already disengaged any lockout or stiff pro-pedal setting, if present?

When you lower the pressure enough so that you can compress the rear suspension, is it smooth? Or does it feel like it needs to break free from some sticky-ness?
I took it to my local bike shop to have them do a full tune up on it. Hopefully they figure it out. Thanks for the information!