Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Buying a bike via CL in a far away town

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-20-18, 09:43 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts

So I'm thinking of buying a bike in a town that is too far away drive to that I found on craigslist. One immediate issue is that the price jumps considerably once you have a bike shop pack and ship it (I'm estimating $150-$200). Another is inspection but a facilitator can help and I have a good vibe from the seller.

I'm curious whether others here have done this and if they would not mind sharing their experiences, good or bad. I'll likely use paypal to pay the seller; a credit card to pay the bike shop that is doing the boxing and shipping.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-20-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 10:19 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Where is it located? Ive had a couple BF members facilitate for me with excellent experiences. I find a lot of nice deals on my "local" craigslist, but once I figure in $20 for gas and another $10 for lunch sometimes it ends up not being such a great deal. Ya really got to want it.
Old 02-20-18, 10:22 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
What are you thinking of buying**********

Edit: I quite often see ones I really want but the shipping stops me. I appreciate you bringing that one to our Des Moines store for me! That saved me a bunch!

Last edited by deephate; 02-20-18 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 10:30 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Have done this several times, all have worked out very well. Pay the seller with PayPal, pay the packing shop with credit card ($50 usually), then use BikeFlights to ship, send the BF lBel to the packing shop and pay for pickup. Using my own BF account saves some on shipping.
Old 02-20-18, 10:49 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,360 Times in 7,195 Posts
....I have facilitated a couple of CL purchases of "special" bikes off the local CL here for people on the forum.

Personally, with all the strange experiences I've had with CL, I wouldn't buy off it without either a personal inspection or someone knowledgeable doing it for me. It will probably go OK, but if it does not, your recourse is pretty much zero.
Old 02-20-18, 11:10 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Needs to be something special to make it worthwhile. While some areas you can have a LBS pack for $50, other areas it could be $150. I've typically tied it to a later road trip and picked it up then. I palpal'd a down payment on one this trip and picked it up no problem.

Being able to pick up the bike changes the economics dramatically!

Although you as a buyer take all the risk, in the end, most sellers are honest. But like gambling, don't risk money you can't afford to lose.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-20-18 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 11:56 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
The one I did went ok, but the guy has a big ebay presense so that was good to go on.
Old 02-20-18, 12:45 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
I’ve bought two bikes this way. I had the seller deliver the goods to the LBS. They inspected and packaged. I paid the shop for the packing, BF shipping, and the cost of the bike. They in turn paid the seller. My last purchase cost me an additional $110 for packaging and BF shipping.
Old 02-20-18, 12:54 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I have picked one up like that. The girl took it to a UPS store or somewhere. They charged $30 for the box and packed for free. They took some instruction and did a nice job but then filled the box entirely with peanuts that are a pain when opening. I paid for bike flights and they picked up from UPS store. Total was like $110 or so packed and shipped. She just dropped off for me and I emailed the bike flights tag to store.
Old 02-20-18, 01:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The biggest issue is to get sellers to actually talk to you.

I've had some sellers that never respond if I say that I'm 100 miles away, or ask about shipping.

There is some trust in the transactions. For example, PayPal "Friends and Family" is free, but has no "disputes". On the other hand, you get some insurance using a normal commercial PayPal transaction, I believe even for transactions done via e-mail, but someone has to pay the extra fees.

I've done a few long distance transactions that turned out fine.
Old 02-20-18, 06:23 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I had a friend facilitate a CL purchase on the far coast. The seller was cool, no issues.
I packed and shipped the bike to myself, months later, the next time I visited my friend.
Old 02-20-18, 08:11 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I bought a Lemond from the UP of Michigan. The seller took it to a bike shop in town and I contacted them, paid for packing, and sent them a bikeflights label. Worked out just fine. I also bought an older cannondale in Kansas City through ebay, and had a BF member facilitate the purchase on his end. he chose the bike shop, knowing the shops far better than i could. I contacted them, paid them for packing, and sent them a bikeflights label. Worked out great.

I was fortunate that the bikes were as described and photographed, and neither had any shipping damage to contend with. I'm certain that not every transaction goes smoothly, but a little due diligence will help, along with a bit of good luck.

Given similar circumstances I would not hesitate to buy this way again.
Old 02-20-18, 08:41 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've purchased most of my bikes from sellers more than a 500 miles away. Remote Craigslist sales are a gamble if you are depending on the seller to drop off the bike at a local bike shop. Fortunately, I've never had a loss or disappointment. However, buyer-beware applies.

I'd do it again, but only for a grail bike at a phenomenal price. I'd not spend more than $600 without a local facilitator.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-21-18 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 08:42 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
I bought my tandem off eBay. It was in Fresno, CA. Local facilitator picked up for me, pronounced it in great shape and shipped it. Only thing was he did not wait for me to provide a shipping label and I paid probably twice as much for shipping.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-20-18, 09:12 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
This;

Originally Posted by rccardr
Have done this several times, all have worked out very well. Pay the seller with PayPal, pay the packing shop with credit card ($50 usually), then use BikeFlights to ship, send the BF lBel to the packing shop and pay for pickup. Using my own BF account saves some on shipping.
I've done this several times - the biggest hurdle is sometimes convincing the seller that you are serious. PayPal to seller, drops bike at pre-arraigned local shop (helps if it's someone they have worked with), shop is paid for packing & shipping with a CC. Works well, especially when the purchase price is low enough to make up the differnce of pack & ship.
Old 02-20-18, 09:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I bought an MB-0 for a member last spring on the local CL.
He paypal'd me $, i bought and shipped, and everyone was happy.

The seller was shocmed it was all legit as the actual buyer was up in Canada. The seller figured it was a scam.

Itd be tough to trust the cosmetic condition from afar. Not much different than ebay though.

Mig- post pics once you get the bike!